New York Jets offensive coordinator John Morton got his start in the NFL under Jon Gruden, serving as a personnel assistant for the Oakland Raiders (1998 to 2001). Morton apparently adopted Gruden's famously maniacal work ethic.

In his coaching days, Gruden was known for setting his alarm at 3:17 a.m. every day. Morton followed similar sleep patterns the last two seasons with the New Orleans Saints, according to coach Sean Payton.

"I tell you, you're going to get this 4 a.m., 5 a.m., midnight-type grinder," Payton said of his former receivers coach, who was hired five days ago by the Jets.

Call him a chip off the 'ol Chuckie.

Payton, who appeared Friday on ESPN New York radio's "Hahn & Humpty" show from Super Bowl LI, said Morton routinely took advantage of the Saints' "sleep room," as he called it. Payton said they have an air-conditioned room with 10 beds, allowing workaholic coaches to sleep at the team's facility.

"Johnny was one of those guys who would be in there," Payton said. "He'll have his little CPAP machine going, keeping everyone else awake."

Turning serious, Payton said of Morton, "He's a tremendous football coach. I think it's a great hire. I hate losing him."

Payton said Morton has "some strong beliefs. He's a great communicator, a great teacher." As we mentioned the day he was hired, Morton likely will run a version of the West Coast offense. Two of his coaching mentors, Gruden and Jim Harbaugh, employed a West Coast system.