How bad do you guys miss Pennington right now?

tfine

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, tfine said:

Man I was watching the 2002 highlights of him. The guy was on point. It's really too bad he got hurt and the fans and media created a "weak arm" stigma around him. Also the Jets never got him any weapons. He could've of been great. He last good QB we ever had. Just another QB neglected by the Jets.

he was always underrated by whiny Jet fans but he had plenty of talent to throw to at least early on.  his problem was durability.  In 2000 we drafted what should have been a franchise QB and a big time pass rusher- both he and Abe could never stay healthy.

9 hours ago, tfine said:

In 2009-2010 if he was our QB we win the Super Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

the QB in 2009 and 2010 postseasons was really good, we lost b/c the D didn't show up in either title game.  we had Brett favre a year earlier against weaker sched, weaker AFC w/ no Brady around and we couldn't even make the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The shoulder injury was the greatest thing that ever happened to Chad's legacy.  Because of it, you have a handful of people remembering him fondly, thinking about what only could have been, and making outlandish claims like he's the "next Joe Montana."  Had he never gotten hurt, there's no reason to believe that the last game we saw him healthy, at Oakland, wasn't his future, and any defense that was good enough to shut down the middle of the field would stop him in his tracks.

Here I TOTALLY agree with you.  To be sure it was highly problematic that Chadwick could not stay on the field.  I remember all the nicknames for him, from JET fans, like China Dollington.  Fragile should have been his middle name.

But as you point out the game on him was actually figured out before his string of injuries. Oakland figured out he could not hit the 20 yard out pattern, and could only beat you in the middle of the field. That game provided all future DC's all the tape they needed.

Not to say he never won another game.  Some teams just do not have the personnel to staff a game plan aimed at an opponent's weaknesses.

Up until the Jets obtained Favre, I was amazed how many Jet fans showed their ignorance by being Chad Fans.  Often Chad Fans more than Jet fans.  For however problematic the whole Favre thing was, at least he gave the Jets cover to get rid of Chadwick. Good riddance I felt, and I was right.

21 minutes ago, gEYno said:

This is categorically false.  Sanchez, for all his faults, took far more of the blame for losses, and would state that  he needed to get better.  Pennington would throw 2 picks in a game and say, "outside of two or three throws, I thought I played well."

Not to mention becoming the second highest paid QB and immediately telling the fans/media that he took a "team friendly" deal.

Not to mention his lecture to the media about how it's a privilege for them to cover him.

It's remarkable how many grown men were suckered by his completion percentage, his goofy smile, and his aww shucks hair cut.

Chad suckered no one, he was a top QB before the shoulder injuries.  every time he played the majority of a season for us we made the playoffs, he is the ONLY QB to own AFC East titles besides Tom Brady in the Tom Brady era and led us to one of our TWO all time AFC East titles.  

this is why we can't have nice things.

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I could talk about how Pennington was a d*ck, how ecstatic I was when Favre got us rid of Pennington for good, and how ridiculous it is for the OP to blame the media for Pennington having a weak arm. 

But instead I'll just yield the rest of my time to @Bleedin Green.

and you could be wrong as usual.

how ecstatic were you when Favre sabotaged our season while Chad took a 1 win Miami team to 11 wins and a div title?  

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't miss Chad even one iota.  He was good enough to beat the mediocre teams but that's about it.  He had a noodle arm even pre-injuries.  He was the master of the 2 yard dump-off.  I admit he was probably slightly better than I give him credit for but, overall, he was vastly overrated by far too many Jet fans. 

he beat plenty of good teams including NE multiple times.  Gillette has been the toughest place to win in the NFL since Brady became the starter in NE.  Chad led us to a huge win in week 16 of 2002 at NE which ultimately was the difference in who won the division.  NE wouldn't lose another home game until THREE seasons later.  Chad beat NE in 2006 in NE, the next time NE would lose a game at home w/ Brady as starter was 2011.  stop w/ the mediocre teams garbage, he beat Miami plenty who was good early in his career, he whipped Favre and Gb when they were 12-3 and playing for homefield in the NFC, he beat Tennessee, SD, etc...

