Draft:

1. CB Jalen Tabor

2. OL Forrest Lamp 

3. QB Mason Rudolph 

4. RB James Conner 

5. OLB Vince Biegel 

6. TE Cole Hikuti 

7. OLB Dante Booker 

the positional needs seem about right.  forte is guaranteed through next year so we'll be seeing him and powell in the backfield.  i'm not so sure aboutlogan ryan.  the jets can re-sign marcus williams and have a more talented corner.  ryan gets burned unless he's allowed to face guard. i really hope they can trade down a few spots and then take a corner or Lt. revis has to be in there somewhere.  the jets would be foolish to think revis will come back strong without some serious committments.

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Pretty sure they've already restructured Skrine once, too. I don't get any of it. Skrine is bad. 

skrine isn't bad he's badly coached.  he was out of position the whole season and a 5-9 guy just isn't going to have an easy time against the bigger receivers.  he was brought in to go against the small slot guys like edelman and amendola.

21 minutes ago, rangerous said:

skrine isn't bad he's badly coached.  he was out of position the whole season and a 5-9 guy just isn't going to have an easy time against the bigger receivers.  he was brought in to go against the small slot guys like edelman and amendola.

Nah. He was in the slot almost all last season and he was still garbage. He was garbage in Cleveland too. He's not a good slot corner or outside corner. Just look at the numbers. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Nah. He was in the slot almost all last season and he was still garbage. He was garbage in Cleveland too. He's not a good slot corner or outside corner. Just look at the numbers. 

i don't want to belabor this anymore.  imo skrine can be effective if he's coached properly and stays in his position.  the whole secondary was a mess last season and most of it falls on coaching.  hopefully bowles is bringing in the right guys and hopefully bowles has learned about his own role.

11 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'm not a big fan of these grades and stats, but I have always felt skrine doesn't "cover" he "chases" and my nickname for him is skrub

In terms of his signing with the Jets, though, Michael Renner of Pro Football Focus is not a fan:

"This one didn't make sense at the time, but made even less sense after the Jets signed Antonio Cromartie for an even more lucrative deal just days later. Performance aside, they paid Skrine the 15th-most guaranteed money (four-year, $25m, $13m guaranteed) of any cornerback in the league to come in and be the Jets' nickel corner. That's bad business from the outset."

Still, like I said above, it seemed Skrine was getting better during his time with the Browns. He was a penalty flag-in-waiting at times, but he played hurt and seemed to play well for a guy who was supposed to be a nickelback, right?

Right?

"The fifth-year cornerback was the weak link in the Browns' secondary ever since he was thrust into the nickelback role in 2012. Skrine was promoted to starter in 2013 and turned in overall grades of -12.1 and -6.3 in the two subsequent seasons. He's simply been a below-average player over the course of his career, and even though he has played slot corner, he's never stood out."

Well, that's a cold shower.

Say what you will about the Browns' philosophy in free agency, but it's clear that they weren't going to overpay and they weren't going to be aggressive. They said as much. Letting Skrine walk fits that bill. Pro Football Focus, at least, sees that as addition by subtraction.

30 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't want to belabor this anymore.  imo skrine can be effective if he's coached properly and stays in his position.  the whole secondary was a mess last season and most of it falls on coaching.  hopefully bowles is bringing in the right guys and hopefully bowles has learned about his own role.

I wouldn't want you to have to defend your position after finding out you're wrong either. Saves us both a lot of time. 

20 hours ago, mattyb said:

Release:

OT Breno Giacomini [$5.3 Million]

ILB Erin Henderson [$3 Million]

RB Matt Forte [$5 Million]

K Nick Folk [$3.6 Million]

FS Marcus Gilchrist - cut he is not worth it

LT Ryan Clady - to injury prone and there are other FA available. 

Restructure:

CB Buster Skrine [25% Restructure]

C Nick Mangold [10% Restructure]

K Nick Folk (25% restructure - he is worth keepin)

ILB David Harris [25% Restructure]

Key Free Agent Signings:

QB - Mike Glennon - pass 

OLB - Nick Perry 

CB - Logan Ryan

RB - Rex Burkhead 

Draft:

1. CB Jalen Tabor

2. OL Forrest Lamp 

3. QB Mason Rudolph 

4. RB James Conner 

5. OLB Vince Biegel