How bad do you guys miss Pennington right now?

tfine

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

ah now you will try to take away from one of our only 2 all time AFC East titles and won that was won against the Brady's.  If we don't go into foxboro week 16 and whip the Pats they win the division again.  by the way, NE wouldn't lose at home again until 3 seasons later but Chad sucks.

Favre gets no injury excuse, w/ a torn rotator cuff Chad led us to the doorstep of the title game, w? no Brady around Favre couldn't even lead us to the WC.

ny junc says "led us to the doorstep of the title game"

everyone else who has ever watched football ever says "lost in the divisional round"

But then again, we've just seen the amazing level of QB talent it takes to accomplish that, right?

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The point is that they are not very good QBs and having played, and lost, in the divisional round does not make one a QB good.  You seem to agree, which is nice to see.

Chad is the high school sweetheart who moved away to college and you never heard from again.  It's silly to think that you would've married her, had a bunch of kids and grown old together, but you still like to think that while ignoring the fact that when you were together it wasn't all that great to begin with.

Nostalgia for what if is the worst.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

ah now you will try to take away from one of our only 2 all time AFC East titles and won that was won against the Brady's.  If we don't go into foxboro week 16 and whip the Pats they win the division again.  by the way, NE wouldn't lose at home again until 3 seasons later but Chad sucks.

Favre gets no injury excuse, w/ a torn rotator cuff Chad led us to the doorstep of the title game, w? no Brady around Favre couldn't even lead us to the WC.

We won the AFCE.  That's a good thing and a fact.  It is also a fact that we won it at 9-7 and on a tiebreaker.  It is also a fact that we beat the Colts convincingly in the first round of the playoffs.  It is also a fact that we got beaten convincingly by the Raiders in the second round of the playoffs.  None of these facts prove anything you've claimed in this thread.  New England not losing at home also doesn't prove Chad is good.

"The doorstep of a title game," now there's a participation trophy we can all be proud of.  Again, you set the rules of what excuses are okay or not.  Your arguments are much closer to "Chad Pennington is a good Quarterback because a good quarterback is named Chad Pennington" than you think they are.

38 minutes ago, SMC said:

Actually, the Raiders totally exposed Chad in the 2002 divisional playoff game, crowding receivers and daring him to throw.  Chad completely crapped the bed as a result, with a healthy arm.  His arm injuries only hastened his demise.  

Coordinators managed Chad's physical limitations as best they could, even going to the "Wildcat" in Miami to mask it.  Chad's contract was never going to be a bargain.

he was so exposed that he was good in 2003 then one of the best in 2004 until he got hurt.

37 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

everyone else who has ever watched football ever says "lost in the divisional round"

But then again, we've just seen the amazing level of QB talent it takes to accomplish that, right?

I say doorstep b/c our K missed 2 makable FGs needing only one to send us to the title game

34 minutes ago, gEYno said:

We won the AFCE.  That's a good thing and a fact.  It is also a fact that we won it at 9-7 and on a tiebreaker.  It is also a fact that we beat the Colts convincingly in the first round of the playoffs.  It is also a fact that we got beaten convincingly by the Raiders in the second round of the playoffs.  None of these facts prove anything you've claimed in this thread.  New England not losing at home also doesn't prove Chad is good.

"The doorstep of a title game," now there's a participation trophy we can all be proud of.  Again, you set the rules of what excuses are okay or not.  Your arguments are much closer to "Chad Pennington is a good Quarterback because a good quarterback is named Chad Pennington" than you think they are.

The Raider game was 10-10 late int he 3rd qtr.

just to be clear- it's ok to use an injury excuse for Favre who faced a much weaker sched, never cared about us, never wanted to play here, never had to deal w/ Brady and couldn't get us to the playoffs but for Chad we can't discuss injuries for a guy that when relatively healthy led us to the playoffs each time including past the Brady's in 2002.

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I say doorstep b/c our K missed 2 makable FGs needing only one to send us to the title game

The offense scored three points in that game.  Yes, that's right... three points.

The offense, including the QB, had literally nothing to do with the Jets being competitive in that game.  It was quite literally in spite of his performance.

Even if that weren't the case, do you realize how absurd it is to attempt to give praise for something that didn't happen?

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he was so exposed that he was good in 2003 then one of the best in 2004 until he got hurt.

Oh, and who in their right mind would qualify his 2003 season as good?  You know, outside of you pretending only 3 of the games count, and not the rest of them that he was awful in.

I always liked Pennington.

I believed, and believe to this day, that he could have been a legitimate Franchise QB had he not been so fragile.

