New Kiper Mock has us taking.....

Stark

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Let's do this with every position!

We could.  It would be fun.  It's technically what the people in charge of the draft do for every team, no?  Well, clearly BigMac doesnt but other teams do this all offseason leading up to the draft.

The only issue with doing this is at other positions is that they arent as easy to fill as the RB position.  It's a plug and play position where success is more predicated on the play of the OL and QB than the talent of the RB.  So, while it would be a fun exercise, it wouldnt have the same impact that it does with a RB.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Stark said:

What if Fournette turns out to be Adrian Peterson? What if Cook is worse? What if.....??? 

What exactly has Adrain Peterson done for the Vikings?  What has Todd Gurley done for the Rams?

RB is probably the least important position in all of Football. 

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

imo zeke puts the run game into an elite class.  for the nest 4 seasons the cowboys can probably bank on it.  and it will help prescott immensely.  i get your point about ramsey but even there, coming in as arookie it's hard to say if he would've matched up well against green bay.  down the road, probably. and now the cowboys can pick a decent cb in this draft.

They were already elite.  Demarco Murray led the league in rushing 3 years ago, they were top 10 last year with McFadden and he ran for over 1,000 yards with straight doodoo at QB.  Sure, Zeke was a monster but so what?  That team was all about Dak Prescott.  Teams dont get better, they get better QB play. 

Ramsey is really good.  Not sure there is a corner like him in this draft. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

What exactly has Adrain Peterson done for the Vikings?  What has Todd Gurley done for the Rams?

RB is probably the least important position in all of Football. 

I don't disagree with you. This responding to previous posts started off of someone saying that Williams was more of an impact player than Fournette. I disagreed with that statement because WRs are dependent on QB's. See DeAndre Hopkins as an example.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Trubisky and Hooker scare me as 1 year wonders.

Fournette has injury problems

No clear LT pick in the vicinity.

Don't like Kizer. Need to see more from Watson

When you don't have a QB or are not sure you have a QB, you don't pass on one with the resume of Watson or the potential of Trubisky  .  IN the case of Wtason, I could see taking the potential of Ramczyk over him, but it's close . No QB drafted from this draft should be under center at the start of the 2017 season, so that puts Ramczyk ahead of Watson while just behind Trubisky IMO.  Last yr there was Elliot, and this year it's Cook and Fournette .  Next yr there will be someone else, younger and not as beat up while the OL will continue to bond  and get stronger .

Build the OL and the pass rush, and fill in around that while searching for that elusive QB .

The Cowboys had a snakebit year in 2015 and at least their offense was in better shape than the Jets is.  They thought they could add a RB to their offense and ride Zeke and Romo to the playoffs.  It was smart thinking, and they got lucky that Prescott could fill in for Romo.   Now, if they could have made the Jets/ShelRich trade work they could possibly have gone to the SB, but that is another story.

If you have a competitive team that needs a spark and you are picking at the bottom of the rounds, RBs are usually available there.   Fournette has a 5 year contract and potentially a 5 year career.  It is a huge leap of faith to draft him there.  He may be the guy you need in 2019, but he does not help much in 2017 given they already have Forte and Powell.   So...I think this is where the rubber hits the road....I don't know how much he helps Macc and Bowles keep their jobs in 2017.  A Williams or Hooker provide an injection/talent upgrade to positions that need it and allow the Jets to jettison at least 1 player and lots of cap room that could be applied to a FA CB, S, EDGE (Perry, Ingram), LT (Whitworth), etc.   Fournette does not lead to freeing up any cap room and is more of a long term play and is less than a sure thing.   There are other players that are sure things and immediate impact.  I think the Jets should have learned by now that early rounds need to be immediate impact-that is how the contracts are structured.

Not for nothing, Darron Lee had more impact last year than the WRs picked after him.  

1 minute ago, Stark said:

I don't disagree with you. This responding to previous posts started off of someone saying that Williams was more of an impact player than Fournette. I disagreed with that statement because WRs are dependent on QB's. See DeAndre Hopkins as an example.

DeAndre Hopkins has thrived with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, Ryan Mallet, Tom Savage, T.J. Yates and Brandon Weeden under center.  Am I bitter that I picked Hopkins in fantasy and Osweiler is that bad?  Maybe a little.

1 hour ago, jdeacon said:

The jets do need plug and play players. I just fear that Fournette isn't going to be nearly as impact-full in the NFL as he was in college. Everyone is faster, bigger and hits harder, I could be way off I just do not see him being an all pro rb, probably just a decent one.

Fournette is a beast. The transition to the NFL will not be the problem. The problem will be running behind an average Oline on a team with no QB where defenses will stack the box. That can turn any RB into a bust. 

If we take Fournette we can't go into next season with Hack/Petty unless Macc thinks that one of the QBs is much farther ahead than they are letting on. So if we draft Fournette, that will likely mean we are seriously targeting Romo/Glennon type. 

To me, you have to go BPA. And I know that is a cliche and I know you ALWAYS have to take needs into consideration as well. Duh. 

I get the argument that RBs have a short shelf life, I get that they need a good o-line to be successful, I get that this is a loaded draft class at RB, etc, etc.

But the bottom line is that Fournette is a special talent. So all of this other stuff simply does not matter as much. The argument that defenders in the NFL are stronger, bogger, faster only makes sense when you are talking a bout a player that dominated at the college level but is not a premier talent. Fournette is the opposite. He is THE premier talent. We have not seen a guy with his combination of strength, speed and agility in a long time. If anything, he is the player you worry LEAST about when talking about a transition from college to the NFL.

