Report: Jets Targeting Jeremy Bates for QB Coach Spot

JetNation

bates.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

The biggest vacancy remaining on the Jets coaching staff may be the most important one in the building at Florham Park, and it’s now being reported by NFL insider Albert Breer, that the Jets are targeting former Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates for the role.

Bates called plays for Seattle for one season under Pete Carroll before being fired after the 2010 season.

Bates last worked as the quarterbacks coach for the Chicago Bears in 2009 and has also had stops in Denver, Tampa Bay and with the Jets as their quarterbacks coach in 2005.

The list of quarterbacks Bates has worked with include Chad Pennington, Vinny Testaverde, Brooks Bollinger, Jay Cutler, Patrick Ramsey.

A Bates hire would likely lead to speculation of the team’s interest in Jay Cutler with whom Bates worked in both Denver and Chicago.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
dEaSAi-VepQ

Click here to read the full story...

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 

Per sources, the Jets are targeting ex-Seahawks offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates to be their new quarterbacks coach.

Bates comes highly recommended by Jon Gruden and Mike Shanahan, and worked with new Jets OC John Morton under Pete Carroll at USC.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 9m9 minutes ago

Had him in mind before locking up John Morton. Was last a QB coach in 2012

Was Jets QB coach in 2005...Coached w/Morton at USC

On January 19, 2009, USC Trojans head coach Pete Carroll hired Bates to replace outgoing coach Carl Smith, who had only taken the quarterbacks job two weeks earlier before moving back to the NFL. Smith had replaced Steve Sarkisian, who had taken the head coaching position of the Washington Huskies after serving as both quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator; John Morton had been promoted to offensive coordinator. Bates called plays from the field while Morton worked from the coaches' booth in the press box, similar to a previous arrangement run by the Trojans during the 2005-2006 seasons between Sarkisian and Lane Kiffin, respectively.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

A Bates hire would likely lead to speculation of the team’s interest in Jay Cutler with whom Bates worked in both Denver and Chicago. 

People will freak if we go after Cutler but I like the guy.  Yeah he's a bit of a douche but there really has been not a lot of sign that he is a terrible team mate.  He has one of the best arms in football and he is a tough guy who will stand in and take a shot to make a throw.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

People will freak if we go after Cutler but I like the guy.  Yeah he's a bit of a douche but there really has been not a lot of sign that he is a terrible team mate.  He has one of the best arms in football and he is a tough guy who will stand in and take a shot to make a throw.

Jay Cutler is 1000X better than Ryan Fitzpatrick and any QB on our roster. 

The other option is Matt Barkley who he coached at USC.

Also, interesting connection with Peyton Manning:

LOS ANGELES - USC quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates has something in common with his protege, Matt Barkley.

Like Barkley, Bates enrolled in school early. As such, the coaches at the University of Tennessee couldn't work with him until spring practice. So a fellow freshman took Bates aside and tutored him. The freshman just so happened to be Peyton Manning, the reigning SEC Freshman of the Year.

"He grabbed me and taught me the entire offense, and it really left an impression," Bates said after a recent USC practice. "He taught me the run game, run-blocking assignments, pass routes. I was only there a year, but boy, did I grow."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bates-52046-coach-quarterbacks.html

41 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

T

LOS ANGELES - USC quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates has something in common with his protege, Matt Barkley.

Like Barkley, Bates enrolled in school early. As such, the coaches at the University of Tennessee couldn't work with him until spring practice. So a fellow freshman took Bates aside and tutored him. The freshman just so happened to be Peyton Manning, the reigning SEC Freshman of the Year.

"He grabbed me and taught me the entire offense, and it really left an impression," Bates said after a recent USC practice. "He taught me the run game, run-blocking assignments, pass routes. I was only there a year, but boy, did I grow."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bates-52046-coach-quarterbacks.html

So can we get him to be the QB coach?

