Grading Mac's performance thus far

CanadaSteve

There has been LOTS of disagreement about Mike Maccagnan's performance so far in his two years here.  While some liked the moves in the first year, some hated the same moves a year later.  Others have loved the moves either way, while others have hated particular transactions from the get-go.  Lets take a look at them and see what we agree upon, what we disagree on, and what we think has to happen moving forward.....remember, its the off-season!  (I will not get into every transaction, just the big ones as I see it)

March 10, 2015 - Trade 5th round pick for Brandon Marshall

Great move.  Marshall played well for us in his first year, and so-so in the second.  I would take a Brandon Marshall for a 5th rounder any day of the week.

March 11, 2015 - Traded late-round pick for Ryan Fitzpatrick

Great move at first.  He was meant to hold-the-fort in case we needed a vet.  Unfortunately, he had a career year in what was suppose to be a rebuilding here.  THEN the fiasco that happened afterward.  Bowles naming Fitzpatrick starter when he wasn't on the team was idiotic; you almost wonder if it tied Mac's hands.  We may never know all the details.

March 11, 2015 - Signing Darrelle Revis, Buster Skrine, James Carpenter

James Carpenter has been an A in my book.  I did not like the Skrine or the Revis signing, but I understood them.  We have an out for both contracts, especially now that Revis has fallen off a cliff ability wise to play press coverage. 

March 18, 2015 -Signing of Antonio Cromartie and Marcus Gilchrist. 

I liked the Cromartie signing, especially how he played in Arizona.  Unfortunately, he was exposed when we signed Revis.  Gilchrist was not a good signing, but another one I understood given the disaster of a secondary we had. 

April 1, 2015 - Signed Jamari Lattimore

Liked the signing, got a bit for what we paid

April 8, 2015 - Signed Erin Henderson

Liked the signing, got a LOT for what we paid, but his time is up here.

April 13, 2015 - Signed Steven Ridley

Took a shot and missed at little cost

May 2, 2015 - Tradee 7th round pick for Zac Stacy

I get it....trying to get depth for cheap prices.  But sooner or later, it is better to just draft an unknown then it is trading for guys who have done nothing for multiple years.  Not a fan of this move.

Mac also resigned Bilal Powell, Damon Harrison, Willie Colon, Tanner Purdum, Ben Ijalena and let guys like Michael Vick, Kyle Wilson, John Connor, Chris Johnson, Kendrick Ellis walk.  Open for debate.

Draft

Leonard Williams - Best pick in the draft.  Don't care it was a no-brainer, it was a no-brainer for three-four teams in front of the Jets and they did not pull the trigger.  Jets did.  What I did NOT like was Sheldon Richardson or Mo Wilkerson should have been traded that weekend, or before the season started.  It was time to build around a new young guy on the line, and that was Williams. 

Devon Smith-Jury is out, but it is looking like a bad pick.

Lorenzo Mauldin - Played well first season, regressed the second.  Not the first player to do so.  This season will determine his draft grade.

Bryce Petty - Right pick, right round, but it does not look like we have a future in this QB

Jarvis Harrison - Not on team.  I liked Harrison as a prospect, but he did not work out.

Deon Simon - Great late round find for the DE, similar to finding Snacks as a UDFA.

UDFA Wes Saxton TE - Still on team, but could do better.  But for a UDFA......

Overall:  Off-season: (Based on the year done NOT after this year): B+       Draft: B 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His team just won 5 games, they have no identity, a defense of mismatched assholes, a moron head coach, the inmates run the asylum, they have 1 star, no QB and is in a rebuild 2 years after a rebuild.

He deserves an A+ damn it!!!!!

February 16, 2016 - Signed Freddie Bishop

Liked the move then, still do.  What he brings we shall see this year after having a year to adjust to the NFL

March 10, 2016 - Signed Matt Forte and Khiry Robinson

Again, Robinson was a guy on the cheap to see what he could do.  I liked Forte given his ability out of the backfield.  This signing did not work.

