Contract Expired - The End Of Ryan Fitzpatrick

SAR I

1 minute ago, Jetdawgg said:

I really doubt Buff releases TT. Drafting a QB in round 1 means that the Jets do not get an impact player early on. Impact players are really in need on this team. The best options on the FA beat for the Jets are Smith and Kaepernick. Signing the both is an upgrade from last season.

Both can come at a reasonable value. Have them battle it out for the starting position over the summer. Cut/trade Petty so Hack can get the reps that Futz stole when he signed last season. This draft has to be a huge hit for Macc

Agree and if the fans don't like either one they can "sell out" their tickets and stay home the Jets need a QB to win games this isn't a personality contest. 

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Geno Smith is not an option.  The players and the fans will not tolerate it.

Hackenberg, Petty, another draftee, and a veteran free agent will compete for the starting job this summer.

SAR I

This my friend is the real problem on the Jets as a franchise. They don't make decisions based on business needs. Thus almost 50 years of horrible teams annually for the most part

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

This my friend is the real problem on the Jets as a franchise. They don't make decisions based on business needs. Thus almost 50 years of horrible teams annually for the most part

Isn't this about personal satisfaction and being able to cheer on a 10 win team that doesn't make the playoffs because its fun, 

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

LOL.  Where is that JN facepalm smiley when you need it.

SAR I

Two reasonably priced options to compete for QB. This would allow the Jets to get the RB/Speed Rusher, OL and secondary help in the draft. That is the best value the Jets can get this season. They will over pay for anyone else and drafting a QB early is an indictment of the FO QB picks.

2 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

"Business needs"?

The NFL is a big business where 31 teams and their millions of fans go home angry.  If you're not a Super Bowl contender you have to at least put a likeable product on the field, something the fans will be encouraged to go see in person and on TV.  Young players with a future.  Hungry journeyman looking for redemption.

Your argument seems to be that Geno Smith and Colin Kaepernick are what fans want.  I have no idea what fans you hang out with but please, keep them away from Metlife Stadium. 

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Stop it.  No one is happy with Ryan Fitzpatrick's performance in 2015 as it didn't end in the playoffs.

Compared to watching Geno Smith however, it was a lot of fun.

SAR I

SAR.....I'm going on season #38 of my season tix. Over the years, I've has lots of fun, some of it provided by the Jets, most of it because I have been able to spend that time with family and friends. Like I answered you in a post yesterday, Fitz way overperformed in 2015, agreed. But like a cheap stock, he gave us a good return, and should have been sold at the end of the season, and not brought back. As far as Geno, he has been terrible, but couldn't Geno have gotten us at least 4-12?

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Geno Smith is not an option.  The players and the fans will not tolerate it.

Hackenberg, Petty, another draftee, and a veteran free agent will compete for the starting job this summer.

SAR I

Oy...last season only worse. Good grief haven't you had enough of losing?

Two reasonably priced options to compete for QB. This would allow the Jets to get the RB/Speed Rusher, OL and secondary help in the draft. That is the best value the Jets can get this season. They will over pay for anyone else and drafting a QB early is an indictment of the FO QB picks.

Who cares what they cost?  Geno and Kaepernick are damaged goods.  One flashed briefly, the other never did.  Signing one of those two is no different than the Fitzpatrick signing you are so upset by.  It's history repeating itself.

This isn't 2015 where we had a veteran core with some meat left on the bone.  It's 2017.  We have a rebuilding project that's years away from a winning record.  Every position on the field needs to be evaluated so we can see which youngsters are going to be part of our 2020 squad that may actually be competitive.  We don't need a journeyman like Fitzpatrick, Geno, or Kaepernick.  We need to validate the two young kids we drafted and probably the third young kid we're about to draft. 

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

"Business needs"?

The NFL is a big business where 31 teams and their millions of fans go home angry.  If you're not a Super Bowl contender you have to at least put a likeable product on the field, something the fans will be encouraged to go see in person and on TV.  Young players with a future.  Hungry journeyman looking for redemption.

