Favre's Year as a Jet

TuscanyTile2

I was reading another thread where Favre was brought up.  Seems like (I think) there were a lot of negative opinions about him.  Personally I liked Favre.  I think if he didn't get hurt we would've been a solid playoff team.  Do most people look back negatively on Favre's (short) tenure here?  I thought he did well and I wonder if people dislike Favre for other reasons (his constant flip-flopping on coming back and his freewheeling style that led to interceptions).

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm mad his arm gave out while we were 8-3 and looking unbeatable just for him to come back two years later with the Vikings and go to the NFC championship game. That's about all I have to say on Favre. He's a hometown hero here. He was born and played college here in Hattiesburg about 10 minutes away from me. I have a lot of respect for the man just as anyone from MS does, but idk wtf happened while he was with NYJ. Still a mystery.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was reading another thread where Favre was brought up.  Seems like (I think) there were a lot of negative opinions about him.  Personally I liked Favre.  I think if he didn't get hurt we would've been a solid playoff team.  Do most people look back negatively on Favre's (short) tenure here?  I thought he did well and I wonder if people dislike Favre for other reasons (his constant flip-flopping on coming back and his freewheeling style that led to interceptions).

Things Jets fans love:

1. The Rex Ryan Era

2. Chad Pennington

3. The Herm Edwards Era

Things Jets fans complain about:

1. Bill Parcells

2. Mangini 

3. Favre

conclusion: Jets fans are largely stupid.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Things Jets fans love:

1. The Rex Ryan Era

2. Chad Pennington

3. The Herm Edwards Era

1. Bill Parcells

2. Mangini 

3. Favre

Hi, tom. How are you today? When has anyone complained about Parcells though?

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Things Jets fans love:

1. The Rex Ryan Era

2. Chad Pennington

3. The Herm Edwards Era

1. Bill Parcells

2. Mangini 

3. Favre

LMAO - I've never thought of it this way but you really hit the nail on the head!  I loved Parcells but have always noticed a lot of hate for him by Jet fans.  I would absolutely bring back Mangini to this franchise (as HC, GM, scout, whatever) but many people mock him.  And I was a fan of Favre but people seem to think negatively about him.

I hated noodle-armed, 2 yard hail mary pass, "it's a privilege to watch me" Chad,

I did enjoy the 1st 2 seasons of Rex but wow did he ever fall apart.

Herm was a total joke IMO (how embarrassing was "you play to win the game").  Even Bill Belichick who is famously tight-lipped once said something about winning the game before it was played (I assume in reference to easily out-coaching Herm).  In Herm's defense, though, he must've known his limitations and delegated appropriately, because we actually won a playoff game under him.

32 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I'm mad his arm gave out while we were 8-3 and looking unbeatable just for him to come back two years later with the Vikings and go to the NFC championship game. That's about all I have to say on Favre. He's a hometown hero here. He was born and played college here in Hattiesburg about 10 minutes away from me. I have a lot of respect for the man just as anyone from MS does, but idk wtf happened while he was with NYJ. Still a mystery.

I was at the TENN game in 2008.  MOst fun I've had at any sporting event. southerners from all over rooting for the JETS because if Favre.  The entire weekend was special and much of it was due to him.   TENN was undefeated and we rocked them that day.

Then the shlt hit the fan as we lost, and lost, and lost.   

Just now, southparkcpa said:

I was at the TENN game in 2008.  MOst fun I've had at any sporting event. southerners from all over rooting for the JETS because if Favre.  The entire weekend was special and much of it was due to him.   TENN was undefeated and we rocked them that day.

Then the shlt hit the fan as we lost, and lost, and lost.   

Yeah I remember that. Our running game killed them and the defense shut Chris Johnson down.(which was SO hard to do back then) everyone from Mississippi was a Jets fan after that, I was disgusted by all of the fake love. They didn't struggle through the fandom to see the benefits of what was looking to be a super bowl type of year. After we ended the season 9-7 everyone went back to dick riding the Saints...then they won the Super Bowls year or two after. I can't wait until the Jets get good and our fan base grows over night. I'm going to call out every bandwagon fan in the world to the point where they cry lol

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah I remember that. Our running game killed them and the defense shut Chris Johnson down.(which was SO hard to do back then) everyone from Mississippi was a Jets fan after that, I was disgusted by all of the fake love. They didn't struggle through the fandom to see the benefits of what was looking to be a super bowl type of year. After we ended the season 9-7 everyone went back to dick riding the Saints...then they won the Super Bowls year or two after. I can't wait until the Jets get good and our fan base grows over night. I'm going to call out every bandwagon fan in the world to the point where they cry lol

Funny how life is, but that was a big day for Leon Washington.  now, I see him a few times a year as his son plays football with my GFs son.  Leon became backs coach at Jacksonville but not sure where he stands now since the coaching changes,  he lives here in Charlotte NC. 

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Funny how life is, but that was a big day for Leon Washington.  now, I see him a few times a year as his son plays football with my GFs son.  Leon became backs coach at Jacksonville but not sure where he stands now since the coaching changes,  he lives here in Charlotte NC. 

Hey, that's pretty awesome tbh. I was broken  hearted when he broke his leg against the Raiders in 09'. Never was the same. He had a few good returns for Seattle afterwards but that's about it. Have you ever spoken to him?

As a long time Jet Fan it was hard for me to welcome Parcells because I thought He was overrated as the coach of the Giants(who I loathe almost as much as the Fish) and he was the "genius" who coached the Giants to 2 Super Bowl wins. Plus he was the coach of the friggin' Giants! Now this is just my opinion but it seems the real "genius" now coaches in New England.