I believed, and believe to this day, that he was the best QB we've had since O'Brien, and one of the top 3-4 QB's ever to wear Jets Green.

Namath.  O'Brien.  Vinny, maybe.  Then Penny.

A healthy, pre-injury Pennington wins Super Bowls 2x under Rex, and has a shot to win one in 2015.

But injuries are a thing, and they destroyed him.

12 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The offense scored three points in that game.  Yes, that's right... three points.

The offense, including the QB, had literally nothing to do with the Jets being competitive in that game.  It was quite literally in spite of his performance.

Even if that weren't the case, do you realize how absurd it is to attempt to give praise for something that didn't happen?

they did, he struggled but the K had TWO chances at makeable FGs and missed both.

11 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Oh, and who in their right mind would qualify his 2003 season as good?  You know, outside of you pretending only 3 of the games count, and not the rest of them that he was awful in.

his 2003 season was good especially the first 4-5 games.  remember by December we were already done due to the poor start to the season w/o him.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I believed, and believe to this day, that he could have been a legitimate Franchise QB had he not been so fragile.

I believed, and believe to this day, that he was the best QB we've had since O'Brien, and one of the top 3-4 QB's ever to wear Jets Green.

A healthy, pre-injury Pennington wins Super Bowls 2x under Rex, and has a shot to win one in 2015.

O'Brien was incredibly overrated, Sanchez was better than O'Brien.  Ken played here the longest, was drafted after a young team just made the AFC Championship game and never won a single playoff game here.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This reminds me of all the hypothetical pro-Geno arguments we railed against last summer. 

14 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

What are you talking about?  In 2003, Chad 13 TDs and 12 INTs in 10 starts 2,139 yds.  That's good?

In 2004 he was better, in 13 starts with 16 TDs and 9 INTs with 2,673 yds.  That is not being "one of the best" in 2004.  His stats in 2003 and 2004 were worse than 2002, when he was exposed by the Raiders.

As to doorsteps, BG mentioned it, but Chad led the offense to only 3 points.  Chad threw for 182 yards and no TDs and 1 INT.  He was bad that game.

1 minute ago, SMC said:

What are you talking about?  In 2003, Chad 13 TDs and 12 INTs in 10 starts 2,139 yds.  That's good?

In 2004 he was better, in 13 starts with 16 TDs and 9 INTs with 2,673 yds.  That is not being "one of the best" in 2004.  His stats in 2003 and 2004 were worse than 2002, when he was exposed by the Raiders.

As to doorsteps, BG mentioned it, but Chad led the offense to only 3 points.  Chad threw for 182 yards and no TDs and 1 INT.  He was bad that game.

he struggled down the stretch when opponents decided to start paying attention to santana Moss who was his only real weapon in the pass game but 

In 2004 look at his #s pre Buffalo game where he got hurt.  this notion of teams figuring him out is a message board myth.

he wasn't good that day in Pitt but our K needs to make one of those 2 FGs.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I understand, his downfall was his body was not built for NFL football.

Chad was injury prone but unlike those other guys he helped us win a lot of games.

In a 4 year Jets career, Mark Sanchez was 33-29 with a 4-2 playoff record.  He had 1 losing season.

In a 6 year Jets career, Chad Pennington was 32-29 with a 2-3 playoff record.  He had 3 losing seasons.

Chad Pennington was Mark Sanchez but wasted more of our time and choked in the postseason.  I'll take Mark Sanchez any day.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

In a 4 year Jets career, Mark Sanchez was 33-29 with a 4-2 playoff record.  He had 1 losing season.

In a 6 year Jets career, Chad Pennington was 32-29 with a 2-3 playoff record.  He had 3 losing seasons.

Chad Pennington was Mark Sanchez but wasted more of our time and choked in the postseason.  I'll take Mark Sanchez any day.

SAR I

Chad was better weeks 1 through 17, Mark better in the playoffs.  Chad's losing seasons all came in injured years, he wasn't durable but when he started double digit games we made the playoffs every time

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Chad was better weeks 1 through 17, Mark better in the playoffs.  Chad's losing seasons all came in injured years, he wasn't durable but when he started double digit games we made the playoffs every time

Again, you poo-poo these "injured years" as if they didn't happen or as if they weren't a result of Chad Pennington on our roster.  Chad cost us 3 seasons, period.  And not just any 3 seasons mind you-  3 seasons where the Parcells/Belichick '98 team was coming into its own with all the veterans and draft picks coming into their own.  Couldn't have had a worse time in Jets history to have an egg back there.

