" O " dept. - a new direction.. again ~ ~ ~

kelly

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

But then here is the question. If they quit in the 2nd Pats game, why didn't they quit in the first Pats game?

I think that game was just the Jets being outmanned and outgunned.

See, if a team quits, you should see it EVERY WEEK continuously. We didn't see that. You saw periods of supposed quitting

I don't know what team you were watching but this team was inept in all three phases of the game.   And frankly, they were outcoached, outplayed maining because they went through the motions.  

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think some players quit on the coach. I don't think that the whole team quit. It doesn't logically fit the results. 
Not a matter of koolaid, its a matter of logic based on the results of what happened. If they quit the second Dolphins game and the second Patriots game, why didn't they quit against the Bills?

because the bills packed it in period. 

15 hours ago, Bugg said:

The defense may well have sucked donkey balls. No argument they underperformed, And how about the greatest DL ever, the new rookie LB who covers TEs and backs like a blanket and the $13 million corner? But they were on the field all day because the offense was either going 3 and out or turning the ball over at the first opportunity. The fallacy is thinking scoring 13 points a week is gonna win NFL games. But the owner and the latest "we're #2 against the run!" defense first HC believe such horsesheet, so what do I know. PICK A SAFETY. OR A DL GUY. OR A LINEBACKER. OR A CORNER. AGAIN. And get back to me. 

I really think they were on the field all day because they sucked.  They gave up drives, they gave up big plays they got no pressure, they got no turnovers.  The D sucked and sucked hard on their own, the offense was not good angle is mostly baloney for a lot of teams that have good defenses.

Time for Jets to scratch their seven-year offensive itch in draft

The NFL draft still is three months away, but it's never too soon to look into the crystal ball. Our question of the week focuses on the New York Jets and the offense-defense issue.

@RichCimini : It's hard to believe, Mike, but the Jets haven't picked an offensive player since 2009, when the choice was Mark Sanchez. Since then, they've selected four defensive linemen, one linebacker and three defensive backs in the first round. Enough already.Get a load of this factoid: The last offensive skill player drafted by the Jets to make the Pro Bowl in a Jets uniform was wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson -- all the way back in 1999. Does that blow your mind or what?

Looking at the current roster, there are a few glaring needs on offense -- quarterback, left tackle, center and tight end -- but it wouldn't surprise me if they go defense ... again. Here's why :The draft is top-heavy with defensive players. Looking at the Scouts Inc. draft rankings, nine of the top 12 prospects play defense. The exceptions are running backs Leonard Fournette and Dalvin Cook and wide receiver Mike Williams.

General manager Mike Maccagnan subscribes to the "best player available" philosophy. Unless he deviates from that, the numbers say there's a good chance he'll pick a defensive player with the sixth overall choice. There are two variables: The quarterback situation and the Fournette/Cook factor.Fournette and Cook are rated by draft experts as top-10 prospects, but some GMs don't like picking running backs in the first round -- let alone near the top -- because the value of the position has diminished in recent years. On the other hand, there's Ezekiel Elliott, who was well worth the fourth pick last year by the Cowboys.

Based on his first two offseasons, Maccagnan doesn't seem like the type to invest a high pick in a running back. He has used free agency to re-stock the position, re-signing Bilal Powell and adding Matt Forte.The sexy storyline, of course, involves the quarterbacks. The Jets desperately need a starter, but I don't see Maccagnan using the sixth pick on a quarterback, not after drafting Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty the last two years. Maybe, if Mitch Trubisky slips to six or if he falls head over heels in love with Deshaun Watson, he'd take the quarterback plunge. But, again, I'd be surprised.

Williams is a terrific talent and, while the Jets have some young receiving talent, it would be hard to discount a playmaker of his caliber. Hey, when you're 5-11, you just need to take the best player. Chances are, it'll be a defensive pick for the eighth straight year.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66573/time-for-jets-to-scratch-their-seven-year-offensive-itch-in-draft

Fallout from Jets' OC hire: Questions about QBs, Colin Kaepernick

A few thoughts on former New Orleans Saints receivers coach John Morton, whom sources say will be hired as the New York Jets' offensive coordinator:

1. Morton doesn't check the most important box for this job -- quarterback guru. A former wide receiver and a longtime receivers coach, he has no direct experience coaching and developing quarterbacks. That's kind of a big deal on this team, considering the only two quarterbacks under contract -- Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg -- are neophytes. Maybe Todd Bowles can save the day by hiring a savvy quarterbacks coach, but those guys are hard to find. Morton also has no NFL experience as a coordinator, although he had the title at USC in 2009.

2. Morton has been around good offenses. That's important. It buys credibility with the players. The Saints were No. 2 and No. 1 in total offense the last two seasons, respectively.

3. Most new coordinators like to have a familiar face in the quarterback room, a player who knows the system, can speak the language and can help teach it to the others. Obviously, Drew Brees won't be following Morton to the Jets. His backup is journeyman Luke McCown, but he's signed for 2017. Unless general manager Mike Maccagnan pulls off a trade, the Jets will have to look elsewhere for a veteran. Morton was the 49ers' receivers coach from 2011 to 2014, when Colin Kaepernick was, you know, good. Kaepernick has the ability to void his contract in early March, which would make him a free agent. Hmm, Kap to the Jets? That would be risky on multiple levels. Morton's old quarterback at USC, Matt Barkley, will be a free agent. Just saying.

