New Kiper Mock has us taking.....

Stark

The 2018 draft is loaded with 1st round qbs. Darnold,Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen are all 1st rounders. This year and this draft we should be focusing on rebuilding the oline and the secondary so when next year comes along we can land one of these guys and give them the best shot to succeed. Our safeties are trashcans, our corners are broken, we don't have a reliable LT, I can go on and on. But this draft is loaded with elite level safeties and corners and there are also some stud olineman who will be available early in the 2nd round. DB/OT 1st/2nd round. With all these cuts we should make we'll have 50mil to spend as well. Trumaine Johnson,Stephon Gilmore,Eric Berry,Andrew Whitworth,Chandler Jones are all high level players we can target as well. We don't need Fournette right now

Sign Trumaine Johnson+Chandler Jones

Draft- Marshon Lattimore or Jamal Adams/Malik Hooker in the 1st, OT Taylor Morton or Dion Dawkins in the 2nd

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Trubisky and Hooker scare me as 1 year wonders.

Fournette has injury problems

No clear LT pick in the vicinity.

Don't like Kizer. Need to see more from Watson

He had a bad high ankle sprain this past season. Its not like he's coming off an ACL or achilles tear.  If he participates at the combine it will be a good 5 months of rest for that ankle - the injury concerns are overblown. Plus due to him sitting out multiple games this season he has less thread on the tires than other RB's who put in full workloads.

33 minutes ago, thadude said:

Would be so jet-like to waste the 6 pick on a mediocre Running Back or Safety

The issue with the players in question (Fournette, Cook, Hooker, Adams) is not that they are mediocre.  I think everyone believes that they are very talented and should be impact players in the NFL.

The questions are more 1) even if they are great, is a RB or S worth the 6th pick and 2) will Fournette's game translate to an NFL team who is otherwise not very good.

I think the Franchise tag amounts are instructive.  At 6 the Jets have an opportunity to lock up a very good player at good value compensation for 5 years.  What does a RB or S cost in FA as opposed to some other positions?  A good CB or WR are much more expensive and thus better values to pick in the draft, as is a QB.

11 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

There's been plenty of discussions around here on numerous occasions about the question of whether particular positions are truly worth a first round pick, nevermind a high first-rounder.  While I'm not as extreme about it as others regarding some of the positions, RB is one that just I think has been pointless to spend such a high pick on for a long, long time now.  It's the position with the shortest shelf-life, has a tendency to have at least decent quality readily available for cheap, is at far less of a premium than it used to be, and can often live or die by the five guys in front of him.  As much love as Elliott got for last year, just look at all over the other nobodies Dallas was plugging in behind that OL in the years prior and getting great return from.  Was Elliott ultimately better than them?  Of course, but was the difference significant enough to justify such a high pick at the position?  I still don't think so.  Quite frankly, if the Cowboys hadn't gotten lucky with how Prescott panned out for them, I have a funny feeling that pick wouldn't get nearly as much praise as it does right now.

In the case of Dallas, they were also able to get away with it because they had a solid enough team already built all around (and then stepped in sh*t with Dak).  When you have got the kind of mess the Jets do, it's a whole different story.  While I certainly believe in the concept of BPA, there is also a certain degree of value that comes along with which player is considered the "best", and the value of RB continues to plummet.  It pretty much only beats out kicker, punter, and FB when you really break it all down.

We could look at the pick of Adrian Peterson and say "The Vikings haven't won a Super Bowl, therefore that pick sucks." or we could say Peterson gave that team an offensive identity for the better part of a decade. Todd Gurley is a similar prospect. 

By the way several starting positions have less value than RB, including guard, ilb and 2 down NT. At least an RB can score TDs and change the outcome of the game. 

A premium pick on a running back for a bad team makes very little sense.

1) The Jets are 3 years or more, i think more, from having a realistic chance to be a legit contender.

2 ) The offensive line is below average.

3) The best bang for your buck with a running back is on his rookie contract. 