March 21, 2016 - Signed Steve McLendon

Was a good signing to replace Harrison, but could not live up to what Snacks brought

March 30, 2016 - Signed Jarvis Jenkins

Meh

April 10, 2016 - Traded a 5th round pick for Ryan Clady

With D'Brick's sudden retirement, it had to be done.  It was basically for a year, but now we have a MAJOR hole to fill.  We knew it was coming, and this is more on previous Jets FO for not having a guy groomed behind Ferguson.

We let Antonio Allen, Randy Bullock, Demario Davis, Chris Ivory, Leger Douzable, Ryan Quigley Damon Harrison, and Steven Ridley walk, and resigned Erin Henderson, Ben Ijalena, Bilal Powell, and Fitz.

DRAFT

Darron Lee - Not a fan of the pick.  I know some say 'wait and see,' put Paxton Lynch was sitting there, 3 quality WR's were there, a pass-rushing monster in Noah Spence.  I think we could have done better.

Christian Hackenberg - The pick that will make or break Mac.  My QB's, if picking in the 2nd, would have been Dax Prescott or Connor Cook.  Who knows.

Jordan Jenkins - Liked the pick, especially where we got him

Justin Burris - Liked the pick, especially where we got him

Brandon Shell - This could very well be our RT for years to come.  Great pick

Lachlan Edwards - Up and down year, but he made me forget about Quigley

Charone Peake - Great pick in the late round.  Lets home he improves year two like Enunwa did.

UDFA- Doug Middleton, Jalin Marshall, Robbie Anderson, Kyle Friend. - How can you not love what Mac found in the UDFA this year?

Off Season - C+  Draft:  D for first two rounds, A for final part

OKAY.....lets see where we agree and disagree. 

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

His team just won 5 games, they have no identity, a defense of mismatched assholes, a moron head coach, the inmates run the asylum, they have 1 star, no QB and is in a rebuild 2 years after a rebuild.

Seriously, keep on topic or just skip the thread....

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

When was this first rebuild you speak of?

4 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Seriously, keep on topic or just skip the thread....

You asked for a grade, I gave you a grade. 

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

When was this first rebuild you speak of?

2015.  2016 was all in for the Lombardi baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Personally, I think the man's doing a fantastic job. When you're a 1st time GM and or HC, you get mostly 2 years before the natives start rumbling . In NY, you don't even get 1 draft , not the season following the draft, but the actual draft .  Imagine  if this regime didn't start off by winning 10 games . 

In 2 seasons, The Jets have all but :

Transform their Line Backing core.

Transform their Receiving core

Began the rebuild of their OL

Kept the Defensive Line a strength

Start the rebuild of the secondary

Yes, we need stars, but you can't always get them picking outside the top 10 .

We got Williams on our 1st try into the top 10 . We have another shot this spring, so lets see what we come up with .  

Missing ;

Starting QB

Starting LT

Edge rusher

It's a work in common .

anyone can draft Leonard Williams at 6. it's the 2nd round picks that are worrysome. 

Mac's evaluation lives and dies with Hackenberg. Even if Hack stinks and Mac can move away quickly that would be fine. 

For example they drafted Devin Smith and he stinks but Mac found Robbie Anderson so fair enough. 

The scenario where they don't draft a Qb high because they have Hack and then Hack stinks, could get Mac fired. Hack needs to be great or he needs to find a replacement super fast. 

You lumped in things to make a bad move look better. Take Fitzpatrick. There were 2 transactions: the move to trade for him in the first place (which clearly worked out, relative to what was surrendered to get him); then there was the move to re-sign him, including some 5 months of chasing after him prior to that, which was an epic SOJ blunder. Not to mention his amateurish, petty, public "demand" that Fitz show up by such-and-such time of day right after Fitz had already agreed to the contract. It's not like he agreed to it and then stayed home & stalled for the next week, or had given any indication that he'd do so. Fitz agreed to it and 5 minutes later the GM announces - to the media - the next-day ultimatum deadline for actually signing it, in a feeble attempt to hide how he was the one who'd given in & caved. A secure professional doesn't do that to his chased-after player; an insecure child behaves that way.

