Jets 3 Round Mock that seemed decent

UnknownJetFan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

As constructed now the Jets actually do have a good run blocking OL.  It's the pass protection that is a bit suspect.   

yes and no.  they have the guys with the beef in carpenter, mangold or johnson, and winters but the tackles are still shakey.  if clady come back and shell continues to progress then they could be a pretty good oline.

one other observation is if they did use the 6 pick for fournette then they would have about 12 million allocated to the rb position.  they can keep on having lopsided allocations to positions (up to a point)  until they get a very good qb.

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Think of how good a free safety would have to be to worth the #6 pick, though. He'd have to be Ronnie Lott.

This offense is so awful and so much has already been used in terms of draft choices on the D side, it would be criminal not to get some offensive skill and some OL help in the early rounds. 

10 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

What if he's Eric Berry? You'd take five years of Leonard Fournette over that?

I loveeeee the safety position and don't think you can win without good safety play. That said, I'd take Le'veon Bell over any two safeties in the league. Let Awesome DB Supercoach Todd Bowles make do with Revis and Pryor.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I loveeeee the safety position and don't think you can win without good safety play. That said, I'd take Le'veon Bell over any two safeties in the league. Let Awesome DB Supercoach Todd Bowles make do with Revis and Pryor.

Bell was a second round pick. 

The Jets have plenty of workable offensive weapons with a legitimate QB. 

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

This offense is so awful and so much has already been used in terms of draft choices on the D side, it would be criminal not to get some offensive skill and some OL help in the early rounds. 

This is true. Consider that the most important position in football are QB, CB1, OLT, C, and edge rusher. Then consider the players we have on the roster manning those positions.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is bonkers.

If Bowles can't make the defense work with the ample pieces he has there, then he should be fired immediately. We know he can't do a ******* thing with the offense, so I'm willing to dump resources on that side of the ball in an attempt to make it passable. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Bowles can't make the defense work with the ample pieces he has there, then he should be fired immediately. We know he can't do a ******* thing with the offense, so I'm willing to dump resources on that side of the ball in an attempt to make it passable. 

Bowles is getting fired in eleven months, so he doesn't enter into the equation. Drafting a running back at 6 would be dumping resources in the most literal sense of the term.

With the way this draft looks, if Mac uses his head he can draft at least 3 major and instant contributors to the Jets, particularly on defense.

Drafting a QB potentially messes that up, but they need to find a QB somewhere.  I predict there will be an interesting QB available in the second round.  Remember that Geno of the Spread Offense was predicted to be a top 10 pick, and he was there for the Jets in the second round.  Mahones, Webb, maybe others.  So that would be 2 early contributors.

I can see Watson dropping for that reason, he being a college style QB.  Trubiskey and Kizer are perceived to have more pro style skills today.

But to the points others have made, look at the franchise tag numbers per position.  The higher ones are more valuable to draft, since they are expensive to sign or retain.  

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Bowles is getting fired in eleven months, so he doesn't enter into the equation. Drafting a running back at 6 would be dumping resources in the most literal sense of the term.

Aren't you supposed to be moving to London Mr Johnson ?  

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Things that would make me puke, ranked:

1. Drafting a safety at 6.

2. Drafting a corner at 6.

3. Drafting a DL at 6.

4. Drafting an ILB at 6.

Things that I'd raise an eyebrow about, but kinda secretly approve of:

1. Drafting Watson at 6.

2. Drafting Fournette or Cook at 6.

3. Drafting Tim Williams at 6.

4. Dumping the six for a 2018 first and second.

What they should do:

1. Dump Marshall, Decker, Revis, Giacomini, Gilchrist, and Hackenberg. If you can reap a single fourth round pick for any of that morass, do it.

2. Draft Mike Williams.

3. Draft a tackle.

4. Draft speed in rounds 3-7.

5. Wait.

4 please with Captain Kangaroo's eyebrow raised to the heavens and in the distance we hear ,"Saaaaaaaaaaaam,, SaaaaaaaaaaM, SaaaaaaaaAAAAAM, SAAAAAAAAAM!!!!!!'

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is another angle here.  If Macc and Bowles are on the hot seat, they will draft players who will win them games in 2017.  

Of all of the positions they can draft, RB would be the one that will win them the most games early in 2017, if they sign someone who can play QB, at least in the short-term, for likely too much money.

