Favre's Year as a Jet

TuscanyTile2

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Disagree.  I think EASILY our best chance was 1998.  We had a 10 point 2nd half lead in the AFC title game.  If we could've held on, we would've played the Falcons, who we beat handily in regular season.  I don't think we've really been very close any other year.  In 1986 we weren't beating the Giants (assuming we beat the Broncos to get there which I also don't feel confident we would've done).  In 2005 we had Herm and Penny (as in - that's a negative).  2009 Favre got hurt so the point is moot.  In 2011 were we really going to beat the Packers in the SB?

frankly the best chance was 1999 before vinnie and leon johnson went down.  that team had the fire in the players and the coaches.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

That same exact year in the regular season we only lost 9 to 0 to them. It's a game we could of easily won and I know Rex and co. wanted that game back. I think there is just as much as chance we would of beat Green Bay as there was Green Bay would of beat us. Our defense shut Rodgers down. It's was our own Offense that never got going. The score was 6-0 all game. Literally ONE TD would of won us that game...Sanchez couldn't do it and they marched down the field for a third field goal to win 9-0..

Green Bay shut us down that day but I think by the Super Bowl they were a different team (a lot better!)  It was Rodgers' ascendancy into greatness.  Not easy to stop. I believe there are times when it's a certain team's (sometimes player's) year.  That year belonged to Rodgers IMO. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

frankly the best chance was 1999 before vinnie and leon johnson went down.  that team had the fire in the players and the coaches.

I was at the game Vinny went down.  It was a beautiful day and there absolutely was a feeling of "this is our year".  Typical Jets though Vinny was out for the year. 

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was at the game Vinny went down.  It was a beautiful day and there absolutely was a feeling of "this is our year".  Typical Jets though Vinny was out for the year. 

I was there for that game too, could not believe it, was Tom Tupa the backuo  QB? - one of only 2-3 years when the media thought we had a chance

went to the Mets game afterward which was a good game but their season did not end well either

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I was there for that game too, could not believe it, was Tom Tupa the backuo  QB? - one of only 2-3 years when the media thought we had a chance

went to the Mets game afterward which was a good game but their season did not end well either

Yes he was.  He actually wasn't terrible either (I think he threw for at least 1 TD).  I remember the fans chanting "Tu-pa (clap clap)".  Btw, when our starting QB got hurt against the Pats, our season was effectively over.  When the Pats' starter (Bledsoe) got injured against us, they had the GOAT waiting in the wings.

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Disagree.  I think EASILY our best chance was 1998.  We had a 10 point 2nd half lead in the AFC title game.  If we could've held on, we would've played the Falcons, who we beat handily in regular season.  I don't think we've really been very close any other year.  In 1986 we weren't beating the Giants (assuming we beat the Broncos to get there which I also don't feel confident we would've done).  In 2005 we had Herm and Penny (as in - that's a negative).  2009 Favre got hurt so the point is moot.  In 2011 were we really going to beat the Packers in the SB?

We can agree to disagree, my point was Favre gave us one of the few real chances to make it to the dance and was mismanaged, based on that I do not think Favre was "bad" for the team, the Jets moved on from penny and were relevant

Maybe that's why people want to sign Romo but I don't think this team has the supporting cast to make the Jets relevant again this year but the off season starts soon

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yes he was.  He actually wasn't terrible either (I think he threw for at least 1 TD).  I remember the fans chanting "Tu-pa (clap clap)".  Btw, when our starting QB got hurt against the Pats, our season was effectively over.  When the Pats' starter (Bledsoe) got injured against us, they had the GOAT waiting in the wings.

LOL it does seem like that is part of being a Jets fan -  keep thinking it will make it sweeter when they win :)

18 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Regarding Tupa being the backup QB, I remember there being some weird rule where he was our only eligible backup QB until the 4th quarter.  Can't remember if someone else (Mirer?) came in for the 4th quarter. 

8 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

We can agree to disagree, my point was Favre gave us one of the few real chances to make it to the dance and was mismanaged, based on that I do not think Favre was "bad" for the team, the Jets moved on from penny and were relevant

Maybe that's why people want to sign Romo but I don't think this team has the supporting cast to make the Jets relevant again this year but the off season starts soon

We actually agree on this point.  That Jet team seemed strong enough overall (including coaching) to have a legit shot against anyone that year.  I still don't think it compared to 1998 but it certainly was up there in Jet history.

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Regarding Tupa being the backup QB, I remember there being some weird rule where he was our only eligible backup QB until the 4th quarter.  Can't remember if someone else (Mirer?) came in for the 4th quarter. 

If Parcells doesn't get rid of Foley for no real reason at all we make the AFCG that year

16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

https://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/26/vick-and-the-third-quarterback-rule/?_r=0

Notable usage of the rule In 1999, Jets Coach Bill Parcells was introduced to it in the season opener against New England. When Vinny Testaverde torn an Achilles’ tendon in the second quarter, Parcells was in a bind: his preferred choice to replace Testaverde was Rick Mirer, the team’s backup quarterback. But Parcells had designated Mirer as the third quarterback for the game, listing the punter/quarterback Tom Tupa as the backup instead. N.F.L. rules state:

If the third quarterback initially enters the game during the first three periods, the club’s other two quarterbacks become ineligible to participate and may not return at any time under any circumstances.

