• Brian Hoyer
    • Deshaun Watson
    • DeShone Kizer
    • Mitch Trubisky
    • Pat Mahomes

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want Kirk Counsins but in reality know that in terms of what it would cost to get him and what it would cost to keep him that will not happen. If Counsins goes anywhere it would probably be San Fran who could offer more that the Jets could. That being said Hack should be the guy. I am not confident in him but would love to proven wrong. If Hack is the guy I see the Jets drafting one of the RB's with their pick to try and take the pressure off of him. What would really suck is that they win just enough games to not be able to pick the guy most want on these boards. That would be typical Jets luck wouldn't it?

A cheaper alternative who has starting experience would be Nick Foles if Kansas City let's him go.  They could let the three have an open competition and let the best player start.  It shouldn't be a high cost signing and he has had success in the league.

I don't understand at all, people that want to base the entire 2017 season on their projection of the 2018 draft, a full 15 months away. I will admit I don't know sh-- about Sam Darnold. Never saw a snap. But that doesn't matter. The point is nobody has any idea what is going to happen between now and the 2018 draft. Darnold only has 10 starts in college. DCs could game plan better for him having had a better look at him and make him look alot more average. He could just sh-- the bed in 2017. Could have major injury. And even if he is everything you dream him to be, who says the Jets will be in a position to get him! No matter how low your expectations are for Jets if they go with Petty/Hack, is it hard to imagine Browns/Bears/Rams/Jags/49ers  being even worse? Hell, Browns could take another run at 0-16!

12 hours ago, Joejet said:

A cheaper alternative who has starting experience would be Nick Foles if Kansas City let's him go.  They could let the three have an open competition and let the best player start.  It shouldn't be a high cost signing and he has had success in the league.

Foles isn't on the list, but there's logic to your post.  He's not too old, so there's some medium range promise there IF both Petty and Hackenberg fail, I think he's healthy, and if he's available I assume that's not because he has done badly in KC so much as that it would be a roster move for them.

But I don't think they will make him available, so....

I realize mine is not a popular option here.  But I voted for Cutler and will explain why.

First of all I am assuming he would not be expensive.  If I am wrong and the Bears would insist any team taking him has to take his contract as is, then I would pass.  But the logic of the Bears' situation (I will not digress here on that, but I think I have reasons to conclude what that situation is)  will I think lead them to eat some of his contract in order to trade him. Along with that they will not seek much in a trade.  Again if they insist on huge compensation,  would pass.  So assume for a moment the Bears agree to something on the order of say a 4th round pick and a salary in the range of $10mil or less.  Okay.

Tanking is not a realistic option for the Jets.  They need to look like they are at least trying to be competitive for the coming season.  They do not currently have a Qb on the roster who is likely to make them that in 17.  And both Smith and Fitz are gone and not coming back.  Neither can they count on a Qb in the coming draft to both be available and make them competitive.

That leaves a Vet Qb in FA or a trade the only realistic option.  Among the alternatives...

Romo.  Pass since he's too fragile.  A team that has a quality vet backup might consider him. That is not the Jets.

Glennon.  I like him, but I agree with those who say he will be too expensive since (unlike Cutler) other teams and maybe the Jets themselves will say he has not reached his (potential) ceiling, and pay like the Texans did for Osweiler. 

Taylor.  I am far from sure the Bills will be seeking to unload him.  He does have talent, but I don't think he's going to improve much.  Still he might be a medium term solution given his age.  But I think he has some issues with his play, like he does not see the whole field, and I doubt that improves.  Which presumably would be why the Bills would move on, if they do.  But they won't.  They have no one else and will want to field a competitive team in the new post Ryan era.

Hoyer.  A cheap alternative who I think the Jets brass would fear being seen as exactly that by the fanbase.  Not a Jets move for good or ill.

Cutler will likely be healthy and is one year removed from a very good season.  He's not a medium term solution anymore, and that is a problem.  But he's the best reasonable option for fielding a competitive team in 17 and likely 18, giving the Jets time to assess Petty and Hack, and see if some better option is available in the draft (the latter is the more important consideration since I think the Jets have already concluded Petty is not starting material and Hack is too far off to say).  At the right price he would be the best Qb on the team since Favre. 

I also think these so called locker room issues are overblown.  I actually think he probably would have a good attitude in dealing with the New York sports media. 

So I voted for Cutler.

4 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I realize mine is not a popular option here.  But I voted for Cutler and will explain why.

First of all I am assuming he would not be expensive.  If I am wrong and the Bears would insist any team taking him has to take his contract as is, then I would pass. 

FWIW, there has been some posturing that Cutler will retire.  NFL.com sees this as a ploy for him to get cut, so he can choose his destination.  I would assume that means that he and his agent feel that he will get more than the $15M he will be due this season.  That does not bode well for the Cutler will come cheap alternative. 

Cutler considering retirement

I think Foles is only due $6.5M.  I might consider a trade for him, but I am not sure what the Chiefs would be looking for, if they decline his option he will also be out there sort of in the Glennon pool of young and unproven with starting experience but no real success. 

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

Foles isn't on the list, but there's logic to your post.  He's not too old, so there's some medium range promise there IF both Petty and Hackenberg fail, I think he's healthy, and if he's available I assume that's not because he has done badly in KC so much as that it would be a roster move for them.

But I don't think they will make him available, so....

Actually it appears that KC might release him for cap space which is why I posted the possibility.  I don't believe a trade for him would be realistic.

