Hackenburg has 9 years to get us to the Superbowl

Jetster

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This just isn't true. 

They gave Hackenberg an opportunity to be the #2 QB, behind an injury prone starter who'd already been benched once, for week 8. So this idea that he wouldn't get onto the field "no matter what" is a factually false statement. He didn't see he field because he was worse than Petty, who himself missed the bulk of the prior 2 consecutive months of that precious practice time and had never taken a regular season snap.

If he beat out Petty in late October, when given that chance, and then Fitz got himself benched again, the starter would have been Hackenberg instead of Petty.

It didn't happen because he was just that bad, not because they refused to play him on principle. 

It's 100% true.  He never practiced as the number 2.  Was never prepared to play in 2016.  Has nothing to do with people making up things like he wasn't good enough to play.  It just isn't close to being fact

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This just isn't true. 

They gave Hackenberg an opportunity to be the #2 QB, behind an injury prone starter who'd already been benched once, for week 8. So this idea that he wouldn't get onto the field "no matter what" is a factually false statement. He didn't see he field because he was worse than Petty, who himself missed the bulk of the prior 2 consecutive months of that precious practice time and had never taken a regular season snap.

If he beat out Petty in late October, when given that chance, and then Fitz got himself benched again, the starter would have been Hackenberg instead of Petty.

It didn't happen because he was just that bad, not because they refused to play him on principle. 

Brady couldnt climb up the depth chart his rookie year either. It doesn't say much about a career trajectory one way or another.

2017 Senior Bowl: Tuesday Rumor Mill 

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell 

With all the general managers, coaches and scouts in attendance for the Senior Bowl, there is a lot of chatter going around. Here are some of the highlights from the rumor mill on Day 2.

These sources also said that quarterback Christian Hackenberg developed well behind the scenes as a rookie. Citing Jared Goff with the Rams as an example of a quarterback playing before he was prepared, the Jets didn't want to force Hackenberg on the field before he was ready and end up doing damage to him. This analyst wouldn't be surprised if the Jets went the veteran quarterback route to compete and see how their young quarterbacks improve in 2017. 

12 hours ago, Jetster said:

Christian turns 22 in a couple of weeks. Matt Ryan is 31 going on 32.

Do Jet fans have the patience of Falcon fans? Lol. The way I look at it by time everything is in place & Christian has the players around him, (an Oline like the Cowboys), a fantastic RB, dynamic WRs, and a strong defense we should be on our way right?

These things take time, sometimes years as in Matty Ice case. Wasn't long ago you started hearing the whispers, "is Matt Ryan good enough to take his team to the next level?". QBs take years to mature in this league, we're Jet fans, we have all the time in the world to do this thing right. What's another 9/10 years when it's been over 47?

The NFL sucks now anyway, so let's all just take a few years away while Hack develops & when we return, he might be ready to rock & we'll all love the NFL again like Brady, Manning & Big Ben fans who have watched these 3 dominate the AFC for 16 freaking years.

I can't stand the NFL right now. Brady & BB dominating every year. Instead of taking Bradys head off when given the chance our defenders let him lead a play as a blocker and it looked like Moses parting the Red Sea. Dear Mr. Goodell...I want MY NFL back! The NFL I fell in love with watching Joe Kapp throwing wobblers in the snow vs the Bears. The Rams fearsome foursome, Kenny "the snake" Stabler, Barry Sanders just flipping the ball to the ref, not doing a stupid feed me act. If I have to watch that classy Edelman shaking his head vigorously at DBs after another successful Patriots pick play I'll lose my mind.

Or the Patriots offensive line go through the entire playoffs & Super Bowl with nary a holding call while Brady does one one thousand, two onethousand, three onethousand, four onethousand, five onethousand, six onethousand, seven onethousand.

If there is a god up there, the Falcons have to win this Sunday...right? Right?

The analogy is absurd. As mentioned in the thread already, Ryan was a starter his rookie year and in the 8 years following his rookie season he's thrown no less than 21 TDs per year.

Hackenberg couldn't even see the field his rookie season.  I don't know what Hackenberg will be, but there was no issue with patience for Falcons.  Ryan was good from day 1.

Yes, the Jets and the fans will be patient with Hackenberg but he must prove a basic level of competence for that patience to remain.

The analogy is absurd. As mentioned in the thread already, Ryan was a starter his rookie year and in the 8 years following his rookie season he's thrown no less than 21 TDs per year.
Hackenberg couldn't even see the field his rookie season.  I don't know what Hackenberg will be, but there was no issue with patience for Falcons.  Ryan was good from day 1.
Yes, the Jets and the fans will be patient with Hackenberg but he must prove a basic level of competence for that patience to remain.

