Trump Sends Woody To U.K.; Makes Jets Great Again

Squirt

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He has to find an experienced credible football guy to be between him and the coach and gm.

Its a shame we couldn't get Coughlin in here like the Jags did. That would have brought some early hope for the upcoming season.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

:rolleyes:

Nice troll.

Woody is too meddling an owner.

Woody gets Ambassadorship.

Now Woody is too detached an owner and we're de-prioritized.

/chuckle

Today must be a tough day for alot of folks.  

I've never been much of a "Woody meddles" type. I genuinely think his brother will be told "maintain the status quo". So, it's not entirely a troll. 

Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps Woody's status in politics will elevate the NFL's agenda to do right by the Jets, in which case we thrive. I hadn't actually considered this until this morning, but it is a possibility I suppose.

Tough day? It's Friday... I love Friday's, we go out to dinner as a family on Friday and hear all about my little girl's weekend plans.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

I've never been much of a "Woody meddles" type. I genuinely think his brother will be told "maintain the status quo". So, it's not entirely a troll. 

Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps Woody's status in politics will elevate the NFL's agenda to do right by the Jets, in which case we thrive. I hadn't actually considered this until this morning, but it is a possibility I suppose.

Tough day? It's Friday... I love Friday's, we go out to dinner as a family on Friday and hear all about my little girl's weekend plans.

Woody's status in politics?

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Woody doesn't meddle as much as say Al Davis did when he was alive but when he does meddle it's always a disaster i.e - Tebow, Revis

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Woody's status in politics?

Woody has no status in politics even though he's donated a fortune to the republicans.  He was Bush's 3rd biggest donor when he was president and the jets were still a pariah organization in the nfl

I think guys like Bush and Trump just cash the checks from Woody and listen to him ramble on like an idiot going "uh huh, yeah."

Vice President Pence must have been laughing his ass off at Woody in the limo ride leaving the luxury box of the jets colts mnf.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Or like when Hess brought in Kotite!

Man, I'm shocked at you. I thought you knew the Jets better than this! Parcells came in here as a direct result of Kotite. Hess FINALLY reached the point of no return. From 1997-2004, the Jets went 9-7,12-4,8-8,9-7,10-6,9-7,6-10,10-6. This included 4 playoff appearances, 3 playoff wins, a division title and two 9-7 seasons where we were eliminated on the last day. Without a doubt, the longest run of success this crappy franchise has ever had. It was a DIRECT result of the way this entire organization was transformed under Parcells. Hopefully, Woody taking this post will have a similar effect on the Jets. 

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Whiiiiiiiich isn't happening

True most likely and that's why we will have the coach and gm fooling the dumbass owner that they know what the hell they are doing.

Especially the coach.  The Jets theh way they have their FO organized is the stupidest thing on earth.  Stupider than a McRib

Just now, Beerfish said:

True most likely and that's why we will have the coach and gm fooling the dumbass owner that they know what the hell they are doing.

Especially the coach.  The Jets theh way they have their FO organized is the stupidest thing on earth.  Stupider than a McRib

And like the McRib, the more you think about these Jets, the more likely it is you'll puke while consuming it. 

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

75 percent of the board have no idea who you are talking about.

Gene "Stick" Michael: The MAN WHO BUILT the 1990's NY Yankees Bronx Dynasty 

Gene Michael

Gene Michael
Gene Michael 2014.jpg
Shortstop / Manager
Born: June 2, 1938 (age 78)
Kent, Ohio
Batted: Switch Threw: Right
MLB debut
July 15, 1966, for the Pittsburgh Pirates
Last MLB appearance
September 9, 1975, for the Detroit Tigers
MLB statistics
Batting average .229
Home runs 15
Runs batted in 226
Managerial record 206–200
Winning % .507
Teams

As player

As manager

As general manager

Career highlights and awards

Eugene Richard Michael (born June 2, 1938), nicknamed "Stick", is a former player, manager and executive in Major League Baseball.

Playing career

Michael earned the nickname "Stick" due to his skinny frame. After finishing high school, he went to Kent State University where he played baseball and basketball. After being signed by the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1959, Michael spent 10 seasons in the major leagues playing mostly at shortstop. He spent only one year with the Pirates, his first season in the majors (1966). That winter he played basketball with the Columbus Comets of the North American Basketball Association (1966–67 season) (He would later return to Columbus in 1979 to manage the Columbus Clippers minor league baseball team). The following year he was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers with Bob Bailey for Maury Wills. He would only spend one season in Los Angeles, and was then purchased by the New York Yankees. He played for the Yankees from 1968 until 1974, beginning what would be a lifetime relationship with the team. His last season in the majors was in 1975 when he played for the Detroit Tigers. Michael then signed with the Boston Red Sox in 1976, but did not play a game with Boston, staying on the roster just long enough to accrue ten years of service time.

