Schefter: Jets to hire John Morton as their OC: MERGED

CrazyCarl40

The QB coach hire will be critical. It doesnt bother me that Morton wasn't a previous QB coach. The OC handles the offensive coaches and gameplan. 

The QB mechanics and all that developing is more QB coach, which is why I never likes the Patullo hire. He was previously a WR coach, and had no history with QB's. To me that hire had more res flags than this one.

But hopefully we can get an exerienced guy in here to teach our young guys.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex said he handpicked everybody.  Why is it that people that have spent the last 8 years saying that you can't believe anything Rex said jump to quote him when it suits them?  Sparano came from Parcells who Woody was and is still in love with.  That is part of the reason we ended up with Bowles, who Parcells also blessed.  I'm sure Rex was fine with Sparano because he wanted  a simplified offense with an emphasis on power running.  Yes, I know Rex said Sparano was his first choice.  He said that shortly after he said that he had no plans to change the coaching staff.   He also said that he knew he wanted Sparano from when they sat down together - presumably when they were already interviewing the dude.

The Ape loses all credibility by saying that " Sporano [sic] was a good HC for the Dolphins"  The guy was a ******* horror.  Yes, he lucked into the 11-5 with #1 overall and the last place schedule when Brady was hurt and catching the Jets before Favre learned the O, but he went steadily downhill and was such a disaster he didn't even finish his last season. #feeduhwuff

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Rex said he handpicked everybody.  Why is it that people that have spent the last 8 years saying that you can't believe anything Rex said jump to quote him when it suits them?  Sparano came from Parcells who Woody was and is still in love with.  That is part of the reason we ended up with Bowles, who Parcells also blessed.  I'm sure Rex was fine with Sparano because he wanted  a simplified offense with an emphasis on power running.  Yes, I know Rex said Sparano was his first choice.  He said that shortly after he said that he had no plans to change the coaching staff.   He also said that he knew he wanted Sparano from when they sat down together - presumably when they were already interviewing the dude.

The Ape loses all credibility by saying that " Sporano [sic] was a good HC for the Dolphins"  The guy was a ******* horror.  Yes, he lucked into the 11-5 with #1 overall and the last place schedule when Brady was hurt and catching the Jets before Favre learned the O, but he went steadily downhill and was such a disaster he didn't even finish his last season. #feeduhwuff

lol, yes, I've lost all credibility... all of it.

Answer this simple question my friends:  

When you heard that Chan was out/retiring, did you immediately said to yourself "Awesome, this means we can get John Morton, WR coach of the Saints, as our new O-Co, this is GREAT news!  The offense is set!  Hack and Petty are set!"

If you're confused as to why some have doubts, see the above and the lack of folks who can answer that question in the affirmative.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Answer this simple question my friends:  

When you heard that Chan was out/retiring, did you immediately said to yourself "Awesome, this means we can get John Morton, WR coach of the Saints, as our new O-Co, this is GREAT news!  The offense is set!  Hack and Petty are set!"

If you're confused as to why some have doubts, see the above and the lack of folks who can answer that question in the affirmative.

But if he's going to be here for only 1 year, as many people believe, then what's the point of having an opinion?

This is what I think Bowles is thinking:

• He knows he needs to coach better.  He is going to basically run the defense himself.  There is no need to fire Kacy, because Kacy will just be Bowles' helper.
  • The new DL coach will help the prima donnas toe the line.
  • Kevin Green will find a way to get a push rush out of Jenkins, Maulding and Bishop.  I actually think that could happen.
  • He hired a new b### breaking OC to try and make something of the offense.  Hopefully there is a plan for a QBC.
  • To make the OL work, they will try and work with Clady and Mangold and replace Dozier and Breno.  
  • They will sign a CB and a QB and draft some talent high in each round and make the team more competitive next year.

Considering what they did from 2014 to 2015, turning 2017 into a half way decent season is not preposterous, although spending a high pick on a developmental QB will set back that effort (for 2017).

