It's important to remember...

DMan77

Just a message for those feeling bad or anxious tonight...

I live in the heart of New England, so sometimes it's easy to give more weight to football than it actually deserves... I think it's important to remember that sports are a distraction and not life and death.

Sports don't matter all that much. Football is a game... A pretty silly one really. It doesn't change your everyday life. It doesn't solve problems or save anyone or make the world a better place. The team with the most wins doesn't get to cure cancer or improve the world and they sure as hell don't care about your individual well being... They get a shiny trophy and that's about it. 

It's easy to tie heavy emotions into these games because it's a great distraction and an outlet for our natural competitive human nature... But these games aren't life and death. There's no real need for it. They come and go and life goes on not really caring about football.

Yes it's fun to win. We all want success and we want to feel like part of a group that won...  And it's a pain when you don't... But shake your fist and move on. It's a game. It doesn't need to change your outlook on life. You don't mean less because your team didn't play as well with a ball and the other fans don't mean more to the world because they won. That's silly.

I'll hear about this for weeks, and when someone tries to rub it in my face I'll ask "Yes they won. How does that change your life?"... And the answers people give end up sounding pretty damn silly. We all have more important things to care about.

Anyway... This is just a message for those that are feeling furious or bummed or just plain bad... Because when I was younger I did let these things get to me. It really mattered to me. I lost sleep over games... Then I realized how utterly silly that was.

None of it matters! It's a game. A lot of people will find some sort of artificial self worth in their team winning, which is kind of sad on it's own, but even that will fade. It's not important when you add everything up.

Just a game folks, just a game.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

It is just a game but its nice to root for a winner. 

No doubt. I love the Jets and I want to see them win and celebrate with all of you... But I think I also realize that just because I want to ride that super high doesn't mean I also need to sink in a super low with they don't win... If that makes sense. 

Just now, DMan77 said:

No doubt. I love the Jets and I want to see them win and celebrate with all of you... But I think I also realize that just because I want to ride that super high doesn't mean I also need to sink in a super low with they don't win... If that makes sense. 

Makes perfect sense

Thank you and the even more laughable thing about all this is those people on a Jets board getting so worked up over a game the Jets had absolutely nothing to do with(yeah I get it they're the rivals blah blah blah)

Are you Jets fans or just Pats haters? They won. Good for them. I wish it was the jets but it isn't. Tough luck for us as Jets fans

Of course, its just entertainment. At the end of the day people have to go back to  their lives. This crap is not important. People will wake up in the same circumstance they live in, and in the same city they live in. Football does not change that. This is why sports give people in sh*t cities something to cheer about, but at the end of the day they still live in a sh*t city and their lives probably suck really bad. 

To all those people, go ahead and enjoy tonight! Tomorrow you have to go back to work in your crappy town. 

1 minute ago, JETSxWRATH™ said:

Thank you and the even more laughable thing about all this is those people on a Jets board getting so worked up over a game the Jets had absolutely nothing to do with(yeah I get it they're the rivals blah blah blah)

Are you Jets fans or just Pats haters? They won. Good for them. I wish it was the jets but it isn't. Tough luck for us as Jets fans

Yes I mean, I'll be honest it's tough for those of us here in NE... Every good friend I have, every coworker, every Joe Shmo I pass is going to be arrogantly talking about them for a solid 2 months... So it is a mindset that you sort of have to "wake up" to, for lack of a better term... It's easy to get bitter and left it affect you when you're bombarded by it... Until you realize it really does not matter. The sports team someone else likes winning does not put that person on some sort of step above you. It doesn't mean anything to the world you live in. When we really sit back and think about it we'll realize that we all have a million other things going on in life that need our focus and attention and care.

Just an excellent game. As a Jet Fan I hate the friggin' Patriots but you have to respect what they have done. Brady will go down as an all-time great and so will Belichek. Wow that really hurt to write man but it doesn't make it any less true. Look at the bright side. Maybe Brady retires now. Fat chance.

I can't be upset about it. The Jets were never in it this year and it's not like they lost this game. Imagine what the Falcon's and their fan base feel's right now.

15 hours ago, DMan77 said:

I live in the heart of New England, so sometimes it's easy to give more weight to football than it actually deserves... I think it's important to remember that sports are a distraction and not life and death.

