How bad do you guys miss Pennington right now?

tfine

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

that is such a silly thing to say, worst QB in Jets history.  you are smarter than that.

best core of O and D players? what? BP left us in cap hell, if not for the expansion draft we would have been a team full of UDFAs in 2002.

Again, some of the best offensive and defensive talent we've had in the last 40 years was given to Chad and through incompetence and injury he wasted it all:

Curtis Martin
Kevin Mawae
Leon Washington
David Harris
Darrelle Revis
Kerry Rhodes
Jonathan Vilma
Sean Ellis
Brad Smith
Jericho Cotchery
Santana Moss
Richie Anderson
Wayne Chrebet
Marvin Jones
Mo Lewis
John Abraham
Jason Ferguson

All these Jets passed through the Pennington era, I don't think Brett Favre, Mark Sanchez, and Ryan Fitzpatrick combined had half the playmakers available to Pennington.

SAR I

As we continue to answer the question of whether so-called "writers" spend their time creeping along message boards to come up with their writing material, I just had a buddy of mine forward me an article titled "Ryan Fitzpatrick was Chad Pennington 2.0 on the Jets".  I won't waste your time with it, but all I will say is, as shocking as it may seem to some, the article was not particularly complimentary of either player.  What a funny coincidence, huh?

30 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

I will never understand how someone can be such and ardent opponent of Chadwick, yet turn around and vehemently defend Marky Mark. It's baffling.  

Because Marky Mark was actually capable of beating a good defense

14 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Ken O'Brien was drafted i 1983, we had a young team full of talent that just reached the AFC Championship game.  He never won a SINGLE playoff game as a starting QB for the Jets BUT when he was benched in 1986 his BACKUP won a playoff game and I believe left w/ the lead a week later before Ken came in and destroyed our SB dreams.  

so how come when Chad was injured(w/ a severe injury to his throwing shoulder) he led us to the doorstep of the title game?  I love to win which is why I like Chad and Mark more than Favre(who sabotaged a SB chance) and O'Brien.

Mangini and Schitty are the guys who sabotaged us in 2008 not Favre

Mangini's soft defensive playcalling made every qb who faced us last quarter of the season look like Joe Montana.  Schitty refused to alter the playbook to accomodate the WCO Favre was used to and knew like the back of his hand 

53 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

As we continue to answer the question of whether so-called "writers" spend their time creeping along message boards to come up with their writing material, I just had a buddy of mine forward me an article titled "Ryan Fitzpatrick was Chad Pennington 2.0 on the Jets".  I won't waste your time with it, but all I will say is, as shocking as it may seem to some, the article was not particularly complimentary of either player.  What a funny coincidence, huh?

Pennington = Ghostbusters

Fitz = Ghostbusters 2

Petty/Hack = Ghostbusters female remake

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

Again, some of the best offensive and defensive talent we've had in the last 40 years was given to Chad and through incompetence and injury he wasted it all:

Curtis Martin
Kevin Mawae
Leon Washington
David Harris
Darrelle Revis
Kerry Rhodes
Jonathan Vilma
Sean Ellis
Brad Smith
Jericho Cotchery
Santana Moss
Richie Anderson
Wayne Chrebet
Marvin Jones
Mo Lewis
John Abraham
Jason Ferguson

All these Jets passed through the Pennington era, I don't think Brett Favre, Mark Sanchez, and Ryan Fitzpatrick combined had half the playmakers available to Pennington.

SAR I

I'm no fan of Chad but I would take our current group of WRs over any Chad had.

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

Curtis Martin
Kevin Mawae
Leon Washington
David Harris
Darrelle Revis
Kerry Rhodes
Jonathan Vilma
Sean Ellis
Brad Smith
Jericho Cotchery
Santana Moss
Richie Anderson
Wayne Chrebet
Marvin Jones
Mo Lewis
John Abraham
Jason Ferguson

SAR I

Curtis was near the end of his career when Chad became starter(and don't you hate Curtis so how can you bash him then prop him up here?)

