Contract Expired - The End Of Ryan Fitzpatrick

SAR I

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Of course.

In 2015, and as proved in 2016, it would be impossible to imagine that Ryan Fitzpatrick could take a 4-12 team to 10-5.  It was a Christmas miracle.  But the one time the miracle man needed a little help from his backup, nope, couldn't do it.

You cry and moan about Ryan Fitzpatrick getting $12M to play 16 games yet never utter a word about the $1.4M Geno Smith got to play 1 game and blow the playoffs in the process.  You should listen to the things I say more often.

SAR I

Lol, you didn't actually write this and then hit submit

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look the 12 million was never a big deal. You guys talk like it is pirates treasure and Fitz was the pirate. It's below average wages for a starting Qb in the NFL. And on a one year deal. They did not tie up resources for years they gave him a small time deal. We'll never know if they had signed him earlier and he had a chance to practice during the off season with the team if he would have played better. What Jets management did was take away security from players who needed it after a successful season. Was it worth it over a few million dollars. I said it last year if you have success you don't change it. And what Woody and Mac did was stupid. And we went from 10 Ws to five. 

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

This has NOTHING to do with Geno Smith this has EVERYTHING to do how bad of a QB Ryan Fitzpatrick was. 

Even when they look back at Fitzs failed end they have to somehow not only bring Geno into it but to blame him for it. 

27 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look the 12 million was never a big deal. You guys talk like it is pirates treasure and Fitz was the pirate. It's below average wages for a starting Qb in the NFL. And on a one year deal. They did not tie up resources for years they gave him a small time deal. We'll never know if they had signed him earlier and he had a chance to practice during the off season with the team if he would have played better. What Jets management did was take away security from players who needed it after a successful season. Was it worth it over a few million dollars. I said it last year if you have success you don't change it. And what Woody and Mac did was stupid. And we went from 10 Ws to five. 

So $12 mil was ok because a less than mediocre backup got paid less than real starting QBs?  And through the holdout, no training etc, is the Jets fault.  Blame Woody and Macc? Lol

Heres the point, they had a QB on the roster who could do everything Fitz could do and would have saved 12 mil.  

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So $12 mil was ok because a less than mediocre backup got paid less than real starting QBs?  And through the holdout, no training etc, is the Jets fault.  Blame Woody and Macc? Lol

Heres the point, they had a QB on the roster who could do everything Fitz could do and would have saved 12 mil.  

When you pay a player you don't know if they will be successful or unsuccessful. And live up to the contract. There are no guarantees. The Jets finally decided to give Fitz that one year deal for 12 mil. It was their decision and based totally on 2015. And there is no reason to believe that if they didn't sign Fitz and started Geno he would have played better than in the past. That was their evaluation. 12 mil is not a lot for a starting Qb. And most of the time you have to sign them to a long term deal. The Qb position is one you don't go cheap on and try to go with a one million dollar player. Look if they think Geno is so good he's available now. They can get him very very cheap.

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

When you pay a player you don't know if they will be successful or unsuccessful. And live up to the contract. There are no guarantees. The Jets finally decided to give Fitz that one year deal for 12 mil. It was their decision and based totally on 2015. And there is no reason to believe that if they didn't sign Fitz and started Geno he would have played better than in the past. That was their evaluation. 12 mil is not a lot for a starting Qb. And most of the time you have to sign them to a long term deal. The Qb position is one you don't go cheap on and try to go with a one million dollar player. Look if they think Geno is so good he's available now. They can get him very very cheap.

The Jets haven't won a damn thing since 1969 reality is Jets management doesn't know jack sh*t about anything in the NFL they keep hiring and drafting all the wrong people otherwise things would be different around here.

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Let me get this right Fitz was by far the worst starting QB in the entire NFL last year because Geno Smith wasn't any good!!!

Jets Fans and Utter Madness!!!

Isn't it pathetic how there are people who actually think this way. 

Better is Geno Smith lost the Raiders game and kept us out of the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

When you pay a player you try to make a deal that's on a level with his talent and worth.  Not what fans and internet GMs think he's worth

Looking back on the season there was no reason to sign Fitz, Geno would have won at least the same nimber of games given QB play and the 12 mil they would have saved which could have brought in additional talent. 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It's amazing the way some look at what was right in front of them.  

Glass jaw?  Lol

Raider game was on Geno.  Lack of prep was also on Geno.  KC this season wasn't on Fitz.  He must have been prepared.   

Jets had a choice, they didn't have to sign Fitz to 12 mil.  Would have been nice if he trained while holding out.  You know was prepared

Using all logic:

Was Ryan Fitzpatrick capable of more than a 10-5 record in 2016?

