A lot of negativity but I am feeling good...

Maxman

I will get flamed for this but:

1. Keeping Bowles was the right thing to do. He didn't have a good year but he is a good coach that will get better.

2. The new assistant coaching staff hires are impressive.

3. The success of next season depends a lot on what veterans they let go. B Marsh vs Sheldon? What to do with Revis? Does Mangold get another year? Those questions will form the locker room and if Bowles wants to be back in 2018, he has to get control of that locker room.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Captain Smith is an experienced commander who has navigated these treacherous seas his entire life.

2. This ship is wonderful; the engines are State of the art, we have every luxury from the far corners of the world, and the hull! My, some have even called it unsinkable!

3. We will be in New York in record time, they say! I love sailing! 

44 minutes ago, Maxman said:

1. Keeping Bowles was the right thing to do. He didn't have a good year but he is a good coach that will get better.

I believe you will demonstrably and unequivocally be proven incorrect in this assessment.

They're nobodies from the sub-sub-Coordinator ranks.  Anyone who claims to have been familiar with them, or better yet rooting for them to get our open jobs, before they got those jobs.....is either a liar, or knows WAY too much about assistant position coaches of other teams.

3. The success of next season depends a lot on what veterans they let go. B Marsh vs Sheldon? What to do with Revis? Does Mangold get another year? Those questions will form the locker room and if Bowles wants to be back in 2018, he has to get control of that locker room.

Agreed, sort of.  Decisions on our veterans will be vital to future development, but cutting them will only make us worse on the field in 2017.  

Bowles will never regain the locker room, he's far too soft and ineffective as a Leader.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I agree with 2 and 3.

13 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

This is traditionally the feel good time of year but this year there REALLY is less to feel good about than in years past.  I can't think of one thing I'm jazzed about and looking forward to, yet.    

And there is a good reason that you feel this way, as do I and many others:

You have to go back to 1975 to find another season where the Jets either weren't coming off of an optimistic season or a change in head coach or a change at quarterback.   If you go back through our history and think about the off-season mindset for every season since then there has always been something to be excited or interested about either because of playoff optimism or because change was coming.  Just about the only benefit of the constant revolving door at head coach and quarterback is that it would peak fan interest every February. 

This year, we have neither. It feels like we are just going to pick up where January left off because, essentially, we are.

SAR I

A real low as a Jet fan, N.E Win yet another ring, we have the worst QB situation in the NFL. We have the biggest set of douche Vets in the league, on big money and dogging it. We have a HC who has demonstrated time and time again he just can't Coach. 

We apparently can't Draft any one of note in the first two rounds, especially round two, which all appear to be busts. The coaching hires, are rejects, and some from worse Franchises (Browns).

The only bright spot is NE did not go 16-0 and Win everything. Any improvement will have some on here saying we've turned the corner. The truth is without a real HC and a QB it's more of the same. When that pr@ck Drafts a Corner in April, instead of someone that can score points I will lose my sh*t.

Its time to slash and burn but it won't happen, the chuckle brothers will be to busy trying to save their hides, then save the Jets. 

What evidence is there to suggest that he's a good coach?

I think he has major timeout/clock management issues - like kneeling out each half, calling a timeout to decide whether or not to challenge, almost never having more than 1 timeout at the end of close games, etc.

The locker room fell apart on him in year 2. During one of the late year pressers, he explained what went wrong with the season by explaining that they lost a couple early games and then it spiraled out of control. Well where was he to stop that? That's not encouraging.

He hasn't been able to do much with this defense, even though that's his specialty. Yeah, our secondary was awful last season... but if you gave Bill B. a d-line with Sheldon Richardson, Mo Wilkerson, Leonard Williams and Steve McClendon, he'd find a way to cover would he not? Oh and why the heck was Sheldon playing OLB? And why did he keep running Revis out there in man to man with 10 yard cushions on receivers?