To compare Matt Ryan to Hackenberg is pretty ridiculous. The guy was the 2nd overall pick and frankly if he played in New York we would've ran him out of town in year 4. I remember he threw a pick 6 in his first playoff game. We made him look pretty bad last time we played Atlanta in 2013 and before this season people started calling him a bust. It's only recently he had a running game and a good OL and a good OC in Kyle Shanahan. Kudos to ATL for sticking with him and putting some pieces around him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

To compare Matt Ryan to Hackenberg is pretty ridiculous. The guy was the 2nd overall pick and frankly if he played in New York we would've ran him out of town in year 4. I remember he threw a pick 6 in his first playoff game. We made him look pretty bad last time we played Atlanta in 2013 and before this season people started calling him a bust. It's only recently he had a running game and a good OL and a good OC in Kyle Shanahan. Kudos to ATL for sticking with him and putting some pieces around him.

3 minutes ago, tfine said:

that run him out of town thing is getting old.  I know it was a different franchise, but in his first 4 seasons matt ryan;

missed 2 starts total

on average completed 60% of his passes with a rating of 87.9 (including his first NFL starts as a rookie)

averaged 24 TD passes and 12 int's   (including his first NFL starts as a rookie)

that production gets you a huge extension no matter who you play for.  He has never had a butt fumble or really done anything embarrassing.  every QB throws pick 6's. 

his "contract year" he threw 29 TD's vs 12 int's and had a rating of 92 and won 10 games and went to the playoffs

oh yeah, he has lead his team to the post season 3 times in 4 years including his rookie year and won 13 games his 3rd year in the league

I would give several vestigial body parts for a QB like that after what we have had to endure

1 hour ago, Larz said:

that run him out of town thing is getting old.  I know it was a different franchise, but in his first 4 seasons matt ryan;

missed 2 starts total

on average completed 60% of his passes with a rating of 87.9 (including his first NFL starts as a rookie)

averaged 24 TD passes and 12 int's   (including his first NFL starts as a rookie)

that production gets you a huge extension no matter who you play for.  He has never had a butt fumble or really done anything embarrassing.  every QB throws pick 6's. 

his "contract year" he threw 29 TD's vs 12 int's and had a rating of 92 and won 10 games and went to the playoffs

oh yeah, he has lead his team to the post season 3 times in 4 years including his rookie year and won 13 games his 3rd year in the league

I would give several vestigial body parts for a QB like that after what we have had to endure

Larz, as Captain you led us to the worst season since Kotite. But you've redeemed yourself since the season ended. Still, you're the William Howard Taft of Captains. Only @Bleedin Green was more disastrous. 

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Larz, as Captain you led us to the worst season since Kotite. But you've redeemed yourself since the season ended. Still, you're the William Howard Taft of Captains. Only @Bleedin Green was more disastrous. 

I had us on track to the #1 pick till some douche started a thread to vote me out, what are you getting on about ?

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It's 100% true.  He never practiced as the number 2.  Was never prepared to play in 2016.  Has nothing to do with people making up things like he wasn't good enough to play.  It just isn't close to being fact

You have the cart before the horse. He never practiced as the #2 because he couldn't earn the #2 slot when they gave him the opportunity. Know who else didn't practice as the #2 QB either? Bryce Petty, the guy who beat him out for the job.

You are trying to dispute an absolute fact: after Geno was injured vs Baltimore, Bowles had a competition for the #2 job between Petty and Hackenberg. Petty not only hadn't practiced as the #2; he frankly practiced with the team less than Hackenberg for the prior 2 months, since Petty wasn't activated from his preseason injury to his throwing shoulder and was therefore ineligible to practice. On top of the lack of practice itself, Petty still didn't even know all the types of coverages yet. This was the competition level.

There was an open competition between the two, after the week 7 game, and he simply lost. Nothing he did for the duration of the season gave the coaches any reason to promote him any higher. It doesn't mean he's therefore destined to a career of being a #3 QB, but you and others are simply denying what the team openly admitted.

7 hours ago, RSJ said:

Brady couldnt climb up the depth chart his rookie year either. It doesn't say much about a career trajectory one way or another.

That is not the dispute here. Rather, it's this fabricated - and wholly untrue - idea that the team wouldn't let Hackenberg near the field purely due to principle rather than being due to merit (or in his case, the lack of merit I suppose). I have trouble believing he has been anything other than a disappointment, and was worse than expected when they drafted him. 

We'll see what happens in 2017 and beyond, but so far it's undeniable that the situation hasn't looked good. And the reason it hasn't looked good isn't because the team essentially forbade him from suiting up on gamedays out of principle. It's because - even in a lost season - he couldn't earn his way up to the #2 job (let alone the #1 job, and frankly not even the #3 job, which itself he was only rewarded due to Geno's injury bumping him up).

I fail to see why accepting these facts as being facts upsets anyone, including those that still have high hopes for Hackenberg in the future. Someone can stink horribly as a rookie and still be great, as you point out. However, that future hope doesn't therefore mean that past facts cease to be such.