Same thing with lumping together Leonard Williams with retaining both Sheldon & Mo. The attempt here - consciously or otherwise - is to show on balance there was no all-bad move. 

It's also intellectually dishonest to declare obvious high pick letdowns/busts as otherwise with a "jury is out" excuse, like with Devon Smith, while declaring others already to be successes even though they haven't played very much. I mean really, Deon Simon = Snacks now? Simon didn't play as a rookie (he was released before October, but no one else wanted him), and then was in on under 20% of the defensive snaps in year 2. Snacks played in 5 games as a rookie (sparingly, but the team had both Pouha & Ellis, and that's far from getting cut) before starting all 16 games in his sophomore season. They are not on par, as Simon isn't nearly on Harrison's level. Simon was fine (not great) in 2016, and BTW he's already going to be 27 this summer (he's only 1.5 yrs younger than Snacks). So, "jury is still" out if a draftee is bad/useless for 1-2 seasons. But if they have a few good games in 1-2 years then they're "great picks" -- gotcha.

You tout "re-signing" Snacks among his 2015 accomplishments. As opposed to what -- inexplicably letting him go for no reason at all, while we retained his rights as a RFA and didn't have another NT on the roster? That was an F-minus move, to only tag him and then let him go a year later, while we had so much leverage to extend him. You glossed over it like he was some forgettable player -- actually worse than that: you mentioned it as some sort of "good" move. It was a good move in comparison to what?

The Jarvis Jenkins acquisition was just "meh"? If he's "meh" what does someone have to do to be horrendous, other than maybe a center blood-diarrhea-ing onto his QB's hands on MNF? The Jenkins contract/signing was legitimately one of the worst in all of football in 2016. Even worse than embarrassingly bad deals for Fitzpatrick and Mo. "Meh" lol. Why not go into the reason for his acquisition? It's skipped over as though it never happened.

For the 1000000th time, Brick did not "suddenly retire" and thus leave Maccagnan with "no choice" -- Maccagnan lost that excuse when he'd just approached said player with a "take a $6m pay cut or we're releasing you" ultimatum. That Brick chose to retire is irrelevant. The end result was no different than if Brick, without retiring, had merely said 'no' to the pay cut demand.

I'm stopping there. For now, lol.

Talk about playing it extra Charmin-soft on Maccagnan to forward an obvious agenda to paint him as competent. Wow.

18 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Personally, I think the man's doing a fantastic job. When you're a 1st time GM and or HC, you get mostly 2 years before the natives start rumbling . In NY, you don't even get 1 draft , not the season following the draft, but the actual draft .  Imagine  if this regime didn't start off by winning 10 games . 

In 2 seasons, The Jets have all but :

Transform their Line Backing core.

Transform their Receiving core

Began the rebuild of their OL

Kept the Defensive Line a strength

Start the rebuild of the secondary

Yes, we need stars, but you can't always get them picking outside the top 10 .

We got Williams on our 1st try into the top 10 . We have another shot this spring, so lets see what we come up with .  

Missing ;

Starting QB

Starting LT

Edge rusher

It's a work in common .

"We don't have good players at any of the positions that matter, but he's 'started the rebuild of the secondary,' so there's that. A++."

If he does not 100% totally nail his 1st two picks in this draft he is in trouble.  In my opinion he is 1 out of 4 in that department so far. 

In the end the thing that will make him or break him is if he can find a QB, it;s as simple as that.

I do think he is badly handicapped by the way the Jets front office is set up.

When I look at Mac's performance over 2 years, I see:

• Some good acquisitions/decisions
  • Some bad acquisitions/decisions
  • Trying too hard to compete in the short term (which may have expired)
  • A lot of uncertainty/jury is still out.
  • A longer term track record including the Texans that indicate good scouting capability.

