Brandon Marshall has message for Jets: ‘I’m underpaid’

JustInFudge

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/brandon-marshall-has-message-for-jets-im-underpaid/

Several weeks ago, Brandon Marshall said he would play for free.

Several weeks later, he appears to have changed his mind.

“If we’re really talking about production, I’ve probably been underpaid for the past six years,” Marshall told WFAN on Wednesday morning. “If we’re really talking about comparing production to receivers across the league.”

Marshall’s future with the Jets is in peril after a downfall in that production, recording near career-lows in catches, touchdowns, and yardage, and suddenly finds himself surrounded by younger, more promising, and cheaper talent.

The 11 year veteran will command $7.5 million next season, far more than names like Quincy Enunwa, Robby Anderson, and Jalin Marshall, three of the receivers who the team is more interested in developing.

“People need to get away from my salary. I’m underpaid,” Marshall said. “Any team should be happy to have me for $7.5 million.”

The Jets may not agree.

It's a fair point. Taking 2016 out of it the guy is kind of underpaid when you look around the league. He's a HOF receiver, tall, plays to the level of his height, has done it with a lot of mediocre to bad QB's throwing to him.

It's a losing argument to talk to fans about your salary though. You'll never win that argument. No fan is going to say "yeah, the Jets should be paying this guy more, what the hell?!"

So much for the pay cut?  Huh?  

The laughable part about saying something like this is he's coming off an atrocious season, one of his worst in his career where he was top 3 in drops and had one of the worst catch ratio's in the league and admittedly was a divisive person in another locker room. 

When does it stop with this guy?  He's got something to say about everything. He really should just retire and become a full time analyst.  

Get the circus out of town, please. 

He is definitely underpaid... and some other team can pay him more. The only way I'd bring him back to the Jets is if he was going to stay at his current number or take less.

I really like him as a player but I can't help getting the idea that he is causing trouble behind the scenes that we haven't heard all about.

He doesnt stop.  He's got something to say about everything!!!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/1617098e-8a9f-3f61-b4e6-567ea43f0929/jets%26%2339%3B-brandon-marshall.html

Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall criticized Steelers receiver Antonio Brown on Tuesday night for his infamous Facebook Live video following Pittsburgh’s victory over Kansas City to reach the AFC title game.

Brown, who had 108 receiving yards in the game, filmed the Steelers postgame locker room scene, including head coach Mike Tomlin referring to the Patriots as “a–holes.”

The Steelers will face the Pats on Sunday evening in the AFC Championship game with a chance to reach the Super Bowl.

“You would never see this in New England, right?” Marshall said on Tuesday’s episode of Showtime’s Inside the NFL. “What it does is it keeps the New England Patriots on task. It keeps them marching in a single-file line: ‘This is the New England way, and this is how we do things.’

“You only have three or four minutes after the game to be with your teammates and really enjoy the moment or Band-Aid each other up. So that’s precious time, and that time shouldn’t be live-streamed for anyone to see.”

Marshall knows all about locker room drama as he was in the middle of a lot of it with the Jets this past season.

Following a sluggish first half against Kansas City in Week 3, Marshall got into it with teammate Sheldon Richardson. While the situation was taken care of according to Todd Bowles, there was bad blood all year between the two outspoken players.

Marshall also reportedly ticked off teammates with a fiery speech at halftime of the Jets’ Week 16 loss to New England.

Coming off a season where he only caught 59 passes and three touchdowns, Marshall is no lock to be back in New York next season.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

He doesnt stop.  He's got something to say about everything!!!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/1617098e-8a9f-3f61-b4e6-567ea43f0929/jets%26%2339%3B-brandon-marshall.html

Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall criticized Steelers receiver Antonio Brown on Tuesday night for his infamous Facebook Live video following Pittsburgh’s victory over Kansas City to reach the AFC title game.

Brown, who had 108 receiving yards in the game, filmed the Steelers postgame locker room scene, including head coach Mike Tomlin referring to the Patriots as “a–holes.”

The Steelers will face the Pats on Sunday evening in the AFC Championship game with a chance to reach the Super Bowl.

“You would never see this in New England, right?” Marshall said on Tuesday’s episode of Showtime’s Inside the NFL. “What it does is it keeps the New England Patriots on task. It keeps them marching in a single-file line: ‘This is the New England way, and this is how we do things.’

“You only have three or four minutes after the game to be with your teammates and really enjoy the moment or Band-Aid each other up. So that’s precious time, and that time shouldn’t be live-streamed for anyone to see.”

Marshall knows all about locker room drama as he was in the middle of a lot of it with the Jets this past season.

Following a sluggish first half against Kansas City in Week 3, Marshall got into it with teammate Sheldon Richardson. While the situation was taken care of according to Todd Bowles, there was bad blood all year between the two outspoken players.

Marshall also reportedly ticked off teammates with a fiery speech at halftime of the Jets’ Week 16 loss to New England.

Coming off a season where he only caught 59 passes and three touchdowns, Marshall is no lock to be back in New York next season.

I think its a mistake to appear regularly on a show like Inside the NFL as an active player. If Marshall was retired and said these things on that show its a non-story. 

2 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

I think its a mistake to appear regularly on a show like Inside the NFL as an active player. If Marshall was retired and said these things on that show its a non-story. 

