Are you ready for the return of Geno in 2017?

JustInFudge

No thanks. Two seasons of poor performance across the games prior to playoff elimination followed by two seasons where he couldn't make it through a single game without injury. While injuries are not necessarily attributable to poor decision-making by Geno one cannot overlook that there is a greater risk of injury to a QB already beat up by moderate injuries who makes bad decisions while holding the ball. 

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Stark said:

Based off of what we have seen from Darnold last year sure.

BUT... what if Darnold sucks this season?

He could, that has happened to many a QB.  Then we move on to the next QB prospect.

(As an aside I don't think he is a Matt Barkley or Connor Cook.  I normally don't toss around high praise for Qb prospects at least a year out but this guy looked like the real deal last year every time I watched him.

just as likely that Geno is negotiating with other teams (yes, I know that it is too early and against the rules, but they all do handshake deals... we know that... just ask Revis and the Jets).  Could be set to be acquired to be some other team's back up.  

I still thing he is going to end up in Tampa Bay, Glennon leaves and Geno is the backup.

Speaking of Tampa Bay.  What are the rules for tampering re players talking?  Winston basically said the same thing or worse than what Woody said about revis a few years back saying that they wanted DeSEan Jackson.

Geno at 1/5M  or Cutler at 3/55M 

The only way I can talk myself into not going apesh*t over bringing Geno back is if the plan is to go with the young QBs and give them a real shot to win the job in 2017. Bringing in almost any other QB in FA financially forbids you from doing that (unless you're Pete Carroll) 

Of course, being the Jets, neither Hack or Petty will step up, and we'll suffer through 2017 watching Geno making Geno-like decisions. But at least we'll go 3-13 , have the #2 pick in the 2018 draft, and narrowly miss out on the top QB prospect in 5-10 years. 

Just say no.  he was arguably better in 2015 than 2014 and still only managed 4 wins.

Passing

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
2013 23 NYJ QB 7 16 16 8-8-0 247 443 55.8 3046 12 2.7 21 4.7 69 6.9 5.3 12.3 190.4 66.5 38.56 43 315 5.62 4.17 8.8 2 5 7
2014 24 NYJ QB 7 14 13 3-10-0 219 367 59.7 2525 13 3.5 13 3.5 74 6.9 6.0 11.5 180.4 77.5 44.28 28 175 5.95 5.13 7.1 1 2 6
2015 25 NYJ   7 1 0   27 42 64.3 265 2 4.8 1 2.4 28 6.3 6.2 9.8 265.0 87.9 66.2 3 19 5.47 5.36 6.7     1
2016 26 NYJ qb 7 2 1 1-0-0 8 14 57.1 126 1 7.1 1 7.1 69 9.0 7.2 15.8 63.0 81.3 30.9 3 19 6.29 4.82 17.6     0
Career       33 30 12-18-0 501 866 57.9 5962 28 3.2 36 4.2 74 6.9 5.7 11.9 180.7 72.4   77 528 5.76 4.64 8.2 3 7 14

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

This is a terrible move waiting to happen.  Pllleeeeeeeaaaaassse NO!!!!!!!!!  Sometimes players just wear out their welcome and reach a point where no matter what they do or say, the perception of them is so bad and negative that every single bad play, silly comment, and facial expression is scrutinized and just makes it very near impossible to be successful on the current team.  That's where we are with Geno.  He might very well move on to another team and be a productive NFL QB (I doubt it), but that will NEVER happen in NY.  Pack his bags for him and drive him to the airport. 

I hope you're right but I wonder if there's is anything to what everyone is speculating with regard to his kooky post.

Hope it's not true.  I can't take 3 picks a game anymore.

I'll drive him to the airport.  Free of charge.

First, I think it's a reach to speculate that tweet means he's coming back to the Jets. 

