Rex Ryan On Coaching: I’m ‘tired of getting f--ked’

SAR I

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Bugg said:

It's a cap league, sucks for the players, and is not fair, but that's reality. Yes, salary caps are an evil drag to set player salaries artificially low on the pretense otherwise sensible owners are morons(not Woody Johnson, but everyone else), but that's another argument for another day. Best for the Bills that Taylor not play in a week 17 meaningless game.  A coach  that appreciates being seen as a team player and since your team is out of the playoffs anyway does what is best for the franchise and goes along with that request from the GM and ownership.Ryan is not a team player.  And  instead winning meaningless December bum fights has always been Ryan's forte. 

Rex knew he was getting fired, he had no incentive to sit Taylor.

winning those "meaningless games" never cost us a thing.  good organizations find good players no matter where they draft and bad ones screw it up no matter where they draft.

Rex is like an ex girlfriend. You see her out in the world after a few years and you are like man we had some great times. Then all your buddies are like, hey remember when she f***ed you over all those years. Damn you rex you got me thinking of the good times again, never forget 09-10

1 minute ago, whodeawhodat said:

I'll always root for Rex when he isnt playing the Jets.  Others may call him fake or a blowhard but to me he was genuine and protected his team.  I still wish him the best and future success.

This is what he wants. He doesn't want success, he wants the power of influence. He'd rather win hearts and minds, than football games, because it is more gratifying to his narcissistic personality archetype.

6 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I'll always root for Rex when he isnt playing the Jets.  Others may call him fake or a blowhard but to me he was genuine and protected his team.  I still wish him the best and future success.

I love jets fans who hate Rex.  Guy was the most successful coach we had since SBIII even more so than Parcells

Just now, whodeawhodat said:

I think he wants to win, I think his players will run through a brick wall for him.  I dont think he give a sh*t what people outside of the locker room think about him.

Nope.

He can to the sh*ttiest job imaginable, but as long as he provides the narrative that he cared about things that the common fan cares about, and everyone was out to get him, then the "win" for him is allegiance. If he truly cared about winning, he'd have changed as a coach - he'd have made a concerted effort to learn more about offense, improve on scouting. Nope. He is the same guy now that he was when we hired him, but he's become a master manipulator behind the scenes and through the media. 

Rex only understands one way to succeed. Controlling information to extinguish fact, build advocacy through optics, and rely on a victimization narrative. This is what you get with an incompetent narcissist. 

Just now, thadude said:

I love jets fans who hate Rex.  Guy was the most successful coach we had since SBIII even more so than Parcells

Irrelevant point. I don't like him as a person. I don't care about any level of success he achieved or didn't achieve here. I root for the laundry.

OK, was this article written by Manish?  Holy sh*t.  I can't believe I'm doing this, but let's break down everything wrong written and every stupid thing Rex says:

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Getting whacked after 8-8 and 7-8 seasons is ludicrous, but it's obvious that the Bills aren't exactly the gold standard of NFL franchises. Rumblings of back-door meetings between owners Terry and Kim Pegula and players before offensive coordinator Greg Roman was fired after two games were the first indications that Ryan & Co. were in for a bumpy ride this season.

It's not "ludicrous" when your team was 9-7 and had a topflight defense the year before Rex arrived.  They regressed even with good QB play. 

Ryan, who will make his first foray into the TV world by being a panelist on ESPN's NFL Sunday Countdown on Super Bowl Sunday, still has about $16.5 million left on the final three years of his Bills contract. The firing stung him, even if it didn't make him eternally angry.

"I'm really not that bitter and maybe that $15 million is one of the reasons," Ryan said. "I'm not bitter, man. … Yeah, I'm hurt. I was hurt by it. There's no question. But bitter ain't how I feel. I'm like, 'Shoot, if they never wanted me here, then fine. I ain't here. I'm not your coach anymore. Fine and dandy.' But I got an opportunity in front of me that a lot of guys don't get. I'm going to see where it takes me. Maybe this a different career and I really enjoy it. I'm hoping that's the way it is. Maybe I get into and I don't like it. Maybe they don't like me. Maybe I go back to doing something I love, which is coaching. I'll never say never. I'm a young guy still. … I'm healthy. But bitter? Nah. Not bitter, man. I'm really not."

Oh GFY Rex.  Yeah, you're not bitter.  Not bitter at all.  Which is why you're whining and complaining throughout the article about how poorly and unfairly you were treated. 