4. Why Morton? Let's be real: Bowles' phone probably wasn't blowing up with interested coaches. This is a major rebuilding project, defined by the uncertainty at quarterback. Bowles' lack of long-term job security also had to be a concern. What I'm saying is, there wasn't a deep pool of candidates. From what I'm told, Bowles picked Morton because of the Sean Payton connection. Bowles and Payton coached together in Dallas, under Bill Parcells, and he leaned on Payton's recommendation. Bowles also likes Morton's preference for a West Coast offense, which means the tight end will make a comeback.

5. Morton has worked under some terrific offensive minds, namely Payton (three years) and Jim Harbaugh (five years). Early in his career, he spent time under Norv Turner and Bill Callahan. That's what you call a good coaching pedigree. I'd expect Morton to employ a system that incorporates Payton's sophisticated passing attack with Harbaugh's power-running game. It's important that he stay true to both influences. The Jets don't have the personnel (see: quarterback) to run the Saints' offense. The Saints attempted 674 passes last season, second-most in the league. The Jets can't live that way; they need balance.

6. The Jets' young receivers -- Quincy Enunwa, Robby Anderson & Co. -- will love this hire. Just look at Morton's track record with the Saints: Brandin Cooks, Michael Thomas and Willie Snead -- all under 24 -- formed the most prolific receiving trio in the league, as they combined for 242 catches and 3,205 yards in 2016. Brees was a big part of that, but it would be wrong to dismiss Morton's influence.

7. From what I understand, Bowles will be more active on the offensive side of the ball than in the past. Previously, he let Chan Gailey do his thing, staying out of the way. I wouldn't expect a dramatic change, just subtle involvement. The reason is because Bowles has a lot of confidence in his rebuilt defensive staff, which includes three new assistants, so he feels like he can leave them be and spend more time with the offense.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66613/fallout-from-jets-oc-hire-questions-about-qbs-colin-kaepernick

A five-point plan for new Jets offensive coordinator John Morton

Once John Morton's hiring becomes official, the New York Jets' offensive coordinator can get to work on what figures to be a massive rebuilding project. While he won't be making personnel decisions, he will chart the course for the 2.0 version of Todd Bowles' offense.

A few thoughts on what Morton needs to do from a philosophical standpoint :

1. Install a quarterback-friendly offense: Chances are, it'll be a hybrid system, combining elements Morton learned from his two biggest influences, Jim Harbaugh and Sean Payton. Priority No. 1: Put a stop to the turnover madness that has plagued the Jets for years. From 2008 to 2016, from Brett Favre to Ryan Fitzpatrick, the Jets' quarterbacks threw a league-high 173 interceptions, 12 more than the next-closest team. Morton needs to keep his quarterback (whoever it is) out of high-risk situations.

2. Teach and develop: Morton inherits an offense in transition, one that could be relying on many young players. His ability to communicate and integrate his system to inexperienced players will be vital. It starts with the quarterbacks, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, neither of whom is close to being a finished product. Their heads will be spinning, especially Hackenberg, who will be learning his fourth system in five years. Morton's job is to get these guys on the fast track so they can compete for the starting job at some point.

3. Create balance: We're not talking about run-pass balance, although that will be important. The Jets need balance within the running and passing attacks. Example: When Fitzpatrick was the quarterback, the passing game revolved around Brandon Marshall. For Petty, it was Robby Anderson. It made the offense predictable. That will change under Morton, who comes from perhaps the most balanced passing attack in the league. Check out the Saints' target distribution from last season: Michael Thomas 120, Brandin Cooks 117, Willie Snead 103. That's what you call spreading the ball around.

4. Re-establish play-action: The Jets attempted only 69 play-action passes last season (30th), per ESPN Stats & Information. That made no sense because the running game was productive in a number of games. The Saints were third in play-action attempts (113), so you have to believe Morton will take that mindset to the Jets. A strong play-action game will open spaces for receivers, which will make life easier for the quarterback.

5. Bring back the tight end: Everybody knows former coordinator Chan Gailey had no use for tight ends in the passing attack, eliminating an over-the-middle element. Morton will change that approach. The Saints' base offense was three receivers/one tight end/one running back, a personnel grouping that produced 30 touchdowns. They used a four-receiver package for only 27 snaps, compared to 337 for the Jets, per ESPN Stats. Now all the Jets need is a pass-catching tight end. The Saints had Coby Fleener, who caught 50 passes.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66644/a-five-point-plan-for-new-jets-offensive-coordinator-john-morton

New Jets OC John Morton gets a thumbs-up from Drew Brees

The New York Jets' decision to hire John Morton as their offensive coordinator was endorsed by a future Hall of Fame quarterback.Drew Brees has known Morton for a decade, including three seasons together with the New Orleans Saints -- 2006, 2015 and 2016. Morton was the Saints' receivers coach in each of those seasons and he apparently made a positive impression on Brees.