Second & third, Geno would be better off almost anywhere else, and the Jets would be better off with almost anyone else. They've changed coordinators, so it's not like there's any continuity on offense to talk about. The fans here will not cut him an inch of slack. Long before he even steps back on the field, the team will face massive repercussions: a level which I don't think they can withstand, being that Mac and Bowles are already treading on thin ice with fans. Just can't imagine this happening. At all. 

So yes, I'd be surprised despite the warning. 

Geno said don't be surprised. Well nothing would really surprise me when it comes to this regime. I have made no secret about how I feel about Geno friggin Smith but you know what? Starting Geno behind this OL and having a WR corps minus Marshall and Dekker(assuming they release both) means that Geno will probably be on IR within the first 4 games. That in turn will mean Petty or Hack starting without 1st team training camp reps which in turn will lead to the high draft pick we all crave and will mean Bowles and Mac are gone. So much as I hate to say it by all means bring Geno friggin Smith back so this franchise can move on from yet another half-assed front office and coaching staff.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

I for one, am totally ready for this.  It would be the most Jetsiest thing ever if this regime dicked around with Ryan Fitzpatrick for 2 years, never giving Geno a shot when it was the clear thing to do, with a better OC and 10x better weapons, only to bring him back after his contract expired to start again in 2017.

Cant wait!

Man, I can't even joke about this. I wanted Geno to get on the field last year instead of Fitz. Didn't happen. Then it did and Geno got hurt.

For this year, just pass on Geno. Need to find a real answer even if it means going 0 and 16,

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

If they go with those 3 as their Qbs then a lot of fan backlash. You do not spend so little on the Qb position in the NFL. All 3 are unproven, actually Geno had 30 starts and he's proven-to be a bad Qb. I don't think the Jets would do that and give up on paper for the 2017 season. With a reset on defense a fair to good starting Qb or even just a game manager could move us in the right direction.Look, I want to win in 2017 and not tank it. I'm looking forward to having a competitive team and there is talent here. At the least I try to sign Hoyer. Not Geno. 

Throwing away underdeveloped high draft choices works like a charm...Go figure

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

You don't drastically cut corners on the Qb position. You don't budget 3 to 4 million if you carry 3 guys on the roster. If you want to be competitive you have to pay someone. What do you use the saved money for then if not for a good Qb. That's what the money is here for. Geno will get a job somewhere but then he has to make a roster. Unless we cut either Petty or Hack there is only room for one vet Qb or a top draft pick. If we select someone like Watson it's then Watson, Petty and Hack. We have to commit money for the Qb position and I think Mac knows that. 

Let's just continue to throw money away on questionable QB's. That is a sound business practice. 

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

No thanks. Two seasons of poor performance across the games prior to playoff elimination followed by two seasons where he couldn't make it through a single game without injury. While injuries are not necessarily attributable to poor decision-making by Geno one cannot overlook that there is a greater risk of injury to a QB already beat up by moderate injuries who makes bad decisions while holding the ball. 

Petty could not last 4 games

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Just say no.  he was arguably better in 2015 than 2014 and still only managed 4 wins.

Passing

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
2013 23 NYJ QB 7 16 16 8-8-0 247 443 55.8 3046 12 2.7 21 4.7 69 6.9 5.3 12.3 190.4 66.5 38.56 43 315 5.62 4.17 8.8 2 5 7
2014 24 NYJ QB 7 14 13 3-10-0 219 367 59.7 2525 13 3.5 13 3.5 74 6.9 6.0 11.5 180.4 77.5 44.28 28 175 5.95 5.13 7.1 1 2 6
2015 25 NYJ   7 1 0   27 42 64.3 265 2 4.8 1 2.4 28 6.3 6.2 9.8 265.0 87.9 66.2 3 19 5.47 5.36 6.7     1
2016 26 NYJ qb 7 2 1 1-0-0 8 14 57.1 126 1 7.1 1 7.1 69 9.0 7.2 15.8 63.0 81.3 30.9 3 19 6.29 4.82 17.6     0
Career       33 30 12-18-0 501 866 57.9 5962 28 3.2 36 4.2 74 6.9 5.7 11.9 180.7 72.4   77 528 5.76 4.64 8.2 3 7 14

Who were the WR's those seasons? Didn't Geno start as an untested rookie because of a poor coaching decision in a PS game?