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Think about this:  Rex Ryan owned Chad Pennington.  That's right.  Rex Ryan. 

what does this mean?

6 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Up until the Jets obtained Favre, I was amazed how many Jet fans showed their ignorance by being Chad Fans.  Often Chad Fans more than Jet fans. 

In fairness, I think it's pretty simple.  Jets fans are so starved for a QB, that many will hold onto any glimmer of hope when they see one.  Literally the exact same thing happened with Sanchez, who was by standard and advanced metrics, one of the worst QBs in the league.  There's currently a 30+ page thread about how a bad college QB, who was bad in training camp, bad in preseason, bad in practice, and has coaches and teammates alike saying he's bad, is our "franchise QB."  Jets fans are desperate, and desperation causes a lack of objectivity.

EDIT: If you need proof of this, just read nyjunc's body of work.

Stop re-writing history!!!  Pennington had an average arm to begin with and his inability to stay healthy 

weakened it even more.  Defenses started to take away the middle of the field and his warts started to 

show on difficult throws.  If he stayed healthy it would've been interesting to see what he could've become.

Would I like him right now, sure but don't change history

22 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The shoulder injury was the greatest thing that ever happened to Chad's legacy.  Because of it, you have a handful of people remembering him fondly, thinking about what only could have been, and making outlandish claims like he's the "next Joe Montana."  Had he never gotten hurt, there's no reason to believe that the last game we saw him healthy, at Oakland, wasn't his future, and any defense that was good enough to shut down the middle of the field would stop him in his tracks.

at the time of the shoulder injury he had:

-led us back from 1-4/2-5 in 2002 to win a rare AFC East title(and the only non Brady one)

-had us at 6-1 in 2004(after an injury derailed 2003) before the shoulder injury and we still finished 10-6 and he led us to div rd where he didn't play well but we were a missed kick from title game.  Chad healthy and he's a top QB in the league, in 2002 he was the 2nd best QB in football behind only Gannon.  

so you base his career off a poor game at Oakland?  in his first postseason where he badly outplayed Peyton Manning a week earlier, Brett favre the week before that and Tom Brady(the best of all time) a week before that? seriously?  that's like basing Brady's career on facing Denver or Manning's career based entirely on his postseason career.  how silly.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Chad suckered no one, he was a top QB before the shoulder injuries.  every time he played the majority of a season for us we made the playoffs, he is the ONLY QB to own AFC East titles besides Tom Brady in the Tom Brady era and led us to one of our TWO all time AFC East titles.  

this is why we can't have nice things.

and you could be wrong as usual.

how ecstatic were you when Favre sabotaged our season while Chad took a 1 win Miami team to 11 wins and a div title?  

he beat plenty of good teams including NE multiple times.  Gillette has been the toughest place to win in the NFL since Brady became the starter in NE.  Chad led us to a huge win in week 16 of 2002 at NE which ultimately was the difference in who won the division.  NE wouldn't lose another home game until THREE seasons later.  Chad beat NE in 2006 in NE, the next time NE would lose a game at home w/ Brady as starter was 2011.  stop w/ the mediocre teams garbage, he beat Miami plenty who was good early in his career, he whipped Favre and Gb when they were 12-3 and playing for homefield in the NFC, he beat Tennessee, SD, etc...

what does this mean?

You are the poster boy for low standards.

50 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the QB in 2009 and 2010 postseasons was really good, we lost b/c the D didn't show up in either title game.  we had Brett favre a year earlier against weaker sched, weaker AFC w/ no Brady around and we couldn't even make the playoffs.

Tired agenda is tired.  The Jets O put up 17 against a weak ass the Colts D in 2009.  At least 7 was mainly from a Brad Smith pass. Sanchez did have the nice pass to Braylon, but he folded up in the 2nd half.  The D struggled in the 2nd half.  It wasn't that they didn't show up, IIRC they had injuries in the secondary.  In 2010 the offense blew goats until the game was out of hand.  The Steelers put up 24 and 7 was a pure gift from Sanchez.  They had a grand total of 16 yards at the 2 minute warning.  The D showed up, but they aren't going to hold up when the ball control offense is doing 3 and out. But hey, Marky Mark had a decent QBR, so there is that. 