BOTTOM LINE: Why draft a blue-chip running back on a bad team, put 1000 essentially useless carries of wear and tear on his body, and then have to potentially sign him to a big deal on his second contract if, IF, the team is finally competitive?

ANSWER: You don't.   Drafting a top ten pick blue-chip RB only makes sense if you have a team, and especially an O-Line, already in place.

This silliness needs to stop.

We need to address the pathetic state of the safety/corner positions at the top of the draft with the kind of talent that is available.

We should be taking Malik Hooker. Its about time we had a safety with some serious ball skills.

Teez Tabor is on the board in the second then he would be great opposite Marcus Williams.

Fournette was unbelievable in college, but firstly he won't get the kinda hole he had to run through in college in the nfl, and hesecondly he def wont be running people over in the nfl.

Add to that we have Powell & Forte already who both put up decent seasons....

Jets have to take the BPA at 6 (unless its another interior DL).  The idea that RBs cannot be taken in the top 10 is hogwash. The fact that very good RBs have been found later in the draft does not mean that you cannot choose a RB in the top 10. A RB can touch the ball 20-30 times a game, more than any other position besides QB. 

Depending on how Fournette tests at the combine, he may very well be the BPA at 6. I'd be happy to have him.

33 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

Side note for the draft..can anyone tell me why we pick 7th in the 2nd round and not 6th??

Where teams are tied on record, strength of schedule is used as a tie-breaker. However, those tied teams then rotate in later rounds. So if you have 2 5-11 teams like this year, the team with the weaker SoS picks first in Rd 1 / 3 / 5 / 7, but second in 2 / 4 / 6 (and we already traded our 4).

21 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Fournette is a beast. The transition to the NFL will not be the problem. The problem will be running behind an average Oline on a team with no QB where defenses will stack the box. That can turn any RB into a bust. 

If we take Fournette we can't go into next season with Hack/Petty unless Macc thinks that one of the QBs is much farther ahead than they are letting on. So if we draft Fournette, that will likely mean we are seriously targeting Romo/Glennon type. 

Bear in mind the timing of things - FA happens before the draft (or at least, the 'first wave'). So Romo & Glennon will be signed somewhere long before April's draft rolls round.

So you could flip this and say "if we pick up a Romo or Glennon in FA then it means we have a greater likelihood of drafting Fournette".

I get the increased ticket sales aspect to this projected pick but;

The Jets have already committed $10m of cap space in 2017 for Forte and Powell - this is fully guaranteed so unless traded they would both be on the team along with Fournette

The #6 pick is going to get about $21million dollars on a 4 year rookie contract so they would be the most expensive backfield in the NFL with an unproven QB and a makeshift O-line - not good business IMHO

I think so far there's a compelling reason for us to NOT draft anyone at all at 6 :

QB - no value, need to give Hack a chance

RB - too high, you can find good RBs later, we already have Forte and Powell

WR - we're already stacked, it'd be a luxury pick

TE - too high, not a premium position

OT - no value, mid first round at best

OG / C - not a premium position, can be found in later rounds

DL - we're already stacked, it'd be a wasted pick

OLB - no value at 6

ILB - too high, just took Lee last year

CB - "not again!!!!" Draft is really deep, can get a good player later

S - not a premium position

Personally I'd expect us to go either CB or S ... I can already hear the objections about another CB, but the past is just that - we have nothing to show for it. It could be argued we should "double dip" at CB this draft, especially with the depth this year. S may not be "value" but the chance to draft an elite player at a non-elite position appeals to me more than drafting a non-elite player at an elite position (Ed Reed vs. Bryan Thomas - enough said!). I'd be happy enough with a WR or RB, as we do need playmakers and a lot of our established guys are nearing the end (will Forte, BM or Decker still be here in 2018??). I wouldn't even be too upset if we reached a bit for an OLB / pass rusher.

