Newsday: Jets’ new DBs coach Dennard Wilson believes Darrelle Revis can pull safety switch

C Mart

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

considering they can't cut him this year without massive dead money, might as well move him to safety. 

considering he is the one who set the example of jogging around and collecting $1,000,000 per game, I would cut him even if it meant I could only afford to carry 44 players

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/new-york-jets-darrelle-revis-safety-2017-salary-decision-012617%3Famp%3Dtrue?client=safari

There comes a time in a player’s career where he may not be what he once was. We saw Peyton Manning regress dramatically in his final season, and now the same issue is staring the New York Jets in the face – only, their player in question isn’t a quarterback. He’s a cornerback, one who’s the second-highest paid in the NFL.

Darrelle Revis saw himself take a gigantic step backwards in 2016 after playing solid football in 2015. We’re not talking a stumble, either. This was a leap in the wrong direction, so much so that he wasn’t even the best corner on his team … or the second-best, for that matter. His decline was sudden and sharp and evident in Week 1 when A.J. Green torched him regularly.

Then in Week 2, Marquise Goodwin of the Bills ran right by him for an 84-yard score, making Revis look like a backup instead of a former All-Pro.

His struggles continued against just about every receiver he faced, and it became difficult to watch. Once a true shutdown corner who earned the nickname Revis Island turned into an easy target for guys like Case Keenum and Kenny Britt.

So where exactly does that leave the Jets for next season? In an incredibly difficult spot where they have a huge decision to make regarding one of the best players in the franchise’s history. Realistically, the Jets have three options: keep him at cornerback, move him to safety or cut him.

The first isn’t exactly feasible after seeing him struggle mightily in coverage last season. The second is risky, considering he’s never played safety. And the third would force the Jets to pay him $6 million to play elsewhere. If we’re to dig into the Jets’ recent comments, it sounds like a move to free safety is the likeliest option for New York. .. It’s also the wrong one.

Todd Bowles had a conversation with Revis about the possible switch, and said the two would talk about it more down the line. but as of now, Bowles said “it’s impossible to know” if Revis can actually play safety.

If that’s the case, why on earth would the Jets move him to a position he’s never played before? Let’s consider the pros and cons of Revis playing safety.

For one, it would prevent him from being exposed athletically by faster receivers on the outside. Revis simply doesn’t have the speed he once had, and his quickness has deteriorated dramatically. Additionally, it would allow him to use his football intelligence more often, diagnosing plays on the backend and using his eyes, not necessarily his athleticism, to find the ball.

Now come the downsides, and there are plenty of them.

Revis isn’t exactly a willing tackler. He’s no Richard Sherman or Aqib Talib. He never had to be, mainly because he made his money covering receivers, and doing a terrific job of it. The main job of a safety is to be the last line of defense, not only preventing plays over the top, but stopping ball carriers rumbling down the field. Do you really want a 31-year-old first-year safety who doesn’t excel at bringing receivers down being your last hope on defense? Me either.

The biggest issue with moving Revis to safety is his contract. His cap hit of $15.3 million next season is the second-highest among cornerbacks. For a safety, that would be the highest, and by a wide margin. Jairus Byrd is currently No. 1 in that regard at $11.7 million, $3.6 million less than Revis.

If you’re going to pay a safety $15 million, he should be an Earl Thomas or an Eric Berry-type player. Heck, Revis’ cap hit would be more than double Harrison Smith’s, who’s arguably a top-three safety in the league.

It’d be one thing if Revis had the speed, length and range of Devin McCourty, who switched from cornerback to safety early in his career, but he doesn’t. He doesn’t have the size or physicality to match up with tight ends, and he’s likely not fast enough to go from the middle of the field to the sideline to cover a 9 route.

The Jets are in a difficult spot regarding Revis, but moving him to safety should be a last resort – especially at $15.3 million. If he agrees to take a pay cut – which, knowing Revis’ past history with money, probably won’t happen – fine, give it a shot. But should the league’s highest-paid safety be a guy who has never played the position? That’s a question the Jets will have to answer.

Nice thing to say and nice to hear the new coach is excited but I think Hooker and Peppers could be better 

On the flip side, I really do not want to see one of the best players ever drafted by the Jets be traded, cut, ignored so he signs and wins a Super Bowl with a rival, the re-signs with the Jets, only to get cut again...

How many HOF players were Traded and Cut by the Jets?  

3 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Nice thing to say and nice to hear the new coach is excited but I think Hooker and Peppers could be better 

On the flip side, I really do not want to see one of the best players ever drafted by the Jets be traded, cut, ignored so he signs and wins a Super Bowl with a rival, the re-signs with the Jets, only to get cut again...

How many HOF players were Traded and Cut by the Jets?  

best thing that could happen to the jets is somebody gets the "coasting to retirement and collecting checks" version of revis, I hope they get to play him twice a year

jets moved om from namath

cowboys moved on from emmitt

9ers moved on from montana and rice

ravens moved on from ed reed

The above article describes the dilemma very well. Yet, cutting Revis is improving the back end by subtraction. I say enjoy your six million and what ever he can sucker from another team. With his play last season I don't want him near any of the younger guys with him teaching the lesson, see you can steal your money and still help your team suck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, Larz said:

exactly

for what safeties make, and have to do, putting the $16,000,000 man back there would be a colossal blunder

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA but one this fool of a HC will make, bank on it. 

On January 25, 2017 at 8:07 PM, C Mart said:

Updated January 25, 2017 7:53 PM
By Kimberley A. Martin   kimberley.martin@newsday.com

MOBILE, Ala. — It remains to be seen if Darrelle Revis will be on the Jets’ roster in 2017, but if he is, the team’s new defensive backs coach believes Revis has the skill set to transition to safety if need be.