Because Parcells did not want to lose his punter, Tupa played quarterback for the rest of the first half and the third quarter before giving way to Mirer. Tupa, who threw 12 touchdown passes with 25 interceptions as a part-time quarterback in his N.F.L. career, actually threw a touchdown pass on his first play from scrimmage, but the Jets still lost, 30-28.

19 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Romo is a totally different story than Favre

First off Favre is one of the top 10 greatest quarterbacks ever.  Romo isn't even top 50.  We had a good roster in 2008 we just didn't have a qb.  Our roster is currently a dumpster fire Romo even if he stayed healthy wouldn't even get us a wildcard next season unless significant moves were made

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

https://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/26/vick-and-the-third-quarterback-rule/?_r=0

Notable usage of the rule In 1999, Jets Coach Bill Parcells was introduced to it in the season opener against New England. When Vinny Testaverde torn an Achilles’ tendon in the second quarter, Parcells was in a bind: his preferred choice to replace Testaverde was Rick Mirer, the team’s backup quarterback. But Parcells had designated Mirer as the third quarterback for the game, listing the punter/quarterback Tom Tupa as the backup instead. N.F.L. rules state:

If the third quarterback initially enters the game during the first three periods, the club’s other two quarterbacks become ineligible to participate and may not return at any time under any circumstances.

Because Parcells did not want to lose his punter, Tupa played quarterback for the rest of the first half and the third quarter before giving way to Mirer. Tupa, who threw 12 touchdown passes with 25 interceptions as a part-time quarterback in his N.F.L. career, actually threw a touchdown pass on his first play from scrimmage, but the Jets still lost, 30-28.

Crazy thing is Tupa was actually a better qb than mirer

I don't know how Mirer managed to stick around the nfl for 6 years the guy literally couldn't complete a pass to the left side of the field

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I will say this about that year, I went to two games. The home game against Arizona where him and Warner had an incredible shoot out. And the Titans game at Tennessee where we knocked them off their undefeated streak.

They were the most fun Jets games I've ever been to. Really thought it might be our year after that Titans game. Hard to remember because it's long enough gone, but the Jets were the talk of the league after that win.

BTW, that Arizona game was the one where the pyro spires tipped over and shot into the stands into some empty seats. Went right into our section. About 10 seats more to the right and I would be a blind man.  

considering the end of that year and the next almost 10 years, you would have lucked out not to be able to watch this team anymore. 

he sabotaged our 2008 season but he sure made losing fun.  People don‘t understand that he never wanted to be here and never gave full effort.  Heading into week instead of preparing to play NE he was busy talking w/ friends in Detroit to help them prepare for GB b/c his goal was to stick it to GB.  He wanted Minnesota, he used us for a year(and we used him).  he supposedly got hurt in October, had his only good stretch of football in November then tanked it after Thanksgiving.  He cost is a rare division title and a legit SB shot in a down year for the league w/ no Brady around and an incredibly easy schedule.  It boggles my mind how Jet fans can have positive feelings about him and negative feelings about Vinny, Chad and Sanchez.

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was reading another thread where Favre was brought up.  Seems like (I think) there were a lot of negative opinions about him.  Personally I liked Favre.  I think if he didn't get hurt we would've been a solid playoff team.  Do most people look back negatively on Favre's (short) tenure here?  I thought he did well and I wonder if people dislike Favre for other reasons (his constant flip-flopping on coming back and his freewheeling style that led to interceptions).

The f*ck.  Is this "reminisce about sh*tty seasons" time on JetNation?  Every other thread on this board these days is about looking back on the bad times in an almost wistful fashion.

Yes, the first 11 games of that season were awesome and the final 5 were terrible.  Favre was great until he got hurt.  The ending to the season was terrible.  It is what it was. 

The Jets suck.  Our history sucks.  Reliving it sucks.

The Jets had beat NE and then kicked the sh*t out of the undefeated darlings of the league Tennessee and were being thought of as the best team in the league, then Favre of course got hurt, Mangini didn;t know how to handle that and worse yet, the part that was almost as responsible for the collapse as the Qb injury and poor play was that Mangini and Sutton totally coach choked, they went with a passive 3 man rush so often it made my eyes bleed.  They were playing a preent defense the last 5 games.

If the Jets had been able to bring Favre back for the Rex years in my mind we have a really good shot at a superbowl win.  The 1st two years of REx the team needed a vet QB to go with an established vet team strong in a number of areas.  Not a greehorn rookie.

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets had beat NE and then kicked the sh*t out of the undefeated darlings of the league Tennessee and were being thought of as the best team in the league, then Favre of course got hurt, Mangini didn;t know how to handle that and worse yet, the part that was almost as responsible for the collapse as the Qb injury and poor play was that Mangini and Sutton totally coach choked, they went with a passive 3 man rush so often it made my eyes bleed.  They were playing a preent defense the last 5 games.

If the Jets had been able to bring Favre back for the Rex years in my mind we have a really good shot at a superbowl win.  The 1st two years of REx the team needed a vet QB to go with an established vet team strong in a number of areas.  Not a greehorn rookie.

Favre got hurt in October, had his only good stretch of football in early November.  our season didn't change oin Favre's health, that was the excuse.

Favre had more talent in GB and Minnesota w/ no Brady around to block him and he didn't make a SB late in his career, how would he have done so w/ us?  I bet we don't even reach a title game if Favre stays(the 2008 version).

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

i think they only had a chance if favre didn't get injured.  schitty had a lot to do with the jets not making the playoffs because he just couldn't adapt.  as for the comments that favre thought more about his playing streak, just who decides they will play?  the coach or the player.  if favre was in a game it's because mangini wanted him.  i also think, in hindsight, that launching mangini was a mistake.  he was in the middle of building a team.

18 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i think they only had a chance if favre didn't get injured.  schitty had a lot to do with the jets not making the playoffs because he just couldn't adapt.  as for the comments that favre thought more about his playing streak, just who decides they will play?  the coach or the player.  if favre was in a game it's because mangini wanted him.  i also think, in hindsight, that launching mangini was a mistake.  he was in the middle of building a team.

who were we going to play? Kellen Clemens?  Favre at 80-90% is better than Clemens at 100%

15 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

IMHO he should had quit while he was ahead. As well as really he did put the streak ahead of the team.

Just like Cumar put going for a 1,000 yd season ahead of the team and playing when he couldn't even practice.. At least Farve never called the Jets a bottom of the barrel team like Martin did.. http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/07/curtis_martin_never_liked_foot.html

38 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Just like Cumar put going for a 1,000 yd season ahead of the team and playing when he couldn't even practice.. At least Farve never called the Jets a bottom of the barrel team like Martin did.. http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/07/curtis_martin_never_liked_foot.html

1. Cumar is fully protected as truth is the absolut defense against libel.

2. Favre said MORE in his body language that he hated being in NY. He didnt need words.

43 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

the Jets were a bottom of the barrel team when Curtis entered the league, Curtis helped us win a lot of games.  you are really putting Favre ahead of a rent a player that never wanted to be here?

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the Jets were a bottom of the barrel team when Curtis entered the league, Curtis helped us win a lot of games.  you are really putting Favre ahead of a rent a player that never wanted to be here?

Curtis Martin was one of the greatest Jets ever.  Farve was a rent-a-player, which may have worked if he didn't injure his shoulder.  I always was upset that the Jets allowed Pennington to sign with Miami.

47 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Curtis Martin was one of the greatest Jets ever.  Farve was a rent-a-player, which may have worked if he didn't injure his shoulder.  I always was upset that the Jets allowed Pennington to sign with Miami.

We weren't winning anything with Pennington either

30 minutes ago, thadude said:

We weren't winning anything with Pennington either

Miami went from 1 win to 11 and a div title w/ half the talent around him that we had.  assuming Chad stayed healthy(which I know is risky) we easily win the division in 2008.

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

he sabotaged our 2008 season but he sure made losing fun.  People don‘t understand that he never wanted to be here and never gave full effort.  Heading into week instead of preparing to play NE he was busy talking w/ friends in Detroit to help them prepare for GB b/c his goal was to stick it to GB.  He wanted Minnesota, he used us for a year(and we used him).  he supposedly got hurt in October, had his only good stretch of football in November then tanked it after Thanksgiving.  He cost is a rare division title and a legit SB shot in a down year for the league w/ no Brady around and an incredibly easy schedule.  It boggles my mind how Jet fans can have positive feelings about him and negative feelings about Vinny, Chad and Sanchez.

Co-sign all of this 

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The only reason Martin came to the Jets was for his Tuna Daddy and had his contract not been redone he would have went to the Cowboys when the Tuna coached there.. BTW if being a winning team meant anything to him he would have never went to the Jets in 1998 because the Pats were a playoff team..

6 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The only reason Martin came to the Jets was for his Tuna Daddy and had his contract not been redone he would have went to the Cowboys when the Tuna coached there.. BTW if being a winning team meant anything to him he would have never went to the Jets in 1998 because the Pats were a playoff team..

most players choose teams based on money and relationships, it's not like they are Jet fans that badly want to play for us.  well NE was going down and we were going up, he made a title game year 1 w/ us w/ NE was bounced in WC rd.  Most players choose money first anyway.

If Favre stayed for the Rex Ryan 1st year or maybe even the 2nd year we probably have the best chance we could to win a Super Bowl with the Defense. 

in 2009 we would not have drafted Sanchez and based on Favre's play after he left .... man what could have been. Yeah I know most people seem to not like him but that was the best QB play we had in a while before arm injury, and when he was healthy the next season he played at a level we haven't had in a long time 

Archived