Trump Sends Woody To U.K.; Makes Jets Great Again

Squirt

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Gonna leave this open, but please let's leave politics out of this. Plenty of places to discuss that, we don't want people fighting here.

This is really good news though, if this is definitely true, getting Woody out of the day to day is big. Think about it, Woody talks to Bowles every week. What a waste of time. Let's say that talk is one hour (I have no idea). Bowles probably spends 3X that amount of time just expressing disbelief to his inner circle.

Can you believe that Woody asked ____? Or that Woody actually suggested ___?

Freeing Bowles up from these conversations can't hurt. Freeing the organization up from Woody's control can't hurt.

Same goes for Macc. Let's get a true head of football operations in here.

It's "good news" that an incompetent buffoon with a silver spoon in his mouth is now in government?  :)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Congratulations to Woody.  I wish him the best of luck, and success, in his new diplomatic role representing our country in my home country.

Lets hope whomever takes management responsibility for the Jets in the interim lets Macc do his job.  

Hooray... 4 years of the Jets being de-prioritized in favor of political turmoil!!!! 

Never asked Donald whether whether he was a Jets fan but if so-maybe this was an appointment to get Woody out of the area and appoint an overseer for the franchise. Too bad ambassadors aren"t required to dispose of assets which could impair performance of duties-the headaches of the Jets would impair anyone's clear functioning.

I'm still surprised at the news  (despite Rooney having been an ambassador in Ireland and Woody being even a top republican fund raiser).

Despite, the talk for over a month that Woody would get the UK gig.  Britian is the USA's closest ally, on paper it's an important position.

However, when Joe Kennedy held the job, primary communication was telegrams and poor-quality long distant phone calls.

Today with emails, teleconferences, real-time face to face communication, I expect the role of the ambassador may not be so pivitol ... hence Woody getting his moment in the sun ( or the British rain).

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Your congratulating him, why exactly?  He did nothing to deserve this.  This is obviously a quid pro quo situation. 

Woody donated to a campaign... and he is being rewarded for no other reason besides that.

The reason it is England, is because they are an ally, he wont have to do anything, and I doubt Woody can speak another language.

If you ever post something that I agree with, it might be the first time.

He was a fundraiser and advisor to Trump.  

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Woody is a wanker.

They'll probably play the Jaguars.  Nothing like the annual rubbish matchup at Wembley.

I can hear the Premiere League chants now.

"We're not going down,

We're not going up,

We're the Jets,

And we don't give a f*ck"

"Chim-chimminy, Chim-chimminy,

chim-chim-charee,

We're the Jets and we suck a big fat D"

There's a lot of crazy in that negative head of yours

5 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Very often Ambassadorships are gifts for contributions. And the people selected know nothing about the country they are going to be sent to. You'd think we would send people who were scholars and students of these countries and had spent a lot of time there. I really don't really think Woody knows anything at all about the UK. Just like he doesn't know about football. 

I beg to differ. Woody, much like the Queen and her clan, is very familiar with coming to fame and wealth simply by being born.

trump_woody.jpg

trump_woody-150x150.jpgPolitics is one of the only topics we normally avoid here at JetNation. That is hard at times because team owner Woody Johnson is very political and is in the news often. We just hate when Jets fans argue politics with other Jets fans. Especially because we have enough actual football topics to spend our time fighting about.

Today we make a political exception because Woody Johnson seems close to giving up day to day control of the team. Donald Trump called Woody Johnson “Ambassador” on Thursday. Pretty much confirming the rumors that Woody would be appointed as the Ambassador to the U.K.

Trump himself alluded to the diplomatic post for Johnson on Thursday, referring to him as “ambassador” during remarks at a celebratory luncheon in downtown Washington. At one point, Trump said Johnson was “going to St. James,” a reference to the official title held by the top U.S. diplomat in London.

The transition official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the nomination has not been formally announced.

The feeling that Jets fans have had for years is that Woody worries more about politics than he does football. These tweets by our new President seem to confirm those feelings.

There were reports saying that Woody would hand day to day control of the team over to his brother Christopher Johnson. We will have more on that as the details are released. For now though we will just be happy that Woody won’t be running the team anymore. Thank you Donald Trump, removing Woody from operations is a big step towards Making the Jets Great Again.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
TEvdAUwkMgk

Click here to read the full story...