11 hours ago, Larz said:

missed 2 starts total

Vestigial? What, no confidence to offer up something of real value? :) 

Are any of you guys baseball fans? Does the name Roy Halladay ring a bell? He was one of the most highly rated prospects in baseball after he was drafted by Toronto. He moved through the system pretty quickly, sort of like Doc Gooden did with the Mets. Unfortunately, along the way he developed some major mechanical flaws in his delivery, and when he finally made it to the show, he got knocked around pretty good. Toronto knew what they had in this kid, and instead of panicking and releasing him, labeling him as a "bust", they sent him all the way back down to A ball to learn how to pitch again. The rest, they say, is history. I'm not saying that Hackenberg will have anything close to a Halladay type transformation, but just to show that for a pro team to be doing what the Jets are doing with him is not unprecedented.

Let me be clear:  Hackenberg has exactly one year, from now, to show he's worth keeping and continued development, or he should be cut flat out.

If he is unable or unready to take a meaningful number of snaps this preseason, he should be cut, flat out.  

If he is unable to compete for the #2 job at the very least, he should be cut, flat out.

And if our season goes to sh*t, and he is so unready that he cannot even be played in trash-time, he should be cut, flat out.

Finally, if he is not in a position at years-end where we beleive he can compete in 2018 for the #1 job.....he should be cut, flat out.

This is not about patience, this is about proper expectations from a professional NFL quarterback.  This isn't a daycare, and Hack isn't a baby who needs coddled.

Step up and earn your spot on the team, or frankly, he can sod off and sell insurance or slice meat with the other castoffs of the NFL ratrace.

Just now, Warfish said:

Let me be clear:  Hackenberg has exactly one year, from now, to show he's worth keeping and continued development, or he should be cut flat out.

If he is unable or unready to take a meaningful number of snaps this preseason, he should be cut, flat out.  

If he is unable to compete for the #2 job at the very least, he should be cut, flat out.

And if our season goes to sh*t, and he is so unready that he cannot even be played in trash-time, he should be cut, flat out.

Finally, if he is not in a position at years-end where we beleive he can compete in 2018 for the #1 job.....he should be cut, flat out.

This is not about patience, this is about proper expectations from a professional NFL quarterback.  This isn't a daycare, and Hack isn't a baby who needs coddled.

Step up and earn your spot on the team, or frankly, he can sod off and sell insurance or slice meat with the other castoffs of the NFL ratrace.

Flat out, great post.

On 2/4/2017 at 9:41 PM, tfine said:

Jets fans make heroes out of terrible QBs.  Name a QB (or even a player) who we've run out of town that wasn't one of the the worst in the league by most objective measures?

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Great post its time to start holding the NY Jets responsible and accountable for FAILURE. 

Many pacifists defend the Hackenberg decision of not rushing him because we are grooming him those very same people supported Ryan Fitzpatrick so while NE celebrates yet another Super Bowl victory we remain in NFL hell. 

On 2/5/2017 at 0:46 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

That is not the dispute here. Rather, it's this fabricated - and wholly untrue - idea that the team wouldn't let Hackenberg near the field purely due to principle rather than being due to merit (or in his case, the lack of merit I suppose). I have trouble believing he has been anything other than a disappointment, and was worse than expected when they drafted him. 

We'll see what happens in 2017 and beyond, but so far it's undeniable that the situation hasn't looked good. And the reason it hasn't looked good isn't because the team essentially forbade him from suiting up on gamedays out of principle. It's because - even in a lost season - he couldn't earn his way up to the #2 job (let alone the #1 job, and frankly not even the #3 job, which itself he was only rewarded due to Geno's injury bumping him up).

I fail to see why accepting these facts as being facts upsets anyone, including those that still have high hopes for Hackenberg in the future. Someone can stink horribly as a rookie and still be great, as you point out. However, that future hope doesn't therefore mean that past facts cease to be such.

When they called it a "redshirt year" the expectation was the Ryan Fitzpatrick was going to start 16 games, he'd put forth a similar performance, and we'd be in wildcard contention.  Things detoured from that plan, and Hackenberg still wasn't even considered.  How people can think anything but that being a very bad sign is hard to figure.

35 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

This team is sooooooooo far away right now it isn't even funny.

In over 40 years of being a fan I don't think I have ever been so down on this team.

It just flat out sucks right now.

It's really bad right now

Just now, gEYno said:

When they called it a "redshirt year" the expectation was the Ryan Fitzpatrick was going to start 16 games, he'd put forth a similar performance, and we'd be in wildcard contention.  Things detoured from that plan, and Hackenberg still wasn't even considered.  How people can think anything but that being a very bad sign is hard to figure.

Macc and Bowles conspired to keep Hackenberg off the field to save both of their jobs. 

7 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Jets fans make heroes out of terrible QBs.  Name a QB (or even a player) who we've run out of town that wasn't one of the the worst in the league by most objective measures?

Fitz was the worst starting Qb in the NFL last year.  He couldn't throw past 5 yards and had 6 picks in one game.  His backup, Geno, had a torn ACL.  Petyy came in and sucked before getting hurt

And they still wouldn't let Hack even play in garbage time of a meaningless week 17 game!

Archived