Your argument seems to be that Geno Smith and Colin Kaepernick are what fans want.  I have no idea what fans you hang out with but please, keep them away from Metlife Stadium. 

SAR I

The plan I presented for this season would allow the Jets to start building a SB capable franchise

2 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Oy...last season only worse. Good grief haven't you had enough of losing?

Wait.

When I say 2015 was fun because we didn't lose you tell me that's a bad thing because we didn't make the playoffs.

When I say that the 2017 team is a shadow of the 2015 team in terms of players and talent and age and that we're in a full-on rebuild and so we need to put the youngsters on the field you tell me that's a bad thing because you're tired of losing.

Please make up your mind.  I don't need a migraine.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Who cares what they cost?  Geno and Kaepernick are damaged goods.  One flashed briefly, the other never did.  Signing one of those two is no different than the Fitzpatrick signing you are so upset by.  It's history repeating itself.

This isn't 2015 where we had a veteran core with some meat left on the bone.  It's 2017.  We have a rebuilding project that's years away from a winning record.  Every position on the field needs to be evaluated so we can see which youngsters are going to be part of our 2020 squad that may actually be competitive.  We don't need a journeyman like Fitzpatrick, Geno, or Kaepernick.  We need to validate the two young kids we drafted and probably the third young kid we're about to draft. 

SAR I

Value is the best way to build a franchise or a business. Buy low or reasonable and upgrade when possible

17 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I hated this guy from day 1 even last year when many were giddy over him he masqueraded and choked in a big game like many of us knew he would the guy is a bum always has been always will be. 

Exactly, some of the throws he got away with were criminal... if deck and Mar didn't make great catches he would have failed ...one read dirtbag with a sh*tty arm who thought he was better then he was. 

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Wait.

When I say 2015 was fun because we didn't lose you tell me that's a bad thing because we didn't make the playoffs.

When I say that the 2017 team is a shadow of the 2015 team in terms of players and talent and age and that we're in a full-on rebuild and so we need to put the youngsters on the field you tell me that's a bad thing because you're tired of losing.

Please make up your mind.  I don't need a migraine.

SAR I

Only winning a SB is fun. All else is misery

The plan I presented for this season would allow the Jets to start building a SB capable franchise

If I felt that the 2017 Jets were a decent quarterback away from the 11-5 record it will take to make the playoffs this season I'd agree with you.  I'd be lobbying for Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Colin Kaepernick, whomever it would take to push us over the top.

But you're describing the Denver Broncos, Minnesota Vikings, or even the Los Angeles Rams.  These teams have defenses and coaches and are a great quarterback away from winning a division.

The Jets need so much help it isn't even funny.  We're the Cleveland Browns.  Or worse.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If I felt that the 2017 Jets were a decent quarterback away from the 11-5 record it will take to make the playoffs this season I'd agree with you.  I'd be lobbying for Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Colin Kaepernick, whomever it would take to push us over the top.

But you're describing the Denver Broncos, Minnesota Vikings, or even the Los Angeles Rams.  These teams have defenses and coaches and are a great quarterback away from winning a division.

The Jets need so much help it isn't even funny.  We're the Cleveland Browns.  Or worse.

SAR I

The delusion is that you think money is no object

Only winning a SB is fun. All else is misery

On this point we agree.

But along the way, there are turning points for a franchise, there are moments where you think you may be turning a corner and taking a necessary, winning step towards recruiting good free agents, quality coaches, and getting set for a run.  After the disasters of 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014, the 2015 season felt like that, it felt like Maccagnan was successfully rebuilding on-the-fly and that if one of the kid QB's checked we might be set to cut from Fitzpatrick in 2017 and go after the Patriots finally. 