Whatever we do, I'm sure there'll be enough controversy to keep these boards busy all summer. :-) 

15 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I get it about corners and Safety, since ours stink. the problem is it's a passing league, you need offence. 

Do we,

A) Score more points.

B ) Conceed another TD or two.

I say buck the old trend defence we've been on for a decade. Go Offence!

I'm also in favor of taking offense. However, the fact that this is now a passing league means you need high quality DBs to help contain the opposing offenses. Our weapons on offense are actually pretty good (minus QB) so it's not a great need for us but a guy like Fournette isn't just another RB. He is the next Herschel Walker/Bo Jackson type of RB. 

Honestly, I will be happy with just about any of the guys being discussed in the top 6 except for the QBs. Because any QB we take will be red-shirted like Petty/hack and that is just a waste in my mind. 

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

I get it about corners and Safety, since ours stink. the problem is it's a passing league, you need offence. 

Do we,

A) Score more points.

B ) Conceed another TD or two.

I say buck the old trend defence we've been on for a decade. Go Offence!

Go offense? Sure. If the value is there, why not? The only positions on offense worth a top ten pick are QB and LT. Which are you going with?

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm also in favor of taking offense. However, the fact that this is now a passing league means you need high quality DBs to help contain the opposing offenses. Our weapons on offense are actually pretty good (minus QB) so it's not a great need for us but a guy like Fournette isn't just another RB. He is the next Herschel Walker/Bo Jackson type of RB. 

Honestly, I will be happy with just about any of the guys being discussed in the top 6 except for the QBs. Because any QB we take will be red-shirted like Petty/hack and that is just a waste in my mind. 

I hear you, I think a special Running Back even in a passing age would be very good. I just don't want another corner, even if he's good, he may reduce the number of TD's we Conceed by 3 or 4.

Points on the board is where it's at, Go Offence, a great RB takes  pressure off whoevers  throwing the ball next season.

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I gotta agree with the naysayers re RB at #6.  #6 gets a huge contract/salary and you can get a RB later on for much cheaper.  Can't tie up #6 $ on RB.  End of discussion.    

Except for the fact that when you look at RB salaries they are much lower than other positions.  Franchise tag for RBs is  11.5 million

DE 15.4

LB 14.0

CB 13.7

RBs do not put you in cap hell, bad QBs and guys like REvis and Mo wilk do.

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Except for the fact that when you look at RB salaries they are much lower than other positions.  Franchise tag for RBs is  11.5 million

DE 15.4

LB 14.0

CB 13.7

RBs do not put you in cap hell, bad QBs and guys like REvis and Mo wilk do.

I thought the rookie salary at #6 was fixed regardless of position.  Am I wrong?  Does a RB at #6 get paid less on his rookie deal than a CB at #6?  

Isn't it way too early to bring franchise tagging into the a draft discussion?

14 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I thought the rookie salary at #6 was fixed regardless of position.  Am I wrong?  Does a RB at #6 get paid less on his rookie deal than a CB at #6?  

The rookie scale is low enough for everyone now that it is not an issue, salaries become issues on the guys 2nd contract so that is what a person should look at imo if one is worried about $ ramifications.

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

Jets have to take the BPA at 6 (unless its another interior DL).  The idea that RBs cannot be taken in the top 10 is hogwash. The fact that very good RBs have been found later in the draft does not mean that you cannot choose a RB in the top 10. A RB can touch the ball 20-30 times a game, more than any other position besides QB. 

Depending on how Fournette tests at the combine, he may very well be the BPA at 6. I'd be happy to have him.

I think you're missing the grey point between the black and white. The answer is not just a yes or no as to whether or not a RB can be taken in the top 10.

I also believe a team can take a RB that early if there is a strong O-Line and at least a serviceable QB. 

But for a bad team, a RB that high makes zero sense.

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think the point is that it's cheaper to fill RB and such like in FA and spend draft picks on more premium spots like LT, edge rusher.

Which is all fine - except when those positions would be a massive reach at #6 anyway.

Archived