"That's what drove me over anything," said Ryan, who is 65-68, including four playoff wins, in eight seasons as a head coach. "I wanted to put myself in a situation where I thought I could be successful and where I'd have support. Because I think that's all I need. That's going to be debated and questioned. They'll say I'm a .500 coach. … There's a reason why things happened."

Never Rex's fault that he's a sub-.500 coach.  At 2 different spots he failed, but there are "reasons why things happened".  Yeah, you suck at your job. 

He never got a fair chance to do much of anything with the Bills despite the hope surrounding his arrival. Ryan didn't have a first or fourth-round pick in his first draft. His second draft included a first-rounder (Shaq Lawson) who missed the first six games this season recovering from surgery and a second-rounder (Reggie Ragland) who missed all of 2016 with a torn ACL.

That's what happens when you have to take the only HC job offered to you.  You get put in a tough spot.  Tough sh*t.  He drafted Shaq Lawson despite a recent MCL injury because of his Clemson obsession.  How is that an excuse?

"I wasn't real lucky coming in there with the situation I did," Ryan said. "Hey, that's the way it goes. No excuses. We went in there and did the best we could. I wish things would have been different. I wish Sammy Watkins wouldn't have had a broken foot and been healthy the whole year. I wish our draft picks would have played. There's a lot of things that I wished for, but at the end of the day, I'm responsible for the product on the field."

In other words:  "No excuses.  Now here's a list of excuses."

Although Ryan admitted that there's a sense of unfulfillment from the past two seasons, he pointed out that "It wasn't up to me to leave. That's not the case. They told me, 'Get out.' So I did."

Oh weird.  They told you to "get out"?  Interesting.  I thought whenever someone was employed they always got to control when they left.

"I wasn't going to take just any job," Ryan said of joining the Bills after six years with the Jets. "I wanted to make sure it was the right thing and that I was going to get the backing of the owners and general manager after what I went through (in the final two years with former train-wreck Jets general manager John Idzik). I wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page. That's what I was looking for. I wasn't going to take just any job. Obviously, it never worked out."

Riiiight.  Because the Falcons and Bears were just falling over themselves to hire you, Rex.

The Pegulas offered no concrete reason for giving Ryan his walking papers (he would have been fired after the season regardless) other than to give the corporate nonsense of "moving in a different direction."

They're not obligated to give him a "concrete reason".  This is the NFL. 

"Could it have been different if Brett Favre would have stayed at quarterback? I think about all those kinds of things. But at the end of the day, I got to look forward. … I've had some great moments coaching and I've had some bad ones. Unfortunately, in this business, those bad memories stay with you more than some of the good memories."

Brett Favre would have laughed in your face, Rex.  You went all in on Sanchez, then doubled down on him.  Your fault you didn't have a QB in New York. 

I'm tired of getting f---ked. Unless it's a real situation, there's no sense of getting into it again."

What happened to "No excuses"?  So you need your circumstances to be perfect to coach in the NFL again?  Cool.  Well the NFL doesn't want you, and will never give you a "perfect" situation.  You have to make your own success instead of complaining about getting "f*cked".  What a piece of sh*t this guy is. 

If Rex Ryan has another chance — a real chance — he'll be back.

Poor Rex.  Always victimized wherever he goes. 

Very few people get a shot to be an NFL Head Coach.  Much fewer get 2 cracks at it.  Rex is a failure.  Tough sh*t. 

10 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

Rex is like an ex girlfriend. You see her out in the world after a few years and you are like man we had some great times. Then all your buddies are like, hey remember when she f***ed you over all those years. Damn you rex you got me thinking of the good times again, never forget 09-10

Rex is that ex girlfriend who was ******* your father behind your back and selling your possessions for meth who gave you Hep C and your boy Tom was trying to warn you the whole time that she was a dirty skank but you were all "dude she's wild. She licked my a$$hole" so you stayed with her until you had no money or teeth and now everyone laughs at you because you're a no-credibility having simp. @JiF

Just now, T0mShane said:

Rex is that ex girlfriend who was ******* your father behind your back and selling your possessions for meth who gave you Hep C and your boy Tom was trying to warn you the whole time that she was a dirty skank but you were all "dude she's wild. She licked my a$$hole" so you stayed with her until you had no money or teeth and now everyone laughs at you because you're a no-credibility having simp. @JiF

You had an ex **** your father?!?

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Nope.