But 2016 exposed a lot more than the failings of a lousy journeyman quarterback.  The OL, DL, LBs, RBs, Secondary, Special Teams, Coaching, the entire team fell on its face and showed that the free agents we signed were crap, the homegrown players we retained were (mostly) crap, the players we let go went on to thrive, and Todd Bowles looks like Rex Ryan without the ability to scheme on occasion.  Even worse, other AFC teams like the Dolphins, Titans, Colts, and Raiders took steps towards improvement and now have us firmly in their rear view mirror.  With Brady and Roethlisberger still in place, it's going to be a long time until we see the playoffs again.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

The delusion is that you think money is no object

I don't know where you get that.  I was a huge Tannenbaum fan (still am) for his cap acumen, I hated the contracts they gave to Mo Wilkerson, David Harris, and Darrelle Revis, players with little heart and an uncanny ability to fold in high pressure situations.  The Patriots spend very little but get guys who are burning to win. 

The only comments I've made about money in this thread are about the contract given to Fitzpatrick which hardly crippled us and wouldn't have led to the signing of anyone else who could have turned 5-11 into 10-6 which is what it would have taken to get a wildcard in 2016.

SAR I

On 2/9/2017 at 11:47 PM, Jet Nut said:

I want to thank him for holding out and making the team pay him $12 mil and promptly going out and flushing the season down the drain with his historically bad play at QB.  Then adding levity to the season claiming no one supported him.

Dont let the door smack you in the ass on the way out.  For 2016 you will go down as one of the worst starting QBs in the history of the NY Jets, in the history of football, congrats. 

lol, wut ?   He was a free agent and his agent asked for 18 mill , as he is paid to do.  He accepted 12 mill.  Macc made a rookie mistake leaving his deal on the table like a desperate piker.  Everybody wants to get paid, this is a silly argument.

He said ownership lost faith in him, but that he still believed in himself.  In the super macho world of the NFL, what would you expect him to say ?  I guess he learned not to be honest in this market of hysterical media coverage and instant outrage.

Sadly, his 2016 wasn't all that bad, even for Jets QB's.  I was much more disappointed in Revis retiring and Mo coasting.  I saw both of them literally walk around while the play was live last year.

The QB always gets the blame, so Fitz is the focus, I get that.

I am happy he is gone as well, he is what he is, a jag journeyman with amazing timing and luck.

He was supposed to back up Geno until Petty was ready and then the Jets happened.

We'll always have the pats OT win, right?  I mean the cheaters elected to kick off in OT and the jets shoved it down their ******* throats !!!!!

Good on Fitz for raiding the piggybank shows his superior intelligence as opposed to Maccs ... And further more right now Fitz is a better QB than Geno ( zero football brains ) Petty ( I smile a lot ) Hack ( inaccurate noddle arm )

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

lol, wut ?   He was a free agent and his agent asked for 18 mill , as he is paid to do.  He accepted 12 mill.  Macc made a rookie mistake leaving his deal on the table like a desperate piker.  Everybody wants to get paid, this is a silly argument.

He said ownership lost faith in him, but that he still believed in himself.  In the super macho world of the NFL, what would you expect him to say ?  I guess he learned not to be honest in this market of hysterical media coverage and instant outrage.

Beautifully stated.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

On this point we agree.

But along the way, there are turning points for a franchise, there are moments where you think you may be turning a corner and taking a necessary, winning step towards recruiting good free agents, quality coaches, and getting set for a run.  After the disasters of 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014, the 2015 season felt like that, it felt like Maccagnan was successfully rebuilding on-the-fly and that if one of the kid QB's checked we might be set to cut from Fitzpatrick in 2017 and go after the Patriots finally. 

But 2016 exposed a lot more than the failings of a lousy journeyman quarterback.  The OL, DL, LBs, RBs, Secondary, Special Teams, Coaching, the entire team fell on its face and showed that the free agents we signed were crap, the homegrown players we retained were (mostly) crap, the players we let go went on to thrive, and Todd Bowles looks like Rex Ryan without the ability to scheme on occasion.  Even worse, other AFC teams like the Dolphins, Titans, Colts, and Raiders took steps towards improvement and now have us firmly in their rear view mirror.  With Brady and Roethlisberger still in place, it's going to be a long time until we see the playoffs again.