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

In fairness, I think it's pretty simple.  Jets fans are so starved for a QB, that many will hold onto any glimmer of hope when they see one.  Literally the exact same thing happened with Sanchez, who was by standard and advanced metrics, one of the worst QBs in the league.  There's currently a 30+ page thread about how a bad college QB, who was bad in training camp, bad in preseason, bad in practice, and has coaches and teammates alike saying he's bad, is our "franchise QB."  Jets fans are desperate, and desperation causes a lack of objectivity.

EDIT: If you need proof of this, just read nyjunc's body of work.

actually he was a  top 10ish QB in 2010 but folks would rather look at metrics than watch football and he played well in both postseasons, his career turned when we took away the talent around him and expected him to get better.

Just now, nyjunc said:

at the time of the shoulder injury he had:

-led us back from 1-4/2-5 in 2002 to win a rare AFC East title(and the only non Brady one)

-had us at 6-1 in 2004(after an injury derailed 2003) before the shoulder injury and we still finished 10-6 and he led us to div rd where he didn't play well but we were a missed kick from title game.  Chad healthy and he's a top QB in the league, in 2002 he was the 2nd best QB in football behind only Gannon.  

so you base his career off a poor game at Oakland?  in his first postseason where he badly outplayed Peyton Manning a week earlier, Brett favre the week before that and Tom Brady(the best of all time) a week before that? seriously?  that's like basing Brady's career on facing Denver or Manning's career based entirely on his postseason career.  how silly.

In 2004 he had a top defense and a top running game, I know you'll explain those away, but I'm just pointing them out.

Also, I'm going to teach you something about football really quickly.  Quarterbacks play the other teams defenses, not each other.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

actually he was a  top 10ish QB in 2010 but folks would rather look at metrics than watch football and he played well in both postseasons, his career turned when we took away the talent around him and expected him to get better.

If you ignore the metrics, you can say literally anything you want.  Which, is exactly what you do.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Tired agenda is tired.  The Jets O put up 17 against a weak ass Colts D in 2009.  At least 7 was mainly from a Brad Smith pass. Sanchez did have the nice pass to Braylon, but he folded up in the 2nd half.  The D struggled in the 2nd half.  It wasn't that they didn't show up, IIRC they had injuries in the secondary.  In 2010 the offense blew goats until the game was out of hand.  The Steelers put up 24 and 7 was a pure gift from Sanchez.  They had a grand total of 16 yards at the 2 minute warning.  The D showed up, but they aren't going to hold up when the ball control offense is doing 3 and out. But hey, Marky Mark had a decent QBR, so there is that. 

a weak ass Colts D?  the same weak ass Colts D that carried Peyton to a SB a few years earlier, the same weak ass D that allowed 3 points a week earlier to Baltimore in the div rd.  How soon we forget the O gave the D a double digit lead against one of the legendary choking QBs of all time(who would blow the SB 2 weeks later), we also forget he lost his only threat of a run game on the first possession of the 2nd half w/ the Jets up 17-13.  so a rookie QB on the road in that loud dome against 2 elite pass rushers had no threat of a run game- what could possibly go wrong in that situation>

In 2010 the D allowed a 10 min drive to start the game, the O barely had the ball in the first half and got the game w/in a score w/ plenty of time in the 4th and watched the D allow 2 first downs and end the game.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

In 2004 he had a top defense and a top running game, I know you'll explain those away, but I'm just pointing them out.

Also, I'm going to teach you something about football really quickly.  Quarterbacks play the other teams defenses, not each other.

your point is?

sure but we weren't the '85 Bears, we had a good D.  we were facing D's as good and he was outplaying the other QBs but he played poorly at Oak(as did the team) and that defines his career.  pure comedy.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

If you ignore the metrics, you can say literally anything you want.  Which, is exactly what you do.

I use my eyes, I saw a guy bring us back late in 5-6 games that year including on the road in the playoffs, I saw a guy out[play Tom Brady in the div rd on the road but metrics!