48 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

So...that's not a ringing endorsement..

Cutler now is pretty bad but he wasn't so bad when working with Bates.

YEAR G COMP% YDS TD INT RATING  
2006 5 59.1 1001 9 5 88.5  
2007 16 63.6 3497 20 14 88.1
2008 16 62.3 4526 25 18 86.0

He developed well while Bates worked with him.  The Denver passing offense went from the twenties in 2006 to the teens in 2007 and into the top ten by 2008, ranking 2nd in yards and 7th in passing TDs in 2008.  It was their defense that went from top 15 in 2006 to worst in the league in 2008.

All this remind me of when Herman Edwards hired Donnie Henderson to run his defense . With 6 new starters, a DB coach who had never run his own defense had a top 10 defense at the end of his 1st year .  When the announcement was made, Henderson got the same exact welcome to the Jets that John Morton is getting .

50 minutes ago, varjet said:

• He knows he needs to coach better.  He is going to basically run the defense himself.  There is no need to fire Kacy, because Kacy will just be Bowles' helper.
  • Kevin Green will find a way to get a push rush out of Jenkins, Maulding and Bishop.  I actually think that could happen.
  • He hired a new b### breaking OC to try and make something of the offense.  Hopefully there is a plan for a QBC.
  • To make the OL work, they will try and work with Clady and Mangold and replace Dozier and Breno.  
  • They will sign a CB and a QB and draft some talent high in each round and make the team more competitive next year.

Considering what they did from 2014 to 2015, turning 2017 into a half way decent season is not preposterous, although spending a high pick on a developmental QB will set back that effort (for 2017).

Not according to Cimin (see below)i:  And I'm not sure what how Dozier plays into your OL plan? He's a b/u..The OGs are set. Breno barely played in '16. Shell, as of today, would get first crack at ROT.

Which reminds me of the outrage here by all scouts and talent evaluators when Mcc traded for / drafted Shell in April, then when Shell was kept on the 53 man roster during final cutdown day...

From what I understand, Bowles will be more active on the offensive side of the ball than in the past. Previously, he let Chan Gailey do his thing, staying out of the way. I wouldn't expect a dramatic change, just subtle involvement. The reason is because Bowles has a lot of confidence in his rebuilt defensive staff, which includes three new assistants, so he feels like he can leave them be and spend more time with the offense

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66613/fallout-from-jets-oc-hire-questions-about-qbs-colin-kaepernick

1 hour ago, varjet said:

^^^^very good post

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I agree, I think Bowles knows that this is a make or break year, because his coaching staff decisions seem to be centered around the weaknesses on the team, with Greene for pass rush, and Wilson for CB.  

The offensive hire is interesting, remains to be seen how he adjusts to the personnel.  He had Barkley in USC, which meant a different system because his arm wasn't strong.  I really hope he brings the system from Saints.  The exact same system can't come over because Brees is extremely good with his accuracy, but something somewhat similar.  

I think they will draft CB though, because it's a deep draft for it.  I can't see them being able to afford good CB/QB, so I'd rather they fill up the roster and go with Petty/Hack and draft two CBs. 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Not according to Cimin (see below)i:  And I'm not sure what how Dozier plays into your OL plan? He's a b/u..The OGs are set. Breno barely played in '16. Shell, as of today, would get first crack at ROT.

Which reminds me of the outrage here by all scouts and talent evaluators when Mcc traded for / drafted Shell in April, then when Shell was kept on the 53 man roster during final cutdown day...

From what I understand, Bowles will be more active on the offensive side of the ball than in the past. Previously, he let Chan Gailey do his thing, staying out of the way. I wouldn't expect a dramatic change, just subtle involvement. The reason is because Bowles has a lot of confidence in his rebuilt defensive staff, which includes three new assistants, so he feels like he can leave them be and spend more time with the offense

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66613/fallout-from-jets-oc-hire-questions-about-qbs-colin-kaepernick

Dozier could be a backup, but he is basically in his contract year in 2017, I think.  Seems like the type who could get replaced with a better guard to develop, particularly one who could take over for Winters in 2019 for much cheaper (or Carpenter when he is up).  Dozier seems somewhat low value add at this point.

