Bowles knows who new OC will be...

"I'm pretty sure where I'm going," Bowles told Hughes. "I can't say anything. When we hire somebody, I will let you know. ... I know what we need and know how to slot them in, and kind of go from there."

*Question? Being that no one has been interviewed for the job, how the hell does he know who would agree to take the job?

6 minutes ago, #90 said:

"I'm pretty sure where I'm going," Bowles told Hughes. "I can't say anything. When we hire somebody, I will let you know. ... I know what we need and know how to slot them in, and kind of go from there."

*Question? Being that no one has been interviewed for the job, how the hell does he know who would agree to take the job?

It's Fitzmagic!

1 hour ago, #90 said:

Better question?

Where do you guys get that he hasn't interviewed anyone and how the hell do you know who has been offered, accepted or turned down the job?

You don't is the answer.

Can't help but think Dorrell has a real shot at this job.  Could've "interviewed" w/o the media knowing, has been an OC in college and will be more familiar with Hack and Petty than any other candidates.

Part of me hopes it's him because that means he will have been working with the CS this whole time, as opposed to bringing somebody in who couldn't get a gig elsewhere and didn't attend scouting events with the current staff.

54 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Can't help but think Dorrell has a real shot at this job.  Could've "interviewed" w/o the media knowing, has been an OC in college and will be more familiar with Hack and Petty than any other candidates.

Part of me hopes it's him because that means he will have been working with the CS this whole time, as opposed to bringing somebody in who couldn't get a gig elsewhere and didn't attend scouting events with the current staff.

You know..you have a very good point. It very well maybe him. 

30 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You know..you have a very good point. It very well maybe him. 

Could be...digging a little deeper to see his level of success as an OC and HC in college to put an article together.  Lots of reasons to give him the job at this point.

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Could be.  Just found something else that was interesting.  Karl Dorrel worked with Todd Bowles when Bowles was interim head coach in Miami as well.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66551/todd-bowles-poised-to-take-new-york-jets-offense-in-a-new-direction-again

Todd Bowles poised to take Jets' offense in a new direction (again)

No matter whom Todd Bowles picks to become his new offensive coordinator -- whether it's George Godsey, John Morton or a mystery candidate -- the New York Jets will be starting over on offense in Year 3 of the current regime.

So much for continuity. It'll be a new philosophy and a new playbook, Bowles' second chance to create an offensive identity.

Godsey, who spent the past three seasons with the Houston Texans (the last two as coordinator), comes from a team that employs a Patriots-like system -- a "game-plan" offense, so to speak. It varies week to week, depending on personnel and matchups. The Patriots are the gold standard with this approach. Godsey, a former Patriots assistant, must have done something right in New England, because Tom Brady calls him "Goose" and considers him a "close" friend.

Jets head coach Todd Bowles had a year to plan for the retirement of Chan Gailey, above, but didn't hire an heir apparent to succeed him as offensive coordinator. 

Godsey is former college quarterback who has coached the position, and that's important to the Jets, who have a couple of young quarterbacks who need to be coached up. The negative: He was stripped of his playcalling duties after three games last season as the Texans collapsed on offense. They scored only 23 touchdowns, the lowest output for a playoff team in a non-strike season since the NFL expanded to 16 games in 1978.

The Texans were doomed, in large part, by Brock Osweiler's ineptitude at quarterback, but Godsey was the scapegoat. His ouster was called a "mutual" parting of the ways. Wink, wink.

Morton has worked under two bright offensive minds, Sean Payton and Jim Harbaugh. You have to think his offense would be a blend of Payton's sophisticated passing attack and Harbaugh's power-running game. He spent four years with Harbaugh and the 49ers when Colin Kaepernick was, you know, a good quarterback.

The concern with Morton, currently the Saints' receivers coach, is that he's never worked directly with quarterbacks and he has no NFL experience as a coordinator. He was Pete Carroll's at USC in 2009, but the offense slipped and he was demoted the following season under Lane Kiffin.

Bowles also interviewed Broncos running backs coach Eric Studesville, but he opted to stay in Denver. Bowles has discussed the opening with other candidates, but those names haven't surfaced.

In the ideal scenario, the head coach would've promoted from within, allowing for a seamless transition. That's how the good teams do it, but the Jets didn't have a great plan to replace Chan Gailey.

It's not as though Bowles was blindsided by Gailey's retirement. In a Jan. 3 statement, Gailey said he informed Bowles of his plans prior to the season. "Prior to" covers a lot of ground. On Tuesday, we found out how much ground, as Bowles told reporters at the Senior Bowl he received word last January.

The specified timetable raises an important question:

Why didn't Bowles have a succession plan in place? There was enough time to bring aboard an heir apparent and groom him for a year. That would've made for an easy passing of the baton for all involved, particularly young quarterbacks Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty.

Just speculating here, but maybe Bowles didn't want to mess with the mojo after a successful offensive season in 2015. Maybe, if he did have his eye on someone outside the organization, he couldn't pry that person away from his team during the hiring cycle. Maybe he was hoping Kevin Patullo could ascend into the coordinator job. If that was the case, he miscalculated because he fired Gailey's handpicked quarterbacks coach as soon as the season ended.