You can look at the veterans who could be cut the same way.  Who is potentially saving Macc and Bowles their jobs?  Revis at S?  Likely not?  Marshall-if he causes problems, the other way around.   Harris, Mangold and Clady if healthy?  Yes.  Gilcrist?  Likely not, particularly if they sign the S from the Cardinals.

So if they sign a S and a QB (like a Taylor or Glennon), cut half the veterans on the bubble, and draft a RB, edge, CB, they start to put together a 500ish football team that excites the fanbase, fills the stadium and saves the jobs.

Championship?  Not really.

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Disagree. Not saying Fornette is ideal,  but the offense is a joke. Would rather a franchise QB or a solid LT, but a monster RB could certainly help if the think he is that.

Suspect right now there are 2 to perhaps 4 offenses if you  include graduating seniors in the SEC who would be approaching the Jets' offense in competitiveness if you swapped them wholesale  right now. DOn't think it's a joke to say if you took the Georgia or Bama  or Ole Miss or LSU offenses with their OCs would be at least as competitive as the Jets' in 2016. And sadly we have a moron HC who will again subcontract out the offense to who ever the new OC is. Not sure it can be overstated; this Bowles CS could be the most woeful in terms of Jets offense since perhaps the dark days of injured/post-Namath  mid-1970s; worse than Herman Edwards  and Rex Ryan. The guy doesn't even bother to pretend he has anything to do with nor say in the offense. Really at a loss organizationally how this franchise knowingly keeps doing this. 

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is another angle here.  If Macc and Bowles are on the hot seat, they will draft players who will win them games in 2017.  

Of all of the positions they can draft, RB would be the one that will win them the most games early in 2017, if they sign someone who can play QB, at least in the short-term, for likely too much money.

You can look at the veterans who could be cut the same way.  Who is potentially saving Macc and Bowles their jobs?  Revis at S?  Likely not?  Marshall-if he causes problems, the other way around.   Harris, Mangold and Clady if healthy?  Yes.  Gilcrist?  Likely not, particularly if they sign the S from the Cardinals.

So if they sign a S and a QB (like a Taylor or Glennon), cut half the veterans on the bubble, and draft a RB, edge, CB, they start to put together a 500ish football team that excites the fanbase, fills the stadium and saves the jobs.

Championship?  Not really.

You're missing something very big here organizationally. Despite all the happytalk, Maccagnan and Bowles may both work at Florham Park, but they report to ownership independently. Hard to fire another GM 3 years in, but a coach, that can be done. Maccagnan probably has incentive to think more longterm than Bowles, who has one foot put the door and another on a banana peel. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

With the way this draft looks, if Mac uses his head he can draft at least 3 major and instant contributors to the Jets, particularly on defense.

Drafting a QB potentially messes that up, but they need to find a QB somewhere.  I predict there will be an interesting QB available in the second round.  Remember that Geno of the Spread Offense was predicted to be a top 10 pick, and he was there for the Jets in the second round.  Mahones, Webb, maybe others.  So that would be 2 early contributors.

I can see Watson dropping for that reason, he being a college style QB.  Trubiskey and Kizer are perceived to have more pro style skills today.

But to the points others have made, look at the franchise tag numbers per position.  The higher ones are more valuable to draft, since they are expensive to sign or retain.  

Okay but where would that QB fit into our current group?  I can't imagine Hack is going to do much next year.  The coaches seemed very hesitant to put Petty in there.  You're suggesting we're going to draft another project QB?  Are we then going to sign a veteran and use Petty as a backup (that our CS doesn't seem to trust) next year?  And our #3 and #4 QBs will be true projects?

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Things that would make me puke, ranked:

1. Drafting a safety at 6.

2. Drafting a corner at 6.

3. Drafting a DL at 6.

4. Drafting an ILB at 6.

Things that I'd raise an eyebrow about, but kinda secretly approve of:

1. Drafting Watson at 6.

2. Drafting Fournette or Cook at 6.

3. Drafting Tim Williams at 6.

4. Dumping the six for a 2018 first and second.

What they should do:

1. Dump Marshall, Decker, Revis, Giacomini, Gilchrist, and Hackenberg. If you can reap a single fourth round pick for any of that morass, do it.

2. Draft Mike Williams.

3. Draft a tackle.

4. Draft speed in rounds 3-7.

5. Wait.

Are you so against drafting a CB at #6 because you don't think the talent there is worthy of such a high pick?  Or are you just sick of the team investing resources in the secondary (the one we rebuilt w/ a huge spending spree 2 years ago that completely fell apart last year).  Or maybe you're just against another 1st round pick on the defensive side of the ball?