8 hours ago, JetPotato said:

I beg to differ. Woody, much like the Queen and her clan, is very familiar with coming to fame and wealth simply by being born.

Yet, after a lifetime ruining his company, it's one of the top companies in the world . Like everything else around here, I smell ulterior motive .

Dude's burned well over $100 mil of his great grandpa's fortune trying to get people elected so he can save a couple bucks on his Alpine manse only to get rewarded with a nominal title as the errand boy to a sovereign territory with roughly the same geopolitical importance as Des Moines. It's hard to comprehend how someone born into such wealth can end up becoming so utterly worthless, but there he is. At least Paris Hilton had enough self-awareness to proffer an awful sex tape by way of compensation.

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dude's burned well over $100 mil of his great grandpa's fortune trying to get people elected so he can save a couple bucks on his Alpine manse only to get rewarded with a nominal title as the errand boy to a sovereign territory with roughly the same geopolitical importance as Des Moines. It's hard to comprehend how someone born into such wealth can end up becoming so utterly worthless, but there he is. At least Paris Hilton had enough self-awareness to proffer an awful sex tape by way of compensation.

It clearly has to be about money or influence because who would leave a sports ownership role to be a titular head?  Though I guess "tit head" does accurately describe Woody.  

8 hours ago, JetNation said:

trump_woody.jpg

trump_woody-150x150.jpgPolitics is one of the only topics we normally avoid here at JetNation. That is hard at times because team owner Woody Johnson is very political and is in the news often. We just hate when Jets fans argue politics with other Jets fans. Especially because we have enough actual football topics to spend our time fighting about.

Today we make a political exception because Woody Johnson seems close to giving up day to day control of the team. Donald Trump called Woody Johnson “Ambassador” on Thursday. Pretty much confirming the rumors that Woody would be appointed as the Ambassador to the U.K.

Trump himself alluded to the diplomatic post for Johnson on Thursday, referring to him as “ambassador” during remarks at a celebratory luncheon in downtown Washington. At one point, Trump said Johnson was “going to St. James,” a reference to the official title held by the top U.S. diplomat in London.

The transition official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the nomination has not been formally announced.

The feeling that Jets fans have had for years is that Woody worries more about politics than he does football. These tweets by our new President seem to confirm those feelings.

There were reports saying that Woody would hand day to day control of the team over to his brother Christopher Johnson. We will have more on that as the details are released. For now though we will just be happy that Woody won’t be running the team anymore. Thank you Donald Trump, removing Woody from operations is a big step towards Making the Jets Great Again.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

TEvdAUwkMgk

Click here to read the full story...

Trump a Jet fan? It's possible, maybe he can make some phone calls, if you know what I mean.

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Yet, after a lifetime ruining his company, it's one of the top companies in the world . Like everything else around here, I smell ulterior motive .

What company do you think Woody runs that is one of the top companies in the world? Before you smell anything, maybe you should know just a little bit about what you're talking about.

1 minute ago, JetPotato said:

What company do you think Woody runs that is one of the top companies in the world? Before you smell anything, maybe you should know just a little bit about what you're talking about.

you are so right .  carry on .

14 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Hooray... 4 years of the Jets being de-prioritized in favor of political turmoil!!!! 

:rolleyes:

Nice troll.

Woody is too meddling an owner.

Woody gets Ambassadorship.

Now Woody is too detached an owner and we're de-prioritized.

/chuckle

Today must be a tough day for alot of folks.  

21 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Speaking as a Jets fan, I think it's a small price to pay that Woody will likely screw things up with a if not the major ally of ours if this means we get a shot at better management coming from the owner.

Well, not really but you know what I mean.

I think Woody gets himself fired/forced to quit from what should be a cushy gig in 2-3 years

Just now, Beerfish said:

He has to find an experienced credible football guy to be between him and the coach and gm.

Anyone comparing this to Steinbrenner getting suspended by Fay Vincent is missing out on the fact that the Yankees had a great personnel guy Stick Michael running things while George was gone

Mac's record so far as a talent evaluator is mixed at best

Archived