Was Geno Smith capable of winning 1 measly game as a qualified NFL backup in 2016?

And, again, please stop with the money.  Money means nothing.  Jets overpaid Fitzpatrick last year.  So what?  It's not like the $4M could have gone to a player that would have turned a 5-11 record into 11-5.

SAR I

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

When Fitz was erratic Gailey tried to change the offense and make it more run based. The thing  is the mix didn't work. Fitz has only himself to blame for 2016. He could have played an Alex Smith kind of role and not forced plays and killed drives with picks. Instead he played like Mark Sanchez. But if you objectively look at the beginning of 2016 few Qbs could win with the defense giving up so many big plays. But instead of being a team leader and a stabilizing force he made it much worse. 

All true, but the bigger picture is that Ryan Fitzpatrick was brought here to be a backup and the only reason he became a starter and then got starter money is because Geno Smith is so bad.

You can't blame the career journeyman on his 7th team in 13 years for playing like a journeyman; you can, however, blame the 4th year second round draft pick for busting.  So we shall.

SAR I

LOL lets continue to blame Geno Smith for all the failures here why the hell not. 

The same reason I blame SELL OUT fans who have season tickets and dont attend games but choose to sell them to other teams fans for the sh*tty crowds at Jets games.

You have your opinion and I have mine. 

LOL blaming Geno Smith for the Jets failures the last few years just when you thought you heard it all. 

Lol, you didn't actually write this and then hit submit

Sure I did.  If you want to make it about the money, let's make it about the money.

In the 2015 and 2016 seasons:

Geno Smith was paid $3M, appeared in 1 1/2 games, and was paid $2M per game.

Ryan Fitzpatrick was paid $15M, appeared in 27 games, and was paid $500K per game.

Fitz was a bargain compared to Smith, compared to most NFL starters in fact.

SAR I

Even when they look back at Fitzs failed end they have to somehow not only bring Geno into it but to blame him for it. 

And why shouldn't we?  Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't on the team if Geno Smith plays like an average NFL quarterback.

You can't have a rational conversation about the value of the backup without looking at the value of the starter.  As a starter, Geno Smith was the worst in the NFL, so who we chose as a backup and what we had to pay to retain the backup all occurred because the Jets had no leverage.  Can you see the phone call between Fitzpatrick's agent and Maccagnan?

Agent:  "Fitz will do a one year deal at $12M"

Macca:  "You better re-think that, don't forget we have Geno Smith ready to go if Ryan takes a pass."

Agent:  "HAHAHAHAHAHAHALOLOLOLOLOLOLOLHOHOHOHOHEHEHEHEHAHAHAHAHAHLOLOLOLOL"

SAR I

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

No one cried out how underpaid Fitzpatrick was in 2015 when he led us to a 10-5 record.  He made $3.3 million, a complete joke, the Jets underpaid by about $10 million dollars.

$3.3M plus $12.0M equals $15.3M or $7.6M per year which is a bargain in the Jets favor.

Geno Smith earned $2M per start the last two seasons, Ryan Fitzpatrick only earned $500K. 

The money argument is the worst Myhero argument on the laundry list of bad Myhero arguments.

SAR I

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Using all logic:

Was Ryan Fitzpatrick capable of more than a 10-5 record in 2016?

Was Geno Smith capable of winning 1 measly game as a qualified NFL backup in 2016?

And, again, please stop with the money.  Money means nothing.  Jets overpaid Fitzpatrick last year.  So what?  It's not like the $4M could have gone to a player that would have turned a 5-11 record into 11-5.

SAR I

Woody and Macc failed the most basic theories of investing with Fitz....buy low and sell high. They bot him at .10-.15 on the dollar, and increased their investment 10 times over. End of the season, sold. On to the next one. Sh*tty stocks, like players, are in the dump heap for a reason; you take a flier on one and it works, and you make $, get out.

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Let me get this right Fitz was by far the worst starting QB in the entire NFL last year because Geno Smith wasn't any good!!!

Jets Fans and Utter Madness!!!

The drafting of Geno Smith goes down as one of the worst decisions in franchise history.  Drafting Geno Smith....

Led to the dismissal of Mark Sanchez
Led to the dismissal of John Idzik
Led to the dismissal of Rex Ryan
Led to the hiring of Todd Bowles
Led to an unhealthy attraction to Ryan Fitzpatrick
Led to the drafting of 2 longshot QB's in Petty and Hackenberg
Led to the dismissal of Chan Gailey

You know how they say there is nothing more important to a team than a franchise quarterback?  They're right.  Because you plan everything around them.  For years.  So when you pick the wrong guy and he busts he takes the whole franchise down with him.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

The drafting of Geno Smith goes down as one of the worst decisions in franchise history.  Drafting Geno Smith....