Your arguments have huge holes bro. This is a business.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I do not and would not support any such move.  

And I do not believe this Organization will either.

Didn't you cry for the Jets to sign Futz? I could not believe the organization would be dumb enough to sign him after May 2016.

1 hour ago, Flushing Roots said:

I hope you're right but I wonder if there's is anything to what everyone is speculating with regard to his kooky post.

Hope it's not true.  I can't take 3 picks a game anymore.

I'll drive him to the airport.  Free of charge.

Futz threw twice that many in one game

47 minutes ago, slats said:

First, I think it's a reach to speculate that tweet means he's coming back to the Jets. 

Second & third, Geno would be better off almost anywhere else, and the Jets would be better off with almost anyone else. They've changed coordinators, so it's not like there's any continuity on offense to talk about. The fans here will not cut him an inch of slack. Long before he even steps back on the field, the team will face massive repercussions: a level which I don't think they can withstand, being that Mac and Bowles are already treading on thin ice with fans. Just can't imagine this happening. At all. 

So yes, I'd be surprised despite the warning. 

The fans wanted Futz. Look what that brought the Jets....Back to Smith

24 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Man, I can't even joke about this. I wanted Geno to get on the field last year instead of Fitz. Didn't happen. Then it did and Geno got hurt.

For this year, just pass on Geno. Need to find a real answer even if it means going 0 and 16,

There is no real answer other than Smith. 

27 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I'd rather have Geno back at $5 million than Jay Cutler at $16 million, Josh Glennon at $15 Million, or Josh McCown at $8 million.

This....over and over. All the other QB's mentioned are going to command a sick a$$ salary and none of them have proven to give the Jets any more of a chance at winning than Geno but cost significantly more. 

Glennon?- someone's wet dream

Cutler?- born loser 

MccCown? just too damn old, whatever potential he had as a starter is washed up.

As far as dont be surprised? After the broken jaw in the locker room incident & stepping on the field after more than a year in which he griped and made it clear he should have been the starter and promptly tearing up his knee I dont think there is ANYTHING geno freaking smith can do to surprise me anymore.

dont mistake this post...I DON't want geno...I just think the other options at ridiculous prices I dont want either...maybe slightly more "dont want" 

Geno was our best QB last year.. :( pretty sad situation but he was..

Cutler/Glennon/Geno.. it's all good.  I just can't imagine Geno and his agent wanting to go through another year with the Jets when he could compete for the job for the browns or 49ers and other teams.. 

We'll see..

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

Didn't you cry for the Jets to sign Futz? I could not believe the organization would be dumb enough to sign him after May 2016.

The fact Macc and Co were so desperate to sign Fitz, or draft Petty, or draft Hack, should tell you everything you need to know about how Bowles, Chan and Macc saw Geno Smith.

The fact the team is reported to be interested in Cutler, Romo, Glennon, Taylor and more, and have Petty and Hack on the roster already (both Macc picks) should tell you everything you need to know about how they view Geno Smith.

Signing a guy who just helped produce one of the best Offensive production years in franchise history makes sense.  Every pro analyst said it was the right move, and it was.  It didn't work out.  No excuses for that, and the guy who didn't work out is gone, as he should be.  On egreta year, one sh*t year.  

Signing a guy who failed utterly as a starter, got his jaw broke by his own teammate over $600, failed to beat out a journeyman QB, and has been an immature twit every minute of his pro career.....doesn't make sense.  Two sh*t years, one broke jaw punk year, one couldn't-last-a-game-doh-injured year.  An sad era, and it's over.

Geno Smith isn't coming back here, and his faux-cryptic "don't be surprised" has nothing to do with the Jets.  It's PR, a "look at me, I still exist, and I'm makin' a comeback!" type of give-me-attention thing.

Archived