Dan Quinn

Lizard King

20 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Dan Quinn can override anyone on his staff but when sees his OC is being a total f'ng moron and is single handedly blowing the game, he does nothing.  He's still doesn't deserve any blame though.  Got it!

If the Falcons ran the ball and missed a 40 yard field goal, then Matt Bryant is the big story, not the horrendous in game management.  His job as a head coach is to make sure that sh*t like the 2nd half doesn't happen.  He utterly FAILED as a head coach in the 2nd half.

It appears that the Falcons also adopted the Jets model of having a Defensive HC actually run the defense but delegate the offense to the OC almost completely.  

A great HC is in charge of the entire operation.  I think BB may have started actually running the defense, but now he acts more like the overall head.  Tomlin basically operates the same way.  I think the way to run a football team is to have as many smart people providing input as possibl but have someone very capable overseeing everything.  

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, varjet said:

It appears that the Falcons also adopted the Jets model of having a Defensive HC actually run the defense but delegate the offense to the OC almost completely.  

A great HC is in charge of the entire operation.  I think BB may have started actually running the defense, but now he acts more like the overall head.  Tomlin basically operates the same way.  I think the way to run a football team is to have as many smart people providing input as possibl but have someone very capable overseeing everything.  

And given the way the Falcons defense played that year, although they were solid last night, is he any good?

25 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

Quinn is now been on the losing side twice in which his team would have won two super bowls but because of hubris, stupidity his coached football teams now have had the 2 worst defeats in Super Bowl history due to inept coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He's  putting out a funny track record as a HC . In 2 yrs, his teams have started out hot and finished in the worst way possible . His 1st yr started with a 5-0 record only to finish with a terrible losing record . Then you take starting the SB with a 28-3 lead and losing in the manner his team lost .  It's enough to give Old Arthur Blank  heart issues .  Lord forbid .  

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I understand how unpopular Bowles is here, but that's why I was mildly happy to hear how he wants to be more of a CEO Head Coach this year, ala Parcells/BB.  It remains to be seen if he will actually do it and, as positive as I can be, I have my doubts...but like you just said, all the great ones are guys who can oversee and reign everyone in.  At least Todd admitting that and understanding that is a right step.  Last night is the perfect example of what not to do in a big spot as a head coach.  

I really don't think I could ever watch football again if that were us and not the Falcons last night.  Absolutely gut wrenching.

Plus, the Falcons' D was GASSED.  It's Quinn's job to monitor that and let his OC know to give the D a breather by slowing it down.  They already had 2 big plays and were set up to grind it out to kill the clock, make it a 2 score game and celebrate.

Exhausted, the speed between the first and second half was night and day, and the Pats were also going no huddle late and they couldn't sub. Those guys had no chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

I liked Dan Quinn until about 10 PM last night.

All I can say is "WTF???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

He/they made a critical mistake:  They let the Pats and Brady get into a rhythm.  After that, they got steamrolled on both sides of the ball.  Once it got rolling, the Falcons were dead in the water.

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Dan Quinn can override anyone on his staff but when sees his OC is being a total f'ng moron and is single handedly blowing the game, he does nothing.  He's still doesn't deserve any blame though.  Got it!

If the Falcons ran the ball and missed a 40 yard field goal, then Matt Bryant is the big story, not the horrendous in game management.  His job as a head coach is to make sure that sh*t like the 2nd half doesn't happen.  He utterly FAILED as a head coach in the 2nd half.

well they were up by 8 points so it was a 2 score game a TD and a 2 point conversion. I guess they felt getting that last first down would have sealed the game and once again if it worked Quinn is getting gushed all over by most if not all of the people in this thread. I fully understand the philosophy you are stating here and I agree with it since I probably do the same thing your saying but this was no where near as stupid as what Bevel and Carrol did, not even close. If it was a chip shot 20 or 30 yarder then fine 100 % you run the ball but it was going to be a mid 40's field goal not a chip shot. No sense arguing over it ..its over and the Pats once again win a SB because of questionable crap.

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I wanted him before we hired Bowles and I will stick by that statement. 

He was out coached by BB yesterday. 

