Revis involved in Altercation; Criminal Charges Filed - MERGED

Matt39

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SAR I said:

I thought he was a great player, and he definitely took out #1 WR's routinely, but we as a team still gave up a lot of passing yards and there were still 3 or 4 other targets on the field who picked us apart.

Sort of like having a Ferrari engine on an AMC Pacer suspension. 

And let's not forget that during the Revis era our defense is just about the worst in team history in closing out a game.  4th quarter comes, watch out, the choke is on.  I can recall 1 play where Revis made a difference to get us a win and avoid disaster.  That's not enough.  That's not dominance.  4th quarter separates the great from the immortal.

SAR I

Not the same, we're talking about a player, his talents and how good a player he was.  Not the same thing as which Jet player benefitted from playing on a better team.  Just as it's not his fault that his opposite corner was thrown to in the last quarter because QBs knew beating Revis was next to impossible and even knowing the ball their way couldn't make a play.  What does that have to do with Revis?  

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Again, I respect the guy, but I don't view him on the level of Namath, Klecko, or even Mawae or Mangold.

And, as you say, in an era where it is very easy to pass having a guy who takes away 1 of 5 receiving threats on a given play isn't that big a deal.  We gave up a ton of receiving yards despite his strong play.

SAR I

Namath part of 2 playoff wins

Klecko 3 playoff wins(and I think he was hurt for all the playoff wins in '82 and '86)

mawae 3 playoff wins

mangold 4 playoff wins

Revis 4 playoff wins

Jets Pass D's w/ revis:

2007: 5th in attempts, 9th in yds

2008: 29 and 29

2009: 7th and 1st

2010: 15th and 6th

2011: 8th and 5th

2015: 23 and 13

2016: 8 and 17

and he did this without and good pass rushers, imagine if he had a top pass rushers wreaking havoc on opposing QBs?

only twice in his career were our D's ranked lower in pass yds allowed than pass attempts- his rookie season and last season.  outside of '08 and '16 we averaged being ranked 12th in pass attempts and 7th in pass yds so we weren;t giving up a ton of yardage through the air as he was shutting down every teams best option.

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I thought he was a great player, and he definitely took out #1 WR's routinely, but we as a team still gave up a lot of passing yards and there were still 3 or 4 other targets on the field who picked us apart.

Sort of like having a Ferrari engine on an AMC Pacer suspension. 

And let's not forget that during the Revis era our defense is just about the worst in team history in closing out a game.  4th quarter comes, watch out, the choke is on.  I can recall 1 play where Revis made a difference to get us a win and avoid disaster.  That's not enough.  That's not dominance.  4th quarter separates the great from the immortal.

SAR I

We don't make it to two AFC Championship games without Revis. I am not fan of Revis the person, but as a player he made our defense great. Was our defense perfect? No, but in this day and age of guys like Dalton passing for 4200 yards a year, we couldn't have asked for more from a CB. He would shut down guys that no one else could stop and he did it every single week and he did it despite our defense not having an elite pass rush.  

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We don't make it to two AFC Championship games without Revis. I am not fan of Revis the person, but as a player he made our defense great. Was our defense perfect? No, but in this day and age of guys like Dalton passing for 4200 yards a year, we couldn't have asked for more from a CB. He would shut down guys that no one else could stop and he did it every single week and he did it despite our defense not having an elite pass rush.  

he did it in this era where all the rules favored pass Os AND did it w/o ever having even a decent pass rusher on his Ds.

38 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

you don't have to like him but he's the best player we have ever had so he should be appreciated. it's sad how we tear down our ex players and coaches that have had success here.

Had he shown once ounce of leadership, especially when the team needed it most during times of internal strife, maybe we'd feel differently about him.  

He was indeed great on the field before the ACL and leaving for Tampa Bay.  After returning from NE, he has been nothing more than a pile of dog poop on the field.  He offers ZERO leadership in the clubhouse, and comes off as a me-first, selfish player at all times.  NO EXCEPTIONS. NONE.  From his rookie hold out until now, it has been the same selfish crap.  I could tolerate it because of his talent.  Now that his speed, agility and motivation are all tapped out, Revis is useless to this team. Combine that he stinks on the field and brings NOTHING to the table in the way of leadership, support or any intangibles, it's time to let him go, notwithstanding his once-great skill set and play.

When are we going to learn from NE? You don't keep a guy like Revis around because of what he once was. That's how NE does it and so should the jets. Mac should and must evaluate what he offers now (which is just about nothing).  

Your constant criticism of Jets fans is tired and stale.  Give it a rest or post somewhere else.  Sick of your bullcrap.  It never ends.