SAR I

If Macc goes out and over pays for another QB, this franchise is in for a longer haul in the depths of the NFL. Geno and Kaepernick are clearly upgrades over Petty and Hack. Trading Petty gets something back. Not signing day 1 FA gives the Jets to reign in the cap for the long haul. 

The Jets may not win a SB with Smith or Kaepernick. Those reasonably priced players will allow Hack to get reps and for the Jets to rebuild the many gaping holes in the roster to make a run from 2018 and beyond.

10 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

If Macc goes out and over pays for another QB, this franchise is in for a longer haul in the depths of the NFL. Geno and Kaepernick are clearly upgrades over Petty and Hack. Trading Petty gets something back. Not signing day 1 FA gives the Jets to reign in the cap for the long haul. 

The Jets may not win a SB with Smith or Kaepernick. Those reasonably priced players will allow Hack to get reps and for the Jets to rebuild the many gaping holes in the roster to make a run from 2018 and beyond.

Many were satisfied when we signed Fitzpatrick a QB who has never made the playoffs in his life so why shouldnt they be pacified with Smith II or Kaepernick as you mentioned. 

I dont trust Macc and his decision making is proof positive that he usually does the wrong thing and probably will. 

A disastrous 2017 will lead to more PSL's being abandoned and sold for pennies on the dollar. 

The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is both he and Bowles will be fired. 

Priceless is this reaction to Fitzpatricks 6 INT game. 

Image result for ryan fitzpatrick 6 ints gifs

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Off of 2015 it was a good deal for the Jets. Because you're talking only one season and 12 mil total. He was the lowest paid starter in the NFL except for guys on rookie deals and RG3. If they had given him a 3-36 then I'd agree with you. The Jets did not want to be in a position where if he had a good year in 2016 and the Jets went to the playoffs they would have to give him a starters multi-year deal; So they offered him the low ball 2nd and 3rd years at 6 mil per. He bet on himself, turned it down and lost. His current market value is probably under 6 mil per Ok his week 17 performance hurt him financially. But the Jets had no idea he would be throwing picks like they were something out of a t-shirt toss. My complaint about that deal wasn't the 12 mil. It was not signing him to it earlier so he could go into camp and the team practice with the player the Jets wanted to be their starting Qb. If they didn't think he was worth the 12 mil then they should have gone in a different direction. And not basically disrupted the team and players esp after a good season. Look we had this argument a year ago and for the entire summer so neither one of us is going to change opinions. But at least we're being civil about it. And agree that Fitz had to go. I'm all for signing TT if available. I think we could win at least 8 games with him and maybe go back to 10.

How was paying a QB who sucked as bad as much as Fitz sucked for 12 mil a good deal?  Explain that one to us.  What makes it a good deal, that its not 20mil?  25? He ultimately was overpaid, they could have sucked for a lot less money with any number of QBs, starting with a couple that were already on the roster.  He was overpaid not only because of what he did in 2016 but because his history said that the Jets should have ignored 2015, he was going to fail in year two as he did everywhere he signed before.  They could have a much more productive player on their roster for a 2nd year now.  This isnt hard to understand, that you have an unnatural love of Fitz and insist that he should he paid like a franchise QB when he as far from one as there is.   

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

The money doesn't matter.  If you want to talk about financial waste, let's talk Darrelle Revis, David Harris, Muhammed Wilkerson, or a host of other Jets who didn't earn what they were paid.  And, again, if Fitz was overpaid by $5M or so, there was no QB or skill player out there who would have taken our $5M and gotten us from 5-11 to 11-5 so there is no point of bringing up the money.  The whole team didn't earn their pay.  Picking only on Fitzpatrick is silly, he was not even one of the 10 Jets that hurt us the most this past season.

As for why we had to sign Fitzpatrick in 2016 at all is directly a result of how bad Geno Smith was.  He simply wasn't an option.  So it boiled down to Petty or Fitzpatrick and Fitzpatrick was the only option.

SAR I

And what part of this nonsense makes the Fitz deal good or even acceptable.  Not seeing that part of the statement.  No one is picking on poor little RF.  You play QB, you hold out for 12 mil, you put on your big boy pants and take the criticism when you suck as much as he did, when you are the biggest reason a 10 win team goes down like a ball of fire.  You dont blame a rehabbing Mo or a aging HOF player.

Northing about the Fitz signing had anything to do with how good Geno was or wasnt.  He was outplaying Fitz, from all accounts by a large margin when IK ended his season.  

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Many were satisfied when we signed Fitzpatrick a QB who has never made the playoffs in his life so why shouldnt they be pacified with Smith II or Kaepernick as you mentioned. 

I dont trust Macc and his decision making is proof positive that he usually does the wrong thing and probably will. 

A disastrous 2017 will lead to more PSL's being abandoned and sold for pennies on the dollar. 

The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is both he and Bowles will be fired. 

A lot of posters here have never experienced the Jets Winning a SB. That team was built over a 4 year period with no Free Agency like today. 

17 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Today's NFL it's sink or swim, and for the Jets especially since both Petty and Hackenberg already have had their redshirt years the investment in salary and time is very high. 

For the Jets to go after a bonafide starter right now makes no sense.  We're not a win-now team and we have two QB youngsters we have to validate.  2017 is the year for Petty and Hackenberg to tell us something on the field while we rebuild the OL and secondary and layer on some potential playmakers.  It's a year to go 3-13, shed ourselves of old/lazy players, goodbye David Harris, goodbye Darrelle Revis, give a lot of first and second year guys a ton of playing time. 

We need a veteran backup quarterback, and that's it.  The key word being 'backup', not a guy who is going to threaten for the starting job.  Petty and Hack get all the reps, no fanbase screaming for the old veteran.  Sounds crazy, I know, but names like Sanchez and Fitzpatrick make a lot of sense as they are only backups and no Jets fans would be screaming for them to replace the kids.  That's the plan.  We get young next year.  It's a throwaway season in the short term, pays big benefits in the long term.

SAR I

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

No team in the NFL has a throwaway season thats the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard in my life. 

Image result for herm you play to win the game pics

as amazing as it sounds, all of the losing for the raiders and browns has them positioned better than the jets now.  the raiders suffered the losing without panicking, and there was never a whisper about Hue Jacksons job security

no one tries to lose, but you can resist giving a big name player a dumb deal so young kids can be developed by playing

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Today's NFL it's sink or swim, and for the Jets especially since both Petty and Hackenberg already have had their redshirt years the investment in salary and time is very high. 

For the Jets to go after a bonafide starter right now makes no sense.  We're not a win-now team and we have two QB youngsters we have to validate.  2017 is the year for Petty and Hackenberg to tell us something on the field while we rebuild the OL and secondary and layer on some potential playmakers.  It's a year to go 3-13, shed ourselves of old/lazy players, goodbye David Harris, goodbye Darrelle Revis, give a lot of first and second year guys a ton of playing time. 

We need a veteran backup quarterback, and that's it.  The key word being 'backup', not a guy who is going to threaten for the starting job.  Petty and Hack get all the reps, no fanbase screaming for the old veteran.  Sounds crazy, I know, but names like Sanchez and Fitzpatrick make a lot of sense as they are only backups and no Jets fans would be screaming for them to replace the kids.  That's the plan.  We get young next year.  It's a throwaway season in the short term, pays big benefits in the long term.

SAR I

Again I ask; do you really believe what you post here? 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No team in the NFL has a throwaway season thats the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard in my life. 

Image result for herm you play to win the game pics

The Jets have a few trades to make for draft picks. The picks can be for 2017 or 2018. Petty should be one of them. He is nearly as old as Smith with much less experience. 2017 needs the Jets to get a FA QB or two at reasonable prices. 

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

as amazing as it sounds, all of the losing for the raiders and browns has them positioned better than the jets now.  the raiders suffered the losing without panicking, and there was never a whisper about Hue Jacksons job security

no one tries to lose, but you can resist giving a big name player a dumb deal so young kids can be developed by playing

Truth be told we lose and are in no better position as far as anything goes the Raiders and Browns are in a better position than the Jets in all aspects. 

Archived