Are the Jets going to be worse than last year?

UnitedWhofans

On 2/9/2017 at 1:23 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

That's another problem. People are judging the Jets QB situation without realizing that there is such a thing as FREE AGENCY

Everyone's heard of free agency.  The problem is that unless you think Glennon is the answer, nothing good can happen to our QB situation in FREE AGENCY.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets have a tendency to have a 4-12 season followed by a spending spree and an 8-8 season where we think things are headed in the right direction only to end up at 4-12 again.  This year I'm hoping we get young guys through the draft and plug some holes in free agency but don't go overboard.  If we go 7-9, don't play games where the fans are leaving by halftime or the third quarter, and have some young talent I will be satisfied.

4 pages and no one has looked at the schedule.  Will they ever learn?

HOME:

Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
Jacksonville Jaguars
New England Patriots
Miami Dolphins
Buffalo Bills

AWAY:

Oakland Raiders
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Bucs
Denver Broncos
Cleveland Browns
New England Patriots
Miami Dolphins
Buffalo Bills

So where do we begin.  Hmm. 

5 games against the last 4 Super Bowl opponents including both Champions on the road. 

7 games against 2016 playoff teams.

11 games against teams with bonafide franchise quarterbacks at the very moment our secondary is in shambles.

Hey, but we have 2 games against the Bills and 1 game against the Browns.

2-14 seems right to me.

SAR I

This team will be worse than last year and should be.  Could they be better than last year if they wanted to waste another year?- probably.  But they shouldn't.

I'm not suggesting purposely losing for draft position, but they need to clean house.  What I'm saying is play all of the youth, cut anyone over 30.  W's and L's shouldn't be the priority this year...it should be getting experience and evaluating young talent.  

This is what they should have done two years ago, but here we are.

9 hours ago, BRONX DUDE said:

SURE THAT'S THE PLAN!!!!!!

1-15 IN 2017 

NEW QB

NEW GM

NEW  COACH

:D

This is actually the problem with this organization...I agree this is going to happen..but right now we have a coach in place that knows his job is on the line (or that he's getting fired regardless of what he does) and is going to do everything he can to win (to either keep this job or get a new one)  And that means playing over-the-hill vets instead of evaluating young players.   So now we'll have to wait another year until we see a legitimate rebuild...Basically 3 years wasted with Mac/Bowles and we'll start all over again.  

Disgraceful.

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

HOME:

Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
Jacksonville Jaguars
New England Patriots
Miami Dolphins
Buffalo Bills

AWAY:

Oakland Raiders
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Bucs
Denver Broncos
Cleveland Browns
New England Patriots
Miami Dolphins
Buffalo Bills

5 games against the last 4 Super Bowl opponents including both Champions on the road. 

11 games against teams with bonafide franchise quarterbacks at the very moment our secondary is in shambles.

2-14 seems right to me.

SAR I

It's gonna be better than 2-14, because we're going to go into FA and bring in an expensive stop-gap QB who will help us back to about 6 wins.  Which, will obviously be much worse than finishing 2-14.  But, I'm certain we'll get some threads about how we improved from 5-11 to 6-10.  So, that'll be fun.

Unless Hack turns out to be the savior every jet fans needs to recognize that this year needs to be a total rebuild for the future savior, Sam Darnold.

Address fixing the offensive line i.e center and left tackle, the te position, rookie rb and the secondary. Ignore the qb position entirely. Start all of the young kids to get seasoning. win a total of 1 game. Pray that sucking for Sam is the right choice.

And if Hack turns out to be the guy, then that is awesome. We addressed weaknesses on the roster while not wasting resources on a bum qb and are a year early in a full rebuild with the most important piece in place. Its a win win. 

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

HOME:

Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
Jacksonville Jaguars
New England Patriots
Miami Dolphins
Buffalo Bills

AWAY:

Oakland Raiders
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Bucs
Denver Broncos
Cleveland Browns
New England Patriots
Miami Dolphins
Buffalo Bills

2-14 seems right to me.

SAR I

Played a similar schedule in 2013, the people who knew everything and the media all predicted us to go 0-16 and win the Clowney-bowl

We went 8-8 - with Geno

4 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

Unless Hack turns out to be the savior every jet fans needs to recognize that this year needs to be a total rebuild for the future savior, Sam Darnold.

Address fixing the offensive line i.e center and left tackle, the te position, rookie rb and the secondary. Ignore the qb position entirely. Start all of the young kids to get seasoning. win a total of 1 game. Pray that sucking for Sam is the right choice.

And if Hack turns out to be the guy, then that is awesome. We addressed weaknesses on the roster while not wasting resources on a bum qb and are a year early in a full rebuild with the most important piece in place. Its a win win. 

Mac is not gambling his career on Hack

We are signing a veteran QB I just hope it's Glennon or Taylor

Just now, thadude said:

Mac is not gambling his career on Hack

We are signing a veteran QB I just hope it's Glennon or Taylor

This is were Woody needs to turn into a competent owner and give Mac the time to actually rebuild the team. He needs to recognize that for the next two years rebuilding while being competitive is the worst decision for this franchise. The FO needs a few years of freedom without pressure of meaningless wins to  build a contender. Brining in Glennon or Taylor would be a typical jets move. We win 7-9 games annually, never good, never terrible. Stuck in mediocrity for another 4-5 years and it starts all over again, screw that.

18 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

This is were Woody needs to turn into a competent owner and give Mac the time to actually rebuild the team. He needs to recognize that for the next two years rebuilding while being competitive is the worst decision for this franchise. The FO needs a few years of freedom without pressure of meaningless wins to  build a contender. Brining in Glennon or Taylor would be a typical jets move. We win 7-9 games annually, never good, never terrible. Stuck in mediocrity for another 4-5 years and it starts all over again, screw that.

I don't see an owner Like Woody saying ok let's start the young guys (QB's) and see what happens. I agree if we keep going 7-9 8-8 we will be stuck in mediocrity for years, possibly. The problem is teams don't think that way before the season starts, they want to be competitive and win it's the nature of the business. If injuries happen or they have one win by week 10 then I can see it. We have a tough schedule so we may be picking high again. Let's see what FA brings.

Depends who we sign at QB. I'd bet we still finish with 4-6 wins, but teams with less talent than the Jets have turned it around and won more quickly... Although I still think it would be more beneficial to just suck... The Jets have been alternating between 10-6 and 4-12 for Woody's entire tenure. It hasn't worked. We need a real franchise QB.

16 hours ago, jetophile said:

You weren't born yet?  Count your blessings. You didn't have to resort to something less painful, like, oh, I dunno, rubbing sandpaper all over your own face every Sunday.  

No I was long born believe me I just was not a Jets fan at that time.

On February 9, 2017 at 1:24 PM, Larz said:

the kotite teams were overmatched talent wise, bowles team flat out quit

the quitting is a much bigger sin to me.  they need to win me back with a smart off season and NFL effort

No, Kotite actually sucked as a head coach. Parcells came in '97 and won nine games with pretty much the same team that went 1-15 the year before under Kotite. 

I do agree with you on the quitting part. Inexcusable. Part of it was, however, that the defense got disheartened by all of Fitz's pics and three and outs. The defense kept us in the game against Kansas City, and through much of it against Arizona, and all Fitz and Co. Could manage was three points in each game? As I said, giving up is inexcusable, but I can see how the defense got a bit disheartened after a while.

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

HOME:

Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
Jacksonville Jaguars
New England Patriots
Miami Dolphins
Buffalo Bills

AWAY:

Oakland Raiders
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Bucs
Denver Broncos
Cleveland Browns
New England Patriots
Miami Dolphins
Buffalo Bills

SAR I

Too early to bring the schedule into it.

For example, Atlanta just had a significant collapse. Will that have an effect on them next year?

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I don't see an owner Like Woody saying ok let's start the young guys (QB's) and see what happens. I agree if we keep going 7-9 8-8 we will be stuck in mediocrity for years, possibly. The problem is teams don't think that way before the season starts, they want to be competitive and win it's the nature of the business. If injuries happen or they have one win by week 10 then I can see it. We have a tough schedule so we may be picking high again. Let's see what FA brings.

I kind of think that's what he is saying by the fact that Bowles fired Gailey and Patullo so quickly. It seems obvious they were not willing to work with the young guys and speed up their progress. If I'm correct, this is a positive, one of the few in Woody's sordid tenure here.

On 2/9/2017 at 1:13 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

A lot of people are predicting gloom and doom for 2017. Which to some extent I can't really understand.

Yes the Jets don't have a QB. But they didn't this year and won 5 games.

It seems that a lot of people are underselling the Jets young talent which is interesting because we saw them play for 16 games.

So the question is are the Jets going to be worse this year than last year? And if so, why?

BTW, I'm not saying the Jets are going to the playoffs next year

I all depends on what Macc does in FA and the draft. Plain and simple. How can we predict what the Jets record will be this year if we don,t know what the roster is going to look like? 

Just saying.

We can assume Macc will fill in some holes via FA, we can assume he will draft SOME top tier talent (high pick in draft), we can assume he will bring back SOME of the FA Jets, and we can assume some of the top drafted talent from last year will improve (although not guaranteed). But will there be trades? Who will stay? Who will go? Will the Jets add draft picks? Will they give up draft picks via trade? 

So in other words, until after FA and the draft, I really can't tell you. The schedule looks a bit easier, but not by much. So who knows. 

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Too early to bring the schedule into it.

For example, Atlanta just had a significant collapse. Will that have an effect on them next year?

We say that every year, but in the end it's still a great barometer.  If Atlanta falls back then Jacksonville emerges, no different than everyone thinking we'd sweep Miami, split with the Bills, and get crushed by the Ravens this season.  There's always a tradeoff here or there but at the 16 game view I find it always works out.

The schedule is very hard, just look at the quarterbacks we have to face with such a lame secondary.  Going to be hideous.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Ryan Tannehill and Josh McCown ate our secondary for lunch; you're saying that league MVP Matt Ryan won't?

SAR I

Not at all....was just commenting on WhoFans point about the Falcons maybe having a reverse Super Bowl hangover, plus having to break in two new coordinators at the same time.

Archived