Was 2016 the year for the best endings in the history of sports?

JustInFudge

On the heels of that incredible Super Bowl ending, I was thinking back on the year.  Was 2016 the year of the best endings in the history of sports?

College Basketball - Nova vs. UNC - buzzer beater shot to win the National Championship.

NBA Basketball - Warriors vs. Cavs -  down 3-1, Cleveland forces game 7 and wins on the road by 4 points vs. the team that broke the record for most regular season wins.

Baseball - Cubs vs. Indians - 7 games, the most thrilling game 7 I could ever imagine, ending in extra innings for their first World Series title in 100 years. 

College Football - Clemson v.s Bama - 2 minutes left, down 3 points, Clemson scores the go ahead TD with 1 second left on the game clock.

NFL - Pats vs. Falcons - biggest comeback in the history of the Super Bowl, first ever Overtime game in the Super Bowl

The only major sports league that didnt have a incredible finish was Hockey...and it wasnt terrible.  It went 6 games.  Hell, even college baseball had a pretty thrilling ending in its game 3 that came down to the last out in the bottom of the 9th.

I cant recall a year with better endings than what we saw in 2016.  Too bad none of my teams were hoisting a trophy.  That said, I always have the mind set when I dont have a dog in the race that I just want to see a great game.  Well, it safe to say 2016 didnt disappoint.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum mods, but the thought just came across my mind and figured I'd see if the board could remember a year with better endings to each sports respective championship.  

2 hours ago, JiF said:

On the heels of that incredible Super Bowl ending, I was thinking back on the year.  Was 2016 the year of the best endings in the history of sports?

College Basketball - Nova vs. UNC - buzzer beater shot to win the National Championship.

NBA Basketball - Warriors vs. Cavs -  down 3-1, Cleveland forces game 7 and wins on the road by 4 points vs. the team that broke the record for most regular season wins.

Baseball - Cubs vs. Indians - 7 games, the most thrilling game 7 I could ever imagine, ending in extra innings for their first World Series title in 100 years. 

College Football - Clemson v.s Bama - 2 minutes left, down 3 points, Clemson scores the go ahead TD with 1 second left on the game clock.

NFL - Pats vs. Falcons - biggest comeback in the history of the Super Bowl, first ever Overtime game in the Super Bowl

The only major sports league that didnt have a incredible finish was Hockey...and it wasnt terrible.  It went 6 games.  Hell, even college baseball had a pretty thrilling ending in its game 3 that came down to the last out in the bottom of the 9th.

I cant recall a year with better endings than what we saw in 2016.  Too bad none of my teams were hoisting a trophy.  That said, I always have the mind set when I dont have a dog in the race that I just want to see a great game.  Well, it safe to say 2016 didnt disappoint.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum mods, but the thought just came across my mind and figured I'd see if the board could remember a year with better endings to each sports respective championship.  

Good point.  I don't remember a sports year where so many major championships went down to the end with game 7s or final minute, etc.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Good point.  I don't remember a sports year where so many major championships went down to the end with game 7s or final minute, etc.

For sure...and the dramatics about it too.  Cleveland's first Championship in how long?  And then they were damn close in baseball util the Cubs.  And how long had it been for the Cubs?  That game was just incredible.  Absolutely one of the best baseball games I've ever witnessed. 

Bama vs. Clemson repeat and they split. Bama takes the lead with a 40 yard run with 2 minutes left.  Clemson has the game winning drive to the last second. The Kiffin situation. 

And the UNC v.s Nova game was insane.  The controversial foul.  The double clutch 3 to tie the game with 4 seconds left.  And then a length of the court possession for Nova.  It was unreal.

The decisions in the Super Bowl.  

The LeBron block in the finals.

Some good drama right there. 

10 hours ago, JiF said:

I agree, if you are just a pure sports fan, it's probably one of the best years for Championship moments because there were a ton of exciting finishes.

...Unfortunately for me, it's hard to not have a horse in the race, and inevitiably, I end up rooting for a certain team and it's not always golden.

I rooted for the Cubs, mainly because my team wasn't there and I loved the youth movement they enacted in the past years (Similar to the Sixers in the NBA, but more successful).  That was a good result.   

I rooted for the Warriors because as a Knicks fan, I wanted to see the Bulls lose the record, and I, irrationally, dislike Lebron and Kyrie (I'm a UNC basketball fan).  That was horrible.  