When I look at Bowles over 2 years, I see:

• A good to decent job taking over the team in 2015, bringing in his system, managing some crises well, but misfiring on a few decisions that could have cost the team a playoff berth.  But the negatives looked correctable.
  • A 2016 where Bowles looked completely outmatched in all facets of his coaching job and on the way to being a coaching flop.

So to me, Macc shows potential and hope, but Bowles is a concern.  Hopefully Bowles gets this and is getting is act together.

23 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The team stinks and has almost no promising young talent.  Macc has failed thus far.

Uhhhhhh.....no.

I remember I gave him a B for drafting and went into detail why.

FA's is interesting. Some of his FA decisions have been questionable (Jenkins, Forte to an extent). Fitz and Revis given the situation AT THE TIME, are not really bothering to me.

Yet you also have to include UDFAs with FAs. And that he has done really well in.

So I would give him a C+-B- for FAs.

Meaning that his overall grade is probably a B-

Um, the WR position is a 1000% better than when he took over.

The LB position is 10000000% younger than when he took over.

There is an improvement in the talent of the OL, Shell, the other RTs. Carpenter.

The TE position...Ok Ok I cant' even type this with a straight face.

Baby steps out of a moon-sized crater.

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

Um, the WR position is a 1000% better than when he took over.

The LB position is 10000000% younger than when he took over.

There is an improvement in the talent of the OL, Shell, the other RTs. Carpenter.

The TE position...Ok Ok I cant' even type this with a straight face.

Baby steps out of a moon-sized crater.

What he said might be one of the dumbest things ever said on here. And I have said a lot of dumb things on here.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

This plus let's not forget 10 year extensions for Mac and Bubba Gump Bowltite with no firing clauses.

Look, if you expected a 2-year turnaround for this franchise with holes so abundant and a losing culture, you're just expecting too much. This is going to take a while. the entire roster was a mess of untalented never-weres working under a philosophy best suited for the Ice Bowl.

I think there is some better talent on this team. And I think the scouting has been better. But the results were not very encouraging last year. But I think that had a lot to do with overachieving in the first year.

As I've brought up before, there are some positions that are the hardest &/or most expensive to find individual good, young starters. The importance of hitting paydirt on these players is obvious. As we enter his 3rd offseason, grade Maccagnan on filling these (previously-vacant) positions with younger players, through the draft or FA, that have a future longer than 1-2 years:

1. QB
  2. Outside Pass Rushing DE-OLB
  3. CB1
  4. LT

The way GMs try to avoid paying the absolute highest, top dollar for an upcoming FA - and to avoid potentially losing a FA outright - is to lock up the player when there's still a year left on his rookie deal (or when he's playing under a 1 yr team option, RFA tag, or other expiring contract). Name all the players with whom this was done with great success. Here are some names to get you started:

1. Snacks
  2. Mo (or Sheldon; take your pick)
  3. Winters
  4. Enunwa (it's only Jan 31, of course, but he's eligible for an extension this year)

Free agency is an exciting time for teams and its fans. For a rebuilding team with money, it's a chance to not just patch some immediate holes, but do so in a way that they won't become holes again for another 3-4 years or more (more than enough time for the full development of draft picks into starters). Since none of these players were signed for just 1 year (or signed with the intention of dumping them after only 1-2 years), as we enter year 3 please judge the 3+ year success/potential of these veteran signings:

1. Revis
  2. Skrine
  3. Cromartie
  4. Gilchrist
  5. Harris
  6. Carpenter :) 
  7. Wilkerson (we declined undisclosed, but surely not low, pick(s) to re-sign him)
  8. B. Marshall (traded a pick to get him)
  9. Fitzpatrick '16, if Maccagnan had his way

Which of the following players are you now happy with the decision to retain instead of trading away or just cutting outright when a well-timed opportunity was there?

1. Keeping Mo in Spring of 2015
  2. Keeping Mo in Spring of 2016
  3. Keeping Sheldon in mid-season 2016
  4. Keeping injured Giacomini in late Aug 2016
  5. Keeping Geno in late Aug 2016
  6. Re-signing Fitzpatrick in late July 2016

Archived