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Tired agenda is tired.  The Jets O put up 17 against a weak ass Colts D in 2009.  At least 7 was mainly from a Brad Smith pass. Sanchez did have the nice pass to Braylon, but he folded up in the 2nd half.  The D struggled in the 2nd half.  It wasn't that they didn't show up, IIRC they had injuries in the secondary.  In 2010 the offense blew goats until the game was out of hand.  The Steelers put up 24 and 7 was a pure gift from Sanchez.  They had a grand total of 16 yards at the 2 minute warning.  The D showed up, but they aren't going to hold up when the ball control offense is doing 3 and out. But hey, Marky Mark had a decent QBR, so there is that. 

I had posted once, but won't do the research again, about how in most of these playoff games during the Sanchez era, including both the wins and losses, our defense held the teams to under their season averages in points, and our offense scored below what the opponents defenses were allowing for the season.

7 minutes ago, gEYno said:

You are the poster boy for low standards.

I appreciate when players help my team win, you are the poster boy for all Jet fans which is why we deserve seasons like 2016.  you bring us all down, all the good ones that don't whine over everything, don't bash over everything, don't want to fire/cut/trade everyone after a bad game.  

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

your point is?

sure but we weren't the '85 Bears, we had a good D.  we were facing D's as good and he was outplaying the other QBs but he played poorly at Oak(as did the team) and that defines his career.  pure comedy.

My point is, there's literally no sense in having an argument with someone who will argue that the Jets and Giants (minus the two superbowls) are really the same team.  You can't win an argument with someone who doesn't play by any rules of logic.

Just now, nyjunc said:

a weak ass Colts D?  the same weak ass Colts D that carried Peyton to a SB a few years earlier, the same weak ass D that allowed 3 points a week earlier to Baltimore in the div rd.  How soon we forget the O gave the D a double digit lead against one of the legendary choking QBs of all time(who would blow the SB 2 weeks later), we also forget he lost his only threat of a run game on the first possession of the 2nd half w/ the Jets up 17-13.  so a rookie QB on the road in that loud dome against 2 elite pass rushers had no threat of a run game- what could possibly go wrong in that situation>

In 2010 the D allowed a 10 min drive to start the game, the O barely had the ball in the first half and got the game w/in a score w/ plenty of time in the 4th and watched the D allow 2 first downs and end the game.

I will grant you the 2009 Colts D was better than I remembered.  Other than that?  You're whacked.  The O barely had the ball against the Steelers because their posessions were as follows: 7 for 29 punt, 3 for -2 punt (after the big Harris INT), 3 for 3 punt, 3 for -14 fumble returned for a TD.  That is -7 points.  By the way, the team lost by 5.  

You want to credit him with being a rookie on the road?  Who gives a flying ****?  It's the playoffs and we aren't talking about moral victories.  He gave us a nice run, he didn't carry sh*t.  He threw one nice ball against Colts.  Yippee! 

5 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I had posted once, but won't do the research again, about how in most of these playoff games during the Sanchez era, including both the wins and losses, our defense held the teams to under their season averages in points, and our offense scored below what the opponents defenses were allowing for the season.

Dominator was confused. :)

44 minutes ago, gEYno said:

This is categorically false.  Sanchez, for all his faults, took far more of the blame for losses, and would state that  he needed to get better.  Pennington would throw 2 picks in a game and say, "outside of two or three throws, I thought I played well."

Not to mention becoming the second highest paid QB and immediately telling the fans/media that he took a "team friendly" deal.

Not to mention his lecture to the media about how it's a privilege for them to cover him.

It's remarkable how many grown men were suckered by his completion percentage, his goofy smile, and his aww shucks hair cut.

Generally speaking, it's remarkable how many grown men are routinely suckered by any bit of rhetoric and bad hair.

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I could talk about how Pennington was a d*ck, how ecstatic I was when Favre got us rid of Pennington for good, and how ridiculous it is for the OP to blame the media for Pennington having a weak arm. 

But instead I'll just yield the rest of my time to @Bleedin Green.