Additionally, this "Chad was a warrior, it's a pity he was always hurt" narrative and Chad ringing the victory siren to applause at MetLife while Mark is some pariah is just a joke, a flat-out joke.  Chad Pennington had the best OL in Jets history, a Hall Of Fame running back, and a stout defense full of great players in their prime.  Mark Sanchez had an aging OL, retread RB's, and a head coach who built a phony defense full of quitters.  Mark is who we should honor, Chad was awful.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Again, you poo-poo these "injured years" as if they didn't happen or as if they weren't a result of Chad Pennington on our roster.  Chad cost us 3 seasons, period.  And not just any 3 seasons mind you-  3 seasons where the Parcells/Belichick '98 team was coming into its own with all the veterans and draft picks coming into their own.  Couldn't have had a worse time in Jets history to have an egg back there.

Additionally, this "Chad was a warrior, it's a pity he was always hurt" narrative and Chad ringing the victory siren to applause at MetLife while Mark is some pariah is just a joke, a flat-out joke.  Chad Pennington had the best OL in Jets history, a Hall Of Fame running back, and a stout defense full of great players in their prime.  Mark Sanchez had an aging OL, retread RB's, and a head coach who built a phony defense full of quitters.  Mark is who we should honor, Chad was awful.

SAR I

coming into their own?  the Parcells draft picks were horrendous and he left us w/ cap issues.  after 2001 we had to gut the team a bit and got lucky b/c of the expansion draft or we would have sucked for years.  Chad also came up in the Brady years, even if Chad was 100% we weren't beaten NE consistently, we beat them once in 2002 for the div but that was going to be it.

Both Chad and Mark should be cheered any time they are at MetLife.  Both did some great things for this franchise and are unfairly bashed.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

O'Brien was incredibly overrated, Sanchez was better than O'Brien.  

Lol. No.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

This reminds me of all the hypothetical pro-Geno arguments we railed against last summer. 

Probably because I was speaking hypothetically.

14 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

A rare few JETS  fans ...  polish their 3rd place trophy while philly fans, bills fans, cardinals fans all try to explain that getting close means absolute zero.

like almost curing Grandmas cancer, she's still dead. At some points, real adults dont settle for if, could, would. 

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:05 PM, tfine said:

Man I was watching the 2002 highlights of him. The guy was on point. It's really too bad he got hurt and the fans and media created a "weak arm" stigma around him. Also the Jets never got him any weapons. He could've of been great. He last good QB we ever had. Just another QB neglected by the Jets.

If he didn't get hurt that first time (broken hand pre season) then come back and tear his shoulder up we would have had a chance. People point to that Raider game when that defense simply outclassed our entire offense and Penny took most of the blame by Jets fans who simply didn't see we were just out classed across the board. If we had Keyshawn it might have been a different outcome

Chad was one of the greatest swindlers of all time, raking million$ for a job his body couldn't perform.

He mastered the art of stat padding to boost comp% and QBR for the contract negotiating table. 

How can anyone forget those 2-yard dinks to a blanketed receiver on 3rd & long?

He was smart at business ... that's about it.

52 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Chad was one of the greatest swindlers of all time, raking million$ for a job his body couldn't perform.

He mastered the art of stat padding to boost comp% and QBR for the contract negotiating table. 

Finally, another fan who sees Chad The Fraud for what he was.  Another career-prolonger like Rex Ryan, motivated by lengthening his career instead of winning championships.

I love you, jetrider.

SAR I

20 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The Raider game was 10-10 late int he 3rd qtr.

just to be clear- it's ok to use an injury excuse for Favre who faced a much weaker sched, never cared about us, never wanted to play here, never had to deal w/ Brady and couldn't get us to the playoffs but for Chad we can't discuss injuries for a guy that when relatively healthy led us to the playoffs each time including past the Brady's in 2002.

Hmmm... I thought you liked to win.  Here, you seem content to be tied for a while before losing by 21.

I'm not making an excuse for Brett Farve.  I'm not talking about Favre in an evaluative capacity at all.  I'm just pointing out that in the year you're speaking about, two QBs who are historically undoubtedly better than Chad Pennington, were injured.  One played, one did not.  But, this is a fact.  You are using this season to bolster an argument about Chad Pennington being a good Quarterback.  I'm simply pointing out that winning the AFCE that season is not the accomplishment you make it out to be.  Now that we're done with facts, I'd also speculate that if Farve, healthy or not, helped the Jets win the AFC Championship, you'd focus on Tom Brady's injury.  Because, confirmation bias is kind of your thing.

23 hours ago, jetrider said:

lol, wut ?

Archived