Revis involved in Altercation; Criminal Charges Filed - MERGED

Matt39

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Don't know how to break it to you but Revis is a pretty beloved player, as he should be, with the fanbase on awhole.  Most recognize the business end is separate for the rest of the game.  No one gets worked up when a team cuts a player to save money

Revis was beloved pre-Patriots, merely tolerated post-Patriots, and abhored now due to his two-hand touch tackling, lack of effort, and lack of leadership this past season.  At least that's the vibe at the stadium and for the most part in this forum.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Do a second level TE, that's what Shuler was, was a better player?  Couldn't shine his cleats? 

BTW, know how and why Shuler "retired"?  He blew out a knee and instead of rehabbing he sued the Jets, the NFL and the company that made the turf used in the Meadowlands.  

Clutch baby! 

You sound like a non-Jets fan at heart.   You malign one of the true Jet greats while lauding a self-engrossed mercenary like Revis.  A guy who would bolt from our team for a few extra dollars.  Revis is a fraud and a dick.

27 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Really because I  know a ton of Jets fans and none "love" Revis. Not sure which Jets fans you hang out with. Just look at this board and you get a pretty good sense that most jets fans are done with Revis and his shtick and are happy this incident happened so we have a chance to get rid of the bum without taking a large cap hit. Revis is no Dbrick or Mangold to most jets fans. He is more of  Keyshawn.  

Nah, Revis is more like Gastineau.  Keyshawn may have been selfish, but he never quit on a play or the team, ever.

SAR I

Just now, munchmemory said:

You sound like a non-Jets fan at heart.   You malign one of the true Jet greats while lauding a self-engrossed mercenary like Revis.  A guy who would bolt from our team for a few extra dollars.  Revis is a fraud and a dick.

Maligned who?  A person you don't know about, had no idea about?  Talk about maligning.  Did I call anyone a dick?  Grow up already

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Lol, you need to stop going through rosters of the past and listing players you never saw play.

Dickboy, I'm in my 60s and saw all these guys play.  Maybe one day get treated for personality disorder.  They're doing wonders now with medication.  But for you?  I would recommend a rigorous course of ECT.

27 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

it's why we have the worst fanbase in sports.  we have arguably the greatest to ever play his position and it's not good enough for the fans of the New York Jets.

There is a difference between appreciating his talent and liking him as a person.

Joe Klecko is beloved.  Mark Gastineau is meh.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Gastineau,  chrebet, cox, toon,  namath, boozer all did more for the jets o er more timd than revis

Gastineau was hated by his teammates and quit the Jets when we were having a good season in 1988, he was involved in 3 playoff wins but yeah he did more.(not to mention he made out w/ strahan after strahan "broke" his sack record)

Chrebet- do some research on his negotiations in 2002, let me know what you find. not to mention his 1 career 1,000 yd season

Cox? what?

Toon, on his way to a great career but nothing close to revis like.

Namath was more important to the jets and the game of football but nowhere near as good of a player as Revis.  namath is in the Hall for what he meant to the game, revis will be in for his play on the field.

Boozer had more than 618 yds rushing in a season one time but yeah he was better than Revis.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Namath wasn't half the player Revis has been.  No one in Jets history is close.

Namath changed the game. He was the first QB to throw for 4,000 yards/season, in an era where 3,000 was an anomaly. He played in an era where the defense could do anything, and I mean anything, to receivers until the ball was in the air. Bear Bryant, who knew a thing or two about football, said Namath was the best player he ever coached. Vince Lombardi called him the best passer he ever saw.  I think you have the comparison backwards.

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

There is a difference between appreciating his talent and liking him as a person.

Joe Klecko is beloved.  Mark Gastineau is meh.

SAR I

you don't have to like him but he's the best player we have ever had so he should be appreciated. it's sad how we tear down our ex players and coaches that have had success here.

23 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I was going based on over the caps numbers. I'll defer to you about the intricacies of the actual cap as I know next to nothing. 