Mawae was at end of Jets career here

made playoffs w/ Leon in only healthy season, only played 2 seasons w/ him

Only played one season w/ Harris where he started half the year

Only played one season w/ Revis where he played half the year

played one healthy season w/ Rhodes

don't you hate Vilma? how can you bash him and then prop him up here? either way made playoffs in 2 healthy years he played w/ Vilma

Made playoffs 3 times w/ Ellis

Made playoffs only healthy season w/ Smith

Made playoffs twice w/ Cotch

Only had Moss for 3 seasons, made playoffs twice w/ him

had richie anderson for 1 season, won div title

Had Chrebet as starter for one season, won div title

Had Jones for 2 seasons, won div title in healthy season

had Mo for 2 seasons., won div title in healthy one and do you remember Mo and Marvin those last 2 years?  slow Mo, etc...?

Abe was always hurt, played 2 seasons where both were healthy at the same time.  Made playoffs each time

Played w/ Ferg for 3 years, made playoffs two of them.

you were saying?

8 hours ago, thadude said:

Mangini and Schitty are the guys who sabotaged us in 2008 not Favre

Mangini's soft defensive playcalling made every qb who faced us last quarter of the season look like Joe Montana.  Schitty refused to alter the playbook to accomodate the WCO Favre was used to and knew like the back of his hand 

Schottenheimer changed the entire offense to make Favre comfortable, it didn't work.  the only game we won late in that season our D scored a TD late against a bad Bills team when all they had to do was run out the clock.

Favre sabotaged us, he cost us a div title and beyond.

9 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

fitz wasn't half the QB Chad or Mark were.  

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm no fan of Chad but I would take our current group of WRs over any Chad had.

Not so sure about that. 

Chrebet was a better Decker.  There was no Marshall equivalent, but there is no Moss equivalent either.  So perhaps Chad had a slight edge on Fitzpatrick's WR weapons with a deep burner (ironically, that he couldn't hit) and perhaps Fitzpatrick had it worse because Chrebet was better than Decker.

But it's not just about WR's.  Chad had a Hall Of Fame running back in Curtis Martin, a Pro Bowl fullback in Ritchie Anderson, the all-world speedster Leon Washington, and a defense with all the stars of the Ryan/Bowles Jets just younger and faster.

SAR I

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Curtis was near the end of his career when Chad became starter(and don't you hate Curtis so how can you bash him then prop him up here?)

you were saying?

Your point:  "Chad didn't have a great team around him like Sanchez did."

My point:  "Yes he did, perhaps better, they were younger, and a lot fewer of the over-the-hill free agent types."

Chad's career was longer, he bridged the Parcells to Mangini years, all the players I mentioned were great Jets and whether 1 season or 3 seasons Chad Pennington had them at his disposal.  The fact that we made the playoffs every year Chad was healthy should tell you something.  He led a very good Jets team on all sides of the ball.

SAR I

I'm honestly amazed anyone still defends Sanchez given what we know now.

Lets summarize:

1. Drafted 6th overall, more on "potential" than any actual resume or career in college.  A textbook reach drafted far higher than his career warranted.

2. Carried bodily through all of his regular seasons here by the talented team around him.  His ineptitude and inability to understand the playbook were constant issues in the time.

3. For two seasons, he played much better once his teams reached the playoffs.  In those brief periods, he was an acceptable pro-level QB.

4. After those two years, he failed completely here.  He devolved.  He was cut loose.

5. He went to Philli.  And failed completely and was tossed away.

6. He went to Denver.  And failed completely vs. an UDFA and a very green draft pick.  He was tossed away.

7. He is currently the #3 in Dallas, behind a rookie and a guy who has no ability to stay healthy for more than 5 minutes.