Michael was a master of the hidden ball trick, having pulled it off five times in his career.

Post-playing career

After retiring, Michael became a coach with the Yankees and was manager of the Yankees in both 1981 and 1982, although it was in two separate tenures. He would manage the Chicago Cubs in 1986 and 1987, the only post-retirement years not spent with the Yankees. He was replaced as Cubs manager the following season by Don Zimmer. In 1990, he was made general manager of the Yankees, during this time he built the Yankees farm system and laid the seeds for their dominance in the second half of the decade. This was facilitated in part by the suspension of Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, who had earned a reputation as a meddler. The Yankees also began building young talent, rather than trading it away, as they had done in the 1980s with little success. During Michael's tenure as general manager, the Yankees drafted or signed such notable players as Mariano RiveraAndy PettitteDerek JeterJorge Posada (collectively known as the Core Four), and others. Further, he traded popular prospect Roberto Kelly for Paul O'Neill, whose fiery persona and play would become a cornerstone for the team. This foundation paid off with Yankee championships in 1996, and from 1998–2000. However, Michael was fired before the Yankees dynasty began, as a result of the fallouts from the 1994 strike, which ruined the Yankees having the best record in the American League that year in 1995.It was the second time that the Yankees fired Michael as a result of a strike; in 1981, he was fired as manager as a result of the strike that year.

From 1996 until 2002, Michael served as vice-president of major league scouting for the Yankees, and in 2003 was promoted to vice-president and senior advisor. In 2002, the Boston Red Sox tried to talk to Michael about their general manager position, but were not given permission by the Yankees.

9 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Gene "Stick" Michael: The MAN WHO BUILT the 1990's NY Yankees Bronx Dynasty 

Gene Michael

Gene Michael
Gene Michael 2014.jpg
Shortstop / Manager
Born: June 2, 1938 (age 78)
Kent, Ohio
Batted: Switch Threw: Right
MLB debut
July 15, 1966, for the Pittsburgh Pirates
Last MLB appearance
September 9, 1975, for the Detroit Tigers
MLB statistics
Batting average .229
Home runs 15
Runs batted in 226
Managerial record 206–200
Winning % .507
Teams

As player

As manager

As general manager

Career highlights and awards

Eugene Richard Michael (born June 2, 1938), nicknamed "Stick", is a former player, manager and executive in Major League Baseball.

Playing career

Michael earned the nickname "Stick" due to his skinny frame. After finishing high school, he went to Kent State University where he played baseball and basketball. After being signed by the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1959, Michael spent 10 seasons in the major leagues playing mostly at shortstop. He spent only one year with the Pirates, his first season in the majors (1966). That winter he played basketball with the Columbus Comets of the North American Basketball Association (1966–67 season) (He would later return to Columbus in 1979 to manage the Columbus Clippers minor league baseball team). The following year he was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers with Bob Bailey for Maury Wills. He would only spend one season in Los Angeles, and was then purchased by the New York Yankees. He played for the Yankees from 1968 until 1974, beginning what would be a lifetime relationship with the team. His last season in the majors was in 1975 when he played for the Detroit Tigers. Michael then signed with the Boston Red Sox in 1976, but did not play a game with Boston, staying on the roster just long enough to accrue ten years of service time.

Michael was a master of the hidden ball trick, having pulled it off five times in his career.

Post-playing career

After retiring, Michael became a coach with the Yankees and was manager of the Yankees in both 1981 and 1982, although it was in two separate tenures. He would manage the Chicago Cubs in 1986 and 1987, the only post-retirement years not spent with the Yankees. He was replaced as Cubs manager the following season by Don Zimmer. In 1990, he was made general manager of the Yankees, during this time he built the Yankees farm system and laid the seeds for their dominance in the second half of the decade. This was facilitated in part by the suspension of Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, who had earned a reputation as a meddler. The Yankees also began building young talent, rather than trading it away, as they had done in the 1980s with little success. During Michael's tenure as general manager, the Yankees drafted or signed such notable players as Mariano RiveraAndy PettitteDerek JeterJorge Posada (collectively known as the Core Four), and others. Further, he traded popular prospect Roberto Kelly for Paul O'Neill, whose fiery persona and play would become a cornerstone for the team. This foundation paid off with Yankee championships in 1996, and from 1998–2000. However, Michael was fired before the Yankees dynasty began, as a result of the fallouts from the 1994 strike, which ruined the Yankees having the best record in the American League that year in 1995.It was the second time that the Yankees fired Michael as a result of a strike; in 1981, he was fired as manager as a result of the strike that year.