Favre I was excited for because I thought he was the missing piece. If only he did not hurt his arm. What could have been? Anyway water under the bridge or whatever.

15 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Hey, that's pretty awesome tbh. I was broken  hearted when he broke his leg against the Raiders in 09'. Never was the same. He had a few good returns for Seattle afterwards but that's about it. Have you ever spoken to him?

Yes of course, I got him to sign a jersey and my GFs son stays at his house quite a bit.  I haven't seen him in months since he went t o Jacksonville. 

I will say this about that year, I went to two games. The home game against Arizona where him and Warner had an incredible shoot out. And the Titans game at Tennessee where we knocked them off their undefeated streak.

They were the most fun Jets games I've ever been to. Really thought it might be our year after that Titans game. Hard to remember because it's long enough gone, but the Jets were the talk of the league after that win.

BTW, that Arizona game was the one where the pyro spires tipped over and shot into the stands into some empty seats. Went right into our section. About 10 seats more to the right and I would be a blind man.  

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Things Jets fans love:

1. The Rex Ryan Era

2. Chad Pennington

3. The Herm Edwards Era

1. Bill Parcells

2. Mangini 

3. Favre

As crazy as it sounds, 2 and 3 together for 1 season came thatfvkcin'close to working out, spare Favre's shoulder (from jerking off?) and Kris Jenkins' knee both turn to jelly in a 1 week span. 

Favre was great for the Jets and his success should have given us the Westside stadium (Jets fans last hope) and a Lombardi

But woody had to keep shotty with his super trick plays, crazy talk that they hire Chucky or an experienced OC to help Favre take us to the promised land, instead we got to watch "mangenius"  making a first ballot HOF QB run laps...

Favre provided some great memories for 8-10 games but got hurt and unfortunately mangenius thought it was best to hide that fact from the world, then traitor mike stabbed Eric in the back and hired Rex but Eric got even by dropping Clevelands pants for the sure fire draft bust; Sanchez (One lucky year at USC did not earn him that chance)

Rex (and or Chucky)  and Favre would have won a Super Bowl 

The Jets have had 5 legitimate chances for the Super Bowl since Joe (sadly I remember watching each season/game)

1- 1986 Sack Exchange eliminated by the Browns in OT 

2 - 1998 Tuna, Cumar, Vinny with a HOF coaching staff eliminated by fumbles then Elway

3 - 2005 Herm Penny and a good defense eliminated by the bus and two missed field goals at Heinz field

4 - 2009 Favre coached poorly and got hurt (and perverted in his spare time) - best chance IMHO

5 - 2011 Hienz field - Sanchez strip sack fumble before the half, Rex D could not stop Big Ben in the end

25 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

The Jets have had 5 legitimate chances for the Super Bowl since Joe (sadly I remember watching each season/game)

1- 1986 Sack Exchange eliminated by the Browns in OT 

2 - 1998 Tuna, Cumar, Vinny with a HOF coaching staff eliminated by fumbles then Elway

3 - 2005 Herm Penny and a good defense eliminated by the bus and two missed field goals at Heinz field

4 - 2009 Favre coached poorly and got hurt (and perverted in his spare time) - best chance IMHO

5 - 2011 Hienz field - Sanchez strip sack fumble before the half, Rex D could not stop Big Ben in the end

Disagree.  I think EASILY our best chance was 1998.  We had a 10 point 2nd half lead in the AFC title game.  If we could've held on, we would've played the Falcons, who we beat handily in regular season.  I don't think we've really been very close any other year.  In 1986 we weren't beating the Giants (assuming we beat the Broncos to get there which I also don't feel confident we would've done).  In 2005 we had Herm and Penny (as in - that's a negative).  2009 Favre got hurt so the point is moot.  In 2011 were we really going to beat the Packers in the SB?

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I will say this about that year, I went to two games. The home game against Arizona where him and Warner had an incredible shoot out. And the Titans game at Tennessee where we knocked them off their undefeated streak.

They were the most fun Jets games I've ever been to. Really thought it might be our year after that Titans game. Hard to remember because it's long enough gone, but the Jets were the talk of the league after that win.

BTW, that Arizona game was the one where the pyro spires tipped over and shot into the stands into some empty seats. Went right into our section. About 10 seats more to the right and I would be a blind man.  

NAshville was rocking that Saturday night.  WAlking in and out of bars in a JETS jersey, the Jets chant being done in all bars, on the street etc.  What a blast.  I've got great pics from that weekend. 

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Disagree.  I think EASILY our best chance was 1998.  We had a 10 point 2nd half lead in the AFC title game.  If we could've held on, we would've played the Falcons, who we beat handily in regular season.  I don't think we've really been very close any other year.  In 1986 we weren't beating the Giants (assuming we beat the Broncos to get there which I also don't feel confident we would've done).  In 2005 we had Herm and Penny (as in - that's a negative).  2009 Favre got hurt so the point is moot.  In 2011 were we really going to beat the Packers in the SB?

That same exact year in the regular season we only lost 9 to 0 to them. It's a game we could of easily won and I know Rex and co. wanted that game back. I think there is just as much as chance we would of beat Green Bay as there was Green Bay would of beat us. Our defense shut Rodgers down. It's was our own Offense that never got going. The score was 6-0 all game. Literally ONE TD would of won us that game...Sanchez couldn't do it and they marched down the field for a third field goal to win 9-0..

Archived