No matter the contract, he's still terrible and should have never been signed. 

That's fine. If you don't want to dig into the numbers, a good rule of thumb is just how much is a player due to get paid in new money and how much of that is guaranteed. Any accelerated cap hit is incidental since (1) that money had to come off anyway since it was due to money already paid to the player in the past, and (2) that space can be re-cleared by renegotiating any other long-term player with salary swapped in favor of signing bonus. It doesn't make things worse or better; it just moves the hits (or space) from column A to column B. 

The only exceptions are (1) guaranteed money, like with Revis; (2) if, as part of a renegotiation, additional money was paid to the player, above the amount he was otherwise due. Skrine's restructuring in September(?) doesn't qualify for either of these scenarios. He was due to make $6.45m in new money in 2016 before the restructure, and he was paid $6.45m in new money in 2016 after the restructure.

It seems clear, by now, that none of Maccagnan's gloriously overpriced secondary should have been signed in the first place. The big reward was, with the help of that joke of an easy schedule, nearly making the playoffs one year. 

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Dickboy, I'm in my 60s and saw all these guys play.  Maybe one day get treated for personality disorder.  They're doing wonders now with medication.  But for you?  I would recommend a rigorous course of ECT.

STFU.  Your 60? Age or IQ?  

Anyone who claims James Hasty or better yet Leahy, was better than Revis should never call anyone dick, dickboy, whatever the f that is, etc.  

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Namath changed the game. He was the first QB to throw for 4,000 yards/season, in an era where 3,000 was an anomaly. He played in an era where the defense could do anything, and I mean anything, to receivers until the ball was in the air. Bear Bryant, who knew a thing or two about football, said Namath was the best player he ever coached. Vince Lombardi called him the best passer he ever saw.  I think you have the comparison backwards.

he did change the game and that's why he is a HOFer but he had very few good seasons let alone great and his 4,000 season was a BAD season.  he threw 26 TDs w/ 28 INTs, when we were fighting for a div crown he led us on a 3 game losing streak where he threw 9 INTs in those 3 games then in the last week when we were eliminated he threw 4 TDs and 0 INTs so 4,000 was meaningless.  he killed his teams chances and the team won in 1968 b/c they limited his throws which limited his INTs.

best passer Vince ever saw doesn't mean best QB and you are telling me his college coach talked him up?  tell me more?

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

STFU.  Your 60? Age or IQ?  

Anyone who claims James Hasty was better than Revis should never call anyone dick, dickboy, whatever the f that is, etc.  

GFY.  Every thread you poison is exactly the same.  Just accept that folks don't like you or your opinions.  Nothing wrong with being a tool.  We need people like you to make the rest of us feel good about our lives.

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Klecko, Maynard, Chrebet, Toon and Walker were good.  

Revis was much, much better.  

The thing with Revis is that his greatest accomplishment was doing nothing. 

Meaning that by just showing up and having DC's fear him, we'd go entire games without his name being called, there were entire months where he wouldn't even make a meaningful play. 

Now, you'd say that's pretty amazing.  But we lost a ton of games, we had a ton of losing records, we never won a division, we only won a handful of playoff games.  ESPN would be hard-pressed to put together a 5 minute highlight reel, I can actually only think of two meaningful interceptions he made and I watched every play he ever took the field for.

So I don't know that Revis is better than Jets who won Championships and made a huge amount of plays.  Revis was like having a DC who schemed very well, not so much Ronnie Lott or Mel Blount or Deon Sanders.

SAR I

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

he did change the game and that's why he is a HOFer but he had very few good seasons let alone great and his 4,000 season was a BAD season.  he threw 26 TDs w/ 28 INTs, when we were fighting for a div crown he led us on a 3 game losing streak where he threw 9 INTs in those 3 games then in the last week when we were eliminated he threw 4 TDs and 0 INTs.

best passer Vince ever saw doesn't mean best QB and you are telling me his college coach talked him up?  tell me more?