"I’m excited for him and the opportunity that he has," Brees said Thursday at Super Bowl LI in Houston, where he spoke to Ryan Hurley of ESPN New York radio. "He's been around some great play-callers throughout his career, guys like Norv Turner in Oakland, Jon Gruden of course [and] Sean Payton, just to name a few.

"My experiences with Johnny have been great, especially over the last two years when he came back to New Orleans. I thought he brought a lot of great ideas and kind of a presence with the coaching staff, and contributed a lot. I wish him well. I hope he does a great job."

The Saints produced more yards and scored more touchdowns than any team in the NFL over the last two seasons.Morton was hired this week to replace Chan Gailey, who retired at the end of the season.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66716/new-jets-oc-john-morton-gets-a-thumbs-up-from-drew-brees

You've got the questions, I've got the answers (I think). Our New York Jets query of the week :

@RichCimini hey Rich! I heard Romo is a real possibility to sign with Broncos. Any chance Jets trade for Siemian or Lynch? #jetsmail

@RichCimini: The Houston Texans, Kansas City Chiefs and Chicago Bears also have been linked to Tony Romo. Right now, it's a total guessing game. I suspect the Jets might have interest, too, but I don't see that marriage happening. Romo wants to play for a Super Bowl contender -- who can blame him? -- so that rules out the Jets.When Romo lands somewhere, it'll start a domino effect in the quarterback market, causing another quarterback to shake free. That's where the Jets can benefit. Let's say your hunch is correct and he ends up with the Denver Broncos. How would that affect the Jets?

Forget about Paxton Lynch becoming available. The Broncos took him with a first-round pick and there's no way they'd cut bait after only one year. It wouldn't make sense from a football standpoint or a salary-cap standpoint. Besides, the Jets wouldn't give up a high pick for Lynch. They weren't particularly high on him in the draft. I heard they had a middle-round grade on him.Trevor Siemian would be a possibility under your Romo scenario, but the problem is this: The Broncos would have all the leverage. They control Siemian's rights for two more years at a ridiculously inexpensive price -- cap numbers of $628,000 and $728,000 in 2017 and 2018, respectively. They could easily keep him as a No. 2 or No. 3 quarterback with no strain on their cap situation. Remember, he was a seventh-round pick -- cheap labor.

With no sense of urgency, the Broncos would have to be blown out of the water to trade Siemian. If you're Mike Maccagnan, would you deal a first-rounder for him? I wouldn't. A second-rounder? That's still a rich price. Siemian did a respectable job last year (8-6 as the starter, 18 touchdowns, 10 interceptions, 84.6 passer rating), but he's still an unfinished product.Before they do anything, the Jets must update their evaluations of Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. This will determine which aisle of the quarterback market they'll be shopping. Do they pursue a "bridge" quarterback or do they make a significant investment? If it's the latter, we'll know they're not counting on Petty and Hackenberg.

>        http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66740/could-jets-scoop-up-broncos-odd-man-out-if-tony-romo-lands-in-denver

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/2/4/14507910/new-jets-offensive-coordinator-john-morton-has-more-experience-than-you-think

Albert Breer of MMQB penned a piece that discussed many topics. One of them is the new offensive coordinator of the Jets, John Morton. There has been much talk of Morton’s inexperience running an offense. While Morton is hardly a seasoned veteran, Breer indicates he does have a little bit more than people realize.

He’s got a lot of work to do. Coach Todd Bowles liked Morton’s energy and football know-how as he made the decision to pick the Saints receivers coach over ex-Houston coordinator George Godsey (Detroit’s Brian Callahan and Oakland’s Todd Downing are two names they’d earlier pursued). And Morton has more experience than his on-paper résumé shows. He was Pete Carroll’s coordinator at USC before becoming receivers coach for Jim Harbaugh in San Francisco. There, with the Niners, Morton became a de facto pass-game coordinator over his four years and, by the end, became involved in calling pass plays.

The Niners weren’t exactly a passing juggernaut in those years. Their offensive identity was a smashmouth run game. I’m sure we will talk about it plenty as the offseason progresses, but I did like a lot of the things they did to work around limited quarterbacks, though.

I don’t think there’s really enough here to change your mind if you don’t like it or to make you love this hire a whole lot more if you were already positive on it, but this is interesting to hear.

• 3 weeks later...

Jets need home-run threat at running back, but money is an issue

With free agency approaching (March 9), we're analyzing the biggest needs on the New York Jets' roster, examining possible upgrades:

Position: Running back

2017 cap hits of top returnees:

Matt Forte -- $5 million

Bilal Powell -- $4.6 million

Khiry Robinson -- $1.1 million

Pending free agents: None.

Key stat: Powell had one heck of a season; too bad he had only 131 carries. Check out these league rankings: Second in yards per carry (5.5), fifth in yards before contact per rush (3.24) and third in yards after contact (2.21), according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Money matters: Believe it or not, the Jets have the third-highest cap total for running backs ($12.2 million), trailing only the Panthers ($12.3 million) and Vikings ($20 million). Between Forte and Powell, the Jets have $6.5 million tied up in guaranteed money for 2017.