From 1996 until 2002, Michael served as vice-president of major league scouting for the Yankees, and in 2003 was promoted to vice-president and senior advisor. In 2002, the Boston Red Sox tried to talk to Michael about their general manager position, but were not given permission by the Yankees.

Absolutely.  I still remember him at short, Jerry Kenny at 3rd, Horace Clark at 2nd and Danny Cater on 1st.  

This is an especially difficult period for Europe and the U.K. With Brexit, Russian aggression, NATO, etc. This is not the time for amateurs like Woody messing things up. We need professionals. Let him screw up the Jets instead. Rather have him here than there. He is not qualified to be Ambassador to anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

This is an especially difficult period for Europe and the U.K. With Brexit, Russian aggression, NATO, etc. This is not the time for amateurs like Woody messing things up. We need professionals. Let him screw up the Jets instead. Rather have him here than there. He is not qualified to be Ambassador to anywhere. 

double post please read the next one

ambassadors really don't do much tho it's mostly a schmoozing position. 

for the Jets this can only be good news. It's not exactly "New" blood to bring his brother in but it is different blood and that's good news

besides a lack of  QB, ownership has been the problem with this team. No one wants to work for an involved owner, especially one who seems to lack any kind of long term plan.

Since Al Davis passed Woody and Jerry Jones are the biggest meddler owners. And at least Jerry Jones knows football. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

ambassadors really don't do much tho it's mostly a schmoozing position. 

for the Jets this can only be good news. It's not exactly "New" blood to bring his brother in but it is different blood and that's good news

besides a lack of  QB, ownership has been the problem with this team. No one wants to work for an involved owner, especially one who seems to lack any kind of long term plan.

Since Al Davis passed Woody and Jerry Jones are the biggest meddler owners. And at least Jerry Jones knows football. 

Only one of them is above board and candid about it and ours pretends he is not a meddler.  Tim Tebow was all on him.

8 hours ago, section314 said:

Man, I'm shocked at you. I thought you knew the Jets better than this! Parcells came in here as a direct result of Kotite. Hess FINALLY reached the point of no return. From 1997-2004, the Jets went 9-7,12-4,8-8,9-7,10-6,9-7,6-10,10-6. This included 4 playoff appearances, 3 playoff wins, a division title and two 9-7 seasons where we were eliminated on the last day. Without a doubt, the longest run of success this crappy franchise has ever had. It was a DIRECT result of the way this entire organization was transformed under Parcells. Hopefully, Woody taking this post will have a similar effect on the Jets. 

Except this time we're bringing in Woody Johnson's brother, not Bill Parcells.

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Except this time we're bringing in Woody Johnson's brother, not Bill Parcells.

I know, that doesn't thrill me either. I just hope that his brother realizes that he has a major opportunity to get Jets out of the Stone Age here by turning this into a well run, competent organization.  Maybe go the Jags route and bring in a Coughlin type guy to be the football czar, and have a clearly defined pecking order like any normal team. Can always hope, right? But I'm not going to hold my breath.

Really? What does Trumps tax returns have to do with this topic... besides I haven't even hit 100 posts yet and even I know not to talk politics here. 

You sir are quite correct, not the place for politics, chalk it up to my one and only protest post on this forum for the next four years, my apologies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, fltflo said:

You sir are quite correct, not the place for politics, chalk it up to my one and only protest post on this forum for the next four years, my apologies.

I mean, God, if only there was a way for me to explain to people, how nobody, I mean absolutely ******* nobody, cares about somebody else's political position. It's crazy to think about all these people on social media spewing their hearts out...and not one **** is given by the entire world. And yet there they go. People talking over people. 

5 hours ago, HessStation said:
I mean, God, if only there was a way for me to explain to people, how nobody, I mean absolutely ******* nobody, cares about somebody else's political position. It's crazy to think about all these people on social media spewing their hearts out...and not one **** is given by the entire world. And yet there they go. People talking over people. 

Not sure what that was all about but okay, hope you feel better now that you got that out.

5 hours ago, HessStation said:

I love your passion.

On January 20, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Rangers9 said:

Woody has done a great job winning with class as the jets owner I'm sure he'll do a great job as ambassador. 

Archived