Kaepernick to the Jets Speculation

JoJoTownsell1

Let me start off by saying I hope this never happens. I hate Kap for football and personal reasons, but it's the off-season and this board is a little slow right now:

The Jets have a new offensive coordinator, Saints wide receivers coach John Morton. But they're still looking for answers at quarterback.

Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith surely are goners in free agency. Christian Hackenberg is back for Year 2 in 2017, while Bryce Petty returns for Year 3. 

There's a good chance the Jets will fill out their quarterback room by adding a veteran quarterback -- somebody like Brian Hoyer, Mike Glennon, or Tyrod Taylor, just to name three possibilities. 

But what about the 49ers' Colin Kaepernick? 

Before we get into the details about his situation, know that Morton has a previous relationship with Kaepernick. Morton was the 49ers' receivers coach from 2011-14.

Kaepernick was a rarely used rookie in 2011. Then he was productive from 2012-14 -- 39 starts (25-14 record), 50 touchdown passes, 21 interceptions, and a 90.7 quarterback rating. Kaepernick helped the 49ers make the Super Bowl in 2012. 

Then his production dropped off from 2015-16 -- 19 starts (3-16 record), 22 touchdowns, nine interceptions, and a 85.5 rating.

Still, Kaepernick's stats weren't terrible in 2016 -- 16 touchdowns, four picks, and a 90.7 rating. Plus, he's fairly young. He turns 30 in November. 

Should the Jets go after him this offseason? Morton certainly can provide the organization with information on what Kaepernick did well from 2012-14. 

From a salary cap standpoint, the 49ers moving on from Kaepernick this offseason makes sense. He is entering the final year of his contract and is due to have a $19.3 million cap figure ($14.5 million of which is his non-guaranteed base salary). If the 49ers cut or trade Kaepernick, they'd save $16.9 million in cap space. 

With the 49ers drafting second this year, there's a good chance they'll take a quarterback, like Mitch Trubisky or Deshaun Watson, because it sure looks like they're done with Kaepernick. Could he get a fresh start with the Jets and Morton? 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/01/will_john_morton_push_jets_to_acquire_colin_kaeper.html#incart_river_mobileshort_index

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering Woody's ties to Republican Party, I say there is zero chance Kap will be pursued by Jets. No f'ing way. And I have to add this as well. Even if it is my father disrespecting his country's flag, I would lose all my respect for him. No to Kap for football reasons and non-football reasons. 

3 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Considering Woody's ties to Republican Party, I say there is zero chance Kap will be pursued by Jets. No f'ing way. And I have to add this as well. Even if it is my father disrespecting his country's flag, I would lose all my respect for him. No to Kap for football reasons and non-football reasons. 

+1

Hear hear.

SAR I

I despise Kaepernick's political stance. But he is within his rights as an American to take that stance (though I cringe). The Jets are not good enough to say no to players who do not have the ideologies that Woody would like. We need help wherever we can get it. That said, I have very little faith in Kaepernick's QB skills, and for that reason, I don't want to see him a Jet.

If Kap were Tom Brady Part Deux I would have him here..

He simply is not!!

So no way do I want him on the team.

Side note....... the NFL has made a huge mistake by focusing on "social issues" as part of their marketing and hence they opened the door to Kap and whether you are for him or against his stand, we only know about it because the NFL brought this in house.

Think you go to movies all the time.  Do you know if the actors in the main are child molesters, wife or partner abusers or perverts and so on?.  No you don't..

In the main you have no idea unless the actor wants to use such salacious activities as a part of an attempt to gain notoriety.  The NFL has lost its way in its ever mindless greed.

25 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Bingo

27 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Woody's too busy learning the best way to sell PSL's to Manchester United fans to care about this. 

29 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Just pin this post to any Kaep speculation, this is never happening for political reasons so we should never waste our time discussing.

Kaepernick is actually EXACTLY the type of QB the Jets should be aiming for this offseason - a high-upside, low floor play who won't come at too significant a short- or long-term cost.  You want a boom or bust vet, who will either hit it big enough to solve the Jets' QB problems long-term at a reasonable rate, or bust hard enough to give the Jets a high pick in a much better 2018 QB class.

If Kaep's that guy, sign me up.

On the field he's a one-read, inaccurate QB, with a whipping, slow, horrendous, throwing motion, who is no longer effective on the ground because teams have figured out the read-option. 

Off the field he's a huge lightning rod who might as well be the "Anti-Tebow" in how he's viewed and belongs nowhere near the New York media market. 

Yeah, I'll pass.

1 hour ago, Fibonacci said:

I just don't want him because he's bad at football. Is it okay to leave it at that?

Considering that most owners are likely relatively conservative because that is what most billionaires tend to be, Woody may be perhaps the most political conservative.

He is a member of the Trump Administration.

It would be an enormous personal and political embarrassment to him and Trump for his team to take Kaepernick....

unless his contract basically paid him to renounce his stance, see the light, and pay for him every game that he pledges and plays.   And that is only if we think his compensation is fair and we think he would be good.

I would make Glennon, Hoyer, McCown and Taylor (if available) aggressively fair offers based on who they are.  First one to sign, gets the contract.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Woody's too busy learning the best way to sell PSL's to Manchester United fans to care about this. 

Not only does Manchester United need PSL's, they need to take a lesson in age discrimination:

Based on information from the start of this season, the cheapest United season ticket for an adult aged between 21 and 64 is priced at £532 while the most expensive comes in at £950. Under 16s can buy season tickets for £190 and the most expensive over 65 ticket is £380.

SAR I

Kaepernick will always be a flashpoint in either direction.  I had a soft spot for him initially because he's an adoptee like yours truly, so I admit previous bias there. I get his views, and I understand it and deeply respect where it's coming from, but that comes with a disclaimer. He has the right to say what he wants, but I'm sorry, if you had a family member who willingly signed up to potentially lose their life for your theoretical right to say what you want, see ya, do not want. I am fiercely pro-military, and more than a little protective. Everyone who knows me knows that. 

Every time that I see an old veteran with a baseball hat on, I thank them for their service. I buy poppies. I've gifted an anonymous lunch or five in diners and restaurants when I see people in uniform. I send care packages overseas during the Holidays, because for the imaginary idea of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, I'm thankful, blemishes and lies and garbage combined. I don't wear blinders, but soldiers and vets should not be abandoned. I use God Bless America as a term of art, because I'm a borderline atheist -  and there a ton of atheists in the military, which takes a lot of balls - but are no atheists in foxholes as the saying goes. That's what keeps me borderline. 

Minority treatment in the military was horrendous going back to well before the Civil War, but it doesn't take away from  their bravery.  There is a lot WRONG with the military, sh!t that seriously needs to change (suicide rates, mental illness and homelessness for starters).  The resources for vets is atrocious and embarrassing. There are also so many things wrong with our country, too, and there has been from the very beginning, but it is what it is.  Love it or leave it is the easy cheap reaction, but sometimes it's on the tip of my tongue.

The po-po situation has been historically deplorable, too, but breaking sh!t and harming businesses that serve where you live and sniping police officers to death, not the answer. What was this about again? No to Colin Kaepernick. Let anyone even attempt to call me a racist, you won't win. I have black friends and my name is Jenel. 

Sign him. Most people that oppose his peaceful protest have never served in the US Military. Many veterans including myself put our lives on the line so he can exercise his rights as an American. The Jets need football players. No doubt that Kaepernick makes the Jets a better team.

Archived