Jets Work out Quarterback Aaron Murray, two Others

JetNation

1 hour ago, nyjbuddy said:

Kyle Prater - Draft scouting report

Strengths

Size, size, size. If there's one attribute that is valued by NFL scouts simply off the eye test, it's size, and Prater has a lot of that. There aren't many 6'5" receivers out there, which makes him a difficult matchup for smaller defensive backs. There's a reason he was so highly sought after high school and why he showed the flashes he did with Northwestern.

Weaknesses

Getting the ball in Prater's area isn't the problem; the problem is whether he'll catch it or not and whether the defender gets there before him. He had his fair share of drops at NU but his most glaring deficiency is lack of foot speed and agility, which feeds into poor route-running. A 40-time of 4.75 is not promising at all, even for a possession receiver such as Prater. In the NFL, even the big receivers can move quickly, and Prater is just not at that point yet.

Overview

One of the most-used clichés in sports is that you can't teach size, which, even with its overuse, is inherently true. That's why Prater will likely find himself on an NFL's team roster this summer for a training camp and maybe even into the fall. The fact is that he's just not athletic enough, at least right now, to compete in an incredibly physical league in which even the bigger receivers, and defensive backs, can run sub-4.40 40-yard dashes. In high school and college, extreme size can trump deficient speed but it can't in the NFL, which is why it would be a surprise if Prater is selected in this year's draft.
His best chance to make a name for himself in the league though would be as a tight end/slot receiver hybrid. In fact, multiple NFL teams have told Prater that that is where they see him. If he could put on some weight to help handle the blocking duties of the position, he'd be a tough matchup for NFL linebackers over the middle of the field.

Not the ideal top line for a WR"s resume', huh?

Yes.  For his freshman year Murray threw to AJ Green.
Murray had some NFL talent surrounding him while he was there, Malcom Mitchell, Isiah Crowell, Todd Gurley etc.  but he was the leader of those teams. 

Not to be a downer, but Murray has looked like total trash in preseason action. Last year when he was fighting off a couple JAGS, he was awful.

He's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Not to be a downer, but Murray has looked like total trash in preseason action. Last year when he was fighting off a couple JAGS, he was awful.

He's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not being a downer, that's being realistic.  We are like a hobo down by the Holland Tunnel turning over the trash-heap looking for a half-eaten sandwich nobody else has found.  I feel the gap closing...

4 hours ago, ManCave Analyst said:

I grew up in NJ , now I live in ATlL and watched all of  his games at UGA . He was labeled a Sure 1st round talent , and deservedly so, until his last game when he suffered a torn ACL.  If my memory is correct, he even came in form a series or two, because his Team needed him, after suffering the injury. All the press written about him was he was a good teammate and a Very Coachable talent.  He is the opposite of Geno "the Bumm" Smith.  So please do not mention him again ever on any future posts again.

He had an average arm with very good accuracy on passes of 50 yards or less. He had no trouble throwing the out route. Similar to Chad Pennington , but with a better arm and quicker release. Getting drafted by and Playing for the overrated Andy Reid  hasn't helped his development.  Now that he is healthy it is time to sure what he's got.  This young is the "Steal of Free Agency" if he goes to the right team with Good Coaching and a good/not great team around him.  If MAC oo anybody on his staff reads of of these posts , do your home all look at his college and preseason tape. It will confirm this. If we miss this opportunity and don't sign him, they should Fire this Whole Staff,. Because  all they are is arrogant  Impersonators. They break our hearts after every loss , with excuse after excuse.  So don't let him leave without a 3 - 4 year contract and just Do your Dam Job or step aside for someone more competent to lead this Team. Enough is Enough ,  "Sign Aaron  Murray"  NOW  !!!

Jesus Christ.

And I thought I was a little homo for defending Hackenberg.

59 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Johnny Manziel says he's achieved sobriety without professional assistance & is determined to resume his NFL career.

C2oytcsXAAAmtTA.jpg

This is about as full proof as how you've achieved journalist of the year. ?

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Johnny Manziel says he's achieved sobriety without professional assistance & is determined to resume his NFL career.

C2oytcsXAAAmtTA.jpg

Nothing like taking a drunken - junkies word as truth

19 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Aaron Murray - Draft Profile 

STRENGTHS

Has a quick release and is light enough on his feet to escape the first wave and make some plays on the move. Solid decision-maker -- takes what the defense gives him. Fine short-to-intermediate accuracy. Good intangibles. Encouraging team leader with a likeable personality. Leads by example. Serves well as the face of the program. Outstanding work ethic. Is very intelligent and football smart. Experienced, four-year starter in the SEC.

WEAKNESSES

Short and short-armed with a low release point that leads to batted balls. Very small-framed with a thin waist and a body that is not built to withstand the punishment that comes in the pocket. Average arm talent. Has to set his feet and everything needs to be perfect to function well. Could stand to improve his footwork. Marginal deep-ball accuracy -- tends to overstride and forces receivers to adjust. Many passes are pre-determined and often throws to spots. Loses poise under duress and can be rattled easily by pressure. Gets too jittery and anxious (overanalyzes) in big games and has a very low winning percentage vs. top-10 teams. Long-term durability is concerning.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 5-6

BOTTOM LINE

Diminutive, game-managing pocket passer still recovering from a torn ACL. Would benefit from a moving pocket that can create open throwing lanes, yet does not have the foot quickness desired for a rollout passing game. Possesses a skill set most ideally suited for a backup or No. 3 role. Intelligence, intangibles and experience are all pluses.

-Nolan Nawrocki

i guess we can assume this information is from 4 years ago.  maybe he's a late bloomer.  the jets should take a look. 

Archived