Are the Jets going to be worse than last year?

UnitedWhofans

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Perhaps we could take it to a new level, and the players quit, during Pre-Season this year

The thing is there was evidence of this happening last year.  I recall Richardson asking for and getting about 3 'excused' absences last off season work outs or camp and when I questioned why I was shouted down.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, KRL said:

I have no idea but I do know we are basically back where we were after the 2014 season except 

we don't have a new GM & HC:

- Coming off a bad season (5-11)

- The #6 pick in the draft

- No established QB

- Tons of cap space

- Need to revamp the secondary

And with all those problems we went 10-6 in 2015

Do the 2017 Jets have one of the easiest schedules in the history of the NFL?

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

A lot of people are predicting gloom and doom for 2017. Which to some extent I can't really understand.

Yes the Jets don't have a QB. But they didn't this year and won 5 games.

It seems that a lot of people are underselling the Jets young talent which is interesting because we saw them play for 16 games.

So the question is are the Jets going to be worse this year than last year? And if so, why?

BTW, I'm not saying the Jets are going to the playoffs next year

it depends.  they can finish with a worse record and be better.  better in the sense there's no drama, no morons talking s**t, players at least in the right place, good effort from all players and phases of the game.  if this is achieved then everyone wshould be very pleased because it would mean bowles and mac are a good team and should be kept around.  on the other hand they could finish better and be a worse team.  if that happens then it's back to square one again.

imo, they get a good qb and get some balls bouncing their way and they can make the playoffs.

This year we had poor QB play, but we had WR's and some vets on the OL. Next year, we'll have no QB, likely no Decker/Marshall, and likely no Clady/Mangold. We'll also have the worst secondary in the league, a poor LB unit, and arguably the worst coaching staff in football. 

So yeah, next year is going to suck big time. But hopefully it leads to cleaning house with HC/GM, number 1 draft pick, and a crap ton of cap room so that 2018 won't suck quite as much (it will still suck, we'll at best have a stud rookie QB...who's still a rookie, which means unlikely to do well year one). 

As Jets fans, you should all be hoping for the worst year ever. Hell, if it's bad enough, maybe Woody sells the team due to his political involvements taking up more time and simply wanting to get rid of what's proven to be a lackluster franchise so far (partially because of him). 

I hope they are. They need to be at the very top of the draft in 2018. Start Hack or Petty and ride it out. 

But if they're gonna go and continue to be a middle of the pact franchise and get a Cutler or Glennon and start them, then they'll probably reach 7 wins or so. Which will probably happen for whatever reason. 

For good or bad I still expect them to be slightly better. I can see them (arguably pointlessly) eking out 7 or 8 wins.

They're missing talent in the major spots, but with a few minor upgrades and shedding of some dead weight they aren't a talentless roster... In this days NFL that's good enough to be a middling average team.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I was not around for the Kotite years, I'd be surprised if he actually coached any worse than Bowles did last year.

This team is coming off a 10 win season and was loaded with expensive high priced vets.  The team was terrible in every single phase of football, all of them.

Bowles was Lombardi compared to Kotite.  

Crazy thing is that's not an over exaggeration 

2 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Purging of the the vets (big contracts) will change the culture of the team  - they will be better if young leaders emerge and implode if not

I think they have at least one great up and coming leader in Big Cat... He's a great voice in the clibhouse but he also sets the example on the field too. I really think we'll be seeing him as a more vocal leader next year and beyond.

I also actually think Darron Lee showed some great qualities too in college and could be a serious leader... But he has to play better first. 

I have no idea who might be a leader on offense though at this point though. There's really no one right now.

Leadership is hard to quantify but I do think it makes a difference on both sides of the ball... Hopefully someone the Jets bring in this year can get the offense working more as a team. 

I said this in another thread, but it applies in this one.

I think Jets fans and the media are evaluating this team more on the style of last season over the substance of last season.

Style- Blowouts, Not giving a full effort, not going to team meetings etc.