Sports don't matter all that much. Football is a game... A pretty silly one really. It doesn't change your everyday life. It doesn't solve problems or save anyone or make the world a better place. The team with the most wins doesn't get to cure cancer or improve the world and they sure as hell don't care about your individual well being... They get a shiny trophy and that's about it. 

It's easy to tie heavy emotions into these games because it's a great distraction and an outlet for our natural competitive human nature... But these games aren't life and death. There's no real need for it. They come and go and life goes on not really caring about football.

Yes it's fun to win. We all want success and we want to feel like part of a group that won...  And it's a pain when you don't... But shake your fist and move on. It's a game. It doesn't need to change your outlook on life. You don't mean less because your team didn't play as well with a ball and the other fans don't mean more to the world because they won. That's silly.

I'll hear about this for weeks, and when someone tries to rub it in my face I'll ask "Yes they won. How does that change your life?"... And the answers people give end up sounding pretty damn silly. We all have more important things to care about.

Anyway... This is just a message for those that are feeling furious or bummed or just plain bad... Because when I was younger I did let these things get to me. It really mattered to me. I lost sleep over games... Then I realized how utterly silly that was.

None of it matters! It's a game. A lot of people will find some sort of artificial self worth in their team winning, which is kind of sad on it's own, but even that will fade. It's not important when you add everything up.

A lot of life consists of quite a bit of bullsh*t we have to deal with.  Sports are supposed to be an escape, with the hopes that it'll help make us feel a little better when times get tough.  So when we watch a cheating franchise win its 5th ring, while the Jets are run by a bunch of clowns....it definitely stings. 

The OP can kindly go f*ck himself. 

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A lot of life consists of quite a bit of bullsh*t we have to deal with.  Sports are supposed to be an escape, with the hopes that it'll help make us feel a little better when times get tough.  So when we watch a cheating franchise win its 5th ring, while the Jets are run by a bunch of clowns....it definitely stings. 

The OP can kindly go f*ck himself. 

Yawn. Nah I'm good. 

I would recommend finding a second escape if sports if this drags you down too much. You're kind of gambling with your 'escape' if you use sports.

Also, stinging is fine really. We're all frustrated by it. That's totally normal... 

This is more for the people who lost sleep or broke something or punched a hole in the wall... Sports are just not worth carrying that kind of anger for too long. 

8 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The word fan is short for fanatic which means a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal ..Does that sound like a person ruled by logical behaviour?  :)

Haha! I think we can all be as fanatic as we want when the Jets win! 

But I just don't personally feel that getting super excited and fanatic when the Jets win doesn't mean I need to sink too far down when they don't, or in this case when something happens with a different team... 

We all want the escape and distraction and highs and fun and thrills of winning. But not winning shouldn't keep us up at night for too long. We can keep that "single minded zeal" for the Jets without getting hatefully angry over a game.

It doesn't keep me up at night but it's insulting to suggest we shouldn't be pissed off sometimes.  We invest a lot of time and money on the team we root for.  It's part of our identity, and we take a lot of verbal abuse merely for being associated with a loser franchise.  So we should want a better product than we get for that loyalty.  And simply changing teams is not an option. 

If we're supposed to gain joy from wins (which I do, as rare as they happen some years), we should be allowed to take on a little misery too when the franchise sucks without fellow fans telling us we need to essentially get a life.  I usually laugh off the Jets suckiness but watching the Patriots win a title on top of that in the manner in which they won sucks.  I'll get over it in a couple days or so, but in the meantime, I'll have to avoid everything associated with football coverage because all they're doing is blowing Brady.  If it's "just a game" then why are they spending 24 hours a day talking about a guy who throws an oblong object around like he cured cancer? 

And yes, I do have numerous other escapes.  But this is a Jets message board and that's what I tend to discuss here:  The Jets.  And a thread like this one is irksome. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It doesn't keep me up at night but it's insulting to suggest we shouldn't be pissed off sometimes.  We invest a lot of time and money on the team we root for.  It's part of our identity, and we take a lot of verbal abuse merely for being associated with a loser franchise.  So we should want a better product than we get for that loyalty.  And simply changing teams is not an option. 

If we're supposed to gain joy from wins, we should be allowed to take on a little misery too when the franchise sucks without fellow fans telling us we need to "get a life".  