So lets see.  No real success outside those few playoff games, playoff games he himself did very little to get to, and is now wasting away at #3 in his 4th different stop.  Safe to presume he'll be either at stop #5 or out of the league next year.

He, like Geno, will go down in Jets history as a total bust of a draft pick.  Drafted too high, performed well below expectations, was a liabillity not an asset, and only his brief period of quality play in those playoff games make him anything more than one of our worst picks at QB in our history.

34 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Your point:  "Chad didn't have a great team around him like Sanchez did."

My point:  "Yes he did, perhaps better, they were younger, and a lot fewer of the over-the-hill free agent types."

Chad's career was longer, he bridged the Parcells to Mangini years, all the players I mentioned were great Jets and whether 1 season or 3 seasons Chad Pennington had them at his disposal.  The fact that we made the playoffs every year Chad was healthy should tell you something.  He led a very good Jets team on all sides of the ball.

SAR I

I never said Chad didn't have talent around him, you must be confusing me w/ someone else.  Both Chad and Mark(early on) had playoff caliber talent around them but we had to completely retool following 2001 b/c of the mess Parcells left us w/ the cap.  again, if not for the expansion draft we would have had no chance to compete in 2002 but we won the division thanks to moves that were made.  BP was an all time great coach, he was a mediocre/bad GM type.

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Lets summarize:

1. Drafted 6th overall, more on "potential" than any actual resume or career in college.  A textbook reach drafted far higher than his career warranted.

2. Carried bodily through all of his regular seasons here by the talented team around him.  His ineptitude and inability to understand the playbook were constant issues in the time.

3. For two seasons, he played much better once his teams reached the playoffs.  In those brief periods, he was an acceptable pro-level QB.

4. After those two years, he failed completely here.  He devolved.  He was cut loose.

5. He went to Philli.  And failed completely and was tossed away.

6. He went to Denver.  And failed completely vs. an UDFA and a very green draft pick.  He was tossed away.

7. He is currently the #3 in Dallas, behind a rookie and a guy who has no ability to stay healthy for more than 5 minutes.

So lets see.  No real success outside those few playoff games, playoff games he himself did very little to get to, and is now wasting away at #3 in his 4th different stop.  Safe to presume he'll be either at stop #5 or out of the league next year.

He, like Geno, will go down in Jets history as a total bust of a draft pick.  Drafted too high, performed well below expectations, was a liabillity not an asset, and only his brief period of quality play in those playoff games make him anything more than one of our worst picks at QB in our history.

1. ok, all players are drfated based on potential.

2. this is simply untrue, maybe parts of year one but Mark did some of the carrying in year 2.  how many games did he and the pass O pull out late in year 2?

3. he played really well in the playoffs.

4. his main weapons in 2012 were rookie stephen hill, Chaz Schilens and Clyde Gates.  

5. he went to Philly and played excellent football in 2014, improved that O by almost a TD per game against the tougher part of their sched.

6. didn't fail at all in denver, he was an insurance policy if the young guys weren't ready.  

7. will be #2 next year and was invaluable to Dak.  that rookie is a legit pro bowler, led a team to 13 wins.

Just now, nyjunc said:

1. ok, all players are drfated based on potential.

2. this is simply untrue, maybe parts of year one but Mark did some of the carrying in year 2.  how many games did he and the pass O pull out late in year 2?

3. he played really well in the playoffs.

4. his main weapons in 2012 were rookie stephen hill, Chaz Schilens and Clyde Gates.  

5. he went to Philly and played excellent football in 2014, improved that O by almost a TD per game against the tougher part of their sched.

6. didn't fail at all in denver, he was an insurance policy if the young guys weren't ready.  

7. will be #2 next year and was invaluable to Dak.  that rookie is a legit pro bowler, led a team to 13 wins.

Jets Fans, in endless love with JAG's and failures since 1971.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

yep, it sure sucked coming closer to a SB than at any other point in my life.  damn that sanchez guy!  I'm much happier w/ Fitz!

