Mel Kiper ..... first mock has us taking....

Stark

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

they do not have a solid offensive core.  they have some players who can be good complementary players.  but the odds are they will get rid of brandon, and decker is coming off 2 major surgeries.  devin smith is still a big question mark.  they do not have depth at wr and do not have an alpha #1 wr.  they have 1 rb.  they desperately need a LT.  they still need a TE.  they need so much on offense besides a qb it's sad.  they need weapons on offense to begin to balance out this team.  they can still improve the secondary in FA and the draft without investing yet another high first round draft pick on defense.  

Agree about WR especially - if we get rid of BM, it's asking a lot for the younger guys to become the 1/2 instead of the 3/4 on the depth chart. Anderson is a nice deep threat, but can he be a full-on #2 WR already?

Even if we keep BM, he's got 1 year left and is on the downside ... not a guy you pass over draft prospects for.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Jeremiah's first mock is quite different : http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000776348/article/jeremiah-mock-draft-10-49ers-jets-texans-fill-qb-needs

He has us taking Kizer @ 6; Mike Williams goes 15th to Philly. Lattimore goes at 5.

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Jeremiah's first mock is quite different : http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000776348/article/jeremiah-mock-draft-10-49ers-jets-texans-fill-qb-needs

He has us taking Kizer @ 6; Mike Williams goes 15th to Philly. Lattimore goes at 5.

If we took Kizer over Mike Williams, there will be 8 nice seats available for some lucky fan this spring.

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

If we took Kizer over Mike Williams, there will be 8 nice seats available for some lucky fan this spring.

Oh God yes.  Can you imagine if the Jets were stupid enough to pass on Williams for the Notre Dame future bust?  Good God.. it would be a typical horrible classic Jets blunder.

This is a tough one. Is it a difficult pill to swallow taking a CB again? Absolutely.

But considering how the board falls, a CB could absolutely be BPA meets Need. 

I'd be a bit deflated if we took one, but ultimately, I would understand.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

thanks, but i meant kizer.  i've seen watson.  why is kizer getting so much love?

I just think that all ND players get a little over-hype.  I have no idea.  My next door neighbor is an ND fanatic.  He doesn't like Kizer at all.  

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

If we draft one at 6 in a draft that is supposedly super deep at CB this guy had better be Revis version #2

Revis didn't become Revis until Rex brought in those great blitz packages in 2009 nobody could figure out for two years

Without a pass rush whatever DB we reach for at 6 will get burned

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I just think that all ND players get a little over-hype.  I have no idea.  My next door neighbor is an ND fanatic.  He doesn't like Kizer at all.  

Of the 3 top QBs Kizer is my favourite. Mainly because he looks the most ready but I think they're all overhyped. It's what happens when there's genuinely nobody to actually get excited about. The media have to feign excitement.

Just now, thadude said:

The guy you want at 6 is Taco Charlton.  6'6 275 lbs explosive edge rusher from Michigan who is still learning and has crazy upside.  Came off a 10 sack season at Michigan

I'm a Michigan fan but I'm not crazy on Taco. Best name in the draft but I've got him outside the Top 5 edge players.

1 minute ago, thadude said:

Revis didn't become Revis until Rex brought in those great blitz packages in 2009 nobody could figure out for two years

Strongly disagree.  I think the advanced metrics sites had Revis ranked top 3 in 2008.  Here is some all-time sh*t from PFF.  Of all CB seasons since 2007, Revis 2008 was #11 overall (Revis 2009 and 2011 were better) and #13 in coverage (again included in those better were his 2009 and 2011 seasons).  Rex didn't invent Revis, he maximized his value. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Strongly disagree.  I think the advanced metrics sites had Revis ranked top 3 in 2008.  Here is some all-time sh*t from PFF.  Of all CB seasons since 2007, Revis 2008 was #11 overall (Revis 2009 and 2011 were better) and #13 in coverage (again included in those better were his 2009 and 2011 seasons).  Rex didn't invent Revis, he maximized his value. 

Revis went from being a guy who got burnt by Randy Moss running 3/4 speed to a HOF'er because Rex's blitz packages had him covering receivers for 3-4 seconds tops

Revis went from having a very good career to HOF people comparing him to Deion Sanders because of Rex Ryan.  Bottom line we need pass rushers

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

Revis went from being a guy who got burnt by Randy Moss running 3/4 speed to a HOF'er because Rex's blitz packages had him covering receivers for 3-4 seconds tops

Revis went from having a very good career to HOF people comparing him to Deion Sanders because of Rex Ryan.  Bottom line we need pass rushers

Besides the fact that I think that your first sentence is bullsh*t, who was the best pass rusher we had under Rex?  Antwan Barnes?  Aaron Maybin? Calvin Pace? Revis didn't need any help.  He was a pro bowler before Rex came around and made first team all pro on the Pats who don't exactly mount a ferocious pass rush. 

L.Fournette or trade down. JMHO.

The only other wild card is if the Jets fell in love with a QB like Watson or Kizer, in which case, I can't really argue against taking a QB when your team desperately needs one.  

But taking a CB or an OT or even a pass rusher not named Garrett doesn;t quite make sense to me. And the only reason Fournette makes sense is because he is an elite talent and special player that does not come around very often, he's not just the top RB prospect. Fournette would be a classic BPA pick.  

Also, the availability of both Fournette and a QB like Kizer or Watson should give the jets an opportunity to trade down.  

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Besides the fact that I think that your first sentence is bullsh*t, who was the best pass rusher we had under Rex?  Antwan Barnes?  Aaron Maybin? Calvin Pace? Revis didn't need any help.  He was a pro bowler before Rex came around and made first team all pro on the Pats who don't exactly mount a ferocious pass rush. 

We had pass rush in 2009-2010 because Rex had these great blitz packages no one had seen yet.

Even Peyton Manning said he had to run plays where he wasn't even trying to move the ball downfield he just wanted to see how Rex was doing with disguising blitzes in the AFCG

24 minutes ago, thadude said:

This is what some fans and for sure some coaches can't figure out.  See the Jets from last year.

22 minutes ago, Lray said:

Of the 3 top QBs Kizer is my favourite. Mainly because he looks the most ready but I think they're all overhyped. It's what happens when there's genuinely nobody to actually get excited about. The media have to feign excitement.

If I had to take a qb I'd go Kizer

And im not even a Kizer guy

17 minutes ago, thadude said:

I think Taco is the best edge rusher after Garret or at least tied with Tim Williams for #2

It's Barnett and Harris for me. Don't get me wrong, if we took Taco with our 2nd I'd be delighted.

11 minutes ago, jack48 said:

we need a legit pass rusher more than anything.  Even great corners cannot cover forever.

Truth...but I think we can have that with some of the guys we have if our corners could actually cover for a second.  When the opposing QB drops back and everyone is wide open, a pass rush gets eliminated easily. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

As much as it would sicken me to go D again, I'd prefer this over a RB at #6.

Draft to the strength of the draft class, not to outrun the history of how the franchise has drafted in the past few years.

Top of this draft is strong on defense. Tim Williams, Reuben Foster, among several others just present the best value... I'm okay with them drafting D, as long as they aren't doing the same bullsh*t where they keep pouring resources into the D, and it keeps being a monumental letdown. 

5 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Nope.  That honor goes to Teez Tabor.  And, he recently made that his legal name.

I definitely took that into consideration. I guess, like most things, it boils down to how much you like mexican food.

Archived