The Superbowl was horrible for me after the half because of who won.  Anyone else and that would have been a great game for me.  Instead, I ended up yelling, screaming, and throwing pillows even though my team didn't even make the playoffs.  To top it off, my wife kept saying "Don't celebrate too early" when the Falcons had the huge lead, and I proceeded to research and tell her about how it's virtually impossible to blow such a big lead so I'm going to celebrate early!  Did not need that!

College Basketball- It was horrible, UNC fan and just horrible.  

College Football- Loved it, was rooting against Alabama so I loved the comeback win.  

I'll add one more, F1 racing I believe came down to the last race as well, although I didn't follow it.  

6 hours ago, win4ever said:

I agree, if you are just a pure sports fan, it's probably one of the best years for Championship moments because there were a ton of exciting finishes.

...Unfortunately for me, it's hard to not have a horse in the race, and inevitiably, I end up rooting for a certain team and it's not always golden.

I rooted for the Cubs, mainly because my team wasn't there and I loved the youth movement they enacted in the past years (Similar to the Sixers in the NBA, but more successful).  That was a good result.   

I rooted for the Warriors because as a Knicks fan, I wanted to see the Bulls lose the record, and I, irrationally, dislike Lebron and Kyrie (I'm a UNC basketball fan).  That was horrible.  

The Superbowl was horrible for me after the half because of who won.  Anyone else and that would have been a great game for me.  Instead, I ended up yelling, screaming, and throwing pillows even though my team didn't even make the playoffs.  To top it off, my wife kept saying "Don't celebrate too early" when the Falcons had the huge lead, and I proceeded to research and tell her about how it's virtually impossible to blow such a big lead so I'm going to celebrate early!  Did not need that!

College Basketball- It was horrible, UNC fan and just horrible.  

College Football- Loved it, was rooting against Alabama so I loved the comeback win.  

I'll add one more, F1 racing I believe came down to the last race as well, although I didn't follow it.  

Ouch!  yeah, tough year for you.  The only one that stung for me was the SB because of the Pats hate.  I hate LeBron too but that didnt bother me as much because I like Kyrie and you had to feel somewhat happy for Cleveland.  I was rooting for the Indians but I really didnt care.  I wanted Clemson to win but again, didnt really care.

F1 had a big finish?  In addition to the Australian open and the AFL? And wasnt there a huge soccer upset too? 

Pretty good year for the sports fans of the world. 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Change best endings to most historic endings and you'd get a lot more people here to agree. "Best" endings is a bit much for me (and I suspect others); particularly so soon after the cheaters just won another SB.

Great advice.  Too bad I cant edit the title.  Dick

16 hours ago, JiF said:

And wasnt there a huge soccer upset too? 

Yeah, Leicester City won the Premier League. Normally relegation candidates, they were 5,000-1 at the start of the season to win it. Things are back to normal this year, they're a point above the relegation zone, and haven't scored a league goal since last year.

And the F1 finish was great. Watching Hamilton's deranged fanbase collectively lose it was even more enjoyable -  especially after Rosberg promptly announced his retirement..

On 2/14/2017 at 5:33 PM, Hael said:

At the Aussie open, Federer won an incredible fifth set win against Nadal to cement his legacy as the best of all time.

I don't ever watch tennis, so not sure if this is a joke or not.

Are these 2 still playing each other in the final?

Thats an incredible run, they must've been playing each other in the finals for 10+ years, no?

On 2/15/2017 at 7:50 AM, JiF said:

Ouch!  yeah, tough year for you.  The only one that stung for me was the SB because of the Pats hate.  I hate LeBron too but that didnt bother me as much because I like Kyrie and you had to feel somewhat happy for Cleveland.  I was rooting for the Indians but I really didnt care.  I wanted Clemson to win but again, didnt really care.

F1 had a big finish?  In addition to the Australian open and the AFL? And wasnt there a huge soccer upset too? 

Pretty good year for the sports fans of the world. 

Yeah, it was an up and down year sports wise. 

Yeah, I believe they came down to the last race and the guy had to finish third or something to assure a win in the championship.  I don't follow it well enough to know it for sure, but he won by 5 points, and he finished 2nd in the last race.  Second gets 18 points, and 3rd gets 15, and 4th gets 12.  So if he finished 4th, he would have lost since Hamilton won the last race.  

Yeah, Soccer had that big upset too. 

Also, there were the Olympics, albeit not sure how many people cared.  

Archived