Figures you support the worst coach in the NFL. 

Figures you call your teams HC the worst in the league

On 2/6/2017 at 2:55 PM, Mogglez said:

Dan Quinn can override anyone on his staff but when he sees his OC is being a total f'ng moron and is single handedly blowing the game, he does nothing.  He's still doesn't deserve any blame though.  Got it!

good points all.  i urge everyone to read the espn story on how the falcons odds of winning shifted as the game progressed.  and when you read about the sequence of events it is astonishing how lucky the patsies were to have so many things go wrong for the falcons.  two times the falcons were within fg distance and both times they were pushed back by a sack and a holding call.  either fg would have sealed the game.  and then there was the strip sack on a 3rd and 1 play.  how did schitty er i mean shanahan call a pass play is beyond anyone.  and then how many times did the falcons run the ball out instead of taking knee?  and, of course, this doesn't include edelman's catch or the tipped throw that went to bennett.  simply amazing.

Maybe it's good the Jets never get to the Super Bowl.  I don't know if I could of lived through the kind of turn around Atlanta.fans must have experienced in the 4th quarter.

Could you imagine what would be happening to Bowles on here right now .LOL

You've gotta look at the bright side of things

34 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Maybe it's good the Jets never get to the Super Bowl.  I don't know if I could of lived through the kind of turn around Atlanta.fans must have experienced in the 4th quarter.

Could you imagine what would be happening to Bowles on here right now .LOL

You've gotta look at the bright side of things

I couldn't watch football ever again. 

9 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Not on this occasion.

9 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Facts and what transpired in 2016 backs my statement, obviously the truth hurts you. 

#notmyheadcoach

Image result for todd bowles me mes

Other than he's been a HC 2 years you're about half trying.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Not quite as much as you but at times yes.

Are the Jets:-

A) A well run franchise, with great coaching, drafting, and future great QB?

Or

B ) A poorly coached, badly ran, team, with no cap space, and no QB at all?

One of us thinks it's A, one of us thinks it's B. I know which camp I'm in, because I like to stick to reality.

6 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Are the Jets:-

A) A well run franchise, with great coaching, drafting, and future great QB?

Or

B ) A poorly coached, badly ran, team, with no cap space, and no QB at all?

One of us thinks it's A, one of us thinks it's B. I know which camp I'm in, because I like to stick to reality.

Does any of this have a thing to do with Bowles having been the HC 2 years?  A simple statement.  Especially the QB question.  And BTW, they'll have cap space.  

Dont know what alternative reality you're dealing with.  Bowles has coached 2 seasons, winning 10 in year 1.  That's the reality of it the statement

On 2/6/2017 at 3:40 PM, varjet said:

Nonsense, BB and Tomlin do not call offensive plays.  Most teams, if not all are run pretty much the same way.  The HC has input but isn't calling plays.  Rex would be asked by Shotty what he wanted to do and he would tell him he wanted to run time off the clock, or just to run.  Broad strokes.  

On February 6, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Mogglez said:

Dan Quinn can override anyone on his staff but when he sees his OC is being a total f'ng moron and is single handedly blowing the game, he does nothing.  He's still doesn't deserve any blame though.  Got it!

It really is stunning that the guy could go the whole season and post season without a hitch and then sh*t the bed so dramatically in the last 30 minutes of the SB.

I've never seen anyone get so dumb so fast.

He was the poster child of the year for NFL coaches until around 7:30 Sunday night.

If I were a Falcon's fan, I'd still be drunk right now. 

2 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

It really is stunning that the guy could go the whole season and post season without a hitch and then sh*t the bed so dramatically in the last 30 minutes of the SB.

I've never seen anyone get so dumb so fast.

He was the poster child of the year for NFL coaches until around 7:30 Sunday night.

If I were a Falcon's fan, I'd still be drunk right now. 

i don't know if you can say this past season went without a hitch for quinn this past season.  first, the team finished 11-5.  not a great record for a dominant team.  second, how could they not do well with matty ice, jones, sanu, et al.  they have some really good players there.  i'm sure if anyone looks back on their season they'll find more than a few games that quinn botched but still won.

Archived