I for one was not phased by Shell's preseason performance.  The Jets did well to be patient and let him develop.

I am not entirely believing that Bowles will be involved that much with the offense, or that it will be any good.  From what I saw last year, I am still more concerned about the defensive coaching than the offensive coaching.  

5 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I agree, I think Bowles knows that this is a make or break year, because his coaching staff decisions seem to be centered around the weaknesses on the team, with Greene for pass rush, and Wilson for CB.  

The offensive hire is interesting, remains to be seen how he adjusts to the personnel.  He had Barkley in USC, which meant a different system because his arm wasn't strong.  I really hope he brings the system from Saints.  The exact same system can't come over because Brees is extremely good with his accuracy, but something somewhat similar.  

I think they will draft CB though, because it's a deep draft for it.  I can't see them being able to afford good CB/QB, so I'd rather they fill up the roster and go with Petty/Hack and draft two CBs. 

If the Jets cut the veterans they should, there will be money for both a FA QB and CB.  The FA QB could range from $5mm (Hoyer), to $15mm (Glennon-yikes) to $20mm (Taylor (double yikes).  Those numbers are conservative.  We cannot afford Clady and Mangold at their current numbers.  

I don't see Morton being inept.  If he can find someone to mentor the QBs, the offense will be decent.  Not playoff quality per se yet, but decent.  But they need a QB.  Even Geno won 8 games.  They need someone who can throw the ball downfield.  Downfield range is the key.

22 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I have never in my life met a single teacher who 1st did not have to be taught.  A great student once had a great teacher, and it's the job of the teacher to try and make the student better than he ever was ?  One believes what one will, or what one has convinced themselves to be the truth . From whom was your truth created ?

Based on years of experience hiring people at IBM, AT&T, Morgan Stanley, etc..  You hire people who have experience for the job... That is my truth Tinstar.  Keep your cockeye logic to yourself ... peace.

23 minutes ago, SOJ said:

Based on years of experience hiring people at IBM, AT&T, Morgan Stanley, etc..  You hire people who have experience for the job... That is my truth Tinstar.  Keep your cockeye logic to yourself ... peace.

were there only 32 people on the entire planet holding those jobs ?  Heck , there are 40,000 corporations in the US, if you want to look at just the big ones I have a list of 500 handy ;-)

its a silly comparison

Update 10 pages in:

# of posts that have called it a bad hire = 2

# of posts whining that "everyone is calling it a bad hire" = 8

I went through and counted because the whiners whining about the supposed whining was irritating.

Carry on.....

18 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Mentioned this in another thread before the hire.  There is one not so strong connection to Jeremy Bates.  They shared play calling duties at USC for one year.  When Pete Carroll was hired by Seattle, Bates left with him to become the OC.  After one year, Bates left due to philosophical differences.  Went on to work for the Bears as their QB coach.  Was supposedly instrumental in Cutler's development when Bates and Cutler were together in Denver.  Bates was not retained when Trestman was hired.  Most recently, Bates was coaching QBs at Shanahan's QB camp in L.A.

Edit

On 1/29/2017 at 11:17 PM, KRL said:

Jet fans are so phony, if John Morton came to your house and said he wanted
to discuss football you wouldn't even know who he was.  But now you're going
to tell me how bad of a choice he was?  Really

As is often the case, he's a guy none of us knew about until a few days ago.

Fun to talk about, but silly to bash or praise the hiring before he has done anything.

As I (and many others) said...surprised it wasn't somebody with a QB background or some significant time as an OC.

We shall see.

15 hours ago, SOJ said:

....and Based on your logic you wold never hire someone inexperienced even if they were talented. People arent born with experience, someone has to give them their first shot....so much for cockeyed logic

Archived