AFC/NFC Championship Games Discussion Thread

joewilly12

11 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Peyton Manning had 9 TD's and 17 INT's and won a Super Bowl last season.   D was not as dominant, nor were any other D's this season. I'm not sure what the Steelers put on the field yesterday, but they were pathetic on defense. How many times can you leave Chris Hogan WIDE OPEN?!! And of course zero pressure on Tom Tom.  

Pitt lost b/c of Brady and the Pats O.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

They also lost because they lost their MVP and could not run and control the clock, which frankly was their only chance in this mismatch. But their defense was terrible and matched up poorly against the Pats. Pats made it look beyond easy. I don't think Pitt was a Super Bowl caliber team and the game was largely a mismatch. 

5 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

They also lost because they lost their MVP and could not run and control the clock, which frankly was their only chance in this mismatch. But their defense was terrible and matched up poorly against the Pats. Pats made it look beyond easy. I don't think Pitt was a Super Bowl caliber team and the game was largely a mismatch. 

D'Angelo was doing a good job, it hurt to lose Bell but they have a great backup.  they just couldn't stop NE.

I think Pitt overachieved as well.

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

3 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

They lost because their defense sucks. They lost because Ben has been terrible on the road this year, and the Pats are flat out dominant at home. They lost because Leveon got hurt, and Antonio Brown had no impact. They lost because you can't spot the Patriots 10 points before you convert your first 1st down of the game. They lost because Mike Tomlin is out-coached by Belichick routinely. They lost because the Patriots didn't get called for a penalty until after they had a 3 score lead. 

They lost because they were never supposed to win. The NFL is a cash cow, and Vegas loves the Patriots in the big game. 

12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

They lost because their defense sucks. They lost because Ben has been terrible on the road this year, and the Pats are flat out dominant at home. They lost because Leveon got hurt, and Antonio Brown had no impact. They lost because you can't spot the Patriots 10 points before you convert your first 1st down of the game. They lost because Mike Tomlin is out-coached by Belichick routinely. They lost because the Patriots didn't get called for a penalty until after they had a 3 score lead. 

They lost because they were never supposed to win. The NFL is a cash cow, and Vegas loves the Patriots in the big game. 

Ben was far from terrible yesterday.  their D/the Pats O whatever you want to call that game was won w/ NE's O vs. Pitt's D

obviously the league makes it easy for NE to win which was why they had a witch hunt for Brady and suspended him over nothing.

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Pretty much sums it up. They would have almost certainly lost anyhow, but that Brady obvious fumble ruled "inconclusive" also speaks volumes. Some things never change...

5 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Pretty much sums it up. They would have almost certainly lost anyhow, but that Brady obvious fumble ruled "inconclusive" also speaks volumes. Some things never change...

what was obvious about that exactly?  it was almost impossible to say whether his knee was down when he fumbled and I have no sympathy for Pitt after the Sanchez "fumble" in the 2010 title game that easily could have been called incomplete

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Ben was far from terrible yesterday.  their D/the Pats O whatever you want to call that game was won w/ NE's O vs. Pitt's D

obviously the league makes it easy for NE to win which was why they had a witch hunt for Brady and suspended him over nothing.

I'm not going to split hairs over Ben's performance. If he played like Brady or Ryan, then they might have won. He didn't, and he's been worse on the road this year. Fact. So, the expectation that he'd out-play Brady in Foxboro was far-fetched from the get go. In general, I think you missed the overall gist of my post, if you think diving into the semantics is worthwhile. 

The "witchhunt" for Brady is all showmanship to restore goodwill between Goodell and the other owners. End of the day, the NFL is a business, and the Patriots are their best product - because people tune into see them lose as much as they tune in to see them win. And, like I said, Vegas loves them some Pats. You actually think 

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

what was obvious about that exactly?  it was almost impossible to say whether his knee was down when he fumbled and I have no sympathy for Pitt after the Sanchez "fumble" in the 2010 title game that easily could have been called incomplete

One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Bad logic and hypothetical arguments over semantics. I'd forgotten how you "discuss". Rock on... 

16 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Bad logic and hypothetical arguments over semantics. I'd forgotten how you "discuss". Rock on... 

show me the evidence to overturn this "obvious" call?  can you ever get through a post w/o hurling insults?  