Consider all the great players that the Bear coached. You may want to retract that statement.

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Meaning that by just showing up and having DC's fear him, we'd go entire games without his name being called, there were entire months where he wouldn't even make a meaningful play. 

Now, you'd say that's pretty amazing.  But we lost a ton of games, we had a ton of losing records, we never won a division, we only won a handful of playoff games.  ESPN would be hard-pressed to put together a 5 minute highlight reel, I can actually only think of two meaningful interceptions he made and I watched every play he ever took the field for.

So I don't know that Revis is better than Jets who won Championships and made a huge amount of plays.  Revis was like having a DC who schemed very well, not so much Ronnie Lott or Mel Blount or Deon Sanders.

SAR I

in the easiest era to pass in w/ some of the greatest WR talent of all time he shut down opposing #1s like no one has before.  despite all the rules against him.  look at the talent we had on those 2009 and 2010 Ds and outside of revis where was it? yet we were top 5 Ds.

the handful of playoff games we won w/ him is more than we have won w/ any other players outside of Shaun Ellis.

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Thats a function of his position.  It's how he compares to others and did he do his job.  One thing, he played the other teams best WR, followed him around the field so when Revis was doing "nothing" their opponents best WR was also doing nothing.  If the rest of the team wasn't as good as he was it's not right to blame him for losses. 

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Joe Klecko, Curtis Martin, Joe Namath

their 4 total 1st team all pro selections equal Revis' 4.

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Consider all the great players that the Bear coached. You may want to retract that statement.

he was great in college, what does that have to do w/ his mediocre pro career?

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Nah, Revis is more like Gastineau.  Keyshawn may have been selfish, but he never quit on a play or the team, ever.

SAR I

No, he just demanded to be paid or traded and was traded away.  Didn't finish out 1 contract. 

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

in the easiest era to pass in w/ some of the greatest WR talent of all time he shut down opposing #1s like no one has before.  despite all the rules against him.  look at the talent we had on those 2009 and 2010 Ds and outside of revis where was it? yet we were top 5 Ds.

the handful of playoff games we won w/ him is more than we have won w/ any other players outside of Shaun Ellis.

Again, I respect the guy, but I don't view him on the level of Namath, Klecko, or even Mawae or Mangold.

And, as you say, in an era where it is very easy to pass having a guy who takes away 1 of 5 receiving threats on a given play isn't that big a deal.  We gave up a ton of receiving yards despite his strong play.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

GFY.  Every thread you poison is exactly the same.  Just accept that folks don't like you or your opinions.  Nothing wrong with being a tool.  We need people like you to make the rest of us feel good about our lives.

Who's the "we" you're talking about?  There are other morons on the board like yourself who add nothing?  Wrong there too shlt for brains.  

BTW, needing others to make you feel good about your life says you're a class a loser with little to live for.

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats a function of his position.  It's how he compares to others and did he do his job.  One thing, he played the other teams best WR, fooled him around so when he was doing "nothing" their best WR was also doing nothing.  If the rest of theam wasn't as good as he was it's not right to blame him for losses. 

I thought he was a great player, and he definitely took out #1 WR's routinely, but we as a team still gave up a lot of passing yards and there were still 3 or 4 other targets on the field who picked us apart.

Sort of like having a Ferrari engine on an AMC Pacer suspension. 

And let's not forget that during the Revis era our defense is just about the worst in team history in closing out a game.  4th quarter comes, watch out, the choke is on.  I can recall 1 play where Revis made a difference to get us a win and avoid disaster.  That's not enough.  That's not dominance.  4th quarter separates the great from the immortal.

SAR I

Regardless of revis's past accomplishments doesn't any of Revis supporters have a bad taste in their mouth from his performance last year and his complete lack of caring and passion. He got burnt every game. Now this. I get he had a hall of fame "past". This is now...And he is getting paid boatloads of money for playing like a 7th round draft pick.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived