Bowles Interviews OC Candidate, Addresses Gailey Retirement

JetNation

16 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

He was the Fitz whisperer.

1) Gailey was hired well before they acquired Fitz

2) Jets said he retired just like the Giants said Coughlin retired when everyone knows they both were let go..Both organizations just wanted to show some respect for long-time NFL coaches..Arians supposedly "retired" from Steelers too.

3) Can we all move on now.

After the 2011 season, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin had promised Arians that he would ask the front office to give Arians a raise as a reward for Arians' five seasons as the Steelers offensive coordinator. During his five years, the team finished 17th (2007), 22nd, 7th, 14th and 12th in total offense.

"[Tomlin] said, 'I can't get you the money,'" Arians said.

As it turned out, not getting a raise wasn't even the worst part.

"I said, 'OK.' He said, 'No, I can't get you a contract.' I said, 'Are you firing me?' He said, 'No,'" Arians said. "Well, it's just a matter of words, Mike, OK. If I don't have a contract, I'm fired.'"

So what happened next?

"[Tomlin] said, 'I'm going to fly down and talk.' And I said, 'Why waste the money and the time?' And so that was it," Arians said. "Walked upstairs and told my wife. And I've never seen her cry. And she cried."

Although the Steelers never officially fired Arians, the team did release a short statement in January 2012 saying that Arians had "decided" to retire.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cardinals-coach-bruce-arians-i-was-pissed-when-the-steelers-fired-me/

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jack48 said:

might bave been nobody else good available

Sorry but I dont buy that.  Chan Gailey was a 63rd old man out of the league for years when Bowles hired him.  

Kyle Shannahan was available right off the top of my head.

27 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

He was the Fitz whisperer.

Apparently he needed to yell. 

Bowles wanted Gailey and went out of his way to get Gailey.  Gailey essentially told him he was here for the short term because he and his wife probably liked the retirement.  If the Jets offense and the QB had done well this year he could very well have decided to stay on.  There is no way he wanted to take on the projects of petty and hack.

In any case, he was the best coach on the staff.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Bowles wanted Gailey and went out of his way to get Gailey.  Gailey essentially told him he was here for the short term because he and his wife probably liked the retirement.  If the Jets offense and the QB had done well this year he could very well have decided to stay on.  There is no way he wanted to take on the projects of petty and hack.

In any case, the was the best coach on the staff.

Unless as was mentioned before, Gailey thought Patullo would take the reigns.

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Or was given a hopeless task.

Could be.  Still hard to believe Hack was drafted at all when you see how he played during the PS....39% comp pct against 4th/5th string guys.  Scary bad.

Archived