You know how they say there is nothing more important to a team than a franchise quarterback?  They're right.  Because you plan everything around them.  For years.  So when you pick the wrong guy and he busts he takes the whole franchise down with him.

SAR I

I've been telling you this for years, but it's not Geno that fits that statement, it's Sanchez. Sanchez came in 2009, and here we are , 8 years later, just like you said. Remember, Sanchez being a bust created Geno, not the other way around.

Mike Maccagnan should be fired for this......

Fitzpatrick’s parting gift to the Jets is the $5 million in dead money they will carry on the 2017 salary cap because of the structure of the $12 million contract he signed to play in 2016. Of the $12 million, $10 million was a signing bonus.

18 hours ago, SAR I said:

Your disrespect isn't appreciated.

If you're happy that Fitzpatrick is leaving today it's because of what Geno Smith did to put us in this position.  Save your vitriol for him

F Geno

SAR I

Bullsh*t. There was a couple of occasions where Fitzpatrick was less than professional this season with the comments that he made to the media, but I'm supposed to overlook that because he is a scrappy, Ivy league guy?

On top of that, I hold him personally responsible for ruining my Kansas City trip this year with his 5 pick performance. **** Fitz. 

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

When you pay a player you try to make a deal that's on a level with his talent and worth.  Not what fans and internet GMs think he's worth

Looking back on the season there was no reason to sign Fitz, Geno would have won at least the same nimber of games given QB play and the 12 mil they would have saved which could have brought in additional talent. 

Geno was terrible in 2014. He would not have put up those numbers in 2015. We did not know that the Jets and Fitz would regress in 2016. They were going for the playoffs. And it was logical to go for it with Marshall and other vets who might not have too many good years left.  The Jets made the only reasonable move they could and signed him at a cheap price. Most starting Qb contracts are multi-year and for a lot more money. It didn't work out in 2016 but it wasn't all of Fitz's fault. You do not put a 2 mil dollar budget tag on the Qb position and that's what it would have been with Geno, Petty and Hack. You have cap space and you have to spend it and pay a Qb . And that's why they should sign a good vet Qb this offseason and not fool around like they did last year. 

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

All true, but the bigger picture is that Ryan Fitzpatrick was brought here to be a backup and the only reason he became a starter and then got starter money is because Geno Smith is so bad.

You can't blame the career journeyman on his 7th team in 13 years for playing like a journeyman; you can, however, blame the 4th year second round draft pick for busting.  So we shall.

SAR I

Fitz didn't get starter money. It was only a one year deal at considerably below what other starters are making. The Jets protected themselves and didn't lose a heck of a lot except games. Look Fitz didn't have the cred to get a real starters contract. He was hoping to have another good year and then cash in but he didn't so he's gone. 

2 hours ago, section314 said:

I've been telling you this for years, but it's not Geno that fits that statement, it's Sanchez. Sanchez came in 2009, and here we are , 8 years later, just like you said. Remember, Sanchez being a bust created Geno, not the other way around.

I'm not going to defend Mark Sanchez 2017 but Mark Sanchez 2012 was a strong quarterback prospect who had been neglected by his defensive-minded head coach.  Drafting Geno Smith as "his" guy put a stamp on John Idzik and forced our focus away from a proven playoff winner and onto an unknown college kid who'd fallen like a rock into the second round.

Sanchez played badly in '11 and '12 due to neglect.  Geno is just bad.

SAR I

21 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Bullsh*t. There was a couple of occasions where Fitzpatrick was less than professional this season with the comments that he made to the media, but I'm supposed to overlook that because he is a scrappy, Ivy league guy?

On top of that, I hold him personally responsible for ruining my Kansas City trip this year with his 5 pick performance. **** Fitz. 

He was honest with the media, simply said what we already knew, that the front office and coaching staff didn't believe in him.

It's hardly on par with Geno enraging Impakpali or putting up dick pics or making his snide comments after every loss.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I hear you......

And I agree on many things with you, including but not limited to, the mishandling of Mark Sanchez. 

But while many things of blame rightly can be laid at the feet of Geno Smith, the absolutely horrific play and all around unpreparedness of Ryan Fitzpatrick is not one of them.  

Fitz stunk up the joint and was paid handsomely I might add all on his own this last year. Fitz was awful on his lonesome!!!

IMO Geno using voodoo wouldn't be responsible for what we were subjected to last year from Fitz.  

Archived