Big picture: The Jets can live with Forte (31) and Powell (28) for another year, assuming Forte recovers from his end-of-the-season knee scope, but they need to integrate another player into the equation -- a breakaway threat. Neither Powell nor Forte had a run longer than 35 yards. It's tough to operate in today's NFL with a plodding offense.

Free-agent market watch: Le'Veon Bell, LeGarrette Blount, Eddie Lacy, Latavius Murray, Tim Hightower, Danny Woodhead, DeAngelo Williams, Patrick DiMarco (FB).

Also could become available: Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, Doug Martin, Jonathan Stewart.

The game plan: Because of the financial commitment to Forte and Powell, the Jets can't afford to make a big splurge. General manager Mike Maccagnan boxed himself in with the Forte deal. If there's a major addition at running back, it would come from the draft. Picking sixth, they probably will be in position to pick Leonard Fournette or Dalvin Cook. In terms of depth, they can't count on Robinson, recovering from yet another broken leg. Hightower, who played under new coordinator John Morton with the Saints, could be a low-cost option as a No. 3 back. The Jets, who didn't carry a fullback last season, will need one for Morton's West Coast system. DiMarco, who turns 28 in April, would be an option.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66897/jets-need-home-run-threat-at-running-back-but-money-is-an-issue

EA Q&A: Jets Have Multiple Options at QB

Posted 19 hours ago

•  
  •  

GM Mike Maccagnan Has Tasted First-Round Success with Williams and Lee

E_MK2_5623-petty-top.jpg

EA: Yes. When the NFL League Year commences on March 9, the Jets are scheduled to have only two quarterbacks on their roster. Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif, who got his feet wet in his second professional season, is coming off surgery on his non-throwing shoulder. Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif had a redshirt rookie season and head coach Todd Bowles has said the Penn State product has to make some progress and jumps. In any case, the Jets will need a quarterback or two from a sheer volume standpoint before training camp commences.While both Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan will speak to the media in Indianapolis, the Jets aren’t likely to reveal their plan of attack to the rest of the football world. The options include signing a free agent, trading for a player on an existing roster and/or drafting a quarterback. Those aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive options as quarterback is a position where you can’t have enough talent.

The free agent class could include Kirk Cousins (Washington Redskins), Mike Glennon (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Matt Barkley (Chicago Bears), Brian Hoyer (Chicago Bears), Case Keenum (Los Angeles Rams), Shaun Hill (Minnesota Vikings) and Matt McGloin (Oakland Raiders). Washington may elect to place the franchise tag on Cousins for a second consecutive season and the Buffalo Bills have to decide if they will pick up the contract option on Tyrod Taylor’s contract. If the Bills elect not to pay that $31 million guarantee, Taylor will also become a free agent. Both Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif and Geno Smithicon-article-link.gif, who started 27 and 30 games with the Jets respectively, have expiring contracts.

tempE_MK2_8678-Allen--nfl_mezz_1280_1024
slideshow-icon.png
VIEW GALLERY | 13 Photos

Then following free agency, the NFL will hold its Draft April 27-29. At this point, there doesn’t seem to be a clear-cut top signal caller prospect. Some pundits like Clemson’s big-game standout Deshaun Watson and others are high on one-year North Carolina starter Mitch Trubisky. Respected NFL media draft analyst Mike Mayock has Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer atop his QB positional rankings and Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes seems to be receiving a lot of buzz of late.Gems can be found well beyond the first round. Mississippi State’s Dak Prescott went in Round 4 to the Cowboys last April and took home the NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. Russell Wilson was a third-round pick in 2012 and Tom Brady was a sixth-rounder in 2000. 

Four-time Pro Bowler Tony Romo went undrafted in 2003 after playing collegiately at Eastern Illinois. Washington product Warren Moon dominated the CFL before becoming a nine-time Pro Bowler in the NFL. Recent Hall of Fame inductee Kurt Warner was bagging groceries for $5.50 an hour before the Northern Iowa product became a star in the Arena League. Then with his shot for glory, Warner became a four-time Pro Bowler and two-time first-team All-Pro in addition to grabbing Super Bowl XXXIV MVP honors.Todd Bowles has a new offensive coordinator and new quarterback coach in John Morton and Jeremy Bates. Like every other NFL team, the Jets have assessed a self-scout of their roster and also continue to prepare for the market’s open. Their plan at the position will be put into action in the weeks and months ahead. 

EA : Major props on the El Beardo moniker. Hopefully nobody has that trademarked. With their last eight first-round picks, the Jets have selected defensive players. Since 2001, the Jets have taken five offensive players in Round 1: WR Santana Moss (2001), LT D’Brickashaw Ferguson & C Nick Mangoldicon-article-link.gif (2006), TE Dustin Keller (2008) and QB Mark Sanchez (2009). I do think Mike Maccagnan has done an excellent job with his first two first-rounders to date as DL Leonard Williamsicon-article-link.gif(No. 6, 2015) was just voted Team MVP and played in the Pro Bowl while ILB Darron Leeicon-article-link.gif (No. 20, 2016) became a three-down player and flashed big-time potential. There is a high likelihood that the first round in April will be dominated by defensive players, starting with Texas A&M pass rusher Myles Garrett. I think Maccagnan will keep his options open, trying to fill holes in free agency and then landing an impact player — regardless the side of the ball — if he stays at No. 6.

