Schefter: Jets to hire John Morton as their OC: MERGED

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Morton, a 13-year NFL veteran who also coached at the collegiate level for five years, brings his expertise to tutor the Saints wideouts for a second season.

Morton rejoined the Saints in 2015, after serving as the club’s offensive assistant/passing game coach in 2006, when they advanced to the NFC Championship Game. His efforts with a youthful group that included Brandin Cooks, Willie Snead and Brandon Coleman resulted in significant development for the trio. Cooks led the team in most major receiving categories, making 84 grabs for 1,138 yards and nine touchdowns, as he reached the 1,000 yard mark for the first time. Through Morton’s help, the undrafted Snead made his NFL playing debut and recorded 69 receptions for 984 yards (14.3 avg.) with three touchdowns. The 6-6, 225-pound Coleman made significant strides in his first full NFL season, finishing with 30 catches for 454 yards (15.1 avg.) with two scoring grabs.

Morton was a part of a staff as wide receivers coach in San Francisco from 2011-14 that helped lead the 49ers to three appearances in the NFC Championship and a berth in Super Bowl XLVII. During his 49ers tenure, Morton’s top pupils were Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree.

The wide receiver corps continued to make strides under Morton’s supervision in 2014. Boldin led the 49ers in receptions (83) and receiving yards (1,062) and became just the fourth player in club history to have multiple 1,000-yard seasons with the 49ers and the first player to do so in his first two campaigns with the team. Crabtree finished second on the team with 68 receptions.

In 2013, Boldin set the franchise record for most receiving yards in a season-opener in his first game with the team after recording 208 yards vs. Green Bay. Boldin went on to register his sixth-career 1,000 yard season, his first since 2009. It marked the first time since 2002-03 that the 49ers had a 1,000 yard receiver in consecutive seasons.

In 2012, Crabtree became the first 49ers wide receiver to surpass the 1,000-yard mark since 2003, notching career highs in receptions (85), receiving yards (1,105) and touchdowns (nine). Under Morton’s direction in 2011, Crabtree led the team with then career-highs in both receptions (72) and receiving yards (874), while adding four touchdowns.

Morton spent the previous four years at the University of Southern California as the school’s wide receivers coach. He also held the position of the Trojans passing game coordinator from 2007-08 and 2010, while serving as the school’s offensive coordinator in 2009. Under Morton’s tutelage, WR Damien Williams earned All-Pac-10 first-team honors and along with WR Patrick Turner, was a third round pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Morton first worked under Jim Harbaugh at the University of San Diego as the passing game/wide receivers coach in 2005. That year, QB Josh Johnson set school records in completions (260), completion percentage (70.1) and passing yards (3,256), while WR Adam Hannula set a school record with 73 receptions.

From 1997-2004, Morton worked for the Oakland Raiders in several capacities. He began in the Raiders personnel department and then worked as an offensive assistant, coaching the wide receivers for two years (1998-99). Morton then became the offensive quality control coach in 2000 and again worked with the wide receivers until 2001. He was then elevated to senior offensive assistant/wide receivers coach in 2002, where he tutored a pair of Pro Football Hall of Fame wideouts - Jerry Rice, who earned Pro Bowl honors, and Tim Brown, on a team that earned a trip to the Super Bowl. Morton was later named the team’s tight ends coach in 2004.

Morton originally signed with the Raiders as an undrafted rookie wideout in 1993, and spent part of the next two seasons on their practice squad. He also spent time with the Green Bay Packers in 1993 and was in training camp with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 1995. Morton returned to training camp with the Raiders again in 1996. He played for the Canadian Football League’s Toronto Argonauts in 1995 and 1996, and later with the World League’s Frankfurt Galaxy in the spring of 1997.

Morton played at Western Michigan for two seasons (1991-92), where he left in 10th place on the school’s all-time receiving list (78 receptions) and eighth in receiving yards (1,278), earning All-Mid-American Conference honors as a senior in 1992. He later received a bachelor’s degree in general studies from Western Michigan in 1997. Morton came to Western Michigan after two years (1989-90) at Grand Rapids (Mich.) Community College, where he received his associate’s degree in 1990.

PLAYING CAREER: Grand Rapids (Mich.) CC, 1989-90; Western Michigan, 1991-92; Toronto Argonauts (CFL), 1995-96; Frankfurt Galaxy (World League), 1997.

COACHING CAREER: Oakland Raiders, 1998-04; University of San Diego, 2005; New Orleans Saints, 2006; Southern California, 2007-10; San Francisco 49ers, 2011-14; New Orleans Saints, 2015-.

Always good to bank on a position coach whose position group is not QB - and the group's output is a direct result of a HOF QB.

