Jets 3 Round Mock that seemed decent

UnknownJetFan

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/247sports-three-round-new-york-jets-mock-draft/

Here are our first three potential selection for the Jets at the NFL Draft this spring ...

(1st) No. 6

LEONARD FOURNETTE, RB, LSU

6-foot-1, 230 pounds

The Jets still have Matt Forte and Bilal Powell heading the rotation, but Forte is past 30 and ended last year on IR while Powell is just two years his junior. They’ll need a young back to head off those concerns and also to give whomever their young, inexperienced quarterback will end up being. Fournette is a physical ball carrier through the tackles, scoring 40 touchdowns over three seasons in Baton Rouge on 3,830 total yards.

(2nd) No. 39

ANTONIO GARCIA, OT, TROY

6-foot-6, 290 pounds

Offensive tackle remains a position of need for the Jets, who are likely to part with Ryan Clady to the left and are not settled to the right, though got a good initial showing from rookie Brandon Shell in three games. As a collegian, Garcia didn’t allow a sack on over 900 offensive snaps on a line that ranked first in fewest sacks allowed nationally. He’s quick off the snap and has the reach to ward off edge rushers.

(3rd) No. 70

QUINCY WILSON, CB, FLORIDA

6-foot-1, 213 pounds

Darrelle Revis is either leaving the team or, somewhat less likely, will be moved to safety, opening up at least one corner for the Jets. In selecting Wilson, they would acquire a player with proven coverage and ball-tracking skills. He recorded 33 tackles in his final collegiate season, breaking up six passes, and intercepting three more (the SEC’s fourth most), including a 78-yard return for a touchdown.

These picks address needs and seem like good choices at those selections. Now with the baggage they are saying about RB Cook, if we have to chose between the RBs I'd say stay away from Cook. And though WR Williams could be there we have much more young depth at WR than we do at RB. We get these 3 and it greatly helps the O at OL and RB and the secondary at CB.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/247sports-three-round-new-york-jets-mock-draft/

Here are our first three potential selection for the Jets at the NFL Draft this spring ...

(1st) No. 6

LEONARD FOURNETTE, RB, LSU

6-foot-1, 230 pounds

The Jets still have Matt Forte and Bilal Powell heading the rotation, but Forte is past 30 and ended last year on IR while Powell is just two years his junior. They’ll need a young back to head off those concerns and also to give whomever their young, inexperienced quarterback will end up being. Fournette is a physical ball carrier through the tackles, scoring 40 touchdowns over three seasons in Baton Rouge on 3,830 total yards.

(2nd) No. 39

ANTONIO GARCIA, OT, TROY

6-foot-6, 290 pounds

Offensive tackle remains a position of need for the Jets, who are likely to part with Ryan Clady to the left and are not settled to the right, though got a good initial showing from rookie Brandon Shell in three games. As a collegian, Garcia didn’t allow a sack on over 900 offensive snaps on a line that ranked first in fewest sacks allowed nationally. He’s quick off the snap and has the reach to ward off edge rushers.

(3rd) No. 70

QUINCY WILSON, CB, FLORIDA

6-foot-1, 213 pounds

Darrelle Revis is either leaving the team or, somewhat less likely, will be moved to safety, opening up at least one corner for the Jets. In selecting Wilson, they would acquire a player with proven coverage and ball-tracking skills. He recorded 33 tackles in his final collegiate season, breaking up six passes, and intercepting three more (the SEC’s fourth most), including a 78-yard return for a touchdown.

These picks address needs and seem like good choices at those selections. Now with the baggage they are saying about RB Cook, if we have to chose between t5he RBs I'd say stay away from cook. And though WR Williams could be there we have much more young depth at WR than we do at RB. We get these 3 and it greatly helps the O at OL and RB and the secondary at CB.

The first two picks are fine but there is no way Wilson makes it to our 3rd pick. He most likely won't even be on the board for their second pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

36 minutes ago, pointman said:

He's a beast. I don't know how I feel about taking a RB with our 1st pick though.

Fournette is not a RB - he's a MLB who can run the ball.  Remember the monster rb from KC Okoye.  Fournette will be a nightmare to tackle.  

I know many feel this is a bad OT draft, but we need to nab a LT Prospect in rounds 2-4 (Hopefully we get a comp pick at 4 for Snacks loss) and maybe a C somewhere in the draft. We need these 2 OL in 2017 and probably another couple in the 2018 draft, This will enable the Oline to build and serve to assist our running game that needs to be very good going forward to have any chance and to aid any QB we have starting that is probably going to be an average QB at best.

If we're going for skill position players, I'd rather take Mike Williams than a RB.  If not then I'd go best pass rusher or CB depending on BPA.  Ideally it would be nice to trade down and stockpile picks, but I don't think that's possible/realistic. 

Williams is fine if they think he is the better draft prospect than Fournette. As long as we start getting playmakers on O. Look at Atlanta's O and how many playmakers they have. That is the biggest reason why they are in the SB, and of course that Matt Ryan finally has put it all together.

2 hours ago, Powpow said:

Fournette is not a RB - he's a MLB who can run the ball.  Remember the monster rb from KC Okoye.  Fournette will be a nightmare to tackle.  

So he is worth the 6th overall pick, since he can replace Lee and play some iron-man football and cover a tight end, since Lee couldn't cover a hot dog with mustard. 

Did a Fanspeak sim Draft - here are my picks.

My dad had a sh*tty car. I used to tell him this car sucks. He'd say"this is the best car. You know why? Because its MY CAR!"  It took me awhile to understand his point. 

6: R1P6
S JAMAL ADAMS
LSU
39: R2P7
OT CAM ROBINSON
ALABAMA
70: R3P6
CB CHIDOBE AWUZLE
COLORADO
136: R4P31
CB FABIAN MOREAU
UCLA
151: R5P6
RB BRIAN HILL
WYOMING
192: R6P7
TE COLE HIKUTINI
LOUISVILLE
227: R7P6
EDGE DARIUS ENGLISH
SOUTH CAROLINA

22 minutes ago, pointman said:

So he is worth the 6th overall pick, since he can replace Lee and play some iron-man football and cover a tight end, since Lee couldn't cover a hot dog with mustard. 

Multifaceted.  Didn't think of that. Well done.

3 hours ago, pointman said:

Since we're on the subject, I don't think I would be unhappy with the Alabama ILB, Reuben Foster, as the choice at 6 either.

im sure picking foster would be a trade down scenario, but if he IS the teams target, I would not be unhappy. 

43 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

This would be a great start, IMO.

fournette is exciting, but I'm feeling his career will be short and injury-riddled.

This whole short career thing for RB's is overblown.  A RB is a day one starter, unlike most other positions on both sides of the ball who have to be brought onto to field incrementally.  Getting a solid 4 years out of a first round draft pick would be a step in the right direction for our hapless Jets franchise.      

7 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

CrazyCarl40, we desperately need playmakers on O, and if they deem none of these QBs are worth picking (assuming any are there at 6) then we need someone on O to help any QB we have in there. If this RB ended up being like Elliot in Dallas none of us could complain.

I would hope they'd have a better grasp on how to handle Forte and Powell before they drafted an injury prone running back at 6. They can still get a play making running back in the 3rd or 4th round. Lots of teams do it. It's cheaper and smarter. Period. No sense in comparing the Jets situation to Dallas either. It's not even close.  

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

This whole short career thing for RB's is overblown.  A RB is a day one starter, unlike most other positions on both sides of the ball who have to be brought onto to field incrementally.  Getting a solid 4 years out of a first round draft pick would be a step in the right direction for our hapless Jets franchise.      

You think that Fournette would be a day one starter? Neither Powell or Forte are going anywhere and Bowles is committed to his vets time in and time out. They can get a day one starter at running back in many later rounds. It's pretty common. Drafting a running back in the first round is bad business. 

2 hours ago, Shadetree said:

fournette is exciting, but I'm feeling his career will be short and injury-riddled.

This to me would hit the draft on the head.  Kills 3 birds with one stone. Draft them and cut a Breno, Clady and Gilcrist.

2 hours ago, Shadetree said:

Agree. I ran this 3 times and Robinson fell to us in round 2. If indeed he falls that far it's a no brainer we tag him. Adams however is a stud and might be scooped up by Jags or Titans. I'm all in for a trade back if Adams is gone. Grab an extra pick and add it to OL or secondary. Thanks Mac. 

Things that would make me puke, ranked:

1. Drafting a safety at 6.

2. Drafting a corner at 6.

3. Drafting a DL at 6.

4. Drafting an ILB at 6.

Things that I'd raise an eyebrow about, but kinda secretly approve of:

1. Drafting Watson at 6.

2. Drafting Fournette or Cook at 6.

3. Drafting Tim Williams at 6.

4. Dumping the six for a 2018 first and second.

What they should do:

1. Dump Marshall, Decker, Revis, Giacomini, Gilchrist, and Hackenberg. If you can reap a single fourth round pick for any of that morass, do it.

2. Draft Mike Williams.

3. Draft a tackle.

4. Draft speed in rounds 3-7.

5. Wait.

3 hours ago, Shadetree said:

yeah I have read he seeks contact and loves contact.  if true, that's not smart at the next level

it used to be that the one sure way to help an offense was to draft an elite runnin back.  but that era came and is gone.  there are tons of very good backs out there but not a one can go anywhere without the oline blocking. considering the jets, until they get there oline figured out and settled there's just about no point to drafting fournette or any back with the 1st pick.  better for them to get a revis replacement or superior olineman with their tops picks and then move on down through Lb, etc.  at 6-1 the cb in the  mock has good size and would be a great 3rd round pick.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

it used to be that the one sure way to help an offense was to draft an elite runnin back.  but that era came and is gone.  there are tons of very good backs out there but not a one can go anywhere without the oline blocking. considering the jets, until they get there oline figured out and settled there's just about no point to drafting fournette or any back with the 1st pick.  better for them to get a revis replacement or superior olineman with their tops picks and then move on down through Lb, etc.  at 6-1 the cb in the  mock has good size and would be a great 3rd round pick.

As constructed now the Jets actually do have a good run blocking OL.  It's the pass protection that is a bit suspect.   

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Things that would make me puke, ranked:

1. Drafting a safety at 6.

2. Drafting a corner at 6.

3. Drafting a DL at 6.

4. Drafting an ILB at 6.

Things that I'd raise an eyebrow about, but kinda secretly approve of:

1. Drafting Watson at 6.

2. Drafting Fournette or Cook at 6.

3. Drafting Tim Williams at 6.

4. Dumping the six for a 2018 first and second.

What they should do:

1. Dump Marshall, Decker, Revis, Giacomini, Gilchrist, and Hackenberg. If you can reap a single fourth round pick for any of that morass, do it.

2. Draft Mike Williams.

3. Draft a tackle.

4. Draft speed in rounds 3-7.

5. Wait.

I get this in principle, but if Malik Hooker runs like Earl Thomas and they pass on him for a ******* running back, I will set myself on fire.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I get this in principle, but if Malik Hooker runs like Earl Thomas and they pass on him for a ******* running back, I will set myself on fire.

Think of how good a free safety would have to be to worth the #6 pick, though. He'd have to be Ronnie Lott.

Archived