Revis involved in Altercation; Criminal Charges Filed - MERGED

Matt39

Just now, nyjunc said:

this may be the issue, you are arguing something I wasn't even discussing.  at no point was I arguing we should keep him.  My argument was about him being the greatest player in Jets history.

which is totally irrelevant to the issues this thread was trying to address. Classic troll-like derailment. Move that nonsense to a different thread.  This thread is about Revis  NOW and the rest of 2017

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

which is totally irrelevant to the issues this thread was trying to address. Classic troll-like derailment. Move that nonsense to a different thread.  This thread is about Revis  NOW and the rest of 2017

sometimes threads move in a different direction, you clearly knew what was going on but you wanted to throw a "look at me" hissy fit.  Thanks for your contributions though.

I don't get it!!!

Whether Revis was a great player for the Jets or whether he sucks now and the Jets cut ties with him forever; really has nothing to do with this particular incident and Revis' potentially criminally conduct.  

You don't hope for or put people in jail because they were great players once, received more money than you think that they deserved or because you feel that they blew you off once when you and you kid wanted an autograph. 

We put people in jail for wrongful criminal conduct. The fact that the charges even mentions terrorism is IMO so emblematic of wrong with the whole criminal justice system.  Terrorism really? Oklahoma City bombing, World Trade Center stuff    

It is preposterous on its face!! And yet we have a criminal justice system that is far more interested in punishment than justice and it is killing the citizenry.  

Ok I'm off my soap box ? now please feel free to continue. :)

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

One of the many who is tired of reading your absolute nonsense on almost every topic.  adios muchacho.

Yeah if we need your help moderating you will get a message from me asking for it. Until such time, there is absolutely no need for you to tell people to leave this site because you don't agree with them.

54 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

but you have a guy in your signature who helped us reach 2 playoff apps(in a weak division w/ a GREAT defense), threw 47 more INTs than TDs and had 1 or 2 really good seasons. makes sense.

It is symbolic of our differences, you and I. I cherish the victory not the stats.  I am not a "stats" guy.  

Joe won.  I care about little else.  You want to polish a 2nd place trophy room with Chad, Mark and Revis?  I wont stop you.

39 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I don't get it!!!

Whether Revis was a great player for the Jets or whether he sucks now and the Jets cut ties with him forever; really has nothing to do with this particular incident and Revis' potentially criminally conduct.  

You don't hope for or put people in jail because they were great players once, received more money than you think that they deserved or because you feel that they blew you off once when you and you kid wanted an autograph. 

We put people in jail for wrongful criminal conduct. The fact that the charges even mentions terrorism is IMO so emblematic of wrong with the whole criminal justice system.  Terrorism really? Oklahoma City bombing, World Trade Center stuff    

It is preposterous on its face!! And yet we have a criminal justice system that is far more interested in punishment than justice and it is killing the citizenry.  

Ok I'm off my soap box ? now please feel free to continue. :)

Terroristic threats aren't the same as terrorism.

Revis conceivably could have said "I'm going to beat the crap out of you", which is a terroristic threat. Heck, just throwing the guys phone in the street is legally a terroristic threat. It's a pretty vague law that covers a lot of illegal activities.

5 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Revis conceivably could have said "I'm going to beat the crap out of you", which is a terroristic threat. Heck, just throwing the guys phone in the street is legally a terroristic threat. It's a pretty vague law that covers a lot of illegal activities.

Agreed. I get that charge everything I show up to a buffet hungry.,

Many people envy celebrities for their money and fame, etc., and the money sure is nice, but there is a steep price to pay.  

Darrell Revis has been playing over 10 years and has made alot of money.  For close to 4000 days of pro football he has avoided trouble.  But we can see how one lapse of judgment can have a very bad effect on a professional athete's lifes.  

I think our collective guess is that he was baited by these guys who are now seeking a payday.   We will not know the facts until the video comes out, and even then we may not know the facts.   