Well I guess its okay but my only question is what has he been doing with himself? I don't think this hiring essentially means Cutler is a lock to be a Jet but rather they either intend him to work with Hack and Petty or draft one of the QB'S if they fall to the Jets. If Cutler becomes a Jet they better have a plan B if and when Cutler inevitably goes down.

Listen, how many old jags do we need here before the carousel is finally shut off.
Cutler's is done, another QB who at best is two to three year poor answer to the question. The guy can't stay healthy and his best days are in the rear view mirror.
We need to cut bait and roll the dice. If Watson is there at 6 we grab him. Cut or trade Hack or Petty and still bring in Glennon.
We need young healthy men who can play for us for the next ten years if we hit the jackpot with one.
Let Glennon start and the best of the two remaining backup. If we keep Petty he should win the job as backup. We can then sit Watson for at least a year and develop him slowly. My guess if that at the beginning of the following season both Glennon and Petty will have a young rookie looking to take there jobs.
My guess is by the third year Watson will be a solid starter and we will have the luxury of having a two other solid QB of whom one could be an exceptional trading prize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Listen, how many old jags do we need here before the carousel is finally shut off.
Cutler's is done, another QB who at best is two to three year poor answer to the question. The guy can't stay healthy and his best days are in the rear view mirror.
We need to cut bait and roll the dice. If Watson is there at 6 we grab him. Cut or trade Hack or Petty and still bring in Glennon.
We need young healthy men who can play for us for the next ten years if we hit the jackpot with one.
Let Glennon start and the best of the two remaining backup. If we keep Petty he should win the job as backup. We can then sit Watson for at least a year and develop him slowly. My guess if that at the beginning of the following season both Glennon and Petty will have a young rookie looking to take there jobs.
My guess is by the third year Watson will be a solid starter and we will have the luxury of having a two other solid QB of whom one could be an exceptional trading prize.

WHEN WILL YOU GUYS REALIZE WATSON IS NOT A FIRST ROUND QB, OR A FRANCHISE QB?

4 minutes ago, fltflo said:

They said that about Brady too.

His post has more to do with him love  for a certain Texas Tech QB than it does about Watson  . You have a choice between a kid who led his team and I mean Led, to the National championship game in college football on back to back seasons, had 2 of the best performances in the championship game in forever, losing his 1st time and willing his team to victory on his 2nd chance, or a kid whose team  hasn't even won his own conference  .

Let's pick the latter .

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Where has bates been the last few years?

Developing high school QBs out at Mike Shanahan QB Masters Project along side Trent Dilfer, Sean McVay, Mike McDaniel, Rudy Carpenter, Richard Bartel, Steve Beuerlein, Will Harringer, Charlie Frye, Quincy Avery, Kevin O'Connell and Richmond Flowers III.  From their website:

JEREMY BATES IS ONE OF THE MOST RESPECTED, EXPERIENCED AND SOUGHT AFTER QB COACHES IN PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL. THE SON OF FORMER NFL AND COLLEGE COACH JIM BATES, JEREMY WAS A BALL BOY AT TEXAS TECH WHEN HE WAS 5 YEARS OLD AND HAS NEVER MISSED A TRAINING CAMP SINCE. JEREMY LETTERED AT QUARTERBACK AT BOTH TENNESSEE (1995) AND RICE (1997 & 1999) WHILE ALSO PLAYING BASEBALL AT RICE. HE RECEIVED HIS BACHELOR’S DEGREE IN MATHEMATICS FROM RICE IN 1999. HIS COACHING CAREER BEGAN IN 2002 AS AN OFFENSIVE QUALITY CONTROL COACH FOR THE TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS. HE HAS SINCE RISEN THROUGH THE RANKS WORKING UNDER SOME OF THE MOST ICONIC HEAD COACHES WHILE DEVELOPING HIS OWN REPUTATION AS A QUARTERBACK AND OFFENSIVE COACHING PRODIGY.

Archived