HERE IS THE CONCERN: His nagging ankle injury. That's pretty much it for me. If his ankle comes up on medical reports as a red flag. If he is not 100% healthy heading into the combine or he re-injures himself at his pro day, or whatever. That would be the only reason I pass on him at 6 overall.

That is my view. People who say, well you need to surround him with good players to have success. Ok. Duh. Of course. You can pretty much say that about any position except maybe kicker. That is the team's responsibility. But if you are looking at the draft and the prospect, there is nothing wrong with the Jets taking Fournette at 6 overall.   

56 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I think this kid is the next AP minus the switch

Agreed. That really isn't the question. The question is whether it is worth the 6th overall pick? 

While I don't think it's the best position to target at 6, we haven't drafted a hall of fame caliber offensive playmaker in my lifetime. Al Toon was great, but not a big time playmaker. Keyshawn was excellent but flawed. Fournette has a chance to be the kind of guy we can enjoy watching for 5 or 6 years. So I won't complain if we take him. It's not like taking guys like Milliner/Richardson have netted us a title. 

20 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Fournette has injury problems

Ugh, can we stop with this nonsense? What are his injury problems? He's a running back that had an ankle injury. He hasn't had multiple knee surgeries. He hasn't had any surgeries by my recollection.  Teams passed on Adrian Peterson because of "injury issues" also.

From ESPN in 2007:

"Despite the recent deconstruction of Peterson, the concerns over durability and toughness and the fact he started only 14 games over his final two college seasons before bypassing his final year of eligibility and entering the draft, the Oklahoma star won't be on the draft board long. "

The Jets need impact players across the board.  At # 6 they need to take the player that will have the biggest and most immediate impact on their team in 2017. I wont pretend to know who that is, but if there's a QB available that grades out as a top 10 pick, the Jets have to be all in.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

as much as i love fournette and cook and will pound the table to take one, there are other rbs the jets could take in later rounds who are also good. maybe they take kamara in the 2nd, or curtis samuel in a later round.  

I think Kamara is going to go right after Cook. I don't know if he will be around when we pick in the 2nd round.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

as much as i love fournette and cook and will pound the table to take one, there are other rbs the jets could take in later rounds who are also good. maybe they take kamara in the 2nd, or curtis samuel in a later round.  

And that is the best argument for passing on Fournette. There are always stud or at least very RBs found in later rounds. More so than other positions. But passing on Fournette could be a move we regret for a long time. 

19 minutes ago, Stark said:

Meh, sometimes the WR can truly help make the QB.  Hopkins actually had a very normal season for him...a little lower than the years before but it's not like he had great QB's those years either.  Hoyer, Fitz, Keenum, Mallet, Savage, etc.  Pretty sh*tty actually. 

Our secondary has more holes in it than Bin Ladens forehead why the hell would be take a RB when Powell just proved he can be a huge contributor to this offense?! Our defense relies heavily on Man coverage corners. It's not a sexy pick and it is the "same old jets picking defense" but at #6 we're either taking a CB if we don't sign a top one in free agency or we're taking Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker because our safeties are horrendous.

14 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And that is the best argument for passing on Fournette. There are always stud or at least very RBs found in later rounds. More so than other positions. But passing on Fournette could be a move we regret for a long time. 

i waver here.  on the one hand i understand the positional value argument.  on the other, this team never drafts offensive players in the first round, and that's why most of the 2016 starting offense was imported from other teams.  also, if mccags is truly committed to hackenberg, the best thing he can do is not take a cb in the first round, but to surround him with as good a supporting cast as possible.  i wouldn't mind if they traded back to the middle of the first round and took howard from alabama, got a 2nd rounder and got another offensive player in the 2nd with that pick.  give hack another rb, give him a real TE, give him a real LT so he's got a chance to succeed.  

again, i love fournette and cook, but not at 6, but i will be hypocritical in the weeks leading up to the draft praying they finally take an offensive player in round 1.

For the Jets to be good next year as with previous years they must establish an excellent run game. It's still an unknown at what the Jets will do with the QB saga. None the less a successful run game is essential for the Jets to win. I wouldn't have a problem with Fournette at #6. However O-Line and Secondary needs an injection of quality talent.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

When you don't have a QB or are not sure you have a QB, you don't pass on one with the resume of Watson or the potential of Trubisky  .  IN the case of Wtason, I could see taking the potential of Ramczyk over him, but it's close . No QB drafted from this draft should be under center at the start of the 2017 season, so that puts Ramczyk ahead of Watson while just behind Trubisky IMO.  Last yr there was Elliot, and this year it's Cook and Fournette .  Next yr there will be someone else, younger and not as beat up while the OL will continue to bond  and get stronger .

Build the OL and the pass rush, and fill in around that while searching for that elusive QB .

So you don't pass on a QB until you pass on a QB. got it. 

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Dallas should absolutely be kicking themselves for not trading for Sheldon Richardson. Their 1st round pick was 28th. That's essentially a high second round pick. And they needed pass rush against Aaron Rodgers. 

This is one of those deals where in retrospect both sides made the wrong decision-that is hard to do and worst case negotiating.

Dallas should have given up their low first round pick for Sheldon-he could have made a difference in the playoffs for them, and he has another year on his rookie deal.

The Jets should have taken a low second round pick, because that is more than they will get now.

You can't make this up.

Archived