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

show me the evidence to overturn this "obvious" call?  can you ever get through a post w/o hurling insults?  

Identifying your statements as bad logic and hypothetical arguments isn't an insult. It's like saying water is wet. If that's the type of commentary you make, then having it identified as such is just speaking plainly. Don't be so sensitive. It's not like I called you a name.

As for providing proof - it's irrelevant. I'm not arguing over whether it was or wasn't a fumble. I'm saying that the Sanchez fumble and you having no sympathy is completely unrelated to the Brady fumble. 

But don't let that stop you from using irrelevant hyperbole to emphasize your point. It's all good.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Identifying your statements as bad logic and hypothetical arguments isn't an insult. It's like saying water is wet. If that's the type of commentary you make, then having it identified as such is just speaking plainly. Don't be so sensitive. It's not like I called you a name.

As for providing proof - it's irrelevant. I'm not arguing over whether it was or wasn't a fumble. I'm saying that the Sanchez fumble and you having no sympathy is completely unrelated to the Brady fumble. 

But don't let that stop you from using irrelevant hyperbole to emphasize your point. It's all good.

stop it.  you fool no one.

you are bad at sports debates and lying.

33 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I think they ruled it a fumble but there was no conclusive recovery

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

stop it.  you fool no one.

you are bad at sports debates and lying.

What, exactly, are we debating? I made a statement, you decided to split hairs over the least relevant part of the statement - as per the usual. I called it out as such. Now you're going to start flailing talking about insults and splitting hairs further until you find something that you can claim as a victory. 

You rely exclusively on dishonest debate tactics. There is no discussion, this is what you do. We all know it. 

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

What, exactly, are we debating? I made a statement, you decided to split hairs over the least relevant part of the statement - as per the usual. I called it out as such. Now you're going to start flailing talking about insults and splitting hair until you find something that you can claim as a victory. 

You rely exclusively on dishonest debate tactics. There is no discussion.

you bore me.  please ignore posts.

51 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I don't like Pittsburgh either. The refs acknowledged the fumble. They said they could not determine who recovered. Reviews showed it clearly was recovered by a Steeler defender. Anyhow, not surprised or phased by any of it. I have become numbed. 

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Once again though the folly of a great defense winning is exposed. Don't tell me about the Broncos last year or the Seahawks, they both still could pass. None of the final four defenses are all that good, and the Packers were especially awful. Pats do have the great talent of interfering with opposing receivers every down without getting called for PI, which is wonderful. And running the ball isn't so wonderful either. Defense and running the ball are basically a sucker bet. Go sit in the corner with Rex Ryan babbling about how your #2 vs the run. 

Simply have a good QB and pass effectively is what wins NFL  games. Now, Mr. Maccagnan,  go ahead and draft a safety and then an LB  and then a  CB while you have the sh*ttiest of offenses.If they do not upgrade the offense significantly I may be done with this collection of suck.    

And Dulcinea was a filthy whore. 

Oh I agree...  you may have missed my point which is the PATS are better than most teams not JUST on offense.  Their D is solid, special teams etc.  You fukk up a a PAT, Billicek releases you.  Weren't the 3-1 without Brady?

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

BB really is just, another level.

Brady is great, but how do their decent but not amazing WR get that open every week?  Trade 2 of their top defensive players, and have #1 scoring D, no sweat.  That team is just so prepared, and never make the dumb mistake. 

the sad thing is there nothing that strange about what they do but execute their plans nearly flawlessly.  somehow the bellichicken gets through to all of his players.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Once again though the folly of a great defense winning is exposed. Don't tell me about the Broncos last year or the Seahawks, they both still could pass. None of the final four defenses are all that good, and the Packers were especially awful. Pats do have the great talent of interfering with opposing receivers every down without getting called for PI, which is wonderful. And running the ball isn't so wonderful either. Defense and running the ball are basically a sucker bet. Go sit in the corner with Rex Ryan babbling about how your #2 vs the run. 

Simply have a good QB and pass effectively is what wins NFL  games. Now, Mr. Maccagnan,  go ahead and draft a safety and then an LB  and then a  CB while you have the sh*ttiest of offenses.If they do not upgrade the offense significantly I may be done with this collection of suck.    

And Dulcinea was a filthy whore. 

their defense won that game more than the offense.  they kept roethlisberger in check the whole game.  it helped that they were playing with a lead but early on it was clear the steelers weren't getting much done.  add that to the home field advantage and they are where they are.

Pats' defense features 1 guy, Brown,taken in the first round,and a collection of mid to late rounders and free agents. Again, keep spending that top pick on defense and pretending you can win 13-10. Grant you Manning was seriously on the downside last year, but he still is way better than the dreck QBs of Florham Park. Heck, McCourty is from Rutgers. 

Ironically this past weekend we all watched the same games but have different views and opinions. 

The Patriots are a dynasty team they have the superior coach and QB in the NFL and have for years. 

The Falcons look to be unstoppable on offense and defense. 

Good football.

This time of football season is always hard on Jets we are all suffering. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ironically this past weekend we all watched the same games but have different views and opinions. 

The Patriots are a dynasty team they have the superior coach and QB in the NFL and have for years. 

The Falcons look to be unstoppable on offense and defense. 

Good football.

This time of football season is always hard on Jets we are all suffering. 

Falcons have a lot on offense.

That being said, I am impressed,  7 starters on defense in 2 drafts.   I know what their rankings were on the season, but that D looks a lot better now than it did the first 8 weeks.  Add to that for next year, when instead of rookies and second year players, it's guys in years 2 and 3, their D could really improve.   Forget the coaching, look at the infusion of sheer talent in the last 2 years for them, and for us.

29 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Oh I agree...  you may have missed my point which is the PATS are better than most teams not JUST on offense.  Their D is solid, special teams etc.  You fukk up a a PAT, Billicek releases you.  Weren't the 3-1 without Brady?

Even their special teams.   Going up against the Texans with that great D?  Good, return a kick off for a TD.   It's not just one unit, all 3 play well.  Look at their special teams play over the Jets, the difference is staggering.

17 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Falcons have a lot on offense.

That being said, I am impressed,  7 starters on defense in 2 drafts.   I know what their rankings were on the season, but that D looks a lot better now than it did the first 8 weeks.  Add to that for next year, when instead of rookies and second year players, it's guys in years 2 and 3, their D could really improve.   Forget the coaching, look at the infusion of sheer talent in the last 2 years for them, and for us.

Maybe I'm just cherry picking here, but if you cut down the games to just look at their last 4-6 + the playoffs you'll see a completely different looking defense. Something seems to have just clicked for them when they hit the last 3rd or so of the season, and they've been downright good. 

One thing you'll see or read about them doing is communicating as a unit really well... That's something Pitt just did not do very well last night. They all looked confused as to why a teammate was standing where they were... From what I can tell ATL does a much better job at working together as a team. 

Just now, DMan77 said:

Maybe I'm just cherry picking here, but if you cut down the games to just look at their last 4-6 + the playoffs you'll see a completely different looking defense. Something seems to have just clicked for them when they hit the last 3rd or so of the season, and they've been downright good. 

One thing you'll see or read about them doing is communicating as a unit really well... That's something Pitt just did not do very well last night. They all looked confused as to why a teammate was standing where they were... From what I can tell ATL does a much better job at working together as a team. 

No, I agree.   They have a bunch of young guys, and after a few months of playing together they are really starting to get it and come together.   The one thing they all have in common is they can run, it's a young, fast defense. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

The talent level that is on teams in the Super Bowl far exceeds the NY Jets roster we are ages behind of ever competing for a Super Bowl as fans we see this yet our management and coaches masquerades a 53 man roster and tries to compete in the NFL. 

Watching football for the last couple weeks after watching Jets games, it's like arena league vs the NFL.

Pitt lost on all sides of the ball.
1st and goal from 12 inches away and they can't get there?   That wasn't Brady stuffing their running backs.

Why the hell didn't that idiot Haley call a QB sneak on 1st down? About as basic as it gets...Game was over after that ridiculous series.

On 1/22/2017 at 4:01 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I almost hate the Knicks now for what Dolan did to the franchise (though I remain a Ranger fan).  Isiah Thomas might've destroyed my Knick-fandom.

Yeah, double me down on that sentiment.  The Knicks suck the soul out of fans like no other team.  My hate for everything about the organization, except Porzingas, is percolating.

Archived