Substance- 5-11 with no QB, a meh defense statistically, and a ton of injuries

I said this in another thread, but it applies in this one.
I think Jets fans and the media are evaluating this team more on the style of last season over the substance of last season.
Style- Blowouts, Not giving a full effort, not going to team meetings etc.
Substance- 5-11 with no QB, a meh defense statistically, and a ton of injuries

Every bad team can find the corn kernel in a pile of crap.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Again, I'm not saying "YAY 5-11"  I'm saying that last year looked worse than it was. Because at the end of the day losing by 35 points equals only 1 loss on the tote board

right ... and i'm saying it doesn't matter. i was looking for young guys playing hard every snap ... only two guys i saw doing that ... L Williams and D Lee

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The secondary could be drastically changed for the better with just 2 moves, sign Bouye & draft Hooker. Burris made some good plays last year and Revis was horribly ranked vs his peers as a #1 CB last year. Williams, Roberts, Skrine fight it out with another draft pick & UDFAs. Pryor, Middleton, Miles & Martin fight it out for the remaining safety spots.

Contrary to opinion both Lee & Jenkins had solid years for rookie LBs, especially since 1 only played 9 games (Lee/w/73 tackles), and Jenkins (ranked 2nd best rookie setting the edge) after missing a sh*t ton of time in camp and came back from injury into the season. Both come back certainly better prepared to improve & have a lot more knowledge of the Pro game already & plenty of tape to work on their deficiancies. 

I honestly think getting rid of some of the older veterans (prima donnas) will allow some of these young pups to stake their claim to being leaders & take it up a notch from last year. Revis backing off tackles was NOT something these youngsters needed to see (self preservation), I'm still iffy on whether Marshall is really all in? Or in it to be in NY for Showtime? We'll get the answer from Macc/Bowles soon enough since they can save 7.5 clear by cutting him. 

Obviously there was ZERO confidence in any QB we had by the team in general & it led to a disheartened team with no fight in them. They gave up. If we can somehow just get someone semi competent it could reenergize the entire squad both on offense & defense.

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well since everybody is expecting Bowles to be fired after next year, they've already made up their minds. 

There's a big difference between expecting something and hoping for something . To hope for the HC to get fired is to sit and wish for a terrible season . How can anyone called themselves a fan of a team and wish for that team to have a horrible season ?

On 2/9/2017 at 1:13 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

A lot of people are predicting gloom and doom for 2017. Which to some extent I can't really understand.

Yes the Jets don't have a QB. But they didn't this year and won 5 games.

It seems that a lot of people are underselling the Jets young talent which is interesting because we saw them play for 16 games.

So the question is are the Jets going to be worse this year than last year? And if so, why?

BTW, I'm not saying the Jets are going to the playoffs next year

I have done detailed analysis on this. I have a spreadsheet that I use every year that has highly complicated statistical models.

If everything goes wrong next year. Like the wheels completely fall off, this team will win 9 games. The most data points I have keep returning 10.4 - 10.7 wins. There is a 0% chance of them going 16 and 0. But 11 wins seems to be the most probable outcome.

On 2/9/2017 at 1:25 PM, T0mShane said:

Agreed. Once a team quits on the coach, the coach is dead. Next year will resemble the Kotite years in that it'll be equally hopeless.

Good thing they never quit on Todd. Makes the chances for next season so much better.

17 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well since everybody is expecting Bowles to be fired after next year, they've already made up their minds. 

Todd is not getting fired.

Firing the coach year after year isn't the right answer. He is a good coach and he has a good staff now. This year is going to be a lot of fun.

On 2/9/2017 at 1:22 PM, Beerfish said:

I was not around for the Kotite years, I'd be surprised if he actually coached any worse than Bowles did last year.

This team is coming off a 10 win season and was loaded with expensive high priced vets.  The team was terrible in every single phase of football, all of them.

You weren't born yet?  Count your blessings. You didn't have to resort to something less painful, like, oh, I dunno, rubbing sandpaper all over your own face every Sunday.  

On 2/9/2017 at 1:21 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

People have said this season was a nuclear disaster. A doomed season.

A 5-11 record doesn't say nuclear disaster. A 1-15 record is a nuclear disaster.

And I can't seem to figure why next year's team would be worse

As with all things, relativity and perspective make for a more accurate assessment. 

Had the Jets proved to be a competitive team throughout the 5-11 campaign (not the case as 6 of their losses were >20 points), with pieces in place for what are arguably the most important positions on the field (QB, CB, LT, OLB, nowhere to be found), then you MAY have a point. However, since the opposite of all that I pointed out was the case for the 2016 Jets, then it was an unmitigated disaster, or in your words, a "nuclear disaster."  