I said it a long time ago, it creates a huge conflict of interest.  What's his focus?  Being an analyst or a Football player? 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I said it a long time ago, it creates a huge conflict of interest.  What's his focus?  Being an analyst or a Football player? 

It just doesn't make any sense. No good has ever come of it for him. It may be setting him up for a post NFL-career but its not like he couldn't go into broadcasting without doing it as an active player. 

28 minutes ago, JiF said:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/brandon-marshall-has-message-for-jets-im-underpaid/

Several weeks ago, Brandon Marshall said he would play for free.

Several weeks later, he appears to have changed his mind.

“If we’re really talking about production, I’ve probably been underpaid for the past six years,” Marshall told WFAN on Wednesday morning. “If we’re really talking about comparing production to receivers across the league.”

Marshall’s future with the Jets is in peril after a downfall in that production, recording near career-lows in catches, touchdowns, and yardage, and suddenly finds himself surrounded by younger, more promising, and cheaper talent.

The 11 year veteran will command $7.5 million next season, far more than names like Quincy Enunwa, Robby Anderson, and Jalin Marshall, three of the receivers who the team is more interested in developing.

“People need to get away from my salary. I’m underpaid,” Marshall said. “Any team should be happy to have me for $7.5 million.”

The Jets may not agree.

I would really like to keep Marshall aboard... but man........  WTF???  one minute he says he'll take a cut and the next minute this?  Just shut up and play.  And stop dropping so many passes please.  

Sadly I listen to Boomer and Carton on my drive into work.

Here's what happened:

Marshall called into the show because a caller said he had just almost hit Marshall- who was riding a segway in Brooklyn. Marshall called in to joke about that claim, and Carton turned the conversation to the Jets. He asked Marshall if he'd be willing to rip up his contract and play for the vet min. Marshall laughed and said no. Carton reminded him about his comments about playing for free. Marshall said that he loved the game so much that if he had no choice, he would play for free - but he knows his value and will play for what he's worth.

He then said that if you actually look at his #s from the past few seasons, he's been underpaid compared to his productivity - but of course after a 50something catch season for less than 900 yards that the team is going to turn around and want to talk pay cut. He didn't come out and say whether he'd be open to reworking his deal. Carton then got on a tangent about how Marshall won't be back next year, and that Brandon should go attempt to play for a winner before his career is over. And that was that.

1 minute ago, shuler82 said:

Here's what happened:

Marshall called into the show because a caller said he had just almost hit Marshall- who was riding a segway in Brooklyn. Marshall called in to joke about that claim, and Carton turned the conversation to the Jets. He asked Marshall if he'd be willing to rip up his contract and play for the vet min. Marshall laughed and said no. Carton reminded him about his comments about playing for free. Marshall said that he loved the game that if he had no choice, he would play for free - but he knows his value and will play for what he's worth.

He then said that if you actually look at his #s from the past few seasons, he's been underpaid compared to his productivity - but of course after a 50something catch season for less than 900 yards that the team is going to turn around and want to talk pay cut. He didn't come out and say whether he'd be open to reworking his deal. Carton then got on a tangent about how Marshall won't be back next year, and that Brandon should go attempt to play for a winner before his career is over. And that was that.

Thanks for the specifics.  I retract my post (2 above this).  Once again, we and the media completely pervert the context and actual conversation.

Geez we all suck on this board.

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It's a fair point. Taking 2016 out of it the guy is kind of underpaid when you look around the league. He's a HOF receiver, tall, plays to the level of his height, has done it with a lot of mediocre to bad QB's throwing to him.

It's a losing argument to talk to fans about your salary though. You'll never win that argument. No fan is going to say "yeah, the Jets should be paying this guy more, what the hell?!"

He is.  I keep him for one more year, and then let him leave.

The other problem with always cutting players is you never get comp picks for them.  People say Marshall drops too many balls, well Decker has been healthy about 1/3 the time he's been on the team.  Q can replace Decker better than anyone we have replacing Marshall.

He's right as far as production goes...two problems.

1) Jets are rebuilding and better off going with youth at WR

2) He has seemingly caused problems in every locker he's been in (right or wrong he seems to be in the middle of controversy) There's clearly a discount for that.

12 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Here's what happened:

Marshall called into the show because a caller said he had just almost hit Marshall- who was riding a segway in Brooklyn. Marshall called in to joke about that claim, and Carton turned the conversation to the Jets. He asked Marshall if he'd be willing to rip up his contract and play for the vet min. Marshall laughed and said no. Carton reminded him about his comments about playing for free. Marshall said that he loved the game so much that if he had no choice, he would play for free - but he knows his value and will play for what he's worth.

love the morning show.  Boomer has come a long way thanks to Carton's urging him on.  It's a great listen on my way to the coal mine at the break of dawn.

13 minutes ago, BRONX DUDE said:

love the morning show.  Boomer has come a long way thanks to Carton's urging him on.  It's a great listen on my way to the coal mine at the break of dawn.

So what's cartin doing now to rip off Howard Stern?  Pretending he has a feud with Fatcesa same way Stern had a feud with Imus at WNBC?

13 hours ago, Klecko73isGod said:

It just doesn't make any sense. No good has ever come of it for him. It may be setting him up for a post NFL-career but its not like he couldn't go into broadcasting without doing it as an active player.

Of course it doesn't make sense. He's crazy. That's why he's on a sh*t-ton of meds and beats the crap out of chicks. These are the things that crazy people do and say. We tried warning you.

Archived