9 hours ago, win4ever said:

Contract gets voided, he's off the team.   

Now where do we go?  We have Justin Burris (who got toasted all of last year), Buster Skrine (Who we may not be able to move on from now), Marcus Williams (Who alternated getting interceptions with getting toasted), Dexter McDougle?  That's a bottom tier group.  Our only real hope of bouncing back next season was a recovery from Revis to at least league average.  These guys aren't talented enough to play man coverage consistently.  

So now, we have to get two starting corners via draft and/or FA.  So the savings from Revis has to go to say Gilmore or Buoy or Johnson?  Let's assume they need a contract just short of Janoris Jenkins to come here, 4 years $45 million?  Assuming the savings of Revis (of going from the $15 million cap hit to say 9 this year) is now mangled by the rest of this contract being large cap hits and dead money hits.  The reason the Revis contract was at least survivable was that, if we fire the GM/Coach next year, they could move on from Revis without any hits and start over with players that may fit their new system.  Now, we may have to pay up for someone this off-season with a decent possibility that anyone involved with making the decisions won't be around after next year. 

And we need a CB on the other side as well, let's say via the draft, so that forces our hand more in the draft as well.  

I'm not saying moving on from him isn't the right idea, but having no choice on the matter is terrible for the Jets.  The same thing with IK, where everyone said, it makes no difference, makes team better over-night, etc.  We ended up paying for it in the long term because we hitched our wagon to a journeyman QB.  

WHy do you hate Burris?

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/2/12/14590298/rookie-review-new-york-jets-corner-juston-burris-nc-state-flashes-nfl-potential

3 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Your opinion. In terms of what those guys meant to the team value wise they were as good as Revis ever was.

again, this is about greatest player not about what they meant even though revis meant a heck of a lot and maybe more than anyone besides Joe.

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Had he shown once ounce of leadership, especially when the team needed it most during times of internal strife, maybe we'd feel differently about him.  

He was indeed great on the field before the ACL and leaving for Tampa Bay.  After returning from NE, he has been nothing more than a pile of dog poop on the field.  He offers ZERO leadership in the clubhouse, and comes off as a me-first, selfish player at all times.  NO EXCEPTIONS. NONE.  From his rookie hold out until now, it has been the same selfish crap.  I could tolerate it because of his talent.  Now that his speed, agility and motivation are all tapped out, Revis is useless to this team. Combine that he stinks on the field and brings NOTHING to the table in the way of leadership, support or any intangibles, it's time to let him go, notwithstanding his once-great skill set and play.

When are we going to learn from NE? You don't keep a guy like Revis around because of what he once was.  Mac should and must evaluate what he offers now (which is just about nothing).  

Your constant criticism of Jets fans is tired and stale.  Give it a rest or post somewhere else.  Sick of your bullcrap.  It never ends.

you have no idea what he was doing when that was going on.

he was really good in 2015, not pre injury Revis that we were used to but still the best corner in football at that time.

we will learn like NE when we get a Tom Brady, notice how BB's cutting players didn't work out so well pre Brady?

sorry of the truth hurts.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

again, this is about greatest player not about what they meant even though revis meant a heck of a lot and maybe more than anyone besides Joe.

he was really good in 2015, not pre injury Revis that we were used to but still the best corner in football at that time.

we will learn like NE when we get a Tom Brady, notice how BB's cutting players didn't work out so well pre Brady?

your opinion is warped.  Seems like most here are tired of your horsecrap.  I sure am.

While Revis admittedly had a few great years, it's kind of comical to see the undying love for him given that it was only quite literally a few such years in his entire NFL career, with 2009 being the only one of those that truly stood out above others.  In 2010 he had his second holdout in 3 years, after which he showed up out of shape, resulting in poor play to start the year until it was the eventual cause of his injury, before finally stepping it up in the second half and playing like he was paid to.  2011 was still a very good year, but was the beginning of what would become a downward trend.  Before those 3 years he was pretty good, but not much more, understandable for a rookie/second year player, and after that he's never come close to being the player he once was, getting paid and praised off of reputation far more than performance.

Did he still have good years in 2013-2015?  Sure, but not even the best in those years, never mind deserving of all-time talk.  So bottom line, we're talking one truly great season, and another year and half that put him among the top CBs at that time.  Was nice to have and see when it happened, but hardly deserving of all time praise for a guy this team paid over $86M, and hit his peak just 3 years into his NFL career, regressing ever since, at an increasingly more rapid rate as each year passes.