Honestly I think we need a CB (though I have no idea if the ones coming out this year are worth #6 overall).

My ideal scenario would be "Dumping the six for a 2018 first and second".  It would make us more likely to win the Darnold sweepstakes next year.  And even if we didn't, it would give us ammunition to trade up for it (assuming that were possible).

As of right now, I think we're going to end up drafting Watson.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Burn Baby Burn

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

This team has way to many holes to worry about using top picks for specific positions whether it be offense or defense. Get BPA at desperately needed position and don't reach for that position.  Also, the draft is deep in RB's so that can wait until later.  Re-establishing the talent on this team will take time, smart picks and FA signings that hit the mark.  Our OL and secondary is shot.  On top of that, we don't even have a QB or one that we can have hope in.  This is going to take time and patience.  With that said, I don't reach for an OL like Robison at 6 or a Cook or Fortette when our OL is a mess.  CB's are also deep in this draft as well.  Problem with this draft is there is just no one player standing out that would be a no-brainer for us to take. Safety, OL, CB's should be the focus of our early picks.  Adams, Hooker, Adoree Jackson, Davenport, Cam Robinson, Lewis, players like this should be the focus of our early picks.           

Well the way this draft is looks I would love to trade down and pick-up an extra pick either this year or next year. There are so many holes on this team stockpiling picks is the way to go IMHO. I love Williams but lets face it he has Tennessee written all over him. A guy I really think can contribute next season is Corey Davis from Western Michigan. I watched him play quite a bit and he has great hands and knows what do with the ball after the catch. He is projected to go anywhere in the first 3 rounds. I would love to trade down in the first and get an extra pick in the 2nd or third this year.

3 hours ago, Powpow said:

This team has way to many holes to worry about using top picks for specific positions whether it be offense or defense. Get BPA at desperately needed position and don't reach for that position.  Also, the draft is deep in RB's so that can wait until later.  Re-establishing the talent on this team will take time, smart picks and FA signings that hit the mark.  Our OL and secondary is shot.  On top of that, we don't even have a QB or one that we can have hope in.  This is going to take time and patience.  With that said, I don't reach for an OL like Robison at 6 or a Cook or Fortette when our OL is a mess.  CB's are also deep in this draft as well.  Problem with this draft is there is just no one player standing out that would be a no-brainer for us to take. Safety, OL, CB's should be the focus of our early picks.  Adams, Hooker, Adoree Jackson, Davenport, Cam Robinson, Lewis, players like this should be the focus of our early picks.           

Won't pretend to be a draftnik. But 2 things stand out about this team to me specifically about the Jets and the NFL generally;

1. Defenses, even the best ones. fail. May be only once or twice a game, but the rules favor offense. Grant you the jets defense was awful. But its also fair to note it's stocked with lots of top draft picks and free agents making serious cap $. And part of it sucking was it was on the field all day in part b c of a 3 and out offense. But again, the jets keep sinking resources into the defense and get nowhere. Why does anyoen think doing more of the same is gonna work? 

2. Winning NFL teams pass the ball effectively. The Jets do not. In a fact the CS acts like it's not even important. This should be unacceptable, instead it's standard operating procedure. 

We keep drafting safeties and corners and DL guys and LBs and pretend you can patch together an offense. We root for a team that overvalues defense at the expense of offense.This has to stop.  

30 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Won't pretend to be a draftnik. But 2 things stand out about this team to me specifically about the Jets and the NFL generally;

1. Defenses, even the best ones. fail. May be only once or twice a game, but the rules favor offense. Grant you the jets defense was awful. But its also fair to note it's stocked with lots of top draft picks and free agents making serious cap $. And part of it sucking was it was on the field all day in part b c of a 3 and out offense. But again, the jets keep sinking resources into the defense and get nowhere. Why does anyoen think doing more of the same is gonna work? 

2. Winning NFL teams pass the ball effectively. The Jets do not. In a fact the CS acts like it's not even important. This should be unacceptable, instead it's standard operating procedure. 

We keep drafting safeties and corners and DL guys and LBs and pretend you can patch together an offense. We root for a team that overvalues defense at the expense of offense.This has to stop.  

Get a QB and everything on offense is instantly better. There are lots of weapons at the Jets disposal. The defense has no pass rush or secondary of which to speak. That should be the focus, not luxury positions. 

Archived