Do we, at least, all agree we need a QB?

Pointdexter

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Problem is the GM already used up his mulligan in 2016. It's unlikely the team would end up with Darnold unless they end up with the #1 pick by merit. If they were so bad as to finish that poorly, the GM would be fired and his replacement would be the one making that pick (and getting the credit for it). Fine for the fans, but not fine for the current GM, so it's not likely to happen IMO.

I expect some type of splash at QB this year. Whether it's a veteran (Glennon, Taylor, Cutler, Romo, or some other 8-figure/yr veteran) or drafting one very early. No way he's going into the season with Petty, Hackenberg, and a cheap warm body or late round pick. Not after his embarrassing 2016 with Fitzpatrick/Hackenberg.

SOJ. Agreed. Just sad. 

4 hours ago, 20andOut said:

First off Gino is no longer a Jet, he is a free agent.

I don't understand everybody giving up on Hack already because one spiteful, just fired coach anonymously said he sucks. None of us, or the media have seen enough of him to make a decision either way.

Lastly as far as the draft the unanimous opinion seems to be that none of these guys have first round grades even though three of the four mentioned will be gone early in first. My choice would be Watson,with the experience of two national championship games.  Don't like Kizer, didn't see much if any of Trubinsky(don't like the one season wonder factor) or Mahomes.

geno is done in ny unless the giaints want him.  most likely he'll go to tampa or the doltfins.  but on to the jet qb situation.  tons has been written on it here.  there are an awful lot of options.  imo hack isn't quite as raw as the unamed jets source is saying but it's still doubtful that he'll be a good nfl qb this season.  the jets could go after a guy like glennon and sign him with a 3 or 4 year contract.  hack could either develop or not.  glennon could actually be the guy they've been looking for and is certainly better than going with the usual suspects for 2 seasons or more.  and if they get a free agent qb they can use the 6 pick on just about any other position besides qb and dline.  get the oline squared away and glennon could be the guy.

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

hahahahaha we need a new rule just for Glennon? that my friend is laughable. You make some good points and I dont have right time now (at work) to dig up examples to show you what I'm referring to but lets not get crazy. Are you related or what? 

maybe it's a highlight reel but those are some pretty nice throws.  and did you see some of the bounce passes the goat threw on sunday?  just saying.

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I agree 100%.  I will say though that I think a really talented QB can rise above a mediocre coach and/or OC. 

hmmmm....matty ice's qbr for the sb was 144.  he could've been at 156 and quinn/shanahan still would've screwed up the second half.

35 minutes ago, rangerous said:

geno is done in ny unless the giaints want him.  most likely he'll go to tampa or the doltfins.  but on to the jet qb situation.  tons has been written on it here.  there are an awful lot of options.  imo hack isn't quite as raw as the unamed jets source is saying but it's still doubtful that he'll be a good nfl qb this season.  the jets could go after a guy like glennon and sign him with a 3 or 4 year contract.  hack could either develop or not.  glennon could actually be the guy they've been looking for and is certainly better than going with the usual suspects for 2 seasons or more.  and if they get a free agent qb they can use the 6 pick on just about any other position besides qb and dline.  get the oline squared away and glennon could be the guy.

I agree. Maccagnan has heard all the boos, even if he wanted him back. Wisdom aside, it was one thing to bring him back for 2016 since he was still under contract for cheap; that was bringing him back just due to inertia (kind of). It's another thing to actively seek out re-signing him to a new contract. It's not happening.

My take. Glennon will not be a Jet, period. It is more likely we sign an older veteran that has higher upside than Fitz. I'm convinced, contrary to popular belief, the Jets actually expect Hack to develop into our eventual starter. If that's the case, why bring in Glennon. For that matter, why would Glennon want to insert himself onto a team that may be more interested in an in house candidate as the long term solution. Same goes for TT. Look out for Cutler!

We need a QB although I am not sure the team's long term interests are served spending bigly this season unless it solves the long term need. I don't see anybody in the draft worth what it would cost to move up. I also don't see good value in acquiring some team's old castoff. I'm not convinced Glennon is nearly as good as his proponents say and I definitely do not think he is presently worth what he will probably receive as a contract. 

I would rather run with what we have and maybe pick up another mid-round draft pick this season. Let Mac develop the rest of the roster so if we can broker a good trade or draft pick in 2018 at QB we have a strong team ready. If we have aspirations of drafting a QB in 2017 and beyond we need a coaching staff capable of working with young QBs. The current QB roster of Petty and Hack will be good experience for that. 

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

soooooo....NE winning had nothing to do with Brady and BB. 

uh.....you forget that the highly esteemed brady/bellichicken duo got them a 28-3 deficit in the first place.  i'm not saying that the patsies didn't keep playing and were rewarded with the win but they sure had luck on their side.  go read the espn piece on the game odds as it was unfolding.  it is astonishing.