Hopefully we are all wrong and they take steps towards being a better team next year. Hopefully.

2 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

As with all things, relativity and perspective make for a more accurate assessment. 

Had the Jets proved to be a competitive team throughout the 5-11 campaign (not the case as 6 of their losses were >20 points), with pieces in place for what are arguably the most important positions on the field (QB, CB, LT, OLB, nowhere to be found), then you MAY have a point. However, since the opposite of all that I pointed out was the case for the 2016 Jets, then it was an unmitigated disaster, or in your words, a "nuclear disaster."  

Hopefully we are all wrong and they take steps towards being a better team next year. Hopefully.

1. Style over substance. Exactly what I was talking about. No style points given in the NFL. Can lose by 35 points and it equals 1 in the loss column.

2. They had none of those positions this year and won 5 games. What makes you think they will be worse.

25 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. Style over substance. Exactly what I was talking about. No style points given in the NFL. Can lose by 35 points and it equals 1 in the loss column.

2. They had none of those positions this year and won 5 games. What makes you think they will be worse.

1. Faulty reasoning is faulty. How you win (or lose), matters. While the desire to compete is not particularly quantifiable (your style over substance), your ability to compete, is. So when a team gets blown out routinely in a loss, it's a telling barometer on their competitiveness. Really not sure how that's even debatable. Again, if you saw some good things on the field, especially at the positions named, you'd have a reason for optimism. But we can agree that wasn't the case.

2. If you go back and read what I wrote, you'll see I mentioned those positions in the framework that this season was a "nuclear disaster." Nowhere did I say they would/could be worse. Now if you want to lend that to the belief they won't be worse, have at it. But I'd aspire to see improvement. With the current roster, that doesn't seem likely.

Perhaps you're content with the status quo? Or are you one of those if/then/black/white fellas? Or are you being deliberately obtuse and trolling me? Really don't know all the personalities around here yet.

9 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

1. Faulty reasoning is faulty. How you win (or lose), matters. While the desire to compete is not particularly quantifiable (your style over substance), your ability to compete, is. So when a team gets blown out routinely in a loss, it's a telling barometer on their competitiveness. Really not sure how that's even debatable. Again, if you saw some good things on the field, especially at the positions named, you'd have a reason for optimism. But we can agree that wasn't the case.

2. If you go back and read what I wrote, you'll see I mentioned those positions in the framework that this season was a "nuclear disaster." Nowhere did I say they would/could be worse. Now if you want to lend that to the belief they won't be worse, have at it. But I'd aspire to see improvement. With the current roster, that doesn't seem likely.

Perhaps you're content with the status quo? Or are you one of those if/then/black/white fellas? Or are you being deliberately obtuse and trolling me? Really don't know all the personalities around here yet.

1. I don't believe it is that simple. Because then you can then argue that for 3 quarters the Patriots were not being competitive against the Falcons in the Super Bowl. And I would doubt that Tom Brady or Bill Belichick would allow his team not to be competitive.

However you did say routinely. So I looked at the teams that beat them up.

Steelers- Playoff Team

Chiefs- Playoff Team

Dolphins- Playoff Team

Pats- Playoff Team

Arizona- Bad team, but tough at home

Colts- Here is the game where you can definitely argue that they quit.

So yes, they were blown out a lot but for the most part the teams blowing them out were better than they were. So that throws a variable into the mix. Michael Kay has said that when, in baseball, a team is losing, it looks like they are not giving effort. It's very hard to lose and look good doing it. I believe that to be true in football too.

2. I would take homage to that OLB. I like JOrdan Jenkins and what he has done. BUrris has also shown some promise. I know BUrris got beat, but I remember young Revis struggling too.

We might win more games given the schedule, but I doubt we have more overall talent.  

We have an old roster that got a year older...  further we are going to have to replace a ton of talent in free agency after the salary cap cuts take place.

say what you will of Revis and Marshall, but finding replacements will not be easy, or at least it won't be cheap in FA.  Getting even a below average starting number 1 wr/cb is hard to find in the current NFL and it almost never works out.

The best thing would be to go young and replace them with rookies/2nd yr players etc, but be sure there is a performance dropoff from those sort of swaps, at least for a few years.

It's just not going to be a good situation unless we really go crazy in FA and hurt ourselves long term (which I hope doesn't happen)

Archived