But we do know if that a famous athlete could could be worth $30+MM (if he made more than $100mm, I think he is worth more than $30mm) was out walking the streets in a place where people (including possibly him) were drinking at 2:30 am, that is just plain stupid.  Its sad that he can't do that like we can, but that is the price he pays for what he is.  This guys have lost somewhat their right to party in public.   I think most that do surround themselves with a well-paid entourage who take the fall for problems (which may happen here).

But paradoxically, this puts the Jets in a worse spot.  If they keep him on the team and he is in jail and can't play, they may be able to avoid paying him his guaranteed money.  If they cut him now, his guaranteed money may vest, because the Jets triggered the guaranty regardless of whether he was in jail.  And the courts tend to work with athletes, so the chance that he would be in jail during the season are pretty low.  

Knowing Revis I wonder if this was part of the plan.....

But like most of you, I am just sick of the guy.  Just cut him.  Take the $6mm loss.  Someone else signing him is much less likely. Yes, I have no doubt that if he does play in 2017 he will look much better than 2016.  But it is not worth it.  He is not the future.  Having him be a Jets in 2017 is like putting lipstick on a pig.  The Jets should just move on from this soured quart of milk.

15 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

It is symbolic of our differences, you and I. I cherish the victory not the stats.  I am not a "stats" guy.  

Joe won.  I care about little else.  You want to polish a 2nd place trophy room with Chad, Mark and Revis?  I wont stop you.

Joe won b/c his defense carried him, b/c he played in a weak divison, b/c he only had to win one home game to get to SB(while oak despite having better record and having beaten the Jets had to play a 1 game playoff vs. KC then travel to NY).

give mark, revis and co. one home game to make the SB and I am sure they would have.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

So what do we think the odds are that Maccagnan might have coincidentally been in Pittsburgh that night, having a little private conversation along the lines of "Listen kids, find a way to save us $6M and I'll make it worth your while."?

He didn't become NFL Executive of the year by accident

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Joe won b/c his defense carried him, b/c he played in a weak divison, b/c he only had to win one home game to get to SB(while oak despite having better record and having beaten the Jets had to play a 1 game playoff vs. KC then travel to NY).

give mark, revis and co. one home game to make the SB and I am sure they would have.

Yes, Im sure you are correct. 

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

How so though? Joe Namath played in a different playoff format. I might be wrong but under the playoff format Namath played under the Jets are not in the playoffs in 2009 and probably not in 2010 either. So they never even have a chance.

Wasn't it 3 divisional winners and 1 wildcard team starting in 1970? In 2010 the Jets finished with the 4th best record in the AFC East but it would have depended on how the divisions were set up. They may have missed because a 10 win team on the west coast won their division and the Ravens and Steelers both finished at 12-4.

22 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

How so though? Joe Namath played in a different playoff format. I might be wrong but under the playoff format Namath played under the Jets are not in the playoffs in 2009 and probably not in 2010 either. So they never even have a chance.

Wasn't it 3 divisional winners and 1 wildcard team starting in 1970? In 2010 the Jets finished with the 4th best record in the AFC East but it would have depended on how the divisions were set up. They may have missed because a 10 win team on the west coast won their division and the Ravens and Steelers both finished at 12-4.

In 1968 the jets played in a 5 team division needing to win it to make one game playoff for AFL title. The 2nd place team was a .500 team, our 2009 or 2010 teams would have won division w/ the 1968 oilers rather than the Brady Patriots.  Not only was it easy to win that weak division but we got an added bonus- Oakland and KC tied for the western division crown and had to play a playoff game while we rested at home.  another bonus was they rotated title game sites, one year the east the next the west so we got a home game we didn't earn.  it was pure luck so we faced an Oakland team at Shea that had a better record than us and beat us head to head w/ the added bonus of them having to play an extra game against an excellent KC team a week earlier while we got a bye and a home game we didn't earn.

In 1969 it was even easier as they added the 2nd place teams so Houston again was at .500(this time 6-6-2) and made the playoffs.  Oak beat that tough Houston team 56-7 and we again hosted a team we had a worse record than and lost to in the reg season but this time KC would beat us up en route to facing Oak for the AFL title.