I mean it's a choice you make if you want to be pissed off or not. You're of course allowed to do and to feel how ever you would like. I never said otherwise.

To me it's just a little futile to go off the rails over a game, is all... Especially when it actually doesn't even involve the team we're loyal to.

But again, do whatever you want. It's your life at the end of the day. If you want to be pissed off or bitter or angry, then that's your call... No one said get a life. 

I'm simply  tying to give people something to think about. Maybe I can convince one person who is really struggling today to zoom out a little bit and see there are other things to focus on.

2 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I'm simply  tying to give people something to think about. Maybe I can convince one person who is really struggling today to zoom out a little bit and see there are other things to focus on.

Its hard to avoid everything associated with football coverage because all they're doing is blowing Brady, everywhere, and not just on sports channels.  If it's "just a game" then why are people spending 24 hours a day talking about a guy who throws an oblong object around like he just cured cancer?  It's vomit-inducing. 

I feel like I need to clear it up a bit... I'm not saying that if you can't just turn around and whistle down the street after this season that you're somehow failing or a bad person.

Thats not my intention. It's also not my intention to say that you shouldn't feel anything. Of course we're going to feel things! Good, terrible, and worse. I feel bad when they lose! It's a bummer and my heart rate goes up. But only for a bit.

The point of this is to try and catch ourselves when it goes beyond being bummed and jumps into the realm of seething anger and hate and remotes being slammed on the ground and kittens getting punched.

This is just a post suggesting you take a deep breath and think about how many other things you have in your real, everyday life and to maybe try to figure out how to cap how emotionally scarred you get over these things. 

That's all... It's just a game folks.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Its hard to avoid everything associated with football coverage because all they're doing is blowing Brady, everywhere, and not just on sports channels.  If it's "just a game" then why are people spending 24 hours a day talking about a guy who throws an oblong object around like he just cured cancer?  It's vomit-inducing. 

Trust me I hear ya. I'm right here in Boston.

And honestly when the Jets win I'll talk about their players and the game and the whole damn season nonstop and excitedly for a while too.

But in these situations when that's happening on the other side it is hard to take in all this media and come out feeling fine. No doubt it takes some work and some focus.. It's easier to just say F this and let your emotions slide down the hill sometimes.

Which is sort of why i made this post. Just to hopefully remind one or two people that it is possible to roll your eyes and think all this coverage is crazy, and then refocus on the more important things in your world.

But this onslaught will pass. Everyday will bring more news, more stories, more work, more life events... Ya it'll always be there but in a month it's just an old story. It'll never be a fun one, but time will push it to the background.

On February 5, 2017 at 11:09 PM, DMan77 said:

I honestly don't know any Pat's fans personally and as a Jet fan I have no idea what it feels like to go to 7 SBs over the past 15 years and win 5 of them.

You are right with your big picture assessment of this but given the suffering we have all gone through over the last 48 years I can only dream about what that feels like.

I do have a buddy who is a Packer fan and he told me 3 years ago that they have had a HOF QB behind center for the last 23 years.  Again I have no idea what that feels like either.

It's always darkest before the dawn and I have to believe our time is coming soon.

The game the other night really made me reflect on how hard it has been for us to get to the promised land with B&B in the way all these years.

Kinda like being a Pacer fan during the Jordan years.

It's going to be our turn soon.  We have to keep the faith.

That 5th SB by our arch rivals the other night must make the Jet's determination stronger than ever. 

I honestly don't know any Pat's fans personally and as a Jet fan I have no idea what it feels like to go to 7 SBs over the past 15 years and win 5 of them.
You are right with your big picture assessment of this but given the suffering we have all gone through over the last 48 years I can only dream about what that feels like.
I do have a buddy who is a Packer fan and he told me 3 years ago that they have had a HOF QB behind center for the last 23 years.  Again I have no idea what that feels like either.
It's always darkest before the dawn and I have to believe our time is coming soon.
The game the other night really made me reflect on how hard it has been for us to get to the promised land with B&B in the way all these years.
Kinda like being a Pacer fan during the Jordan years.
It's going to be our turn soon.  We have to keep the faith.
That 5th SB by our arch rivals the other night must make the Jet's determination stronger than ever. 

I've been telling myself this for 48 years.
However it and me are really getting old.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived