Jump to content

Report: Jets Want Tyrod, Not Culter


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes Buffalo is stupid.

Hard to choose between the player the Bills are going to throw away or the players the Bears and Cowboys are going to throw away. 

Don't forget the player the Buccs are going to throw away. People are so excited to go 7-9 or 8-8 around here. 

The New York Jets announced on Wednesday that they have hired quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates, who most recently held the same position with the Chicago Bears. That led to speculation that Jay Cutler could now be an offseason target for the Jets because of his ties to Bates, but one reporter doesn’t see that happening.

According to ESPN’s Rich Cimini, the Jets are unlikely to be suitors for Cutler. While the Bears are almost certain to release or trade Cutler, New York would reportedly prefer Tyrod Taylor (if he becomes available) or free agent Mike Glennon.

Bates also worked with Cutler in Denver, including when Cutler made his only Pro Bowl in 2008. Brandon Marshall was also on that team.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

The only problem I see is there will be a lot of suitors for Tyrod Taylor.     When you get a situation like that it could get very expensive to sign him, and the player will have his options.( what he perceives the best situation/ team for him to go to.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

The only problem I see is there will be a lot of suitors for Tyrod Taylor.     When you get a situation like that it could get very expensive to sign him, and the player will have his options.( what he perceives the best situation/ team for him to go to.)

Who do you think will want him?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Who do you think will want him?

First off all playoff team are looking for a Qb that protects the football .  Tyrod Taylor does just that. Why they would prefer him to Glennon.

Arizona would have been number 1 on the list.( C Palmer coming back they are probably out).

So let's see Denver , Maybe Steelers( depending if Big Ben retires) , Houston, Chicago, Jaguars, and 49ers.    Browns expect them to trade for J Garoppolo ? 

Let me ask you a question you're the Bronco's.   Who would you rather have - a brittle Tony Romo( behind a shaky offense line) or Tyrod Taylor.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

this was a sideline in one of the other threads about glennon.  maybe there needs to be a thread about cimini, costello, mehta and all the other pseudo jet reporters so they can make up stories and show how brilliant they are.

imo the jets should be looking at tyrod.  and they should be looking at cutler, glennon, garafalo, mccarran, and so on because the position is that important.  tyrod has shown some ability.  he moves around pretty well and throws a nice out.  give him some good targets and maybe he does very well.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

First off all playoff team are looking for a Qb that protects the football .  Tyrod Taylor does just that. Why they would prefer him to Glennon.

Arizona would have been number 1 on the list.( C Palmer coming back they are probably out).

So let's see Denver , Maybe Steelers( depending if Big Ben retires) , Houston, Chicago, Jaguars, and 49ers.    Browns expect them to trade for J Garoppolo ? 

Let me ask you a question you're the Bronco's.   Who would you rather have - a brittle Tony Romo( behind a shaky offense line) or Tyrod Taylor.

The problem...

Denver- Has a younger 1st round qb they just drafted and apparently believe can be the not so distant future. Romo fits that timeline much better than Tyrod does. - no go

Steelers- Ben is not retiring-no go

Houston- Just signed their QB to a big arse contract and even though he played like crap last year they wont dump him without giving him one more chance to succeed. Especially since the owner made that call and he might actually outlast the coach - no go

Chicago- This is a maybe. With Cutler gone then they need a QB and have no handy options but might prefer Glennon because he is more of a traditional QB and the Villian might convince them with those highlight clips and spot on analysis. 

Jaguars- I think this is the biggest competition for Tyrod. There is a lot of talent in Jacksonville and a new coaching staff. If he is released Tyrod may prefer to go somewhere where the coach isn't on the hot seat this year and maybe he can get a longer contract. If he is traded/not released they have the chips to make it happen- GO

49ers- They don't want another run around QB after moving on from Kap. I think the new regime will want to distance themselves as much as possible from last years mess including another mobile, black QB- no-go

Browns- They are either trading for Garoppolo or are using the lower of their 2 first round picks to draft one. There is no need to go after Tyrod since they still have RG3 under contract. - no go

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me this would be a great decision if the Bills are stupid enough to cut him. But I could see Taylor opting for the Chargers if they let go of Rivers. Anthony Lynn is now their HC and the assumption is he likes Tyrod. Love to see TT with the Jets. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyrod is mobil with a strong arm.  Buffalo is in a tough spot because of the terms of his contract.  It will be interested to see how that works out prior to free agency.  Glennon will be a free agent because the Bucs are set with Jameis Winston. Interesting to see what the Jets do.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, legler82 said:

Teams don't let "good" QBs walk in free agency; ask the Texans.  If Tyrod becomes available, there's a reason.

Yes and no.

He could be good, but they don't value him as much as he's due to get under his current contract. If they let him go to FA it also means they couldn't get anyone to trade even a 7th rounder for him. This would suggest no one else is willing to roll the dice on Taylor under those existing terms either.

I suspect if he wasn't due to get a $15.5m signing/option bonus (on top of a $12m base salary) they'd be keeping him. Starting with these upcoming 2 seasons it's more salary & bonus than Osweiller got. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

The problem...

Denver- Has a younger 1st round qb they just drafted and apparently believe can be the not so distant future. Romo fits that timeline much better than Tyrod does. - no go

Steelers- Ben is not retiring-no go

Houston- Just signed their QB to a big arse contract and even though he played like crap last year they wont dump him without giving him one more chance to succeed. Especially since the owner made that call and he might actually outlast the coach - no go

Chicago- This is a maybe. With Cutler gone then they need a QB and have no handy options but might prefer Glennon because he is more of a traditional QB and the Villian might convince them with those highlight clips and spot on analysis. 

Jaguars- I think this is the biggest competition for Tyrod. There is a lot of talent in Jacksonville and a new coaching staff. If he is released Tyrod may prefer to go somewhere where the coach isn't on the hot seat this year and maybe he can get a longer contract. If he is traded/not released they have the chips to make it happen- GO

49ers- They don't want another run around QB after moving on from Kap. I think the new regime will want to distance themselves as much as possible from last years mess including another mobile, black QB- no-go

Browns- They are either trading for Garoppolo or are using the lower of their 2 first round picks to draft one. There is no need to go after Tyrod since they still have RG3 under contract. - no go

Denver has a championship caliber defense, they are a win now team.   They can't hope that their Young Qb ready . Romo never survives behind that offense line.  As a Raider fan I be happy if they trade/ Sign Tony Romo.( give him four games tops ) The Broncos can always trade that first round Qb down the road( recoup a pick).   All about giving your team the best chance to be successful.

Houston is another team prime to win now.( not going anywhere without a legitimate starting Qb- playoffs prove this out  .    You can bet the Texans players want to see a new Qb.( they have one massive hole left-  Qb- and the sooner they admit that they made a mistake , the better the franchise will be.

49ers with the Browns have monster salary cap space.   Tyrod Taylor is  a nice option as he protects the football.  Buys them time till the Qb they draft is ready to play.( Right now they don't have a starting Qb , and I wouldn't want to be a team competing with them for the same player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Denver has a championship caliber defense, they are a win now team.   They can't hope that their Young Qb ready . Romo never survives behind that offense line.  As a Raider fan I be happy if they trade/ Sign Tony Romo.( give him four games tops ) The Broncos can always trade that first round Qb down the road( recoup a pick).   All about giving your team the best chance to be successful.

Houston is another team prime to win now.( not going anywhere without a legitimate starting Qb- playoffs prove this out  .    You can bet the Texans players want to see a new Qb.( they have one massive hole left-  Qb- and the sooner they admit that they made a mistake , the better the franchise will be.

49ers with the Browns have monster salary cap space.   Tyrod Taylor is  a nice option as he protects the football.  Buys them time till the Qb they draft is ready to play.( Right now they don't have a starting Qb , and I wouldn't want to be a team competing with them for the same player.

You are right Denver has a championship defense..which is why they would want Romo over Tyrod. If they shore up the Oline then they are better off with Romo than Tyrod. Tyrod doesnt have the long documented history of success that Romo does. I am not a Romo fan but if my line is right I'd bet my chances are better with him that Tyrod. Romo has been injured the better part of the last what 2-3 years but if that kid is as good as some seem to think after sitting last year and lets say 4-6 games that Romo survives this year he should be fine. Tyrod is still a big risk as an injury free player.

Houston is a win now team but they are unfortunately stuck with that contract and are not going to have the cap space to give more money to Tyrod. Cutting Osweiller makes sense from every sense except the financial one. They wont pay him that amount of money to be the back up and cant tie up too much money in one position by giving a lump to Tyrod also. You're theory is correct but the numbers dont work. It doesnt make sense to lose that much cap space this year by cutting him AND giving Tyrod a chunk also. The players and fans want it but it doesnt make much financial sense.

49ers- Unless Tyrod is traded he will have a choice...why in the hell would he go to the dumster fire that the 49ers are if there are better options and the money is close? He might be a good fit but unless he is traded I dont see it happening of his own free will when there are better options on the table. If you were Tyrod playing in a toxic environment in buffalo and have a choice why would you go where the team had an even worse year and might not have the pieces in place for a good team for YEARS?

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 2 ways of looking at this:

1)  Given the Jets lack of salary cap space and holes (an oxymoron if there ever was one), it is hard to see the Jets SMARTLY bid for any of the top FA QBs.    They could do a short term deal for a old vet, but all that does is win a few more games.  With this team and that QB, it is not a CHAMPIONSHIP team.

2)  But just like 2015, with the 6th pick down the board and the ability (if they are SMART) to cut veterans, maybe they can fill the holes, rent a QB (like Fitz) and make a run.  But given that the 2017 draft picks will still need development and the likely ability of the rental, that strategy, like 2015, would likely provide more entertainment but unlikely lead to a deep playoff run.

So for these reasons I would advocate cutting veterans aggressively, signing more quality FAs like Carpenter (talented, second contract), build the team from the ground up, give Petty and Hack a real chance and don't spend too much for a veteran QB-if P and H are not the real deal, draft another one.

I do think, for a rookie contract, Watson has the potential to have a Prescott/Mariotta effect.  He could be worth a shot.  He could be a 1/3 of the price of Taylor.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes and no.

He could be good, but they don't value him as much as he's due to get under his current contract. If they let him go to FA it also means they couldn't get anyone to trade even a 7th rounder for him. This would suggest no one else is willing to roll the dice on Taylor under those existing terms either.

I suspect if he wasn't due to get a $15.5m signing/option bonus (on top of a $12m base salary) they'd be keeping him. Starting with these upcoming 2 seasons it's more salary & bonus than Osweiller got. 

Do you think he's good?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Vic Carrucci of the Buffalo news, is reporting today that Tyrod Taylor is not willing to  restructure his contract to take less money to stay in Buffalo. He and his agent both believe they can get AT LEAST what would be the six years and $92 million that Buffalo would currently have to pay him.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

God no. Seems like the failure of Hackenburg was greatly exaggerated and stemmed mostly from a perception that if the Jets did not start him at the end of last year well he must suck. Silly. We have actually consistently been hearing positive things about him this offseason. We need to develop Hack. Tyrod Taylor sucks. NO MORE VETERAN CASTOFFS That strategy does not work. Why do people covet every crappy veteran QB over the promising ones we have on our roster? No to Taylor, no to Cutler, no to ALL of them

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Who do you think will want him?

Any team built like the Cowboys, but are missing the don't turn it over type QB who can hit a bomb, or 2 at any given time, basically the 2009 Jets would have been the perfect situation for Tyrod Taylor.  Off the top of my head maybe IF he takes a 2 year, but only 1 year guaranteed deal Denver could be in play for him with that D, running game, and dangerous WR's, and another wild card team that would be a great situation for him because of his big arm is Arizona if their ready to move on from Palmer, the D is still dangerous when healthy, and D Johnson is 1A best all around RB in the league with Bell.

Then the obvious just need a QB teams where he would only win 8 games max like say here with the NYJ.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Who do you think will want him?

If no one wanted him, wouldn't that say something to you about you wanting him?

Be assured, if he goes FA, there will be some interest amongst the usual Bad-QB-Teams in the league.  Us included.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Be prepared to have to give up draft choices, along with that contract to get him. I don't see how the Redskins just let him walk.

Maybe, but that's a tough path to navigate for Washington.   Cousins was franchised last year so the 2017 tag is $24M - which is manageable.   The issue for Was is the 2018 tag would then jump to $34M, making it almost impossible to keep him.   Right now Cousins holds all of the cards and there is no home town discount.    Maybe Washington can figure out a way to tag cousins (which he'll immediately sign) and let him work out a long-term deal w/another team while working a trade in the background.   The risk for Washington is that the other team simply calls their bluff if the asking price is too high.   I think a 3rd or 4th rd pick is reasonable for the right to pay him 20M+ / season.   

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Taylor is neither as good as his proponents say nor as terrible as his opponents say. He's a middle of the pack QB. He's not worth his current contract and he's not worth what he will likely want in FA (based on his current contract). 

If our QB range for 2017 were limited to Geno and Petty I'd think strongly about letting Geno go and bringing in Taylor to start; but we have two young draft picks on the roster and I still prefer to not bring in a vet. I'd still probably oppose it at whatever contract Taylor's agent wants. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

 Vic Carrucci of the Buffalo news, is reporting today that Tyrod Taylor is not willing to  restructure his contract to take less money to stay in Buffalo. He and his agent both believe they can get AT LEAST what would be the six years and $92 million that Buffalo would currently have to pay him.

Tyrod Taylor and his agent are correct, that contract is about $15.4 Million dollars per/year.  That is not crazy money.  

Why in the world would he take less money when the Bills defense was the real culprit for the poor team showing!!

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Hard to choose between the player the Bills are going to throw away or the players the Bears and Cowboys are going to throw away. 

Taking other people's garbage isn't so bad. It can work out great sometimes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Robert Woods, Charles Clay and Marquise Goodwin - those were the 3 leading wide receivers on the Bills this past season.

The question with respect to Taylor isnt what he was on the Bills, its whether he's already reached his ceiling OR has a lack of WRs and offensive coaching held him back and he has not yet reached his ceiling. He will get a large contract - whether its 5 years and $80 or $2 years and $30 I have no idea, but the team that signs him is paying for his future not what he did in the past.

I dont know what the answer is, but hes only 27 years old and what I do know is that I watched the lack of development throughout our entire roster when Rex was here and have to assume that the same issues existed in Buffalo.  They also changed OCs mid season.  Putting Tyrod into an offense with Decker, Enunwa, Robbie Anderson, etc and with a competent offensive staff could easily result in him taking a step forward.  Clearly he already understands ball security, so its on Mac to see if he is worth the risk.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...