Kevin Greene OLB Coach

KRL

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first read about the Jets signing Greene I wasn't really all that excited for a couple of reasons.  Because a guy was a great player, and he was, doesn't mean he'll be a good coach.  He's been away from the game a few years was wondering where his mind was.

The more I thought about it, the more I liked the hire. IMO One of the main problems with the Jets D last year was they emulated the HC.  No emotion.   When Greene played, he was borderline psycho. lol.   The guy played with a lot of emotion.  Got a feeling none of his LB'ers are going to be dogging it.    That's got to be a good thing.

13 minutes ago, flgreen said:

When I first read about the Jets signing Greene I wasn't really all that excited for a couple of reasons.  Because a guy was a great player, and he was, doesn't mean he'll be a good coach.  He's been away from the game a few years was wondering where his mind was.

The more I thought about it, the more I liked the hire. IMO One of the main problems with the Jets D last year was they emulated the HC.  No emotion.   When Greene played, he was borderline psycho. lol.   The guy played with a lot of emotion.  Got a feeling none of his LB'ers are going to be dogging it.    That's got to be a good thing.

Agreed ... Read KRL's article's he linked in and they give weight to Greene being a good coach as well ... Def was nice to hear!

8 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Older, slower and will make too much money for what he will bring ?  Jets need to continue adding speed to the defense, not money .  

Perry's all of 27 next season and one of the more athletic 3-4 OLBs out there. He'd instantly be this team's top outside pass rusher and the most athletic LB. I'm not even saying they should sign him, that's a whole other conversation, but that he makes the team older and slower should not be on the list of reasons to pass. 

Kevin Greene hired as Jets outside linebackers coach

Kevin Greene finished his 15-year playing career third on the all-time sacks list (160).

Kevin Greene finished his 15-year playing career third on the all-time sacks list (160).

(MIKE ROEMER/AP)

The Jets added some Hall of Fame clout to their coaching staff.

Todd Bowles hired former sack artist Kevin Greene to be their outside linebackers coach.

Greene, a five-time Pro Bowler and three-time first-team All-Pro, spent five seasons as the Packers outside linebackers coach before resigning after the 2013 season to spend more time with his family. Greene told Green Bay at the time that he wanted to spent time with his sons until they finished high school.

Greene, who finished his 15-year playing career third on the all-time sacks list (160), was enshrined into Canton last year.

He will replace Mark Collins, who was one of several coaches fired by Bowles after a 5-11 season.

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fwiw, while I'm certainly not saying his players don't fully respect him, I don't get the feeling Belichick hoots and hollers.

He doesn't, and I've said a million times that players should be self-starters.  They shouldn't rely on coaches to get them fired up.  However. Bowles is borderline comatose out there.  I like the idea of somebody on the staff who commands respect showing a bit of emotion.  

Bowles gave it a shot last season, but it was too late.  Season was over and players knew it was out of desperation...looked like some of the guys he was yelling at weren't even looking at him.

On 1/27/2017 at 10:20 PM, Beerfish said:

Yeah it is the fault of the general.  And yes it is up to coaches to know how to get players to give their best all the time.  Some you praise some you kick in the ass some you punish, some you wave dollar signs in front of their face.  Some players you just prepare and they 'get it' and will do their job.  The Jets had guys loafing, being late for meetings and constantly 'missing assignments'.

Coaching is not all X's an O's and people skills are just as important.

Looking back, this was supposed to be one of Bowles' strengths when he was hired, but still saw plenty of guys taking plays off to go along with skipping meetings.

Archived