Small School Prospects Impressing

thadude

At Senior Bowl week.  The guys Mac needs to lock onto are Julien Davenport, LT Bucknell; Obi Melifonwu, Strong Safety UConn; and Hassan Reddick; DE/LB Temple.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000779622/article/haason-reddick-tops-mike-mayocks-senior-bowl-practice-stars

Reddick was a DE in college but is capable of moving to play OLB in either a 3-4 or 4-3 and have a similar career to Mathias Kiwanuka.

All these players should be targeted by us in rounds 3-4 though the Packers are reportedly coveting Davenport and could take him in round 2

The thing with Davenport is that he's projected to be a bit of a project. He needs technique work and he needs to face elite talent to show he can adjust and improve. You're basically taking him knowing his impact will be very minimal, if at all, in year one... I do like him and I think his ceiling is high, but the 2nd or 3rd round for somewhat of a project LT might be too much of a risk for the Jets...

MM and the front office need impact guys right now if they want to save their jobs. Can they afford (or convince the fan base) that Davenport has so much potential that he's worth grabbing instead of someone who might be able to play day 1?... Right or wrong, I just can't see them using a 3rd round pick on a guy who may not see the field much at first... He could really be in line for a "red shirt" year.

Again I do like him. I think he has tons of potential and I actually think it makes sense for the Jets to draft a high ceiling guy that can develop for a year or two...  I just don't know if he's going to fit the Jets plan this year. I think MM is going to want someone who can go play right away. 

And to add to @DMan77 's point, Obi Melifonwu is another raw prospect. Scouts are drooling over his athleticism, size, speed and strength. But to be a good safety it takes so much more than that. And his weaknesses are proper tackling, takes bad angles, slow reaction time, poor play recognition, lacks natural instincts, etc. Great talent, but needs a ton of polish.

Not sure about Reddick tho. Maybe someone else can chime in.    

18 hours ago, DMan77 said:

The thing with Davenport is that he's projected to be a bit of a project. He needs technique work and he needs to face elite talent to show he can adjust and improve. You're basically taking him knowing his impact will be very minimal, if at all, in year one... I do like him and I think his ceiling is high, but the 2nd or 3rd round for somewhat of a project LT might be too much of a risk for the Jets...

MM and the front office need impact guys right now if they want to save their jobs. Can they afford (or convince the fan base) that Davenport has so much potential that he's worth grabbing instead of someone who might be able to play day 1?... Right or wrong, I just can't see them using a 3rd round pick on a guy who may not see the field much at first... He could really be in line for a "red shirt" year.

Again I do like him. I think he has tons of potential and I actually think it makes sense for the Jets to draft a high ceiling guy that can develop for a year or two...  I just don't know if he's going to fit the Jets plan this year. I think MM is going to want someone who can go play right away. 

Well I doubt we sign Whitworth now that we blew our load on Winters so we need a LT somewhere

The packers are a helluva lot better at evaluating talent than we are if they like Davenport I'm on board.  Reports are he just needs to get stronger which is all in conditionig

17 hours ago, PepPep said:

And to add to @DMan77 's point, Obi Melifonwu is another raw prospect. Scouts are drooling over his athleticism, size, speed and strength. But to be a good safety it takes so much more than that. And his weaknesses are proper tackling, takes bad angles, slow reaction time, poor play recognition, lacks natural instincts, etc. Great talent, but needs a ton of polish.

Not sure about Reddick tho. Maybe someone else can chime in.    

We're not using a top 6 pick on a fn Safety.  It's stupid

On 2/11/2017 at 9:18 AM, thadude said:

We're not using a top 6 pick on a fn Safety.  It's stupid

I don't think anyone is talking about any of these prospects going 6th overall to the Jets. lol. Obi Melifonwu is a 3rd-4th round prospect and his stock could go in either direction depending on how he does in workouts and the combine leading up to the draft. 

Having said that, this draft actually has a couple of Safety prospects that could very well go in the top 10. Adams and Hooker. Say what you will about taking a safety high, and no, it's probably not the move for the Jets, but Safety has become a much more CRITICAL position in the last few years in the NFL and Hooker is a special player with immense upside and he will probably make an immediate impact for whoever drafts him. Adams is in the same league and is as polished as it gets. The do different things well, but both are play-makers and great talents and I can;t argue against taking either in the top 10 if that is what your team needs.    

Archived