The Eagles definitely exposed that Bowles had no plan B... which aligns with his in-game flaws too.

So psyched for next year.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Always good to bank on a position coach whose position group is not QB - and the group's output is a direct result of a HOF QB.

The Eagles definitely exposed that Bowles had no plan B... which aligns with his in-game flaws too.

So psyched for next year.

I know Kyle Shannahan is all the love nowadays.  Do people realize he was a WR and started his coaching career as a WR coach? 

7 minutes ago, BrickzNY said:

Luke warm hire considering we don't have Drew Brees to help him out. Guess we'll see how this turns out.

What does it matter when the word from the fans in the know is that Bowles and his coaching staff is getting fired either during or after the season .

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

I know Kyle Shannahan is all the love nowadays.  Do people realize he was a WR and started his coaching career as a WR coach? 

If only we could transpose resumes and get equivalent outcomes. It just doesn't work that way.

Back to my point, Bowles had no plan B. Furthermore, Bowles isn't a good HC, and having Chan have him a sage advisor on staff. Now he's surrounding himself with even more guys that have no HC experience... it really doesn't bode well for the overall influence of coaching on the the teams outcome next year.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If only we could transpose resumes and get equivalent outcomes. It just doesn't work that way.

Back to my point, Bowles had no plan B. Furthermore, Bowles isn't a good HC, and having Chan have him a sage advisor on staff. Now he's surrounding himself with even more guys that have no HC experience... it really doesn't bode well for the overall influence of coaching on the the teams outcome next year.

How the hell do you or any of us here know plan a, plan b, c, d or z  

Morton has called plays before. He was OC for USC from 2009-2011. So he has experience calling plays.

And he has coached in great offensive systems. The early 2000s Raiders and Chargers. The Mid 2000s Saints, the Harbaugh Niners.

The only knock you can really have is that he has no experience coaching QBs. 

But that's what a QB coach is for.

Solid hire. Not horrific, but not all time great hire

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

And neither does hiring a guy who was a QB, coached QBs and called plays. You want Matt cavanaugh as OC? Schotty? 

9 minutes ago, C Mart said:

How the hell do you or any of us here know plan a, plan b, c, d or z  

Plan A was Defillipo, he was the first guy they tried to interview. It's not brain surgery to connect the dots.

Dint try so hard to make it a mystery. It's not that compelling.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Plan A was Defillipo, he was the first guy they tried to interview. It's not brain surgery to connect the dots.

Plan A was promoting Patullo, but he failed so he got shown the door (Connor Rogers reported that in his Senior Bowl article)

Plan B was DeFillipo

So this is Plan C, essentially

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I really wish you would run the show for the Jets since you have all the answers. 

And yes Defil could have been plan a. Is it Jets / Bowles fault eagles blocked him when he was told he would be free to leave for OC openings?

so how do any of us know who was plan b, c, d was. 

14 minutes ago, C Mart said:

And neither does hiring a guy who was a QB, coached QBs and called plays. You want Matt cavanaugh as OC? Schotty? 

I don't know what you're ranting about. Bowles is incompetent. I'm not going to debate whatever fringe point you think you're making.

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

I really wish you would run the show for the Jets since you have all the answers. 

lol, okay - stick to copy/pasting tweets, you're like the love child of joewilly and united when you think you're making a point

I for one wish him well. I think that he has a hard act to follow in Gailey. 

Gailey's first year was record breaking with Fitzpatrick at the helm. Last year his play calling while at times problematic was undermined by injuries to WRs, the OL and the worst QB play in the NFL. 

I just hope that we Jets Fans give the new guy a chance and are not asking him to turn this offense around when we don't have a diffinitive starter at QB!!!

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Plan A was promoting Patullo, but he failed so he got shown the door (Connor Rogers reported that in his Senior Bowl article)

Plan B was DeFillipo

So this is Plan C, essentially

Nodody fired the plan A. This is dense. Please don't extrapolate on my points.

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

Gailey's first year was record breaking with Fitzpatrick at the helm. Last year his playing while at times problematic was undermined you  injuries to WRs, the OL and the worst QB play in the NFL. 

I just hope that we Jets Fans give the new guy a chance and are not asking him to turn this offense around when we don't have a diffinitive starter at QB!!!

For sure, hope he does well. My point is about Bowles being in over his head.

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Gailey's first year was record breaking with Fitzpatrick at the helm. Last year his playing while at times problematic was undermined you  injuries to WRs, the OL and the worst QB play in the NFL. 

He's basically getting one year. After another failure of a season there will be a regime change and he'll get thrown out with the bath water. But he'll have a chance to prove something to someone. If he can manage to even elevate this offense to the low teens, it'd be a miracle. 

Archived