23 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I refuse to get onboard with the Jets drafting a QB this year... They're very meh to me... Not worth the 6th pick.

I'm not ready to give up on Hack.

I expect a journeyman or Geno to be on the team and beat out Petty.

A journeyman like Hoyer or the like CANNOT QB this team instead of Petty.  Petty should be given a chance over any of those stiffs. If the Jets can get Glennon to sign here without breaking the bank so be it.  He's still young and MIGHT have some upside. Otherwise, just say no to the FA crap that's available. 

23 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't disagree. What they do in the draft will obviously depend on what they do in FA beforehand. If they ink Glennon, they're pretty unlikely to draft a QB early, and will give Petty/Hackenberg a roster spot free ride for another season. The biggest roster spot risk for those two (in the event they sign Glennon or another veteran under 30) would be if a late round pick wows the team over the spring/summer.

Yeah it should be obvious when talking about various scenarios and possibilities that the bolded part here is a huge factor. FA coming before the draft is a huge issue for a team like the Jets that does not have a vet Qb on the staff at the same time they might otherwise want to roll the dice on the draft to get a Qb with a first day pick.  Since they can't count on scoring in the draft, they are forced to look first to FA, and get the best deal they can.  ESPECIALLY considering that this GM is going into his third year.  He's not going to want to depend on coming up with an Opening Day starter from either of Petty or Hackenberg.

The fear is this will lead them to overpay someone like Glennon, but I don't need to tell you that.

22 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Problem is the GM already used up his mulligan in 2016. It's unlikely the team would end up with Darnold unless they end up with the #1 pick by merit. If they were so bad as to finish that poorly, the GM would be fired and his replacement would be the one making that pick (and getting the credit for it). Fine for the fans, but not fine for the current GM, so it's not likely to happen IMO.

I expect some type of splash at QB this year. Whether it's a veteran (Glennon, Taylor, Cutler, Romo, or some other 8-figure/yr veteran) or drafting one very early. No way he's going into the season with Petty, Hackenberg, and a cheap warm body or late round pick. Not after his embarrassing 2016 with Fitzpatrick/Hackenberg.

Yep.  Totally agree.

19 hours ago, BrickzNY said:

I can't wait until we draft Darnold and he becomes trash because he probably will be trash. 

But he played well in a college game people here watched.  No one called for all of this for Darnold before the PSU game. 

What would be better would be tanking the season like these fans are advocating and he stays in school, doesn't leave early.  

On 2/7/2017 at 8:28 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Petty didn't look like a solid backup. He looked like a bad backup. He's still young yet, and can (and should) obviously get better still, but being honest rather than optimistic, that's what he looked like on the field in year 2. Actually Bowles said (in Oct) that Hackenberg wasn't that far behind Petty. He was clearly behind him (i.e. Petty was better last year) but the gap allegedly wasn't very far, and a significant factor was Petty's extra experience.

Also, as has been mentioned, as of today Geno is not due to be on the Jets any more than Glennon (or you or me) once the season officially begins in March. They're both unrestricted free agents.

I would expect something "big" (high cost) to occur at the position. Could be Glennon or another higher-priced veteran. Could be a high draft pick. But I'll give Maccagnan credit for knowing he's not on stable enough ground to go into the season with Petty, Hackenberg, and a low cost retread like Geno or Hoyer.

If he went with such a trio, and 2017 ended in another losing season behind poor QB play, he would definitely (and deservedly) get fired.

petty is 25.  he should be peaking and starting.  he is what he is and it would be a waste to allow him to compete for the starting job.  

On 2/7/2017 at 6:22 AM, Pointdexter said:

No one is ok going intonext season with Hack, Petty, Geno, and a Hoyer-esque retread, correct? 

Petty looks like a solid back up in the league, to me. And that's not an insult. 

Hack in all honesty is probably out of the league within 3 years.  From where he is now to being an NFL starter would be unprecedented growth and development. 

Geno is Geno. Tons of talent but we all know that's not enough in the NFL.

So can we all agree we should draft one of Watson, Trubisky, Kizer, or Mahomes? Glennon is intriguing at the right cost.

Just curious if there are any fans out there wanting to go into next year with a Petty/Hack/Geno/Hoyer situation. 

I am. I am one of those fans. Minus Geno. We don't need 4 QBs. 

Petty, Hack, Hoyer in no particular order. Hoping that Hack wins the job straight up and Hoyer or Petty serves as a backup. 

"Petty looks like a solid back up in the league, to me. And that's not an insult." So far, from what I have seen, this is a fair statement. 

"Hack in all honesty is probably out of the league within 3 years.  From where he is now to being an NFL starter would be unprecedented growth and development." To me, this is a ludicrous assumption.

What makes you say that? I mean, seriously, what have you seen IF ANYTHING that tells you how far he is from being an NFL starter and then to suggest that he will be out of the league within 3 years. He's 21yrs old, has been in the league exactly ONE season and hasn't played a single meaningful snap. You have nothing to base your assumption of. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying there's no basis for it. At this point, there is just as much likelihood that he is out of the league in 3 years as there is that he is the Jets starter for the next 5-10 years.   

