Nick Mangold Released: MERGED

choon328

37 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree meanwhile we keep Buster Skrine who was one of the worst CBs in football last season. 

Understand the frustration, and I sympathize with it, but whether or not he brings back Skrine has nothing to do with what he should be doing re: Mangold. The decision re: keeping/cutting Skrine is (or should be) independent of keeping/cutting Mangold.

I give Maccagnan plenty of well-deserved criticism here, but sucky as it feels this is the right move. You can't pay a declining-skill, unreliable, 34 year-old center, with 1 year remaining on his contract, $9m for an upcoming, non-contending season. And if you want to keep this fan favorite at his $9m pricetag in 2017, then you don't bring back Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2016.

Bring back RFA Wesley the dread pirate Roberts, and hope he improves further. Of course, the problem is that if he does then the typical Maccagnan move would be to then sign him to a $7-8m/year contract like he just did with Winters. The correct 2nd half of this move to cut Mangold is - and he can/should wait until after the draft, in case someone better than WJ falls into his lap - lock up Wesley before he's started/finished the season. The stupid move is to go with WJ all season long under the RFA tag, without drafting a successor, and then wait until after the 2017 season's over - when he'll be a UFA - to re-sign him long term. Hopefully he doesn't do that again.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will second guess any and all decisions made by Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles these guys havent won jack sh*t here or earned anything. 

Our current roster sucks and I do not see any success here anytime soon.

Nick Mangold $9 million 2017  Ryan Fitzpatrick no longer on the team $5 million 2017. 

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I weep for whomever sad sod we get to play QB next year.  A completely new, likely cobbled together from castoffs and late round draft picks, O-line.

Great way to fix the offense, that.

Alex Smith will be fine with our new O line. ;)

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's the only silver lining today. 

The Giants need a center. We can still watch him every Sunday.  

SAR I

Oh please, he won't last the season. I saw this coming in 2015 when Mangold was manhandled by some no name backup when we played the Eagles. Dude was abusing Nick I couldn't believe it. Addition by subtraction for the NY Jets this offseason.

2 minutes ago, King P said:

I said nothing about race and I don't hate White people. I have white friends :P

So I'm gonna need you to stop playing the race card :cool:

You are the one who (again) first brought up your politics into a thread from out of nowhere, and I sense you knew the reactions it would then bring from others. Cut it out; this is not the website for this stuff.

2 hours ago, JoeC36 said:

Watch, Belichick will pick him up. 

Would some of you stop with this,

"OMG!  The Patriots will get him! The Patriots will get him!"

The Jets need to blow the whole thing up.  What New England does during the, hopefully, 4-year Jets rebuild process DOES NOT MATTER.

New England is going to continue to go 14-2 until Brady's body breaks down.  Who plays center for them will not change that.  The Jets have to be ready to hit the ground running when the crybaby is finally finished.  Hopefully, around 2019 or 2020.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You are the one who (again) first brought up your politics into a thread from out of nowhere, and I sense you knew the reactions it would then bring from others. Cut it out; this is not the website for this stuff.

I didn't bring it out of nowhere. I was asked a question and I answered honestly.

If nobody replied, then the discussion would be dead in the water.

2 minutes ago, King P said:

I didn't bring it out of nowhere. I was asked a question and I answered honestly.

If nobody replied, then the discussion would be dead in the water.

Keep your "honesty" to yourself if it involves politics. Nobody cares about your political/societal opinions, nor mine, nor those of every individual here. It's childishly arrogant for you to believe otherwise, and it poisons the board.

So again, knock it off.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Keep your "honesty" to yourself if it involves politics. Nobody cares about your political/societal opinions, nor mine, nor those of every individual here. It's childishly arrogant for you to believe otherwise, and it poisons the board.

So again, knock it off.

I don't give a **** if you or anybody else care about my beliefs. And if nobody cared, they wouldn't be getting their panties in a bunch.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Disagree, I think Mawae though much smaller was way more versatile. No one got out of their stance quicker than Mawae pulling around the corner. Plus he was a nasty mofo that defenders hated with a passion. A true leader of an Oline.

Just my opinion.

Dirty secret about center is it's understood as DL guys got bigger and faster, the refs, coaches and the players pretty much agreed they had to let centers hold if not egregiously  some or they would get killed. Both guys are very good. Mawae could pull faster than Mangold, but Mawae might be one of the best at that ever, so that's no shame. Jets were lucky to have two of the best at center for going on 2 decades plus.

The guys directly behind them, well....

46 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

So, is Revis still a Jet?

So we clearly aren't a meritocracy or a values driven organization.

Guys we've cut so far were simple, little to no cap hit.

Revis is a different situation. And they may want to wait a while so as not to connect his release to the recent arrest.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

My #2 All-Time Favorite NY Jet, behind only Al Toon.

My disappointment is palpable.   This franchise continues to make moves I simply do not understand.

Revis?  Still a Jet.  Sheldon?  Still a Jet.  Hell, 90% of this worthless POS Defense and the Coaching Staff responsible for it?  All still Jets.  Clueless Bowles?  Yep, still here.

But Mangold, gone.  Folk, gone.  Two of our best, most reliable guys, and locker room leaders.  

But Dropsy Brandon Marshall, him we have to keep.  And "Like an Egg" Decker, whose been hurt or limited almost his entire time her (and was a major cause of our failure last year)?  All still (vastly overpaid) Jets.

Skrine?  F'ing Forte?  Dammit it all., all still Jets.

**** sake, at this point I wouldn't put it past this team to bring Geno back, and start him.  

Best of luck Nick, you're one of our best IMO.

Lol

jets-colts-4.jpg

Coming off of a 5 and 11 season, there wasn’t much doubt which direction the Jets were headed. The moves so far this off season confirm what everyone suspected; the Jets are in full rebuilding mode. Earlier this week veterans Nick Folk and Breno Giacomini were released. The Jets continued the purge today by announcing that 11 year veteran center Nick Mangold has been released.

The former first-round pick was extremely durable during his 11 seasons. He battled an ankle injury in 2016, which limited him to 8 games. In the 10 seasons before that he played in (and started) 156 games. That means he only missed 4 games in his first ten seasons, an incredible run for someone playing such a physical position. According to NJ.com this move saves the Jets over 9 million against the salary cap.

“Decisions of this magnitude are always difficult, but even more so with someone like Nick who has meant so much to this organization,” said GM Mike Maccagnan. “We appreciate not just his on-field contributions, but the imprint that his mentality and approach to the game leaves on this team.”

Off the field Nick Mangold was one of the hardest working Jets the team has had in recent years. If there was a charity event, it always seemed like he was there with a smile on his face, and he was always laughing and engaging with Jets fans. Here is Nick Mangold’s statement from Twitter.

With so many other positions to fill this looks like a vote of confidence for Wesley Johnson. Johnson, who is heaed into his 4th NFL season, started all 8 games that Mangold missed last year and played well. Early reports are that Mangold is not retiring and will look to continue his career with another team.

Visit our forums to read more about Nick Mangold being released from the Jets.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
u5STQLC5QDc

Click here to read the full story...

Archived