“You have to be able to see the whole field,” Dennard Wilson said at the Senior Bowl on Wednesday, adding that the most challenging facet of the position switch is adjusting to “angles tackling” and “the physicality” of the safety position. “But Darrelle is a guy that has a lot of football intelligence. He’s always had that, so I wouldn’t think it would be a problem for him to pick it up.”

Wilson should know. The former Rams defensive backs coach, who briefly played for the Redskins after going undrafted in 2004, said he played cornerback before switching to safety. 

Whether Revis stays a Jet remains to be seen, but Wilson had high praise for him, despite Revis’ declining play this season. “I think Darrelle is a hell of a player,” Wilson said of the cornerback, who had one interception and five passes defensed in 15 games. The Jets could choose to cut Revis before the second day of the new league year March 10 in an effort to save $9 million in salary-cap space. 

“He has always been a hell of a player. But in terms of Darrelle being there or not being there, that’s not on me. I don’t have anything to do with it. If he’s in the building, I’m going to coach the hell out of him and hopefully we get the results we both want.”

Wilson, 34, spent “two or three days” at the Jets’ facility in Florham Park before he and other members of the coaching staff traveled to the Senior Bowl. As a result, he has yet to watch game tape of the Jets’ 2016 season. But his plan is to watch all of their games when he returns to New Jersey in order to see “what guys can do and what they can’t do.”

So far, though, he likes what he sees from coach Todd Bowles and the team.

“I love his approach on defense,” Wilson said. “From afar, I’ve always respected the work he’s done. The Jets have always had a great organization, it’s on the East Coast, closer to back home [Marlboro, Maryland], and I thought they were building something great there, so I’m able to come and be a part of it.”

The Jets went 5-11 and struggled mightily on defense, particularly their secondary. They finished 17th in pass defense, allowing 243.6 yards a game. The Rams were 10th (233.2 yards).

But Wilson believes the Jets have all the pieces to be successful. 

“This defense plays reckless, they play tough, they’re physical and they stop the run,” he said. “If you can do that, and you can clean up the back end, and the ball doesn’t travel over your head, you have a great opportunity to be one of the top 10 defenses in the league. 

“It’s my job to come in and make sure the ball doesn’t travel over our heads, get the guys dialed in, have a cohesive unit and everything else will fall into place . . . As a coach, your resume is the way your players play and I feel like our [Rams] guys last year, they did a pretty good job.”

Who da fook is that guy!

On 1/25/2017 at 9:15 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Hes not playing safety.  He wont stick his head in there anymore.  Only an idiot like todd bowles would put him at safety.

oh wait......Damn it!!!!!!

Bowles clearly said it's not an easy transition that not every corner can make.

Idiot fans keep missing that Bowles said this.  

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Bowles clearly said it's not an easy transition that not every corner can make.

Idiot fans keep missing that Bowles said this.  

He's be perfect.  He wouldn't have to back up 10 yards as the play starts.....  he would already be in the position he is used to the last 2 years or so. Way off the ball.

Revis is toast......  we can banter all we want but these young 22-25 year olds make him look like a statue in the open field now.

On 1/25/2017 at 8:41 PM, joewilly12 said:

Considering we need another Safety to play next to Pryor I say if our new DB coach says he can do the job lets consider it he's 1 of the best Jets defensive players in history. 

STOP THE HATE. 

imo revis doesn't deserve any favors from the jets.  we all know how great he was 5 or so seasons ago but this is now and based on his play from last season they need to take a good hard look before committing to him.  if i were the jets i'd be taking the "we're from missouri, show us" tack.  now to be hopeful, if revis does make that committment to his conditioning and to learning the position then how can this be bad except for the fact he would be grossly overpaid? since the jets are on the hook for 6 million regardless, why can't they keep him, see what he brings through the training camps and then make their assessment?

and, regardless of what revis does from here on out, he does belong in the jet ring of honor, especially if he makes the hof.

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Doubt they'd guarantee 2 years, but I could see them guaranteeing a few million of it. Just enough to give the Jets second thoughts as to cutting him outright (which is what's occurring right now).

I know.  I was using hyperbole to make the point.  Because yeah, I could see them guaranteeing some money into a second year.

I am sure I am not the only one who has noticed that this talk about keeping Revis gives his position leverage in any renegotiation.  At least somewhat more leverage than otherwise.

If you go by performance of 2016, I would let him go. This game is performance based. He played soft, got burnt, lost speed, didn't want to tackle people. If the Jets want to spend 16 or 17 million so they could "show him some class" they are total and complete idiots. Revis was an island and great, but maybe it's time to retire "with some class".

Fire Wilson immediately. It's time to accept the fact that Revis is useless no matter where he is on the field. Switching to safety won't help. He was effective as a bump and run corner. When he stopped doing that, he sucked. 

Retaining a $17 million-per-year, useless, over the hill CB-turned-safety is a collossal waste of cap space and a roster spot. Let him go to Canton and retire with dignity already.

1 minute ago, Freemanm said:

Fire Wilson immediately. It's time to accept the fact that Revis is useless no matter where he is on the field. Switching to safety won't help. He was effective as a bump and run corner. When he stopped doing that, he sucked. 

Retaining a $17 million-per-year, useless, over the hill CB-turned-safety is a collossal waste of cap space and a roster spot. Let him go to Canton and retire with dignity

Until a final decision is executed on Revis, what is the sense of his position coach kicking dirt on him ?

Archived