45 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

I hear you it is just IMO the wording is inflammatory and designed to be.

For hundreds of years under Anglo/American law the statement "I'm going to beat you the crap out of you" has been designated an assault.  There is no need to say you are terrorizing someone.  IMO it is nonsense and just vague to entrap and over charge.

39 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I remember those days, you have no idea what Joe meant to that team! Your post is wrong. BTW, without Joe, the Jets would not have won their division.  Don't even mention Joe and Mark in the same sentence.

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

IMO the wording is inflammatory and designed to be.

For hundreds of years under Anglo/American law the statement "I'm going to beat you the crap out of you" has been designated an assault.  There is no need to say you are terrorizing someone.  IMO it is nonsense and just vague to entrap and over charge.

I agree. 

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

he is not as beloved as he should be b/c Jet fans always treat players and coaches like crap.  he's the best player in franchise history and he's treated like he's some bum b/c he had one bad year.  over time people will forget that like they forget all of Namath's bad seasons but right now it's embarrassing.

No, he's treated like a bum because of the multiple holdouts and mercenary attitude. All of his actions are fine as far as his contract is concerned, but that same action allows us to formulate opinions about him as a person as well as a player. Personally, I loved the guy until he left for TB, and haven't given a crap about him since. He sucked last year, so it's tough to feel any sympathy for him now.

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

In 1968 the jets played in a 5 team division needing to win it to make one game playoff for AFL title. The 2nd place team was a .500 team, our 2009 or 2010 teams would have won division w/ the 1968 oilers rather than the Brady Patriots.  Not only was it easy to win that weak division but we got an added bonus- Oakland and KC tied for the western division crown and had to play a playoff game while we rested at home.  another bonus was they rotated title game sites, one year the east the next the west so we got a home game we didn't earn.  it was pure luck so we faced an Oakland team at Shea that had a better record than us and beat us head to head w/ the added bonus of them having to play an extra game against an excellent KC team a week earlier while we got a bye and a home game we didn't earn.

In 1969 it was even easier as they added the 2nd place teams so Houston again was at .500(this time 6-6-2) and made the playoffs.  Oak beat that tough Houston team 56-7 and we again hosted a team we had a worse record than and lost to in the reg season but this time KC would beat us up en route to facing Oak for the AFL title.

You forgot to mention that KC beat Oakland, and went on to dominate the Vikings in the Super Bowl. Losing to the team that wins the Super Bowl is no disgrace, something that the "great" 2009&2010 teams can never claim.

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

You forgot to mention that KC beat Oakland, and went on to dominate the Vikings in the Super Bowl. Losing to the team that wins the Super Bowl is no disgrace, something that the "great" 2009&2010 teams can never claim.

Please, I'm old enough to remember those days, I saw those games.  Without Namath, the Jets would have been lucky to be .500. You can't compare stats because it was a different game than today.  Sanchez (I am not anti-Sanchez) doesn't belong in the same stratosphere as Namath.  

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

sometimes threads move in a different direction, you clearly knew what was going on but you wanted to throw a "look at me" hissy fit.  Thanks for your contributions though.

LOL @ sometimes threads move in different directions.  They sure do when someone like you derails it. 

ive never seen a poster that is as consistently wrong about nearly everything they post as you. truly amazing. you are wrong about everything.

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

Please, I'm old enough to remember those days, I saw those games.  Without Namath, the Jets would have been lucky to .500. You can'r compare stats becuase it was a different game than today.  Sanchez (I am not anti-Sanchez) doesn't belong in the same stratosphere as Namath.  

What are you talking about? I'm saying the same thing as you are. 

Just now, section314 said:

What are you talking about? I'm saying the same thing as you are. 

I know you are, I was commenting on the poster you were responding to. I can't even believe what he was posting. I was trying to re-emphasize and support your point. 

13 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I remember those days, you have no idea what Joe meant to that team! Your post is wrong. BTW, without Joe, the Jets would not have won their division.  Don't even mention Joe and Mark in the same sentence.

again, I said Joe was the most important player in franchise history BUT watch the "America's game" on the SB III Jets and see what Gerry Philbin thought of him at the time.