In the end, we'll see what comes of this all and hopefully the truth wins out and all responsible get as they truly deserve, regardless of what side they are on.  If Revis is in fact guilty of what he is to be charged with, then none of the penalties for what he has done merits the least bit of sympathy from any of us.  Of course, I would think the same even if I thought more highly of Revis' career, but trying to put him up onto some sort of faux pedestal at this point is all the more ridiculous.

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Really???  He is the most selfish NY JET in the last 10 years.  I wouldn't wash my car with a Revis Jersey.

All honesty...  I havent read the charges, I dont care, I give him the benefit of the doubt. Ive done things that if caught , would really look bad on me.

BUT..lets not make him out to be something he is not. 

He hasn't had off the field problems. Holding out for more money is one thing. The stuff people were typing about him in this thread is another.

His play on the field, his contract demands and not living up to them are fair game. But saying he has some criminal past isn't accurate. He has been a good dude in that regard.

So I've kind of just skimmed the story so I might be completely wrong.

But it sounds to me like fans or agitators were following him around and Revis and his group felt threatened by them and a fight broke out.

It doesn't sound to me like he did anything wrong but I'm hearing two different stories. One says he was jumped by 5 men and the other says his group were the aggressors. Revis doesn't have a history of off the field altercations so I'm going to assume he did nothing wrong until proven otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While Revis admittedly had a few great years, it's kind of comical to see the undying love for him given that it was only quite literally a few such years in his entire NFL career, with 2009 being the only one of those that truly stood out above others.  In 2010 he had his second holdout in 3 years, after which he showed up out of shape, resulting in poor play to start the year until it was the eventual cause of his injury, before finally stepping it up in the second half and playing like he was paid to.  2011 was still a very good year, but was the beginning of what would become a downward trend.  Before those 3 years he was pretty good, but not much more, understandable for a rookie/second year player, and after that he's never come close to being the player he once was, getting paid and praised off of reputation far more than performance.

Did he still have good years in 2013-2015?  Sure, but not even the best in those years, never mind deserving of all-time talk.  So bottom line, we're talking one truly great season, and another year and half that put him among the top CBs at that time.  Was nice to have and see when it happened, but hardly deserving of all time praise for a guy this team paid over $86M, and hit his peak just 3 years into his NFL career, regressing ever since, at an increasingly more rapid rate as each year passes.

In the end, we'll see what comes of this all and hopefully the truth wins out and all responsible get as they truly deserve, regardless of what side they are on.  If Revis is in fact guilty of what he is to be charged with, then none of the penalties for what he has done merits the least bit of sympathy from any of us.  Of course, I would think the same even I thought more highly of Revis' career, but trying to put him up onto some sort of faux pedestal at this point is all the more ridiculous.

he had more great seasons than others that are truly loved by Jet fans, why no issue w/ them?

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

This thread is not about the best player its about Revis and his conduct off the field. You think he was the best player the Jets ever had? Fine. We disagree. Now lets get back on point. Revis will be cut no matter what kind of player he was. He is a shell of that player now and the Jets owe him nothing but a pink slip. All your blathering about what kind of player he was means nothing. Even before this incident he was most likely a goner this just cements that. Revis was a great player. His time has passed. Time to face that.

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While Revis admittedly had a few great years, it's kind of comical to see the undying love for him given that it was only quite literally a few such years in his entire NFL career, with 2009 being the only one of those that truly stood out above others.  In 2010 he had his second holdout in 3 years, after which he showed up out of shape, resulting in poor play to start the year until it was the eventual cause of his injury, before finally stepping it up in the second half and playing like he was paid to.  2011 was still a very good year, but was the beginning of what would become a downward trend.  Before those 3 years he was pretty good, but not much more, understandable for a rookie/second year player, and after that he's never come close to being the player he once was, Of course, I would think the same even I thought more highly of Revis' career, but trying to put him up onto some sort of faux pedestal at this point is all the more ridiculous.

THIS!

9 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He must not have read this phenomenal article from something called "Gang Green Nation," in which the author says Burris "looked very solid" and then provides no evidence whatsoever to back it up.

1 minute ago, JetFaninMI said:

This thread is not about the best player its about Revis and his conduct off the field. You think he was the best player the Jets ever had? Fine. We disagree. Now lets get back on point. Revis will be cut no matter what kind of player he was. He is a shell of that player now and the Jets owe him nothing but a pink slip. All your blathering about what kind of player he was means nothing. Even before this incident he was most likely a goner this just cements that. Revis was a great player. His time has passed. Time to face that.

As much as I love Revis I agree with you in the sense that the Jets do not owe Revis anything. He was paid very well for his services. That's all the Jets owe him, the money he's earned.

Just now, dbatesman said:

He must not have read this phenomenal article from something called "Gang Green Nation," in which the author says Burris "looked very solid" and then provides no evidence whatsoever to back it up.

