Jets hire new DL coach

flgreen

23 hours ago, RSJ said:

Kind of makes me think the Jets could make a play for JPP in free agency and move to a 4-3. It would be a great 4-3 front if they were to add someone like JPP.

Bout time they move to that. If you are drafting DL every year and running a 3-4 you are in the wrong defense alignment. A 4-3 will generate more pressure and now we will have to find a way to trade Lee because no way is he a 3-4 or 4-3 linebacker. There are safeties bigger than him.

Sounds official... Fired by the Browns after one year... Has coached for another 5 teams in his career. 

He's definitely a "veteran" coach, for whatever that's worth. 

I agree with the idea of a 4-3... Nunn has run a 4-3 just about everywhere he's gone... It actually sounds to me like he didn't want anything to do with the 3-4 that Cleveland was trotting out there... So it's interesting. Maybe they're looking to switch it up?

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-hire-robert-nunn-as-defensive-line-coach/214155934

11 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Sounds official... Fired by the Browns after one year... Has coached for another 5 teams in his career. 

He's definitely a "veteran" coach, for whatever that's worth. 

I agree with the idea of a 4-3... Nunn has run a 4-3 just about everywhere he's gone... It actually sounds to me like he didn't want anything to do with the 3-4 that Cleveland was trotting out there... So it's interesting. Maybe they're looking to switch it up?

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-hire-robert-nunn-as-defensive-line-coach/214155934

This is Todd Bowles we're talking about, we do not run a 3-4 or a 4-3 but rather a hybrid that the coach feels is clever and puts players in a poor position to succeed and screws over his gm who doens't know whether to draft 4-3 or 3-4 guys.

11 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Bout time they move to that. If you are drafting DL every year and running a 3-4 you are in the wrong defense alignment. A 4-3 will generate more pressure and now we will have to find a way to trade Lee because no way is he a 3-4 or 4-3 linebacker. There are safeties bigger than him.

Our Gm just spent the last two years drafting 3-4 linebackers.  Our coach is a tool who has no clue what he wants to run,

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is Todd Bowles we're talking about, we do not run a 3-4 or a 4-3 but rather a hybrid that the coach feels is clever and puts players in a poor position to succeed and screws over his gm who doens't know whether to draft 4-3 or 3-4 guys.

I know, I know.

I'm kind of just hoping that TB is learning too here as only a 2 year HC, and as he sits back and looks at things maybe makes the decision to focus on one or the other...

I know there's not a damn thing that gives any indication of that, but with how badly things went I hope he's willing to evaluate himself... 

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/1/24/14369010/ny-jets-who-made-drive-ending-tackles-in-2016

Not all tackles are created equal. A tackle to stop a play for no gain is different from one where the runner drags the defender 5 yards before going down. Similarly, a tackle by a cornerback after a completion to allow a first down is different from a third down stop.

I wanted to take a look at which players made drive ending tackles for the Jets in 2016. The defense obviously wasn't very good, but were there any standouts? Fortunately, Pro Football Reference's Play Index is our friend. I sorted out tackles made by Jets defenders short of the sticks on third and fourth down. It shows that Sheldon Richardson at least had some success in this isolated area.

Player Tkl
Sheldon Richardson 7
Leonard Williams 6
Calvin Pryor 5
Rontez Miles 5
David Harris 4
Buster Skrine 4
Darron Lee 3
Jordan Jenkins 3
Darrelle Revis 3
Juston Burris 2
Muhammad Wilkerson 2
Jarvis Jenkins 2
Antonio Allen 1
Deon Simon 1
Marcus Gilchrist 1
Doug Middleton 1
Bruce Carter 1
Lorenzo Mauldin 1
Mike Catapano 1
Erin Henderson 1
Steve McLendon 1

How does this stack up with the rest of the league? Here are the NFL leaders in drive-ending tackles according to the Play Index.

Player Tkl
Preston Brown 19
Sean Lee 18
Zach Orr 16
Miles Killebrew 15
Nigel Bradham 13
Tahir Whitehead 13
Kwon Alexander 13
Jerrell Freeman 12
Korey Toomer 12
Christian Kirksey 12
Keenan Robinson 12