So, you are either making assumptions from reports or unnamed sources, or you are making assumptions from the fact that Bowles did not play him at the end of a lost season, or you are making assumptions from a few quarters he played in pre-season last year, or you are making assumptions from college tape. None of which really add up to diddly. 

The fact is he is very young and has all the tools/talent, work ethic, smarts, leadership qualities, etc. to be a Franchise QB (which is why Macc drafted him i the second round). The fact is that he was clearly not ready to step in and start last year. The fact is that he is inconsistent with his accuracy and has to work on a number of things to get better- you could very well argue he was drafted as a 'project'.  

So yeah, I want Hack, Petty and a vet as insurance. I want to see what Hack can do. I want Petty to push him, and I know he will. And I want to have a veteran in the mix just in case neither grab hold of the starting gig.

As far as the draft. There are no sure-fire starters at QB in this draft. The other thing is that the Jets could get their hands on an elite talent at the #6 pick if they DON'T draft a QB (Fournette? Hooker? Adams?). And if the guy (not a QB) that they really want is gone at 6, they will probably have a QB there that they can use as trade bait to move down, adding critical draft pick down the line.

So no, I guess we don't all agree. LOL. 

On February 7, 2017 at 6:22 AM, Pointdexter said:

No one is ok going intonext season with Hack, Petty, Geno, and a Hoyer-esque retread, correct? 

Petty looks like a solid back up in the league, to me. And that's not an insult. 

Hack in all honesty is probably out of the league within 3 years.  From where he is now to being an NFL starter would be unprecedented growth and development. 

So can we all agree we should draft one of Watson, Trubisky, Kizer, or Mahomes? Glennon is intriguing at the right cost.

Just curious if there are any fans out there wanting to go into next year with a Petty/Hack/Geno/Hoyer situation. 

Anyone who doesn't agree we need a QB is not paying attention.

On 2/7/2017 at 6:22 AM, Pointdexter said:

I DISAGREE!

We need two quarterbacks.  Vet and rookie.  I'm in the draft a QB every year club.  The vet starts unless someone shows in training camp that they're ready to unseat them.  Low man gets cut. 

On 2/7/2017 at 11:15 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

i can't see a qb being taken with a high pick but one observation is mac wasn't afraid to use a high second round pick on a qb in the draft after using a 4th round pick.  funny too that petty was ranked 3 for qb's in his draft class according to the draft tracker and hack was ranked 5.  they both had similar ratings of 5.5 or so.  at this point it's anyone's guess where the jets will go for a qb.

as for darnold, i don't think the jets should tank like the colts did.  that would prove absolutely nothing.  but if the jets do want him that badly i'm sure they can find a way by trading players or draft picks.  even now, if they want cousins, all they need is a wheelbarrow full of money.

11 hours ago, rangerous said:

i can't see a qb being taken with a high pick but one observation is mac wasn't afraid to use a high second round pick on a qb in the draft after using a 4th round pick.  funny too that petty was ranked 3 for qb's in his draft class according to the draft tracker and hack was ranked 5.  they both had similar ratings of 5.5 or so.  at this point it's anyone's guess where the jets will go for a qb.

as for darnold, i don't think the jets should tank like the colts did.  that would prove absolutely nothing.  but if the jets do want him that badly i'm sure they can find a way by trading players or draft picks.  even now, if they want cousins, all they need is a wheelbarrow full of money.

Your assessment is therefore Maccagnan only takes QBs ranked between 3 and 6?

I have no opinion on Darnold. I was using his name as an example of a QB one would have to finish the 17 season with the #1 overall pick to get; the type for whom no trade offer will be accepted.

Also if they want Cousins this year, they'll need to part with quite a bit more than just a wheelbarrow full of money.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News doesn't expect the Jets to seriously consider drafting Clemson QB Deshaun Watson with the sixth overall pick.

Teams have made a habit of over-drafting quarterbacks in recent years, and the Jets have an obvious need at that position. But Mehta still doesn't anticipate the Jets taking the plunge at No. 6, particularly with most scouts giving Watson a second-round grade. With Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith headed for free agency and second-round pick Christian Hackenberg appearing to be a major bust, New York's quarterback situation is as clear as mud.

I don't post much but......it seems to me that, since the Jets have many needs including a Qb and the QB class this year is week, focus the 1st and 2nd on BAP that fills the other holes, O-line, secondary etc. Move around in the draft to get the right players if necessary. Build the team with young fast ballers (Atlanta anyone?) Hire a real QB coach, play Petty and or Hackenberg and if one emerges, lather rinse repeat next year. If not, and the QB next year is stronger, go for broke and get a QB. The Jets aren't winning anything anyway this coming season.

Archived