Revis involved in Altercation; Criminal Charges Filed - MERGED

Matt39

Why would anyone want Revis even before this incident. This is a blessing in disguise. He is a year older after an absolutely terrible season. He had zero passion and showed terrible effort and had excuses.. like being overweight. What a joke you get paid ridiculous amounts of money and show up overweight. Awesome thanks Revis. An average FA CB would be an upgrade over Revis.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I'm answering my own question:

jets have a one day window to cut Revis and potentially save the $6 million on March 9,2017

There is ambiguous language in Revis contract stating the team can void guaranteed $ if it believes the player is engaged in conduct detrimental to the team

Revis's lawyers will file a grievance if the jets do this and then it's up to an arbitrator (if Revis is convicted or takes a plea deal jets probably win at arbitration)

3 minutes ago, thadude said:

jets have a one day window to cut Revis and potentially save the $6 million on March 9,2017

There is ambiguous language in Revis contract stating the team can void guaranteed $ if it believes the player is engaged in conduct detrimental to the team

Revis's lawyers will file a grievance if the jets do this and then it's up to an arbitrator (if Revis is convicted or takes a plea deal jets probably win at arbitration)

I think you're on to something here, but the Jets can do this in a way that finally makes them look like a professional organization. Wait a few days, then release a number of players all at once, say Revis, Giacomini, Marshall and maybe release/rework Mangold. Say all the right things, how we are making football decisions etc. Not a peep about any legal issues with Revis. If/when he is ever found to have done anything, they can then probably claw back any money they may be charged under the cap rules if the contract is voided for a morals clause. Point is , the Jets are finally in a position of strength with Revis, and only if they do something stupid like trying to void the deal versus just cutting him because he is no longer any good, they can't lose.

9 minutes ago, thadude said:

Imo it's too risky to depend on an arbitrator ultimately ruling in favor of the Jets on the issue of conduct detrimental to the team.  The risk is if Revis is found innocent, no arbitrator is going to say merely being arrested is conduct detrimental to the Jets if there's no ultimate disposition involving a finding of guilt.  The only way the risk is acceptable is if the Jets reach their own determination that Revis is likely to enter a guilty plea or be found guilty.  Imo.

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Nothing hard to understand are you flexing? 

So you invested as much money in your multiple homes that Revis is probably investing in his development in his home state of Pittsburgh? 

Save your bullsh*t bragging nonsense for someone who wants to hear it Mr.Real Estate 101. 

I have a bridge for sale and some swamp land in Florida interested?

Nice way to avoid the gist of the post. The way you responded is a reply though. It shows you know that Revis' explanation is bullsh*t and doesn't hold water. Otherwise you would have tried to refute my points. You can't and you know it. Grow up and face the facts. Revis is as good as gone. His spin "explanation" is  thin as hell and is kind of insulting when you really think about it. So take off the Revis colored glasses and face the facts. Yes Revis was a great player for this team. That doesn't mean he is infallible and doesn't make mistakes. He is a man doing a job that for whatever reason he doesn't do as well anymore. Its not personal its business. Time to cut bait and move on. Bye Bye Revis.

58 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Really???  He is the most selfish NY JET in the last 10 years.  I wouldn't wash my car with a Revis Jersey.

All honesty...  I havent read the charges, I dont care, I give him the benefit of the doubt. Ive done things that if caught , would really look bad on me.

BUT..lets not make him out to be something he is not. 

How is trying to get the best contract for yourself selfish?  I hate this nonsense.  Every player wants max dollars.  No player decides to ask for what he's worth minus a discount.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

How is trying to get the best contract for yourself selfish?  I hate this nonsense.  Every player wants max dollars.  No player decides to ask for what he's worth minus a discount.  

But Fitzpatrick divided the team with his selfish attitude and "holdout". Lol. Hypocrisy much?

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

But Fitzpatrick divided the team with his selfish attitude and "holdout". Lol. Hypocrisy much?

I don't think we lost bc of Fitz;s contract but you can't compare maybe the greatest cover corner of all time and greatest player in jets history to a good backup QB that happened to start and play decent for a year.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not every player does what Revis has done. There are ways to get the most out of your career without  hurting the team you are on. I'm not saying it was illegal but if you want to be beloved by your fan base, you don't pull the crap he pulled. Plain and simple. 

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Find where i said this then chuckle fool.  While you're at it, what do you see in Fitz past, his history, puts him anywhere near a HOF player like Revis

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I don't think we lost bc of Fitz;s contract but you can't compare maybe the greatest cover corner of all time and greatest player in jets history to a good backup QB that happened to start and play decent for a year.

I don't want to derail this thread so I'll just disagree. Every player should try to get as much money as they can while they can because they're literally killing themselves out there. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

I don't want to derail this thread so I'll just disagree. Every player should try to get as much money as they can while they can because they're literally killing themselves out there. 

My first thought after the Giants cut Cruz.  Guy was on top of his game before that knee injury.  Now? Like so many, the slag heap.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I agree with that and I didn't bash Fitz for his contract demands, I thought the Jets handled it well by not giving him a long term deal but you can't compare what revis has done to what Fitz was doing last year.  Revis has been brilliant in negotiations, Fitz had literally no other team interested.  he still made a lot b/c we had no other QB and he got below market for a starting QB which still happens to be a heck of a lot of money.