Times have changed, as I have remodeled my TL;DR into bullet points, for greater efficiency.  Let's begin, shall we:

1.  Noodle arm

2.  Injury Prone

3.  Dump-off king / Played like a scared bitch

4.  Douchebag / Laughably self-impressed

5.  Useless in the clutch / playoffs

6.  Sucked balls in 2007 despite a lack of injury excuse, disproving that theory

7.  Except for 2002, team was never better with him than his backups (i.e., similar or better records from Vinny, Carter, Bollywood, Clemens in those years)

But hey, he kept that completion percentage up with all those amazing two yard dumpoffs to Jerald Sowell on 3rd and long.  That's something, right?

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

that's awesome, so you wanted a rookie QB in 2009 to throw the ball w/ a double digt lead at Cin and SD?  if he did we likely score more but let's look at those games, shall we?

2009 WC:

almost flawless, threw 3 incompletions, 2 of which were drops includding what would have been a 50+ yard TD.

Cincy 2009(I will remove Jets reg season game)

15 games, allowed 240 pts, 15 PPG.  Our O scored 24 points.  +9

15 games, scored 277, 18.5 PPG.  Our D held them to 14 pts.  +4.5

2009 div:

#s weren't great but had 3 huge 3rd down plays and only turned it over once.  after we went up 10 we stopped throwing and tried to run the clock out so his #s suffered for those that just care about #s.

SD 2009:

allowed 306, 19.1 PPG.  Our O scored 17, -2

scored 417, 26 PPG.  allowed 14.  +12

2009 AFC Championship:

spectacular throw on 80 yd TD to Edwards hanging in as he was about to get crushed, also same thing on Keller TD.  Led us to 17-6 lead against legendary choking QB who led his Os to average of about 14 PPG in playoff losses. plus we lost only rushing threat 1st possession of 2nd half.

Ind 2009(I will remove Jets game and week 17)

in 14 games allowed 248, 17.7 average.  we scored 17. -1

in 14 games scored 394, 28PPG.  we allowed 30.  -2

in 2009 our O was +6, our D was +14.5

2010 WC:

Mark struggled in the first half, D kept us in it.  In 2nd half we ran more, controlled the clock and Mark made big plays including setting up chip shot to win the game at the gun.

Ind 2010: 

allowed 353, 22 PPG.  we scored 17.  -5

scored 393, 24.5.  allowed 16. +8.5

2010 div rd:

spectacular game, 3 TDs, 0 INTs.  when we were struggling early his redirect of edwards on that 3rd and 6 changed the game.  whenNE got w/in 3 late 3rd he led us right down for another TD on great throw/catch on 3rd down to holmes

NE 2010(removing 2 Jets games):

In 14 games allowed 275, 19.6 PPG, we scored 28.  +8.5

In 14 games scored 396, 28.2.  allowed 21.  +7

2010 AFC Championship:

D allowed almost 10 min drive to start game, allowed pitt to control clock all first half.  O got game back w/in a score w/ plenty of time.  I was in that stadium, the fans wer scared at that point.  all D had to do was allow zero or 1 1st down to give us a chance.  they couldn't do it.

Pitt 2010(removing Jet game):

In 15 games allowed 203, 13.5.  we scored 17.  +3.5

In 15 games scored 330, 22.  allowed 17.  +5

In 2010 our O was +7, D was 20.5

2 yr total: O +13, D +35

so while Our D held opponents under in most games, the O scored above in most games.  The D was the #1 reason we made it that far but also the #1 reason we lost b/c they didn't play like a bog tiem D in the title games.

Chad Pennington is a first rate human being and gave the team you root for hope and quality QB play- we'll never know how good he could've been as the injuries to his throwing shoulder certainly lowered his ceiling and he became an Alex Smith, a QB that could win you ten games but never get you deep in the playoffs.

im struck how wantonly mean spirited some posts are in this thread. Reminiscent of the election. 

the jets have always had a bad culture and my favorite story of chad is the time when he communicated a play call in the huddle at practice and some of his lineman rolled  their eyes at the call and grumbled that it was a dumb play. Chad got stern and said, "Hey, it's not our job to question the playcall, its our job to run it the best we can."

Archived