As far as the roster goes, we don't have a quarterback, a left tackle, a pass rusher or a #1 corner. Maybe not even a #2 corner. Those are basically the 5 most important positions and we're 0 for 5. We have one player under 25 with star potential. Our best vets (Mangold, Marshall, Forte, Harris, Revis, etc.) are almost all on the verge of retirement with the exception of guys like Mo Wilkerson, who apparently has his own major issue with motivation/dedication. Rounding out our most talented players, there's Sheldon Richardson, who most of us would be happy to get a 4th round pick for. We drafted a 1st round LB who we hoped would beat out Erin Henderson in training camp.   Then we took a 2nd round QB who needed major development --- and buried him on the roster so he couldn't develop. People point to guys like Robby Anderson, Deon Simon and Quincy Enunwa but every team has those. Cleveland has those guys, too. This is about as barren as an NFL roster can get.

15 minutes ago, stoicsentry said:

I think he has major timeout/clock management issues - like kneeling out each half, calling a timeout to decide whether or not to challenge, almost never having more than 1 timeout at the end of close games, etc.

The locker room fell apart on him in year 2. During one of the late year pressers, he explained what went wrong with the season by explaining that they lost a couple early games and then it spiraled out of control. Well where was he to stop that? That's not encouraging.

He hasn't been able to do much with this defense, even though that's his specialty. Yeah, our secondary was awful last season... but if you gave Bill B. a d-line with Sheldon Richardson, Mo Wilkerson, Leonard Williams and Steve McClendon, he'd find a way to cover would he not? Oh and why the heck was Sheldon playing OLB? And why did he keep running Revis out there in man to man with 10 yard cushions on receivers?

As far as the roster goes, we don't have a quarterback, a left tackle, a pass rusher or a #1 corner. Maybe not even a #2 corner. Those are basically the 5 most important positions and we're 0 for 5. We have one player under 25 with star potential. Our best vets (Mangold, Marshall, Forte, Harris, Revis, etc.) are almost all on the verge of retirement with the exception of guys like Mo Wilkerson, who apparently has his own major issue with motivation/dedication. Rounding out our most talented players, there's Sheldon Richardson, who most of us would be happy to get a 4th round pick for. We drafted a 1st round LB who we hoped would beat out Erin Henderson in training camp.   Then we took a 2nd round QB who needed major development --- and buried him on the roster so he couldn't develop. People point to guys like Robby Anderson, Deon Simon and Quincy Enunwa but every team has those. Cleveland has those guys, too. This is about as barren as an NFL roster can get.

Nailed it, Sam Darnold 2018!

2 hours ago, stoicsentry said:

The eye test.

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

No reason to get "flamed" for stating facts.  The team was basically in the same spot after the 2014 (4-12) season

and they turned it around.  The key going forward is to get off this yo-yo cycle and build sustainable success

I've said a couple of times around here that I really do think this Jets team have talent. They can be competitive. I'm not saying they're the best team in the world, obviously, but they have some good pieces.

Outside of needing better play/players at QB, CB and LT the single biggest thing that will decide if the jets are competitive or not next year will be effort. 

The Jets quit last year and we know it. Blame it on lack of coaching or leadership or infighting or whatever else. That's a whole other convo.

But I do believe if they play together they can be a competitive team out there. They should not be complete pushovers, if they just play for each other.

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

1 - Stevie Wonder is a GREAT NASCAR driver

2 - Mr Spock should have been Captain of the Enterprise

3 - Tom Brady is not gay, he is the bestest in the whole wide world

1 - Bowles just totally lost me last year.  He was dreadful in every aspect of being a coach and his lying to protect lazy ass players annoyed me to no end.  He is going to have to be brilliant as a coach this year just to get back to even.

2 - I agree, I like these assistants just fine.  We know we re not getting A grade guys because of the teams situation.

3 -If we get rid of all of the dead wood, don;t bring in any new dead wood and fail horribly this year while still having a good draft it will have been a good year.