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Invaluable to Dak.  Invaluable.

http://www.espn.com/blog/onenacion/post/_/id/6045/the-dak-prescott-and-mark-sanchez-connection

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-corner-blog/article113880788.html

http://sportige.com/nfl-rumors-quarterback-friends-dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-mark-sanchez-104996/

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

As the foremost leading expert at making up hypotheticals, what do would Prescott's and the Cowboys record have been this season without the invaluable mentorship provided by Mark Sanchez?

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Will you ******* stop? That team lost 5 games.  In four of them they didn't break double digits in points. Hell, against the Ravens they didn't break double digits in first downs!  ******* kid.  Yay, he "pulled out" OT wins against Detroit and the Browns.  Yippee!

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not defending Sanchez, but he does have a place in team history as a prolific postseason quarterback and did lead the team to an 18-4 run at one point, the best such streak we've seen.

In the context of this thread, Mark Sanchez is superior to Chad Pennington.  That's all that's being said.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Will you ******* stop? That team lost 5 games.  In four of them they didn't break double digits in points. Hell, against the Ravens they didn't break double digits in first downs!  ******* kid.  Yay, he "pulled out" OT wins against Detroit and the Browns.  Yippee!

did you watch the Baltimore game?  while he and the O played poorly allowing a million 3rd and longs and allowing Bal to control the clock for 40 minutes sure didn't help.

next loss was weather related, 9-0 to GB where the last 2 FGs were set up by bogus TOs that they credited to Mark.

next loss was 45-3 to NE, I would say the whole team sucked, right?

next was 10-6 to Miami, do you think Holmes dropping this easy TD hurt the team or helped them? or did mark do something to the ball?

9117047-large.jpg

as far as the comebacks:

at denver, trailed 17-10 entering 4th, tuied game up, D gave it back.  trailing 20-17 on 4th down scrambled, kept play alive and threw the ball downfield to allow his WER a chance to make a play.  the WR was interfered w/ and it set up GW TD.  24-20, is allowing 20 pts a great defensive effort?

at detroit: gave Jets 10-7 lead at half w/ 74 yd TD at end of 1st half. D gave it back on 1st possession of 2nd half.  Trailing 20-10(again is 20 a great effort?) w/ under 4 mins left led us to 10 pts then finished game on 1st possession of OT.

at Cle: Cle was on 2 game win streak having beatn NO 30-17 at NO and then whipping some team called the Patriots 34-14(one of 2 reg season losses that year, can't think of who the other team to beat them was?).  O controlled the clock for over 40 minutes and gave the D a 20-13 lead late, of course the D blew it and we went to OT.  Late in Ot Mark led TD winning drive in final minute.  again, D allowed 20 pts including blowing late game lead.  Our K also missed THREE kicks(48, 24 and 47) but Sanchez did nothing.

vs. Houston: Jets had 23-7 lead in FOURTH QUARTER.  D blew it, we trailed 27-23 w/ :49 secs left at our own 28 yard line w/ NO timeouts needing a TD.  so we needed to go 72 yards in 49 secs w/ no TOs.  

Oh and in the playoffs on the road at Indy.  The D played well this day but of course did blow a late lead.  Mark got the ball back w/ 45 secs at NYJ 46 and set up chip shot FG for the win.  but yeah, he was just along for the ride.

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wait.

So you think if the Jets drafted Tom Brady he'd have won us multiple Super Bowl's and would be headed to the Hall Of Fame?

Of if Bill Belichick had drafted Chad Pennington or Mark Sanchez wouldn't they have done just as well?

SAR I

48 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

yep, it sure sucked coming closer to a SB than at any other point in my life.  damn that sanchez guy!  I'm much happier w/ Fitz!

Oh look, a wild Strawman has appeared!

Let me educate you:

1. The Defense and the talent around Sanchez is what got you close.  Not Sanchez. 

2. There are more options at QB than "Sanchez" or "Fitz".  It's not an either or.  And unlike you, pining for a loser and failure at QB, I'm happy to say Fitz sucked and needed dumped and that we should never have anythign to do with him again.

3. If fans like you had their way, 2017 would be a battle between Sanchez and Geno for our #1 QB spot.  Exciting! 

Sanchez sucked in the regular seasons and was carried.  Denial won't change it.  Not will fluffing Sanchez by crediting him for Dak's play, lol!

If you want to pine for a total bust, so be it, you'll be in good company here given the still large number of "We want Geno back, fair chance, weapons" fans.

Wake me in a few years when this thread is re-titled "Geno vs. Pennington, Geno Clearly Superior!"

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Oh look, a wild Strawman has appeared!

Let me educate you:

1. The Defense and the talent around Sanchez is what got you close.  Not Sanchez. 

2. There are more options at QB than "Sanchez" or "Fitz".  It's not an either or.  And unlike you, pining for a loser and failure at QB, I'm happy to say Fitz sucked and needed dumped and that we should never have anythign to do with him again.

3. If fans like you had their way, 2017 would be a battle between Sanchez and Geno for our #1 QB spot.  Exciting! 

Sanchez sucked in the regular seasons and was carried.  Denial won't change it.  Not will fluffing Sanchez by crediting him for Dak's play, lol!

If you want to pine for a total bust, so be it, you'll be in good company here given the still large number of "We want Geno back, fair chance, weapons" fans.

Wake me in a few years when this thread is re-titled "Geno vs. Pennington, Geno Clearly Superior!"

1. where did I say the D didn't lead us? the talent around us in 2009 was similar to 2008 w/ Favre and no  Brady, did you enjoy that title game run?

2. oh so we'll just go to the franchise QB store and pick one up.  thanks for letting me know.

3. if fans like you had their way we'd fire HCs and GMs every year, cut QBs every year. if we had Mark in 2013 and 2015 we would have had a real playoff chance.

sanchez only sucked one regular season(2012) where he had the worst talent in the league around him.

I am always skeptical of grown men who use "lol"

34 minutes ago, gEYno said:

weather related losses, you guys.

it as a very windy day, GB couldn't do anything all game either but I guess Rodgers sucks too?

I notice you have no comments about the rest of the post.

we truly have the worst fanbase in sports.  fans that will love Brett Favre for sabotaging a season and hate guys who helped us win.

14 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

it as a very windy day, GB couldn't do anything all game either but I guess Rodgers sucks too?

I notice you have no comments about the rest of the post.

we truly have the worst fanbase in sports.  fans that will love Brett Favre for sabotaging a season and hate guys who helped us win.

I stopped reading at weather related losses.

No sense in continuing.  You'll just spout some more confirmation bias, then pat yourself on the back.  You've got one note.  You play it a lot.

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

:lol:

Laugh all you want, but if you really think about it, Cowboys only made the playoffs because of Mark Sanchez's mentorship of Dak. He probably wont win it, you know, because of the lamestream media, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mark got a few MVP votes.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

1070 technically. Yes, its amazing how teams get to the SB, the championship game multiple times and they recognize that 

it means NOTHING. The Eagles have DICK in their hand for a trip to the SB and 4 NFC Champ games.  yet..the 8th place trophy crowd 

calls us whiners for actually wanting a win and not being satisfied with almost .  Eagles fans get it, Bills fans too. We have guys at the JETS club that think a 9-7 season is a good year.

7 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I stopped reading at weather related losses.

No sense in continuing.  You'll just spout some more confirmation bias, then pat yourself on the back.  You've got one note.  You play it a lot.

it's good to know that weather can never play a role in a game.  I learn something new every day on here, I also lose IQ points but I learn!

I don't pay myself on the back, I can't help it if I look much smarter than I am whenever you try to debate me.

Archived