>  http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/EA-QA-Jets-Have-Multiple-Options-at-QB/c5722f94-36c1-4150-b0d6-28f7218df4c3

The offseason is gaining momentum, and the No. 1 question surrounding the New York Jets remains the quarterback position.

@RichCimini @nyjets Which veteran QB do you most likely see the Jets signing this offseason? #jetsmail

@RichCimini : My money remains on Mike Glennon, with "money" being the key word. If the bidding for the pending free agent gets out of control -- we're talking Brock Osweiler money -- I think the Jets would drop out. They have to be smart about this; they can't let desperation run their checkbook. Asking price aside, Glennon checks enough of the other important boxes -- age, experience, upside, etc. -- to make him a worthwhile consideration for a quarterback-needy team such as the Jets. They could see him as a bridge quarterback, with a chance to develop into something more. Me? I'd proceed with caution. He has a slow release and he doesn't perform well when pressured.

I could see the Jets making a phone call on Tony Romo, but it just doesn't seem like the right match for either side. In my opinion, Tyrod Taylor is the best fit for the Jets, even though his accuracy would be a concern in a West Coast-type system. New offensive coordinator John Morton would have to build his system around Taylor's strengths. That aside, he's a dynamic runner, doesn't throw a lot of interceptions and still hasn't reached his ceiling. The Bills still own his rights, with a decision fast approaching. Taylor is seeking major bucks and could be cost prohibitive for the Jets, who may prefer a short-term solution while Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg continue to develop on the bench.

There's been a lot of buzz about Jay Cutler (assuming he's released by the Bears), but I don't see him coming to the Jets. Yeah, I know, his old position coach, Jeremy Bates, now works for the Jets, but I'd still be surprised if it happens. Quarterback is a leadership position, and Cutler is not a leader. He's also turnover-prone.

Jimmy Garoppolo? Come on, man, do you think Bill Belichick would trade him to the Jets?

Ultimately, the Jets' evaluation of Petty and Hackenberg will determine how much they invest at quarterback. If they need a cheap, bridge quarterback, Brian Hoyer would be an option. If they want an expensive (and risky) bridge, it would be Romo. If they're thinking long term and willing to spend, Taylor would be a solid choice. If they want to hedge their bets, Glennon could be the guy.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67118/assessing-jets-quarterback-options-from-mike-glennon-to-jimmy-g

Reports that the Chicago Bears are actively trying to trade disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler surfaced early Tuesday evening and since then, there have been constant rumors about potential teams interested in trading for him.One of the teams that are repeatedly mentioned in these rumors are the New York Jets.

The rumors are believable due to the fact that the Jets still don’t have a quarterback on their roster that they can comfortably go into next season with. Ryan Fitzpatrick is gone, Geno Smith is rehabbing from a torn ACL and Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg have huge question marks surrounding their abilities to be starting quarterbacks in this league.

But even with the quarterback problems the Jets have, is it a good idea for them to go after Cutler?

Cutler is going to turn 34 in April and only appeared in five games last season due to injury. But in the few games he was healthy enough to play in, he was nothing like his old self and was one of the worst quarterbacks in the league.And with the Jets likely entering a rebuilding phase, it doesn’t make much sense for the team to mortgage future draft picks away for a 34-year-old player that is coming off a significant shoulder injury. Cutler also has a huge contract, as the Bears signed him to a seven-year extension with $54 million guaranteed back in 2014.

The Jets are better off targeting another quarterback, whether it be in free agency or the draft. If I was Mike Maccagnan, I’m staying as far away from Jay Cutler as possible.

>      http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/25/why-the-jets-shouldnt-pursue-bears-qb-jay-cutler/

• 1 month later...

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets coach Todd Bowles said he will be "heavily more involved" in the offense. This is noteworthy because in his first two seasons, he let coordinator Chan Gailey run the show. But now he has a first-time OC, John Morton. Bowles also believes he needs to take this step to continue his evolution as a head coach.

>      http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

-- When the the Jets announced the hiring of John Morton as their offensive coordinator, most subsequently rushed to their internet browser. This wasn't exactly some big-name signing, after all. Few outside the NFL circle had ever uttered his name.And once some found out Morton had never actually been a coordinator before ... or called plays ... or worked directly with quarterbacks, hysteria set in. 

Sean Payton, who hired Morton twice to his coaching staff with the Saints, did his best to ease those concerns at the NFL owners meeting. "You're going to be impressed with him," Payton said. "I think he's going to be outstanding."Morton first joined the Saints as an offensive assistant in 2006, then again nine years later as the receivers coach. Both times he left quite the impression on Payton. Morton was one of three Saints coaches who would present plays to Payton game week -- 12 to 13 for all different game situations.