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

Max...I think Bowles has had a good off season so far. He fired two lousy offensive coaches, and 3-4 bad defensive coaches. I agree that the new guys seem impressive enough, with a strong leaning to guys who are proven "teachers." If you are looking for signs of the growth of a coach, I think we are seeing some. The onus is now on Macc to solve what you listed in #3 above. I would favor kicking the first three to the curb ASAP, and see how Mangold is doing after surgery. Clubhouse lawyers are never popular on a team, especially when they are overpaid bums that don't perform. This is a huge opportunity for Macc to shape this team. I hope he seizes it.

Kraft, Goodell and Trump, among other cohorts, all point and laugh as Woody scurries around trying to impress them.

There are 3 types of owners in this league.

Those with sway: Kraft, Jerry Jones, the Mara family, Rooney, Bowlen

Those that pathetically try to win the approval of those with sway: Woody, Ross, Benson, Brown, Haslam

And those that understand the politics, don't give a ****, and do it their way anyway: Bisciotti, Allen, Richardson, Blank

2 of those groups can lead to success. We are part of the other.

This really has nothing to do with Max's thread... but then, it has everything to do with it too.

Just now, Maxman said:

LOL, no way they fire him during the playoff run next season. That would be crazy.

hmmm...let's see

On offense, the best you can say is that we have some up and coming WR's.  The rest of the group well, sorry, sure hope the draft and free agency helps.

On defense, Leonard Williams. Period.

Sorry don't see much optimism there.

Just now, RoadFan said:

OK, Max...

Please list specific reasons from 2016 explaining why you think "Bowles is a good head coach." 

Because many of us can't think of any...

I know you asked Max, but I can offer at least 2.

1. His challenges were improved. I think he had one of the better record for challenges in the NFL last year.

2. Most of the young players played with effort. And those young players are the future.

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. His challenges were improved. I think he had one of the better record for challenges in the NFL last year.

2. Most of the young players played with effort. And those young players are the future.

1)His challenges?  Well that is digging deep....

2) Virtually all young players play with effort.  They are trying to stick in the NFL.  And some of the veterans played with zero effort.  Your second point has no validity whatsoever.

I would say you offered 1/4 of a reason.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

jiFfM.jpg

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

1)His challenges?  Well that is digging deep....

2) Virtually all young players play with effort.  They are trying to stick in the NFL.  And some of the veterans played with zero effort.  Your second point has no validity whatsoever.

What do you mean it has no validity? I don't think Vernon Gholston played with effort, do you?

So there you go.

You don't see some college teams putting out effort. Don't you think they want to stand out and make money?

BTW, I think Bowles was bad last year.

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

Keeping Todd Bowles was the right thing to do. 

Image result for flamethrower pics

23 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Ignoring-You.gif

53 minutes ago, peebag said:

hmmm...let's see

On offense, the best you can say is that we have some up and coming WR's.  The rest of the group well, sorry, sure hope the draft and free agency helps.

On defense, Leonard Williams. Period.

Sorry don't see much optimism there.

They also have a draft this year. So there will be new players. Some of them could be good lol.

Some young talent on the OLine. A rising young star in Christian Hackenberg.

Muhammad Wilkerson back to 100%. A 3rd round draft pick that they get in return for Sheldon Richardon.

Revis plays better a year after his surgery. New assistant coaches that can properly implement the vision that Coach Bowles set forth.

Playoffs.

58 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

OK, Max...

Please list specific reasons from 2016 explaining why you think "Bowles is a good head coach." 

Because many of us can't think of any...

He is willing to adapt to implement his vision. He knows defense and knows that he has to make changes all around to improve. So many coaches refuse to do that. He is holding people accountable and not making excuses. He admitted that speaking to the media was a mistake the day after the season ended his first year (when he said Fitz was the starter). He is learning.

Impossible to correct for the drop in QB play mid season last year. This year they will have a better long term plan.

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

They also have a draft this year. So there will be new players. Some of them could be good lol.

Muhammad Wilkerson back to 100%. A 3rd round draft pick that they get in return for Sheldon Richardon.

Revis plays better a year after his surgery. New assistant coaches that can properly implement the vision that Coach Bowles set forth.

Playoffs.

Agree with all but this. Out of here, quickly please!

13 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Playoffs.

Dude....line two......stop in the name of love before you break my heart.

Archived