57 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

His cap number this season is 8.5 million. If they cut him it's 5 million in dead money with 3.5 in savings. If they didn't rework him, those numbers were more team friendly. Either way, it's far too much money invested into one of the worst corners in the league. 

I am fully aware of his cap number, and your numbers are only half-right, since he can be designated as a June 1 cut if the team desires.

Re-read my post. It isn't because of his cap number. It's because none of the cleared space carried over to 2017 after reworking his contract in 2016.

If his cap number was $3m higher, but our spending ceiling was $3m higher due to carried-forward space, the net would be zero no matter what cap number is attached to his name this year. That $3m was instead used on others; it is in them that the team placed its new investments, not with Skrine.

His cost this year is the same that it would have been. Non-guaranteed $6m before, and non-guaranteed $6m now. The sunk cap hit is a sunk cap hit whether he's here or not. If he is designated a June 1 cut, the team can create another $6m of spending room without additionally harming the future. 

They are not married to him any more than before.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Not every player does what Revis has done. There are ways to get the most out of your career without  hurting the team you are on. I'm not saying it was illegal but if you want to be beloved by your fan base, you don't pull the crap he pulled. Plain and simple. 

Don't know how to break it to you but Revis is a pretty beloved player, as he should be, with the fanbase on awhole.  Most recognize the business end is separate for the rest of the game.  No one gets worked up when a team cuts a player to save money

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He is a mercenary.  I dont blame him either BUT I have the right to dislike his character. I do dislike his character.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I am fully aware of his cap number, and your numbers are only half-right, since he can be designated as a June 1 cut if the team desires.

Re-read my post. It isn't because of his cap number. It's because none of the cleared space carried over to 2017 after reworking his contract in 2016.

If his cap number was $3m higher, but our spending ceiling was $3m higher due to carried-forward space, the net would be zero no matter what cap number is attached to his name this year. That $3m was instead used on others; it is in them that the team placed its new investments, not with Skrine.

His cost this year is the same that it would have been. Non-guaranteed $6m before, and non-guaranteed $6m now. The sunk cap hit is a sunk cap hit whether he's here or not. If he is designated a June 1 cut, the team can create another $6m of spending room without additionally harming the future. 

They are not married to him any more than before.

I was going based on over the caps numbers. I'll defer to you about the intricacies of the actual cap as I know next to nothing. 

No matter the contract, he's still terrible and should have never been signed. 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Don't know how to break it to you but Revis is a pretty beloved player, as he should be, with the fanbase on awhole.  Most recognize the business end is separate for the rest of the game.  No one gets worked up when a team cuts a player to save money

Really because I  know a ton of Jets fans and none "love" Revis. Not sure which Jets fans you hang out with. Just look at this board and you get a pretty good sense that most jets fans are done with Revis and his shtick and are happy this incident happened so we have a chance to get rid of the bum without taking a large cap hit. Revis is no Dbrick or Mangold to most jets fans. He is more of  Keyshawn.  

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

he is not as beloved as he should be b/c Jet fans always treat players and coaches like crap.  he's the best player in franchise history and he's treated like he's some bum b/c he had one bad year.  over time people will forget that like they forget all of Namath's bad seasons but right now it's embarrassing.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Really because I  know a ton of Jets fans and none "love" Revis. Not sure which Jets fans you hang out with. Just look at this board and you get a pretty good sense that most jets fans are done with Revis and his shtick and are happy this incident happened so we have a chance to get rid of the bum without taking a large cap hit. Revis is no Dbrick or Mangold to most jets fans. He is more of  Keyshawn.  

it's why we have the worst fanbase in sports.  we have arguably the greatest to ever play his position and it's not good enough for the fans of the New York Jets.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I don't think that's the case at all.  Many recognize him as a great player (he was) but I don't know a single Jet fan that would call him beloved.   Most fans I know strongly dislike the guy.  

Great player, was great on the Jets but as far as I'm concerned he's not a "Great Jet".

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

He is a mercenary.  I dont blame him either BUT I have the right to dislike his character. I do dislike his character.

He's an absolute selfish turd who thinks he's much better than he really is.  He won a Super Bowl with the enemy.  He doesnt care about the Jets, their fans or anyone other Darrelle Revis.  And that's cool.  That's his right.  But I'm supposed to love and respect him because he had a good season for us 8 years ago?

**** Darrelle Revis and his sh*tty island. 

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Greatest player in Jets history? Hmmm, aren't you forgetting someone else?:D

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I was done with Revis when he faked "dizzy spells" in training camp during one of his contract disputes.  Really bothered me.  Still does.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I don't think that's the case at all.  Many recognize him as a great player (he was) but I don't know a single Jet fan that would call him beloved.   Most fans I know strongly dislike the guy.  

Great player, was great on the Jets but as far as I'm concerned he's not a "Great Jet".

Go to a game and count the Revis jerseys.  

He got old, fast.  All of a sudden he wasn't a great Jet. 

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Greatest player in Jets history? Hmmm, aren't you forgetting someone else?:D

not most important player, that someone else was most important but Revis is the best player we have ever had in their prime.  He's the only long time Jet that is in the discussion for best of all time at their position and he played at a level no jet has ever come close to matching from about 2009-2011.

Archived