He can to the sh*ttiest job imaginable, but as long as he provides the narrative that he cared about things that the common fan cares about, and everyone was out to get him, then the "win" for him is allegiance. If he truly cared about winning, he'd have changed as a coach - he'd have made a concerted effort to learn more about offense, improve on scouting. Nope. He is the same guy now that he was when we hired him, but he's become a master manipulator behind the scenes and through the media. 

Rex only understands one way to succeed. Controlling information to extinguish fact, build advocacy through optics, and rely on a victimization narrative. This is what you get with an incompetent narcissist. 

^^^^Controlling information gave me a good laugh.  No, it wasnt about controlling information, if anything he was overzealous with the crap that came out of his mouth at press conferences.  That stuff should have stayed in the lockerroom imo, i get that some of the stuff he said to the media had a chance of being calculated so as to remove the spotlight from things going on internally with the team and onto him.  I think he is the type of person to do that.  

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

my take away from this post is me looking forward to my kids having friends that are of age...

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Sounds like you're speaking from experience.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

He fired Jim Schwartz, so he's now back to making stuff up. Again. he remains a defense-first and only guy in an offense-oriented NFL, a beeper salesman in an iphone world. Once teams figured out how to beat his defenses, he's not even all that good at defense anyway. May as well stay on ESPN because no  NFL coaching jobs will be coming his way any time soon. It's one thing to suck and be polite, quite another to be an arrogant douchebag and suck. Nobody wants him.  

Classic!

Rex will regret the 2011 AFCCG to the day he dies.  

Not having the team up for the Steelers was inexcusable.

Yes, I know they're professional athletes, but it's the HC job to make sure they dont feel like they reached the mountaintop when they beat the Pats the week before.

Even if the Jets lose to the Packers in the SB that year (I think they'd have a good chance against them based on how Rex's D handled Rodgers in the regular season), that changes the trajectory for so many players and Rex.

21 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

^^^^Controlling information gave me a good laugh.  No, it wasnt about controlling information, if anything he was overzealous with the crap that came out of his mouth at press conferences.  That stuff should have stayed in the lockerroom imo, i get that some of the stuff he said to the media had a chance of being calculated so as to remove the spotlight from things going on internally with the team and onto him.  I think he is the type of person to do that.  

I think we're saying similar things, but painting it in different light.

Rather than letting the public consume facts, Rex controlled what was responded to by providing "info" instead. Whether it was to remove scrutiny from the team, or hide the lack of control he had in the locker room, or paint himself as the humble, common-man falling on the swords... is really up to the interpreter. 

For me, this is the instinctive behavior of a deeply manipulative narcissist. I say instinctive specifically, because I think it's in his nature, more so than I'm suggesting that this is all strategized. I have up-close-and-personal experience with this personality type. I've worked for a few of them. Once you've been ****ed by them, you learn to see it coming a million miles away.

9 minutes ago, SMC said:

Rex will regret the 2011 AFCCG to the day he dies.  

Not having the team up for the Steelers was inexcusable.

Yes, I know they're professional athletes, but it's the HC job to make sure they dont feel like they reached the mountaintop when they beat the Pats the week before.

Even if the Jets lose to the Packers in the SB that year (I think they'd have a good chance against them based on how Rex's D handled Rodgers in the regular season), that changes the trajectory for so many players and Rex.

I thought they played fairly well in that AFCG Sanchez just had a couple bad turnovers early on we never fully recovered from

I wish nothing but the best for Rex Ryan going forward. Hope he has a long and successful broadcasting career. But, it wouldn't  completely shock me to be reading a quote like this in the future.

"Shoot, sure I'm disappointed I got fired by ESPN after two years. I think if I could have continued to work with Chris Berman, we could have been successful. I don't want to make any excuses… But me and Trey Wingo just didn't seem to have the same chemistry.  And I also feel that there was a certain disconnect with upper management, as to how to properly use me. Should they use me in the studio?  Should they try to incorporate me as a game analyst? 

I don't wish them any bad luck. Although, the day I got fired, I ripped that ESPN logo right off the side of my truck. I've been looking for the right opportunity, and I think I have found it now, here at Fox sports........."

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

He's clearly lobbying Woody for another shot in New York, wonderful.

SAR I

so why would rex sacrifice three years of a plush contract to coach again?  pride? ego?  maybe.  the thing about rex is he is always his worst enemy. if he ever understands that he might actually be a worthwhile head coach.  and if he does coach again he needs to be paired with a strong and competent gm.

Archived