During a meeting, Morton would present them to Payton, explain why they'd work, and break down the film illustrating the exact situation they could be used."They were all so well thought out," Payton said. "I may like three of them, not the other eight, but he's going to come back with the same energy and passion for the next category...  He has been around guys like [Jon] Gruden, [Jim] Harbaugh, myself. He's very meticulous."

Morton has his work cut out for him. The Jets offense ranked 31st in Football Outsider's efficiency rating, 26th in yards per game (329.2) and 30th in points (17.2). There's also quite the hole at the NFL's most important position: Christian Hackenberg, Bryce Petty and Josh McCown are the only quarterbacks under contract. 

Hackenberg didn't throw a pass last season as a rookie.Petty threw three touchdowns and seven interceptions in six game appearances.McCown is 2-20 as a starter since 2014.  

But Payton believes Morton will do whatever it takes -- except for win fans or media over with impressive quotes and press conferences. His work ethic, though, is unrivaled.At the Saints facility they have a sleep room which, equipped with air conditioning, houses eight bunk beds. Payton indicated Morton would work until 2 and 3 a.m., then crash there, wake up, and get an early start the next day."I think he's a tremendous football coach," Payton said. "I do. I know this - there's not any lack of passion. He'll be there until whatever hour it takes. He'll spend a lot of nights there, I'm sure. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/03/saints_sean_payton_raves_about_new_jets_oc_john_mo.html#incart_river_index

One of the Jets' most significant offseason decisions was finding the right offensive coordinator and Saints head coach Sean Payton believes Todd Bowles scored big with the addition of John Morton.“Johnny Mo, he’s very prepared,” Payton said Wednesday at the NFL Owners Meetings in Phoenix, AZ. “You’re going to be impressed with him.”

Morton was Payton’s offensive assistant/passing game coach in 2006 when the Saints advanced to the NFC Championship Game.“John’s the type to go break down and research and dig and he’s going to present,” Payton said of Morton’s role more than a decade ago. “He’s one of two or three guys, but he’s going to have 12 or 14 play thoughts when it’s red zone or 12 or 14 play thoughts on third down. They’re well thought out with film evidence and I might like three of them and not the other eight. And yet he’s going to come back with the same energy and the same passion for the next category.”

Payton enjoyed working with Morton so much that he brought him back to serve as the Saints WR coach the past two seasons.“He’s going to work his tail off. We had two, three in the morning nights during the year — that’s just how it is,” Payton said. “But he’s a fantastic teacher. He knows the offense. He’s going to look closely at the personnel, making sure the offense is built around the ingredient and it’s not the other way. He’ll do a good job of assessing with the staff, hey, here are our strengths and let’s play to them.”

While Morton served as Pete Carroll’s offensive coordinator at USC in 2009, this will be the first time he’ll be in charge of the play-calling at the pro level. Payton recalled today when he was given the play-calling assignment against the Jets in Week 13 of the 1999 season. The Giants captured that contest 41-28 and Payton is still calling the offensive shots nearly 20 years later.“It’s his first opportunity and I think he’ll do a real good job. I said this to him that there’s no better city than New York to go have success as a play-caller,” Payton said. “You go in there and make an impression. It happened to me in 1999, the first chance having the opportunity to call plays. It was right in the middle of the season. I think it was a Jets game, it was Parcells, it was Belichick and I was young. Those are good memories and good opportunities.”

Morton, who has worked on offensive staffs for Jon Gruden, Jim Harbaugh and Payton, is a notorious grinder who was known to get a few winks at the Saints “sleep room” that consisted of eight bunk beds at the team’s facility. Payton describes the new Jets OC as meticulous, willing to go the extra mile to get the job done right.A day after Todd Bowles said the Jets will have an open competition at quarterback, Payton delivered a message that they have an impressive coordinator leading the unit.

“Most importantly it’s going to be who’s playing quarterback,” Payton said of the Jets offense. “Has that been solved? But I think you guys will be impressed. I think he’s a tremendous football coach.”

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Sean-Payton-Johnny-Mo-is-a-Fantastic-Teacher/75865c2b-a43a-4e28-9d6b-0f08e2de1e67

This happened in the late 1990s. Jon Gruden was the coach of the Oakland Raiders and he assigned a research project to a young scouting assistant named John Morton, known around the facility as an around-the-clock grinder who regularly slept in the office.

"I remember giving him a couple of passing concepts I really liked, and I said, ‘Can you come up with some new formations and new looks for these plays?’" Gruden was saying Wednesday in a phone interview. "I didn’t see him for seven or eight or nine hours. The next day, he had these plays drawn from a hundred different looks, formations, shifts, you name it."

Gruden believes Morton will bring that same passion to his new gig, offensive coordinator of the New York Jets -- one of the toughest coaching jobs in the NFL. The Jets are rebuilding without a clear-cut answer at quarterback, and they've entrusted the challenge to a first-time NFL coordinator."You’re not going to replicate the New Orleans Saints, run by Drew Brees, in Year 1 with the Jets," Gruden said, alluding to Morton's previous team. "That’s not going to happen. They’re going to have to have a little patience and see what they have so they can put their vision on paper and on film."