17 hours ago, gEYno said:

Want

That's tough.  I voted my prediction - which is Tyrod Taylor.   But if we're going want...that's tough because I want them for different reasons:

For pure comedic relief, Cutler all day every day.  Geno with a close 2nd.  It would be the most entertaining season ever.

For the future of the Jets, Hack or Petty.  They either have it or they dont and we need to figure that out because the Jets are ******* morons and didnt do this the last 2 years. Instead, we got Fitz'd. 

For the recognition that Hack and Petty suck and we're moving on from our mistakes, Watson.  I have no faith in Kizer, Trubisky or Mahomes...but they kind of accomplish the same thing.

Romo, Hoyer, Fitz would be so SOJ that it would be kind of juicy and awesome. 

If they're really looking for a long term fix in FA, Tyrod Taylor.  

Glennon would be a ton of fun too.  He's a terrible Football player who's going to cost an arm and a leg and it would be amazingly fun around here to see him completely bust out considering the amount of poster who actually think he's legit.

18 hours ago, gEYno said:

If Hackenberg wins 6 games with this team, and shows some decent moments, I'd actually call that a win at this point.

Fair enough, but considering we've seen the likes of 10 wins from Chad, 11 from Sanchez, and 8 from Geno, there's a good chance that such a result could lead to an ongoing commitment to a player that ends up sucking.  I would likely take the optimistic view at that point if it were to happen, but it still wouldn't be giving us the definitive answer we'd ideally want this year.

18 hours ago, sourceworx said:

People (including reporters) keep saying that Glennon is going to get an Osweiler type of ridiculous deal. I honestly don't see it happening. Glennon hasn't started game in several years, and there are a lot of QBs that can be had via free agency or a trade.

Glennon may come cheaper than people think. 

If you're right and his price tag does end up being much lower than currently expected, in that case I think he would be worth bringing in, but even then with the understanding that he would be competing for the starting job, not being handed it.

However, I'm still not so sure that will happen, as the QB position is always the one that tends to get most out of hand when it comes to money, because there are enough teams desperate enough for one and so few of them out there.  Even if the negotiations start out lower than expected, bidding can get out of control very quickly when it comes to QBs.  If that doesn't happen this time, then no reason for the Jets not to show some interest, but we'll see about that.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Fair enough, but considering we've seen the likes of 10 wins from Chad, 11 from Sanchez, and 8 from Geno, there's a good chance that such a result could lead to an ongoing commitment to a player that ends up sucking.  I would likely take the optimistic view at that point if it were to happen, but it still wouldn't be giving us the definitive answer we'd ideally want this year.

I guess I don't see Hackenberg having any ability to be "okay."  To me, he's either going to be the spectacular debacle we all expect, or he'll actually play to his physical potential and be above average.  We haven't had above average.

22 hours ago, Joejet said:

Actually it appears that KC might release him for cap space which is why I posted the possibility.  I don't believe a trade for him would be realistic.

Might is the key word here.  At the right price Foles appears to be the best vet Qb fit for the Jets.  His age is the best match, allowing some flexibility to draft and develop a Qb in the next two to three years if as I expect the Jets determine neither Petty or Hackenberg is the answer.  I merely voted Cutler on condition he come at a reasonable price and on the assumption KC is not going to make Foles available.

1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

Might is the key word here.  At the right price Foles appears to be the best vet Qb fit for the Jets.  His age is the best match, allowing some flexibility to draft and develop a Qb in the next two to three years if as I expect the Jets determine neither Petty or Hackenberg is the answer.  I merely voted Cutler on condition he come at a reasonable price and on the assumption KC is not going to make Foles available.

Trouble with Foles is how much he might cost.  He is due something like $6.5M from this year - other sources had it at $10+M.  The Chiefs probably can't afford either and are probably only holding on to shop him.  If we trade for him we have him for one reasonable year and then his age won't matter much because he will be back on the market.  If he is good he will cost, if he sucks who cares how old he is? 

Hack should get a shot. 

I HIGHLY doubt the Jets will draft a QB at 6. They probably will not draft one AT ALL, unless they cut Petty. 

If the Jets don't bring in a FA QB who will expect to start without competition, I think Hack will win the job and end up the starter. Even if the Jets cut Marshall, as long as they fill the holes on the O-line, Hack should have plenty of weapons. Watching Fitz get balls batter down, struggle to stretch the field, and require a clear lane and clean pocket to make an accurate throw down the middle showed me just how much a talented QB with good size and a cannon is critical to taking full advantage of the weapons around him. If the Jets are able to get Fournette on top of that, Hack should have plenty around him to succeed.    

Just now, PepPep said:

Hack should get a shot. 

I HIGHLY doubt the Jets will draft a QB at 6. They probably will not draft one AT ALL, unless they cut Petty. 

If the Jets don't bring in a FA QB who will expect to start without competition, I think Hack will win the job and end up the starter. Even if the Jets cut Marshall, as long as they fill the holes on the O-line, Hack should have plenty of weapons. Watching Fitz get balls batter down, struggle to stretch the field, and require a clear lane and clean pocket to make an accurate throw down the middle showed me just how much a talented QB with good size and a cannon is critical to taking full advantage of the weapons around him. If the Jets are able to get Fournette on top of that, Hack should have plenty around him to succeed.    

i think the starter will be reflected in the guys they cut or don't cut.  the more guys they cut like mangold/revis/decker/marshall, etc., the more likely they are (finally) gearing up for a true rebuild and then it's more likely that they believe hack has improved enough to win the job (vs. whom, that's tbd).  if they keep enough of these pricy vets that signals to me they're still in this b.s. competitive rebuild purgatory and then we're more likely to see a glennon/taylor/alex smith stop gap again.

Archived