Schefter: Jets to hire John Morton as their OC: MERGED

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Via cimini

Have to believe new OC John Morton will employ system that blends Payton's passing attack, Harbaugh's power-run game. His mentors. #Jets

Bowles attracted to Morton b/o Payton influence, West Coast offense, will use the TE, I'm told. Also hearing Bowles w/b more involved in O.

im sure the many experts on here will break this down with such quality analysis as: he sucks, over his head, 0-16. 

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

For sure, hope he does well. My point is about Bowles being in over his head.

We will see if you are right. Last year Bowles was awful IMO.   

Now whether that will be the case long term, again we will see, but Bowles has to improve or he won't be the Jets HC for long and I think that he knows this as well. 

All Jets fans ask for is meaningful progresss over a reasonable and measurable time frame.  

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

We will see if you are right. Last year Bowles was awful IMO.   

Now whether that will be the case long term, again we will see, but Bowles has to improve or he won't be the Jets HC for long and I think that he knows this as well. 

All Jets fans ask for is meaningful progresss over a reasonable and measurable time frame.  

Yes I believe he was in over his head last year.

But I think a 7-8 win season with progress from young players will suffice.

41 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Really thought it'd be somebody who had a QB background.

Why would they do that they don't have any QBs. This makes sense. Hire a WR guy and bring in a track and field coach instead of a QB coach. He can teach the wide receivers how to jump. :)

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Via cimini

Have to believe new OC John Morton will employ system that blends Payton's passing attack, Harbaugh's power-run game. His mentors. #Jets

Bowles attracted to Morton b/o Payton influence, West Coast offense, will use the TE, I'm told. Also hearing Bowles w/b more involved in O.

im sure the many experts on here will break this down with such quality analysis as: he sucks, over his head, 0-16. 

This is good news?  Oh boy

I've been bashing a a bunch of the guys they have been talking to, but I have a hard time bashing this hire. I don't care if he was just a WR coach. He was by Payton (who knows a little about offense) plus he was an OC for USC so at least he has experience calling plays. 

Given our situation at HC and QB, this is about as good of a hire as we could expect. 

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

InsideUSC (@InsideUSC)

1/18/11, 5:07 PM

USC assistant coach John Morton was often unpopular with players because of his tough style. A year ago, many hoped he would not be retained

Good!! 

Exactly. This team needs more tough coaches that won't let the players run the asylum. 

Morton.jpg

It looks like the Jets search for a new offensive coordinator might be over. The Jets originally interviewed Denver Broncos running backs coach Eric Studesville. Philadelphia Eagles QB coach coach John DeFilippo seemed like a good choice, but the Eagles wouldn’t let him interview. Former Texans offensive coordinator George Godsey was rumored to be in the mix as well, but nothing materialized there. Adam Schefter is reporting that the Jets have their man, current New Orleans Saints wide receivers coach John Morton.

Morton, who is 47, has coaching experience in the pro and college level. Like head coach Todd Bowles, he is also a former NFL player. From his bio on the Saints site.

PLAYING CAREER: Grand Rapids (Mich.) CC, 1989-90; Western Michigan, 1991-92; Toronto Argonauts (CFL), 1995-96; Frankfurt Galaxy (World League), 1997.

COACHING CAREER: Oakland Raiders, 1998-04; University of San Diego, 2005; New Orleans Saints, 2006; Southern California, 2007-10; San Francisco 49ers, 2011-14; New Orleans Saints, 2015-2017.

Morton rejoined the Saints in 2015, after serving as the club’s offensive assistant/passing game coach in 2006, when they advanced to the NFC Championship Game. His efforts with a youthful group that included Brandin Cooks, Willie Snead and Brandon Coleman resulted in significant development for the trio. Cooks led the team in most major receiving categories, making 84 grabs for 1,138 yards and nine touchdowns, as he reached the 1,000 yard mark for the first time. Through Morton’s help, the undrafted Snead made his NFL playing debut and recorded 69 receptions for 984 yards (14.3 avg.) with three touchdowns. The 6-6, 225-pound Coleman made significant strides in his first full NFL season, finishing with 30 catches for 454 yards (15.1 avg.) with two scoring grabs.

Morton was a part of a staff as wide receivers coach in San Francisco from 2011-14 that helped lead the 49ers to three appearances in the NFC Championship and a berth in Super Bowl XLVII. During his 49ers tenure, Morton’s top pupils were Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree.

At first glance  he has a nice resume and you have to like that he coached under both Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll. Those are two excellent mentors, but the question will be who are they hiring to be the QB coach? Morton doesn’t have that on his resume and with Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg being the only QBs on the roster, once the new league year starts, they will need someone that can work with young QBs.

You can read more about John Morton to the Jets in our forums. Here is a video of John Morton coaching back in his USC days.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
ijzuOhPFyDs

Click here to read the full story...

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

This interview:

Bowles: tell us about your philsoph...

Maccagnan: Can you head coach?

Bowles: What Mike means is, your development of Brandin C...

Maccagnan: Head Coaching. Are you ready? 

Why would anyone agree to work with that combination ?

This is about as good of a hire as we could expect.

This is a lame duck job. We'll win somewhere between 2-6 games this year, Bowles will be fired and the new coach will bring in his staff.

I didn't really understand all the interest in who will be the new OC, unless it was going to be a HC in waiting type 

2 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

This is about as good of a hire as we could expect.

This is a lame duck job. We'll win somewhere between 2-6 games this year, Bowles will be fired and the new coach will bring in his staff.

I didn't really understand all the interest in who will be the new OC, unless it was going to be a HC in waiting type 

Just maybe everyone is not  sitting around hoping that the Jets stink badly enough for Bowles to get fired .

Via latimes 2008  FYI  smith is currently Seattle QB coach 

Carroll is 87-15 (85.3%) in eight seasons at USC.

USC is 4-4 against Penn State, including a 14-3 victory over the Nittany Lions in the 1923 Rose Bowl.

Coordinated effort

Carroll met with receivers coach John Morton on Sunday to discuss the possibility of becoming offensive coordinator. After the Trojans' victory over UCLA on Saturday, Carroll said Morton was the front-runner to replace Steve Sarkisian, who is Washington's new head coach but will also remain with the Trojans through the Rose Bowl.

Morton, 39, worked for the Oakland Raiders from 1997 to 2004, coached at the University of San Diego in 2005 and worked on the New Orleans Saints' staff in 2006. He has been receivers coach at USC for two seasons.

"I've earned my stripes," Morton said, citing his experiences with head coaches Jon Gruden, Bill Callahan, Jim Harbaugh, Sean Payton and Carroll.

Morton's only experience calling plays came under Harbaugh at San Diego. He said he believes in a balanced offense and would not favor changes in the Trojans' scheme.

"There's a certain blueprint, a certain philosophy that they've had here for years," he said. "They've been successful doing it, I've learned it and there's no reason to change anything."

Carroll said there was no timetable for selecting Sarkisian's replacement. He also has spoken to former Trojans quarterbacks coach Carl Smith about rejoining the staff.

Archived