The current ESPN analyst was one of Morton's first mentors in the NFL. Gruden was hired by the Raiders in 1998, when Morton was added to the pro scouting department. Gruden credited the late Al Davis with discovering Morton, a former wide receiver who boasted sub-4.4 speed in the 40. He impressed Davis with his work ethic and knowledge of personnel, and became "an invaluable part of our staff," Gruden said.Gruden has watched Morton grow up in the business, and he believes his former protege is ready to run his own show at the not-so-tender age of 47. Morton is a late bloomer in an industry getting younger by the year.

"Some of these guys who get jobs are sometimes fortunate to get them," Gruden said. "I know I was fortunate to get an opportunity at a young age. You can’t rush greatness, that’s what I always say. I just think he’ll do an excellent job."

Morton will have to be part coach, part miracle worker.

"A lot of it obviously depends on who you have," Gruden said. "You’re going to be a better coordinator if you have a better quarterback. You’re going to be a better coach if you have better players. I don’t know what they’ve assembled there -- the draft and the upcoming month will decide that -- but he’ll be able to get the most, I think, out of what he has."Coach Todd Bowles hasn't said what kind of system Morton will employ, and no one knows what Morton is thinking because he still hasn't been made available to the media. But Gruden expects Morton to install a form of the West Coast offense."Yeah, I think so, I don’t think there’s any doubt," Gruden said. "He’s got a tough spot right now. I don’t know if he knows who the quarterback will be. They haven’t been able to play catch yet. I think he’s got enough versatility where he can grab and pull and choose from different experiences in life."

It always comes back to the quarterback issue, the story of the Jets' history.

"Look, they know more about Bryce Petty than the rest of us and they know more about [Christian] Hackenberg than the rest of us," Gruden said. "The only time I saw Hackenberg was minimal snaps in a couple of preseason games."We know what Josh McCown is. He’s a serviceable player. He’s great, I think, in the meeting room. He’s an outstanding mentor, great person, but as long-term solution, I don’t think he’s the answer, personally."

Gruden said his old friend faces "a big challenge." That's a diplomatic way of putting it.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67974/jon-gruden-on-jets-oc-john-morton-huge-challenge-for-a-hungry-coach

These are changing times for the New York Jets.  The Green & White have made a plethora of offseason of moves and one of the organization’s most vital weekends — the NFL Draft — is now just three weeks away.

“We’ve always stated this is to build through the college draft process, but I think we were very —  to a certain degree — prudent in our approach and tried to find good value and good investments,” said GM Mike Maccagnan recently after the initial free agency waves. “We didn’t want to mortgage the future with a lot of players. We targeted certain types of players and felt good about adding those players and this is a continual process building this thing going forward.”

With the Jets owning the No. 6 overall selection and four picks in the Draft’s first three rounds, the Green & White have the opportunity to find multiple impact players in a deep class who can help this team immediately. Todd Bowles, who said at the NFL Owners Meetings that expectations remain high inside the building, is embracing the work ahead with a youthful roster.

“As a coach, you don’t rebuild, you just build,” he said.

With the Draft around the corner, we examine the position groups as they stand today. We start with the offense….

Offensive Line
The strength of this unit lies in the guards. Maccagnan kept Brian Wintersicon-article-link.gif off the market with an extension and the Jets are in good shape with him at RG and James Carpentericon-article-link.gif, the team’s most consistent lineman, at LG. After a long Nick Mangold run at center, Wesley Johnsonicon-article-link.gif could be in line to take over in the middle. Bowles said Johnson was tough, intelligent, great in the run game and got better as the year progressed after taking over for the injured Mangold. Newcomer Kelvin Beachumicon-article-link.gifjoins a tackle trio that includes second-year player Brandon Shellicon-article-link.gif and veteran Ben Ijalanaicon-article-link.gif. Bowles said Shell is a right tackle right now, Ijalana has experience at both spots and Beachum has primarily played LT throughout his career. Maccagnan added some depth up front with the addition of Jonotthan Harrisonicon-article-link.gif, a 25-year-old who has 23 career starts on his resume. It’s a young group with Carpenter being the elder statesmen at 28.

Tight End
The Jets added a fifth TE to the roster Thursday, inking former Chief Brian Parkericon-article-link.gif to a deal. Austin Seferian-Jenkinsicon-article-link.gif, who will be eligible to participate in all offseason and training camp practices, along with preseason games, will serve a two-game suspension to start the season. This is one of the deepest TE classes in recent memory featuring the likes of O.J. Howard (Alabama), David Njoku (Miami) and Evan Engram (Mississippi). The Jets emphasized getting the ball to their wide receivers the past two seasons and used the tight ends primarily as inline blockers, but John Morton is calling the shots now and Brandon Marshall is no longer on the roster. Maccagnan has said he would like to add a pass-catching TE to the mix and he could add an intriguing talent on Draft weekend.

Running Back
Bowles knew Bilal Powellicon-article-link.gif was tough and a good complementary back, but his play down the stretch proved to the head coach that he could be the guy. Powell, who set a personnel best with 1,100  yards from scrimmage, and Matt Fortéicon-article-link.gif (1,076) became the only pair of RBs last season to each record 1,000 scrimmage yards. With the No. 6 overall pick, the Jets could be in a fascinating positon if Leonard Fournette is on the board. The LSU back could be an attractive option or some teams might be interesting in moving up to grab a potential game-changer. Maccagnan has expressed his desire to acquire more picks and that he’s open for business. This is an extremely deep RB class including players like Christian McCaffrey (Stanford), Dalvin Cook (Florida State) and Alvin Kamara (Tennessee).

Wide Receiver 
With Marshall joining New York’s NFC representative and Eric Deckericon-article-link.gif recovering from offseason hip and shoulder surgeries, the focus will be on the young guns this spring. Much like Powell, Quincy Enunwaicon-article-link.gif has become an igniter who has the ability to energize the entire team. He is a physical force who can out-muscle DBs and he’s dangerous running after the catch. Former second-round pick Devin Smithicon-article-link.gif is a talented receiver who has battled injuries and will look for a fresh start. This will be an important spring for a player who was one of the nation's top vertical threats at Ohio State. Speedster Robby Andersonicon-article-link.gif had 42 receptions in Year 1 and former 49er Quinton Pattonicon-article-link.gif is 26, joining the Jets after setting career highs with 37 receptions and 408 yards receiving. Charone Peakeicon-article-link.gif, a seventh-round pick from Clemson, had 19 catches as a rookie. Jalin Marshallicon-article-link.gif will get reps, but he’s facing a four-game suspension. This is a young group who could get even younger in a few weeks.

Quarterback
As Maccagnan says, all options remain on the table. Bowles said the Jets could select a QB with the No. 6 overall selection and he could be the team’s opening-day starter. Josh McCownicon-article-link.gif is the consummate professional who  worked with QB coach Jeremy Bates in Chicago. The redshirt is off Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif and he’ll have an opportunity to win the job. Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif will be returning from offseason shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum. While opinions are mixed on who the top signal caller is in this class, there could be as many as four quarterbacks taken in the first round.

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Taking-Stock-Part-I-Jets-Offense/921920e3-479c-4a45-8e0e-1331e6972c64

When Todd Bowles chose John Morton as his offensive coordinator, he hired a coach, not a system.

Even though Morton has spent the better part of his NFL career in a West Coast offense, he will adapt based on the New York Jets' personnel. The system, Bowles said, "will mold itself."

That philosophy soon could be put to the test -- specifically, with regard to running back Leonard Fournette.

The former LSU star is widely regarded as one of the top prospects in the draft, and he could be available for the Jets, who own the sixth pick. The Jets, who haven't used a first-round pick on an offensive player since quarterback Mark Sanchez in 2009, are desperate for a playmaker. Fournette is a rare talent, according to scouts, but it may not be a slam-dunk decision if he's still on the board.

If they pick Fournette, they'd be drafting an identity, not just a running back. They'd have to commit to a certain way of doing things or else it would make no sense to add a player with his skill set. He'd have to be the focal point of the offense.At 6-foot-1, 228 pounds, Fournette is the kind of back who needs the rock in his hands -- a lot. He wears down defenses with his power and physical running style. In his signature season, 2015, he averaged 25 carries per game, finishing with 1,953 yards. He was an absolutely beast in the third quarter, compiling 36 percent of his rushing total.

With Fournette, the backfield-by-committee approach really means a one-man committee.

The Jets have a couple of capable runners in Matt Forte and Bilal Powell, who earned a bigger role with his late-season surge, according to Bowles. If they bring Fournette into the program, it has to be his show, not a three-man rotation. From football and financial standpoints (we're talking about a guaranteed contract of $22 million, based on the sixth slot), it wouldn't be prudent to make him one of the guys. He'd have to be The Guy.

Would Bowles and Morton be willing to run the offense through Fournette ?

Another factor is scheme.

Fournette needs to be in a power-running scheme (think: Tennessee Titans) that capitalizes on his downhill style. A zone scheme, often utilized in a West Coast system, is predicated on creating cutback lanes for the running back. You need a slashing back with patience and vision, someone who waits for a hole to develop and attacks the daylight with a quick re-direct.

That particular style, some scouts believe, isn't conducive to Fournette's game.

Fournette has that kind of ability if used properly. If Morton wants to employ a typical West Coast offense, not featuring a smash-mouth rushing attack, the Jets should take a pass on Fournette and go in another direction.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68033/leonard-fournette-could-be-best-player-for-jets-but-maybe-not-right-player

• 11 months later...
3 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Exactly why, in all his wisdom, did Bowles fire John Morton?? The one fear I have (and it's going to come true) is that we draft aQB, and Bowles won't know what to do with him and start Josh McClown again.

josh is gonna be our starter for at least the first 10 games ( unless he's injured/sick ).. once we're " out of the playoff race ",... we'll see our 2018 1st round pick   ;)

:wine:

• 2 months later...

Archived