:-k

Over the final four games of the season, he totalled 5 tackles, 4 passes defended and 1 interception. He looked strong at the line and fluid when turning to cover. Coming out of college he was considered a good press corner with a smooth backpedal and we definitely saw that over the final weeks.

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

So I've kind of just skimmed the story so I might be completely wrong.

But it sounds to me like fans or agitators were following him around and Revis and his group felt threatened by them and a fight broke out.

It doesn't sound to me like he did anything wrong but I'm hearing two different stories. One says he was jumped by 5 men and the other says his group were the aggressors. Revis doesn't have a history of off the field altercations so I'm going to assume he did nothing wrong until proven otherwise.

need to see the video.  That will clear up a lot of the discrepancy. Maybe all of it.  Until then, we must wait.  Guilty or not, Revis brings nothing of value to the team on or off the field.  This legal issue might be the Jets ticket to saving the extra  $6 million that would have been dead money.  Saving the money or not, Revis should still be cut.  He is a liability.  Removing him would be addition by subrtraction.  He is one of the worst corners in the NFL at this point of his rapidly declining skill set and motivation.

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Something written by "Gang green nation" is no more or less valid than an article written by Mehta or Dick.  

5 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

well stated. Agree 100%. Some here are trying to shift the topic to some ridiculous  "greatness" comparison between Revis and other great Jets.  Sadly for those few who keep doing this, that issue is off topic and entirely irrelevant to the dog poop that Revis now is on the field.  There is no reason to keep him on this team.  None, Not even the $6 million in dead money justifies putting this ex-great player, who is now a liability, back on the field in September.

7 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I am sorry, you are correct but the thread has moved into a different discussion which I was taking part in.  

we are allowed to disagree.

he's the greatest player we have ever had and our fanbase should show some appreciation.  

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

One of the many who is tired of reading your absolute nonsense on almost every topic.  adios muchacho.

you are not forced to read anything, it would be your loss and not mine if you stopped interacting with me.  instead of attacking me maybe you should just try to counter my arguments? 

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

need to see the video.  That will clear up a lot of the discrepancy. Maybe all of it.  Until then, we must wait.  Guilty or not, Revis brings nothing of value to the team on or off the field.  This legal issue might be the Jets ticket to saving the extra  $6 million that would have been dead money.  Saving the money or not, Revis should still be cut.  He is a liability.  Removing him would be addition by subrtraction.  He is one of the worst corners in the NFL at this point of his rapidly declining skill set and motivation.

He rebounded fairly nice in the second half of the season. He's far from a great player at this point and certainly not worth anywhere near his cap figure. But I wouldn't call him one of the worst corners in the NFL. More like a very average corner who will have good and bad days.  I'd still move on from him though at this point if I were the Jets.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I am sorry, you are correct but the thread has moved into a different discussion which I was taking part in.  

we are allowed to disagree.

he's the greatest player we have ever had and our fanbase should show some appreciation.  

you are not forced to read anything, it would be your loss and not mine if you stopped interacting with me.  instead of attacking me maybe you should just try to counter my arguments? 

my posts in this thread blow away your ridiculous contentions. Also, It seems like you participate here primarily to criticize other Jets fans.  Revis was once great.  We agree on that.  Revis stinks now. Perhaps we don't agree on that.  Revis brings no leadership skills to a Jets locker room that is in desperate need of leadership.  Another blow against him.  You haven't provided one legitimate reason why the Jets should keep him and start him.  Other than $6,000,000 in dead money, why should we keep him around?

6 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He rebounded fairly nice in the second half of the season. He's far from a great player at this point and certainly not worth anywhere near his cap figure. But I wouldn't call him one of the worst corners in the NFL. More like a very average corner who will have good and bad days.  I'd still move on from him though at this point if I were the Jets.

The stat nerds at PFF disagree. Have him ranked pretty far down.  Your own eyes as to what he did on the field, including the whiffs in the second half of the season by the way should be enough to persuade any fan.  Revis absolutely sucks now.  

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

my posts in this thread blow away your ridiculous contentions. Also, It seems like you participate here primarily to criticize other Jets fans.  Revis was once great.  We agree on that.  Revis stinks now. Perhaps we don't agree on that.  Revis brings no leadership skills to a Jets locker room that is in desperate need of leadership.  Another blow against him.  You haven't provided one legitimate reason why the Jets should keep him and start him.  Other than $6,000,000 in dead money, why should we keep him around?

this may be the issue, you are arguing something I wasn't even discussing.  at no point was I arguing we should keep him.  My argument was about him being the greatest player in Jets history.

Archived