How about this approach for Jet QB

TuscanyTile2

I think I've mentioned this before but repeating here...

How about the Jets trade their 1st rounder (#6 overall) to the Rams for Jared Goff.  Basically the Rams would be taking a mulligan and the Jets would be hoping Goff just needed time to develop (remember it took Eli like 4 years to be any good).  If Goff is good then we're set.  If he stinks, we can probably pick Darnold next year.

Assuming the Rams would accept (I have no idea if they would but it sounds "in the ballpark" at least), would you make this trade?

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think I've mentioned this before but repeating here...

How about the Jets trade their 1st rounder (#6 overall) to the Rams for Jared Goff.  Basically the Rams would be taking a mulligan and the Jets would be hoping Goff just needed time to develop (remember it took Eli like 4 years to be any good).  If Goff is good then we're set.  If he stinks, we can probably pick Darnold next year.

Assuming the Rams would accept (I have no idea if they would but it sounds "in the ballpark" at least), would you make this trade?

Last year, I would have said Yes, but he looked horrible last year to me.  It's not really the adjustment that I'm worried about, he seemed to lack deep ball passing ability, which really concerns me because he seemed to do OK with it in college.  When I was looking at his college tape last year, one thing I liked was his ability to put touch on the ball for deep passes (something I felt guys like Lynch or Geno lacked when they came out) but unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have the pure arm strength needed to do so.  

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ok i'll play why the hell not we have nothing to lose and everything to gain we need a franchise QB...........nothing else matters.

Image result for jared goff

Geez does he look like Chad in that pic.  I would have football nightmares. I might have to change my mind on my own trade idea. 

7 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Last year, I would have said Yes, but he looked horrible last year to me.  It's not really the adjustment that I'm worried about, he seemed to lack deep ball passing ability, which really concerns me because he seemed to do OK with it in college.  When I was looking at his college tape last year, one thing I liked was his ability to put touch on the ball for deep passes (something I felt guys like Lynch or Geno lacked when they came out) but unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have the pure arm strength needed to do so.  

The only way we'd have a shot at him was if he looked terrible last year.  No way the Rams would consider trading him if he showed great promise.  Basically we'd be hoping that we were "buying low" and that he would eventually match the expectations that the Rams had for him going into last year.

32 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Geez does he look like Chad in that pic.  I would have football nightmares. I might have to change my mind on my own trade idea. 

Nah, he's Ryan Gosling's athletic clone.

And no, we shouldn't trade for Goff, nor would the Rams trade him.

40 minutes ago, capoliver said:

I would not be up for that at all.  Petty looked much better than Goff. Im ready to sink or swim with Petty next yr.  If he can stay healthy I think he could  be a star QB in this league 

Petty still can't read defenses. He's had 2 years to study and the word is still clueless.

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Petty still can't read defenses. He's had 2 years to study and the word is still clueless.

Talk to @win4ever about that. Petty looked like he progressed a great deal in reading defenses. I don't understand where you guys get this from.....I'm tired of hearing it. He clearly knew where to go with the ball 90% of the time. If you seen the breakdowns than you would know this.

40 minutes ago, Dcat said:

That statement is simply not true. He was going through his progressions OK. He just was playing behind a horrific line, with players that had with players that had quit, and he was essentially learning on the fly. I was somewhat impressed by him actually. He threw a lot of nice balls. I do not want a veteran. Start Petty or Hack. Only way we get good is to DEVELOP a franchise QB

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Why?!

I watched a lot of Murray in college, and I like what he brought to the table as far as skill set goes. He obviously isn't a world beater but he operated the pro style offense nicely. They had success with him. I haven't seen much of him since being drafted though...I don't even know if he's seen the field since.

21 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I watched a lot of Murray in college, and I like what he brought to the table as far as skill set goes. He obviously isn't a world beater but he operated the pro style offense nicely. They had success with him. I haven't seen much of him since being drafted though...I don't even know if he's seen the field since.

Hasn't played a snap of NFL football. Has bounced between three teams. Can't even get a practice squad gig. Not sure the purpose he serves. 

32 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Hasn't played a snap of NFL football. Has bounced between three teams. Can't even get a practice squad gig. Not sure the purpose he serves. 

Hmm.. probably just doing they're due diligence then. Ultimately I would like to see Hack and Petty battle it out for #1 and #2...we need to find out more before drafting another QB.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Well Charlie we've seen Petty,Hack is a mystery and we need a QB. 

I hear that but why bring in a guy who is at best only marginally better than the guys you drafted and supposedly are grooming on your own team?

There is a reason why this guy has been on 3 teams in the three years he has been in the league and don't I think he has looked like Aaron Rogers :) 

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

I hear that but why bring in a guy who is at best only marginally better than the guys you drafted and supposedly are grooming on your own team?

There is a reason why this guy has been on 3 teams in the three years he has been in the league and don't think he has looked like Aaron Rogers :) 

Agree but no stone should go unturned until we find a decent QB until then nothing else matters.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im a big Bryce Petty supporter but I just don't know. 

All I'm saying is the progression was really there from year one to year two. Give him a Chance to show you progression from year 2 to year 3 now with some starting experience and another offseason of work. Guys are giving up on these two too soon imo. 

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

All I'm saying is the progression was really there from year one to year two. Give him a Chance to show you progression from year 2 to year 3 now with some starting experience and another offseason of work. Guys are giving up on these two too soon imo. 

I don't know Petty and Hackenberg I really want to win. 

No fault at seeing who/what's out there. Though I doubt we'll be getting our FQB through FA, it can't hurt.
Sheesh, people
As for the OP, it's an interesting proposal; however, Goff looks a little shell shocked to me. I dunno, just never looked composed. I'd pass, if I were the Jets, and roll with Petty, Hack and (insert competition).

8 minutes ago, the Claw said:

No fault at seeing who/what's out there. Though I doubt we'll be getting our FQB through FA, it can't hurt.
Sheesh, people
As for the OP, it's an interesting proposal; however, Goff looks a little shell shocked to me. I dunno, just never looked composed. I'd pass, if I were the Jets, and roll with Petty, Hack and (insert competition).

Our #6 overall pick for Goff is interesting? ... did you not see Goff this year?

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/01/jets_offensive_coordinator_candidate_eric_studesvi.html

"There are rumblings that Chiefs co-offensive coordinator Matt Nagy, who worked with Bowles on Andy Reid's staff in Philly, is on the Jets radar."

He may be...but there are so many things that go into that for us to hire him. First of all they have to allow him to interview. Are they letting the other co-OC go?not a good sign if so..Haven't heard a peep about him. Just the 2 other guys. He's #1 on my OC list though..

Archived