Or maybe Bowles just wanted to break away from the Gailey system, which showed its imperfections in 2016. Sure, it clicked the year before, helping to revive quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick's career, but it all fell apart. Now the Jets will move on from Fitzpatrick, and perhaps Bowles doesn't believe the system -- even if coached by someone other than Gailey -- is right for the Jets in the post-Fitz era.

But this isn't just a Fitz thing. Remember, Bowles hired Gailey before Fitzpatrick came along, so he had nothing to do with Bowles' original conviction in Gailey. Bowles knew what he was getting in terms of the coach and his ideology. He wasn't just picking a coordinator -- he was setting an offensive course for his team. Now, two years later, he wants to change, a growth-stunting decision.

Some might applaud Bowles for having the onions to change direction on the fly, especially as he prepares to enter a make-or-break season. Thing is, if he had set it up better two years ago, he wouldn't be in this situation. Did he really think a Gailey-to-Patullo transfer would work? Patullo had no experience as a primary position coach before joining the Jets.

Enough history. What matters now is the replacement. Now it's up to Bowles, who probably is out of mulligans.

just because moron manish doesn't report it doesn't mean it's not true.  the jets have been pretty closed mouth when it comes to making moves probably to keep the mouths like manish or costello, or cimini from making these stupid scoops.  someone really needs to shove manish in a locker like todd did to serby.

1 hour ago, NYDreamer said:

Could be.  Just found something else that was interesting.  Karl Dorrel worked with Todd Bowles when Bowles was interim head coach in Miami as well.

Yup...QB coach when Bowles took over as HC for the fired Sparano late in the season.

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Better question?

Where do you guys get that he hasn't interviewed anyone and how the hell do you know who has been offered, accepted or turned down the job?

You don't is the answer.

Better, better question:

Why do you extrapolate 1 persons commentary into "you guys"? 

Follow-up to better, better question:

Are you going to answer with insults?

6 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I think it's Daboll. They can't hire him until after the Super Bowl.

Only happens if his contract is up. No way Belicheat is going to let him interview for Jets? If you haven't noticed Bill has a special hate for the NYJ. Only way he lets him go is if he thinks hiring him as OC hurts the Jets.

7 hours ago, munchmemory said:

"I'm pretty sure where I'm going," Bowles told Hughes."

I do, too.  Fired after this upcoming season.  

This....

This whole charade is embarrassing, we all know where we will be at this time next year.

1 hour ago, 20andOut said:

Only happens if his contract is up. No way Belicheat is going to let him interview for Jets? If you haven't noticed Bill has a special hate for the NYJ. Only way he lets him go is if he thinks hiring him as OC hurts the Jets.

He can quit. If he knows the job is his, then there's no risk in him quitting and taking it.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

He can quit. If he knows the job is his, then there's no risk in him quitting and taking it.

Not exactly. You can quit and stay home or go be a mailman, but if there were years remaining on the contract you can't go work for another NFL team.

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Better, better question:

Why do you extrapolate 1 persons commentary into "you guys"? 

Follow-up to better, better question:

Are you going to answer with insults?

Better question, who asked you?  You guys, more than one.  Nothing wrong with it.  I know it's beyond you.  Or it's right up your alley.

36 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Better question, who asked you?  You guys, more than one.  Nothing wrong with it.  I know it's beyond you.  Or it's right up your alley.

To attribute 1 persons comment to anonymous additional folks is symptomatic of your insecure delusions. I guess you're right... nothing wrong with it, from the stand point if it should be expected from you.

32 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

To attribute 1 persons comment to anonymous additional folks is symptomatic of your insecure delusions. I guess you're right... nothing wrong with it, from the stand point if it should be expected from you.

No, its not.  

Insecure?  Lol, you're the poster boy,for insecure posters.  Have more fantasy rules that you think others should follow? 

Hopefully he is a run heavy OC. The success of the Sanchez era was due all to the oline and defense. Until we get a franchise qb we need to build the oline and play that smash mouth run the ball down your throat kind of offense. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

No, its not.  

Insecure?  Lol, you're the poster boy,for insecure posters.  Have more fantasy rules that you think others should follow? 

This probably seemed like a good come back to you. Had to say something. Try to look on top of it with rubber/glue babble... knowing that if you pop off the way you want, you'll prove me right again.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

This probably seemed like a good come back to you. Had to say something. Try to look on top of it with rubber/glue babble... knowing that if you pop off the way you want, you'll prove me right again.

You keep insisting that I'll do things that never happen.  It's what you do.  No one is popping off.  But you just keep coming back with the same tired story again and again.  

Youre too easy.  Really

3 hours ago, SR24 said:

Hopefully he is a run heavy OC. The success of the Sanchez era was due all to the oline and defense. Until we get a franchise qb we need to build the oline and play that smash mouth run the ball down your throat kind of offense. 

Hopefully we find that franchise QB.  One that doesn't limit us the way Sanchez did.  May be too hard to go further relying on 70's style football.  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Hopefully we find that franchise QB.  One that doesn't limit us the way Sanchez did.  May be too hard to go further relying on 70's style football.  

True but hopefully Mac has the balls to sell whatever it takes to draft Darnold next year

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

You keep insisting that I'll do things that never happen.  It's what you do.  No one is popping off.  But you just keep coming back with the same tired story again and again.  

Youre too easy.  Really

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre too easy.  Really

Dupe posts an hour apart. I've seen the Matrix trilogy. I know what this means.

Archived