10 minutes ago, shevys said:

No, he's treated like a bum because of the multiple holdouts and mercenary attitude. All of his actions are fine as far as his contract is concerned, but that same action allows us to formulate opinions about him as a person as well as a player. Personally, I loved the guy until he left for TB, and haven't given a crap about him since. He sucked last year, so it's tough to feel any sympathy for him now.

we bash him b/c he was a brilliant negotiator? did you hate namath for qutting the Jets for months over a nightclub? did you hate gastineau for walking out on us? did you hate Chrebet for holding the Jets hostage in 2002?

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

didn't say it was a disgrace but 2009 and 2010 would have been SB teams if all they had to to was win one home game to get there.

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

ive never seen a poster that is as consistently wrong about nearly everything they post as you. truly amazing. you are wrong about everything.

thanks for being a fan.  it's always nice when people hurl insults at me and cannot bash my arguments.

25 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

You're taking the 2009 and 2010 Jets teams and putting them back in time. I'm taking the old playoff format and correlating it to todays NFL. It's just different ways of looking at it.

I understand your point. It's impossible to compare eras in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I know you are, I was commenting on the poster you were responding to. I can't even believe what he was posting. I was trying to re-emphasize and support your point. 

you do know Joe threw away the 1967 season, right? a season we should have won the division.  we lost the division by 1 game to Houston.  Hou was 9-4-1 and we were 8-5-1.  In our lone matchup against Houston(at home) we tied 28-28.  if we win that game we are 9-5 and Hou is 9-5 and we have the tiebreaker.  You know what Joe did in that game? 1 TD and SIX INTs w/ 2 returned for TDs.  Houston scored 7 pts on offense that day and we tied 28-28 but Joe had almost 300 yds!

Putting that aside w/ 4 weeks to go we were 7-2-1 and Houston was 6-3-1.  The next game we faced 2-10 at the time Denver.  Joe threw 4 INTs and we lost.  we fell to 7-3-1 and Hou won to move to 7-3-1.  The next game we faced KC, Joe only had 2 INts that day(of course one returned for TD) but led our O to 7 pts in a 21-7 loss.  we fell to 7-4-1, Houston lost and they fell to 7-4-1.  Next game we faced Oak w/ another 3 INts from Joe.  we lost to fall to 7-5-1, Hou won to go to 8-4-1.  Now heading into the final game we needed Houston to lose on Saturday and we needed to win on Sunday.  Houston won then guess what happens?  the gerat Joe Namath w/ nothing to play for throws 4 TDs w/ 0 INTs and for 343 yds to get to 4,000!  what a job Joe!

In 1968 in the first 5 games Joe threw the ball 172 times(34.4 per game).  the Jets were 3-2 and Joe just had his SECOND 5 INT game of the young season.  after that point Joe threw 208 more times in the remaining 9 games(23.1 per game) which limited Joe's chances at INTs as he only had 5 more the rest of the season and they won 8 of 9 on their way to the SB behind the #1 ranked D in the AFL  which forced 6 TOs in the SB and held Baltimore to only 7 garbage time points.

6 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

You're taking the 2009 and 2010 Jets teams and putting them back in time. I'm taking the old playoff format and correlating it to todays NFL. It's just different ways of looking at it.

I understand your point. It's impossible to compare eras in my opinion.

I understand your point but it was easy to make it back then, they didn't have a Tom Brady to worry about.  the 2 years Joe made the playoffs the 2nd place team was only .500.

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

your arguments have fallen flat on their face in this thread.  (The way they almost always do).  On top of that you derailed the thread.  Youo are no more than a stupid troll

You sure proved that.  Thanks for your participation!

Is there another "All time great" player who was at the top of their position for as limited a time as Revis was?

Guy had an all world season for us, and some very good to great ones too.  So, while his best is up there with the best ever, longevity matters in these conversations, as do things like heart and effort.  Revis comes up way short on the latter.

Archived